• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

I'm not buying that the driver lost control because he was startled. These two were playing games with each other before the kick happened. The driver cuts the wheel hard to the left almost instantly after the kick. He was trying to hit the cyclist.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not.

This is all true.
I'm agreeing and with that there can be argued reasonable doubt to a jury for conviction for multiple reasons in favor of the driver but the biker have none to argue, in my opinion.

How do you argue a kick on the freeway and fleeing the scene? You don't.

Flo_Evans

I'm agreeing and with that there can be argued reasonable doubt to a jury for conviction for multiple reasons in favor of the driver but the biker have none to argue, in my opinion.

How do you argue a kick on the freeway and fleeing the scene? You don't.

Someone trying to kill you allows you to flee the scene.

The motorcyclist is guilty of minor property damage at best.

If I key your car, then you attempt to run me over but instead crash into someone else I am not sticking around to see if you are ok.

Anion

Bikes do have horns right? Had the biker not kick the car, I think anything against him would be incredibly difficult.

darscot

So what you are saying is you don't have a motorcycle?

Currently don't own one but used to drive regularly its just too rainy so I gave it up. Never have I seen a driver intentionally swerve to attempt to murder a biker. Sure I have had drivers not see me and had cars move into my lane. I live in reality though and can see the horrified look on their face when they see me. I'm not paranoid and think everyone is out to get me.

Lesath

You really have to be innocent or stupid to believe this. I mean not only does it not make sense, but its so bold when you don't have the whole picture.

Christ, did I hit a nerve or something? People get cut off all the time; the saner among us wave a finger, honk a horn, and simmer quietly for all of a minute. It takes a special sort of someone to accelerate enough to lane split at highway speeds to kick the guy who cut him off. So yeah, I'd say that's intent, escalation, and initiation, and at least bearing enough burden of a responsibility to fucking stick around.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Someone trying to kill you allows you to flee the scene.

The motorcyclist is guilty of minor property damage at best.

If I key your car, then you attempt to run me over but instead crash into someone else I am not sticking around to see if you are ok.
Problem being that attempted murder (intentionally trying to crash into him) is up for debate but the kick is not and regardless of that he still ran from an accident which he not only helped but actively engaged in causing hard to a innocent party which could have been fatal.

Why have he yet to turn himself in? So far all I see is the police looking for him, this is everywhere and he knows what happened and should have at the very least stopped and called 911 even if he drove a bit further.

If that dude caused the car to swerve with his kick, he should play upfront for Stockport County. He'd break the net with that right boot.

Trace

Banned
If that dude caused the car to swerve with his kick, he should play upfront for Stockport County. He'd break the net with that right boot.

Rewatching the video a bunch of times, it doesn't look like that happened at all. Looks like he kicked the car, and the car decided to push him into the guardrail without hitting it himself, swerved back and then lost control because he's an incompetent roadraging asshole who deserves to be locked up for a time to think about his actions.

Lothars

Problem being that attempted murder (intentionally trying to crash into him) is up for debate but the kick is not and regardless of that he still ran from an accident which he not only helped but actively engaged in causing hard to a innocent party which could have been fatal.

Why have he yet to turn himself in? So far all I see is the police looking for him, this is everywhere and he knows what happened and should have at the very least stopped and called 911 even if he drove a bit further.
I don't think it is up for debate, the video shows clear as day the car swerving trying to hit the motorcyclist.

At worst the cyclist should be charged with fleeing the scene of the accident and possibly hit and run.

At worst for the driver of the car he should be charged with attempted murder because of him swerving to hit the biker.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't think it is up for debate, the video shows clear as day the car swerving trying to hit the motorcyclist.

At worst the cyclist should be charged with fleeing the scene of the accident and possibly hit and run.

At worst for the driver of the car he should be charged with attempted murder because of him swerving to hit the biker.
Sure, if the driver goes down for it I don't mind, it's for a jury to decide, but to act as if the bike didn't play a part in what happened is silly at best.

Flo_Evans

Sure, if the driver goes down for it I don't mind, it's for a jury to decide, but to act as if the bike didn't play a part in what happened is silly at best.

