• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man resists arrest and fights back cops (video)

willy_2

Neo Member
that's how most people who are resisting arrest are handled, the shootings just get more attention for obvious reasons.

that's how most people who are resisting arrest are handled, the shootings just get more attention for obvious reasons.

Nah, most of the shootings that "get attention" are caught on video. Most times a cop shoots someone, it's unquestioned and only because of video evidence is any action taken at all to question the validity of the officer's use of force.

Police brutality is way more common than a lot of people want to admit, without the video evidence provided by citizens in so many of these cases, these officers wouldn't even get questioned about use of force

and then, we're not even talking about when cops shoot people who aren't resisting and are complying

Cops shoot to defuse situations more than not, unfortunately

"lucky" for this guy, he's white

Some of the posts here read like you wanted this man to be shot.

Am i missing something?

yeah.

personally, i wanted him to get shot at least 5-8 times and be pronounced dead on the scene.

that is totally the point i am making here.

couldn't be a completely different point, nope.

so unfortunate that the perp wasn't executed on the spot!

take your blinders and earmuffs off.

Mael

No way a black guy would get that treatment.

Of course, he would have activated his black genes and easily overpowered the policemen.
If left unchecked he would then wreck havoc through the whole town probably causing the end of society as we know it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Do we really need proof that way too many cops are racist?

Like, somewhere between the FBI saying "white supremacists have infiltrated police nationwide", countless videos of cops abusing their power with impunity, studies showing that black people are disproportionately ticketed & jailed for the same crimes whites receive no penalties for; It's pretty fair to say that the law enforcement & criminal justice systems in america are racist by nature

It's been shown humans are racist by nature. So when one has the authority to use lethal force against another, I think extra training and conditioning to control for that is necessary. We clearly need to do better in that regard, but what I'm disputing is the value of a thread like this.

A lot of them are racist, and/or extremely biased, and that goes for entire departments. You can choose to feel otherwise, but you would be wrong. Reform is an absolute necessity.

I don't choose to feel otherwise and I agree that reform is necessary. I don't think this video should be singled out as a "SEE! WHITE GUY GOT TAKEN DOWN WITHOUT LETHAL FORCE! RACIST!" thread is all. Entire departments are malignant racist organizations that need to be shut down and/or reformed. In my opinion, a thread of outrage over a white guy not getting shot isn't helping that cause.

ignoring greater context to invent your own so you can make a quick and small point is...what you're doing. yes, yes, this is all so random out of all the million LEOs *wink*

I mean...you can choose to read that into what I've been saying, or take what I'm saying at face value. There's a problem with racism and police brutality in this country. Using this video to try to prove that point is at best problematic. That's what I'm saying.

Come on man. Do you really think that in this kind of scenario a cop is thinking "oh white guy, I better be careful...oh black guy, I can light him up no problem..."

I think there's a problem with racist cops, racist policies, and a lack of whistle blowing from the good ones. I don't think that means you can jump to conclusions about each specific incident solely due to the color of the skin of the suspect like everyone is doing here.

that absolutely happens.

and you have strange ideas on what makes a cop good.

commedieu

Banned
ecWfzKS.png

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
This thread would lead me to believe that no black man in america resisted arrest to this degree in the last 24 hours since I have not heard of a black man being shot by the cops in that same time frame. Is that the point?

EDIT: Added NOT Since I'm a dummyhead for not spell checking

akira28

I mean...you can choose to read that into what I've been saying, or take what I'm saying at face value. There's a problem with racism and police brutality in this country. Using this video to try to prove that point is at best problematic. That's what I'm saying.

People are trying to prove this now? I mean, if it's a given, like you concede, they wouldn't be trying to prove that point by using this video, would they? You can try to separate your words from the greater context, but there's more to this than face value.

this is just one small pixel in a larger picture that looks pretty clear to me.

Skinpop

Amazing how the cops were able to handle the situation without quickly pulling their guns out or beating the shit out him. I wonder why. 🤔

the video doesn't prove your point. I don't doubt that what you are alluding to is true statistically but using this instance to highlight unfair treatment is disingenuous.

Apt101

Those Swedish cops from a few years back would have hemmed him up in seconds, because they're properly trained to do so.

Enzom21

Come on man. Do you really think that in this kind of scenario a cop is thinking "oh white guy, I better be careful...oh black guy, I can light him up no problem..."

I think there's a problem with racist cops, racist policies, and a lack of whistle blowing from the good ones. I don't think that means you can jump to conclusions about each specific incident solely due to the color of the skin of the suspect like everyone is doing here.
It’s almost as if there is some sort of subconscious racial bias at play... nah, that couldn’t be it.

if these cops and this man are not the same as the ones in other situations that you are referring to. then I don't like where this thread has been going.

he also seems to be bleeding on the pavement so he either has a really bad cold or they did beat him a bit

Police are not some collective consciousness that act as one.

This is not to dicredit the conclusion being made about treatment of certain suspects vs others, but you make those points with statistics and analysis of large groups of data, not an Instagram video of one arrest.

it's ok cause the guy in vid and poster are white

How about we start holding cops for all the stupid stuff they do accountable. People are not a hive mind even though i understand the cultural issues that face the US and other areas regarding race. You shouldn't assume a person is going to do this or that based on what color they are, if they are a cop and so on.

