• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

MattAces

...Uhm. Would they just be preemptively removed because someone is suing?

I would say treat this professionally, the reviewer might or might not be involved, still not the main point here, since this is a review for the game. Different news after all.
Also can't wait to hear about your opinions! Even though I preordered it.

I'm an ole school cat and never gave a fuck about who reviewed a game. I started buying and playing games long before a teen-ager told me what to buy because of his rich history in the genre...LMAO. NO ONE can tell you about a game you enjoy. They can tell you about bugs, but not about what you will enjoy. I have decades of games on my resume.

ryseing

MattAces

I'm an ole school cat and never gave a fuck about who reviewed a game. I started buying and playing games long before a teen-ager told me what to buy because of his rich history in the genre...LMAO. NO ONE can tell you about a game you enjoy. They can tell you about bugs, but not about what you will enjoy. I have decades of games on my resume.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I wholeheartedly agree with you. I enjoy a lot of stuff reviewer don't. And yes, main point is how well it works or if it's a broken piece of garbage. Upon from that, I will decide it myself. Too bad general opinion will look at the score, 7/10, no buy, vr dead.

Haven't read them yet, but are they reviewing purely on the game or aim controller + game?
If it's only game, that's very impressive considering how shallow the game should be.

Edit :
From Polygon
WRAP UP:
FARPOINT MAY SEEM BASIC IN A FEW YEARS, BUT IT NAILS STUFF A LOT OF VR GAMES HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT

Kyolux

Still, unless you plan on buying every games, sometimes it's helpful to get a good idea of how a game is. Especially when it's games you otherwise wouldn't consider. It's not something to take as gospel, but it still has value.

MattAces

From Polygon
"THE PS4 PRO DIFFERENCE
I played three hours of Farpoint on a standard PlayStation 4, and then finished on a PlayStation 4 Pro to get a working comparison of the visual difference between the system systems.

The game uses a technique called supersampling on the Pro that renders the image at a higher resolution than the screen can display, which decreases the jagged edges on the game's textures. It's hard to explain in text, but the result is an image that feels more comfortable and ”real" when you're inside it. The difference isn't shocking, but it's certainly a nice upgrade if you have the newer hardware. "

So general consensus is Aim controller is surprisingly really good, but Farpoint is alright.

Edit : Also multiple reviews confirmed DS4 is pretty awful.

These reviews are great. Solid 7's is about the best I was hoping for, and elevated by the fantastic AIM controller. I was expecting a few 3/10's or something like that, but the game seems to actually be pretty good. Looking forward to getting it later this week.

MattAces

I wish all of them would separate Aim controller review and Farpoint review.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/sonys-farpoint-falls-just-short-of-being-vrs-best-fps-yet/
"Verdict: PSVR owners should try this partially great FPS adventure, but Farpoint alone shouldn't prompt a PSVR purchase. Skip the Aim Controller."
First negative for Aim.

http://screenrant.com/farpoint-playstation-vr-aim-controller-review/
”THE DEEPEST AND MOST SATISFYING SENSORY EXPERIENCE EVER IN A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER."

So general consensus is Aim controller is surprisingly really good, but Farpoint is alright.

I'd say that given what I've played so far, this is a really great example of what can be achieved in VR when developers tailor an experience around a singular idea. The fact that the idea is a gun peripheral is pretty much the whole point here. Neither is great if the other is sub par and both the aim controller and Farpoint are well designed and high quality.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that I'm playing on the pro and, again, I'm quite impressed with the visuals.

MattAces

I'd say that given what I've played so far, Farpoint is a really great example of what can be achieved in VR when developers tailor an experience around a singular idea. The fact that the idea is a gun peripheral is pretty much the whole point here. Neither is great if the other is sub par and both the aim controller and Farpoint are well designed and high quality.

This is the main problem with main stream reviewers. Without a doubt I would not even touch Farpoint if it's a 2D only game, it's shallow in feature, generic story (highly likely) and short game charging $50. But comparing to VR games, it is one of the most fully featured game, high budget and expensive game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I wish all of them would separate Aim controller review and Farpoint review.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/sonys-farpoint-falls-just-short-of-being-vrs-best-fps-yet/
"Verdict: PSVR owners should try this partially great FPS adventure, but Farpoint alone shouldn't prompt a PSVR purchase. Skip the Aim Controller."
First negative for Aim.

http://screenrant.com/farpoint-playstation-vr-aim-controller-review/
“THE DEEPEST AND MOST SATISFYING SENSORY EXPERIENCE EVER IN A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.”
Whew I didn't want to buy the aim controller for one game. I did pre-order the game on PSN though.

MattAces

Whew I didn't want to buy the aim controller for one game. I did pre-order the game on PSN though.

Arstechnica is the only one that says that though, you should read other reviews specifically talking about the Aim. All of them are saying you shouldn't play it with DS4 because of how awesome the Aim is. Some of them even went as far as saying DS4 is really bad, like UploadVR (yea I know some people are disregarding them because of the news).