Bad racist people are that though, but the assumptions presented in the every day world doesn't help anyone imo

I don't give a shit if you condone this shit as a black or white. Why is every single thing looked at in this manner, we aren't making it any better by saying and i'm white or and I'm black, how about we just don't put a difference in it at all. Well, that isn't happening I know so I say wasteful words like everyone else too, I know.

Shaanyboi

Banned
it's ok cause the guy in vid and poster are white

How about we start holding cops for all the stupid stuff they do accountable. People are not a hive mind even though i understand the cultural issues that face the US and other areas regarding race. You shouldn't assume a person is going to do this or that based on what color they are, if they are a cop and so on.

Bad racist people are that though, but the assumptions presented in the every day world doesn't help anyone imo

I don't give a shit if you condone this shit as a black or white. Why is every single thing looked at in this manner, we aren't making it any better by saying and i'm white or and I'm black, how about we just don't put a difference in it at all. Well, that isn't happening I know so I say wasteful words like everyone else too, I know.
Expectations of someone because of their skin color vs. Expectations of someone because of their chosen profession.

I don't get to ignore the stigmas put upon me because of my skin color, because I can't assume everyone else will. And neither can any other person of color. I do not get that luxury.

Nah, most of the shootings that "get attention" are caught on video. Most times a cop shoots someone, it's unquestioned and only because of video evidence is any action taken at all to question the validity of the officer's use of force.

Police brutality is way more common than a lot of people want to admit, without the video evidence provided by citizens in so many of these cases, these officers wouldn't even get questioned about use of force

and then, we're not even talking about when cops shoot people who aren't resisting and are complying

Cops shoot to defuse situations more than not, unfortunately

"lucky" for this guy, he's white

Is that your personal belief, or are there receipts to that? Police Brutality is a large and widespread issue (not restricted to only minorities, though severity and frequency is clearly up), but I don't think I've seen anything supporting your statement on weapon discharge in interactions.

But yes, this video does illustrate the gulf of difference between police interaction with whites vs minorities. And sadly because he wasn't shot, it'll hardly make the rounds in mainstream to question why this level of restraint hasn't been present in situations where, as you even highlighted, individuals were complying.

The JT

Neo Member
He was probably too close to the officers to shoot but if he was black they would had beat him i think.

Volimar

I have to admit that the "white folks get the kid gloves" posts do kind of sour the threads. Especially for me who lost my sister to being shot by a police officer. But I know the resentment of institutionalized racism that so many of our fellow GAFfers hold. It's hard to let go of, and to be frank, law enforcement as a whole doesn't really give them a reason to. It's so easy to hate the institution when they protect and enable those shitty cops.

I see it as like a venn diagram with the two circles being the institutionalized racism and the complete lack of accountability. What this means for POC is that they tend to get double the shit where the circles overlap, but there still plenty of lack of accountability for us white folks who are family members of victims of police brutality.

Oh and the officer that shot my sister? The police circled the wagons, the prosecutor declined to try for an indictment and he was given an award at the end of the year.

Those are some weak sauce cops. Can't even contain dad bod without the help of captain camo shorts. Get to the gym, boys!

Dad bod is peak physical form. You just have to accept it.

Verelios

This thread would lead me to believe that no black man in america resisted arrest to this degree in the last 24 hours since I have not heard of a black man being shot by the cops in that same time frame. Is that the point?

EDIT: Added NOT Since I'm a dummyhead for not spell checking
Grand Naga huh...

Apt.

Breads

Banned
How about we start holding cops for all the stupid stuff they do accountable.
Where do I add my signature? This is what I want. I'm not an idiot. I know this anecdotal case doesn't mean shit and indeed I know what the statistics are and how most arrest resists don't end with death. Doesn't change the fact that when a minority gets lit up officers, way more often than not, walk clean of any wrongdoing.

This is what I want to change. Well... that and seeing less people die to cops overall. Justice and actual protection in our communities. Not a threat or gamble.

I don't want to see white people get shot if that's what anyone tries to imply.

I have to admit that the "white folks get the kid gloves" posts do kind of sour the threads. Especially for me who lost my sister to being shot by a police officer. But I know the resentment of institutionalized racism that so many of our fellow GAFfers hold. It's hard to let go of, and to be frank, law enforcement as a whole doesn't really give them a reason to. It's so easy to hate the institution when they protect and enable those shitty cops.

I see it as like a venn diagram with the two circles being the institutionalized racism and the complete lack of accountability. What this means for POC is that they tend to get double the shit where the circles overlap, but there still plenty of lack of accountability for us white folks who are family members of victims of police brutality.

Oh and the officer that shot my sister? The police circled the wagons, the prosecutor declined to try for an indictment and he was given an award at the end of the year.

No doubt smh, it's not surprising that the cop would get off at all, not what so ever :(. We're you guys able to do any type of civil suit at all?

And to the other poster, there's no way the cops were fired for this. This isn't even slap in the wrist or "chill next time" material. More like "you should defend yourself better" material.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Grand Naga huh...

Apt.

There are responses in this thread that are sensational to be provocative and doesn't improve on the already understood narrative of the issue. Yes, it's true that improvements need to be made across the board from Training to Implementation but to paint all cops with a broad stoke is in my opinion reckless.

Top Bottom