Similar to PSVR during launch. GB showed it as the biggest broken garbage ever with the drift, but most of us never had any major problems before.

Karak

DS4 worked fine here. Aim worked fine.

Neither was amazing and across 4 systems both had issues at random times. Thats the issue with PSVR. It is ancient tech for what they want you to do in the game and there is a very easy to feel dissonance. So sometimes the cool parts get spoiled because the 80 dollar new gun still loses its tracking:( or the controller doesn't feel as nice, or the headset doesn't track because your moving so fast. I can deal with a ton of issues but they were noticeable here sadly just due to what the game sometimes throws at you.

Arstechnica is the only one that says that though, you should read other reviews specifically talking about the Aim. All of them are saying you shouldn't play it with DS4 because of how awesome the Aim is. Some of them even went as far as saying DS4 is really bad, like UploadVR (yea I know some people are disregarding them because of the news).

Similar to PSVR during launch. GB showed it as the biggest broken garbage ever with the drift, but most of the never had any major problems before.

Yep. I'm actually not sure how the reviewer could have come to that conclusion. The aim controller is really what makes this game shine. Without it, you're left with well made but fairly run of the mill FPS heightened by the VR element. With it, things really become that more immersive and fun. It's quite simply worth the extra cash for the bundle if you are at all considering this game as a purchase.

[edit - I haven't spent as much time with the game as Karak but I haven't run into any issues yet. My 1.5 hour run was free of any real tracking issues.]

Topper

Farpoint
Arizona Sunshine
Dick Wilde
Brookhaven
ROM Extraction

I'm hoping theres more announced soon but thats enough for me to justify the price of the aim controller ATM, although getting the bundle for $60 on amazon definitely helps. Can't wait to play this tomorrow. I'm more hyped for Arizona Sunshine but i'm hoping this will hold me over until that comes.

MattAces

Farpoint
Arizona Sunshine
Dick Wilde
Brookhaven
ROM Extraction

I'm hoping theres more announced soon but thats enough for me to justify the price of the aim controller ATM, although getting the bundle for $60 on amazon definitely helps. Can't wait to play this tomorrow. I'm more hyped for Arizona Sunshine but i'm hoping this will hold me over until that comes.

Games like Brookhaven, Arizona Sunshine are very well received from users, quite curious what it would be getting if it was from reviewers, to at least have a comparison scale.
We already know Arizona Sunshine is really good, as long as the port is not terrible of course.

samred

My Ars review talks at LENGTH about the Aim Controller, but for those of you who skip the full read, at least consider this as context:

Ars Technica said:
The Aim Controller offers a pretty thrilling tangible feeling of real arcade gunplay, and its buttons and joysticks are totally fine. And in short spurts, I really got a kick out of its full-body haptics. But I ultimately grew tired of those sharp rumbles, along with the Aim gun's weight and its reduced trackable space within the PS Camera's small field of view. I was bummed at the lack of pump-action on the Aim, or other gun- or motion-specific hardware tweaks.

Faking like a DS4 is a gun might seem weird, but Farpoint demonstrates something interesting: once you're in VR and your hand appears to be perfectly tracked by a VR camera, the awkwardness melts away. The controller already has triggers (which the VR camera maps your trigger fingers to), and since you're fake-running via a joystick anyway, it's all "less realistic" than, say, some elaborate VR arcade. I quite honestly liked playing this game with a DS4.

ryseing

12:45 EST and appears the initial rush is done. I'll do the thread in the morning when there should be more reviews up.

Metacritic right now stands at 73 with five reviews.

Karak

My Ars review talks at LENGTH about the Aim Controller, but for those of you who skip the full read, at least consider this as context:

Yep worked great and we had about 15 folks playing it throughout the weekend and no one felt odd with the controller. You just play the game with both hands equal or your left hand forward a bit lol(direct from a Sony dev working on VR:)"

Also not incredibly happy with the tracking area of the aim:( That was a disappointment for many.

Fair enough. I haven't tried the DS4 with it yet but I honestly have zero desire to do so. I'm not saying that it wouldnt be fun but the aim controller is the kind of peripheral that just feels right in this context, at least to me.

Hmm, saw most people saying Aim controller is quite light in weight, surprising to see that. I personally hope it's heavy though.

I wouldn't say it's heavy but long play sessions may prove to be uncomfortable, probably more from having your hands out in front of you more than the actual weight of the aim itself I think.

These reviews are great. Solid 7's is about the best I was hoping for, and elevated by the fantastic AIM controller. I was expecting a few 3/10's or something like that, but the game seems to actually be pretty good. Looking forward to getting it later this week.

Yup, I think these are good, can't wait till mine gets here.

ckohler

I wouldn't say it's heavy but long play sessions may prove to be uncomfortable, probably more from having your hands out in front of you more than the actual weight of the aim itself I think.
I've played the first chapter and a half and I'd agree that it's something you'll want to take breaks with simply because you're moving your arms a lot. The Aim controller is fine weight wise and is somewhat lighter than I expected but I don't think I would want it to weigh more. I actually have a bigger problem with standing in one place for more than an hour but then again I'm out of shape. :)

One issue my best friend ran into is that he's left handed but you can't swap the left and right analog sticks making it very hard for him to move properly. :( He tweeted the devs in hopes they'll add an option.

Any reason they didn't add a stock on the AIM? would it get in the way of the headset?
From what I've gathered, they designed the controller so that it would work as a prop for a variety of weapons, both real and sci-fi. I think having a pull back stock like the Sharpshooter would have been a cool addition but I really love the feel and look of the AIM. It's the gun-prop equivalent of a blank slate - great industrial design.

Karak

From what I've gathered, they designed the controller so that it would work as a prop for a variety of weapons, both real and sci-fi. I think having a pull back stock like the Sharpshooter would have been a cool addition but I really love the feel and look of the AIM. It's the gun-prop equivalent of a blank slate - great industrial design.

Ya I like the design myself. I like the idea of sort of having it generic. I wish it worked better sadly. But thats just a fact of the tech. I also didnt' find it heavy.

I gave it a 3/5 over at USgamer.

Farpoint is a game that does it's job well, showing off PlayStation VR and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller. The act of shooting feels great and intuitive in the game thanks to the controller. Unfortunately, while VR adds to the experience, it doesn't hide what's a fairly rote and basic shooter from an earlier era of gaming.

ffvorax

So reading a couple of review, the Aim looks like a BIG improvement in the experience of the game!
Also looks like better in the beginning than in the end, where is a bit rushed.

But overall a really nice experience. That said I'm convinced in buying it with the aim, but at this point I prefer to wait for a price drop, if it will ever happen... on the worst case I will just buy the game without the aim on sale...

Wishlist updated! :)

Mdk7

I still need to beat the game (I think I am almost there though, but my review will be late because of that), but I am honestly a bit surprised by the 7s it's getting: I genuinely feel it's better than that, I am having tons of fun with this game and the Aim Controller.
To me, this is really the first "real" game completely built with VR in mind, and it does so many good things it deserves more than 7-7.5, but I guess to each his own, as they say.

Freeman76

Will pick up when cheap, doesnt look like a must have to me, but I do want to experience the VR and Aim, even though it struggles with accuracy as some of the reviews state.

MattAces

I still need to beat the game (I think I am almost there though, but my review will be late because of that), but I am honestly a bit surprised by the 7s it's getting: I genuinely feel it's better than that, I am having tons of fun with this game and the Aim Controller.
To me, this is really the first "real" game completely built with VR in mind, and it does so many good things it deserves more than 7-7.5, but I guess to each his own, as they say.
Was waiting for your review but thanks for the quick impression! Might have to do with the set up but there are two reviewers so far saying aim controller is a hit or miss, arstechnica review mention to skip aim controller. Then we have another side of reviews praising how accurate Aim controller is. Not to mention the overall response from public demo/previews.

MattAces

http://stevivor.com/reviews/farpoint-review-what-remains-of-sci-finch/
Stevivor 8/10

Scores are too low, it's a solid 8/10 if ever I played one.

Even when we have holodecks some jerk is going to give it a 7.
Kind of expected, VR games are so hard to review, some reports about how Aim controller doesn't work at all or inaccurate, some say how great it is.
In theory, who would pay $50 or even $80 for a 5 hours game? Probably nobody

Arizona Sunshine, one of the most well received game for VR got 7/10 from HardcoreGamer (mainstream reviewer) but 9/10 from a lot of VR reviewers.
You don't have any depth in terms of mechanics, RPG elements, stats or whatever, you shoot stuff and change gun. 9/10

Edit : Also what happened to Dick Wilde, really excited to get that one.

Mdk7

Was waiting for your review but thanks for the quick impression! Might have to do with the set up but there are two reviewers so far saying aim controller is a hit or miss, arstechnica review mention to skip aim controller. Then we have another side of reviews praising how accurate Aim controller is. Not to mention the overall response from public demo/previews.

My review will be online on Thursday I think, but I warn you: it's gonna be in Italian, as I write for IGN Italy.
That said, the game to me is super solid all around, and just so much fun to play. Seriously, a stunning VR game that, despite some shortcomings, doesn't feel like a demo. At all.
And the Aim Controller is killer, just so much better than the shell of plastic I was frankly expecting.
They really, really nailed it IMHO, as it adds so much to the experience (and it's also impressive in how it messes with your perception, as using a shotgun and a sniper rifle truly feels different... even if of course you're always holding the same object in real life).

I respect each opinion, but in my personal experience this game is seriously one of those things that truly make you go "HOLY SHIT" when putting PSVR on.
And I would pay tons of money for something pretty much identical, but based on the Aliens franchise.

Top Bottom