Did you miss where the car already struck the rider before the kick? Yeah the bike played a part, he was the victim.

The bike's only crimes were Kicking and running.

He had no involvement in the braindead car driver decided to side check the barrier.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Did you miss where the car already struck the rider before the kick? Yeah the bike played a part, he was the victim.
You mean the part that was told as if the bike was lane changing and as the car swapped lanes possibly missed the bike and hit him?

Doesn't excuse the behavior an inch.

Both many be crown idiots, maybe the driver is the biggest one but without that kick to initiate the collision it wouldn't have happened.

Maybe the driver intentionally went left to push the bike away like a dumbass and lost control, maybe he freaked out, I don't fucking know, all I have is a video that can be excused in court while what the biker have is a kick and fleeing the scene of a crash he was involved with. There is no excuse for this.

After the first incident the biker should have called 911 and backed off.

Flo_Evans

You mean the part that was told as if the bike was lane changing and as the car swapped lanes possibly missed the bike and hit him?

Doesn't excuse the behavior an inch.

Both many be crown idiots, maybe the driver is the biggest one but without that kick to initiate the collision it wouldn't have happened.

Maybe the driver intentionally went left to push the bike away like a dumbass and lost control, maybe he freaked out, I don't fucking know, all I have is a video that can be excused in court while what the biker have is a kick and fleeing the scene of a crash he was involved with. There is no excuse for this.

After the first incident the biker should have called 911 and backed off.

Somehow you seem more upset at the property damage and "fleeing the scene" of an attempted murder.

This is why I like to ride in the woods. If a tree kills me thats pretty much my fault.

The fact that so many of you are so willing to come to the defense of someone who was engaging in road rage simply because of your hatred towards motorcyclists is what's truly sickening. Nobody is justifying the riders actions, how about you guys stop trying to justify the drivers?

Embarrassing lol

What, is everyone who doesn't agree with you just a hater?

Somehow you seem more upset at the property damage and "fleeing the scene" of an attempted murder.

This is why I like to ride in the woods. If a tree kills me thats pretty much my fault.

Don't forget "started a chain of events that reasonably could have lead to death."

Tecnniqe

Banned

I don't care about the cars, I care about the poor guy that got flipped because of this shit.

The guy could have died and both the driver and biker would be at fault to a bigger or lesser degree.

Him driving off into the sunset just makes him a dick.

The kick is a unnecessary and braindead thing to do for his own and everyone on the roads safety and the idiot driver panicking or not ain't much better.
The only thing more petty than kicking a car for something as common as almost merging into you is calling 911 over it.
Doing what you are supposed to do is petty? Because this went all so fucking well right?

Because 99.9% of car vs bike incidents are caused by innatentative dumbasses in cars.

look left, look right, look bike.

Half of those were not putting him in danger and most of the others would be prevented by not going so fast. Bikers are so full of themselves. They like to speed and cut through traffic but if anything ever goes wrong it's the other guys fault. I see it all the time here, and the bikers are only justified maybe 1/3rd of the time at best, and that's being generous. I remember one fun memory where I was in traffic, I started switching lanes, had signal on, and then right as I started a biker came into view cutting between cars probably at least three times our speed. I stopped moving over to let him pass around me, but apparently that wasn't good enough and I should have completely returned to my lane so he wouldn't have to move slightly around me (and I mean less than a foot over, not half a lane or something). Anyways he flips me off and then gets in front of me and does hand gestures like teaching me to be in a lane and not on the line. Maybe he didn't see my signal cause he was going too fast? Anyways, he speeds back up cutting through cars ahead of me and guess what? Within like 4 cars he exact same thing happens to him again. And he got mad again. Hmm twice in a minute, maybe it's not us, maybe it's him! No, that can't be, bikers are perfect.

Its hard to say how much fault the biker had in this case because we don't see what started it. Could be the car was being reckless and the biker was justifiably upset, but it's just as likely that the biker overreacted from something harmless or of his own fault and provoked he rage. Not saying the car was justified in swerving to hit him, not at all, just that we don't know what actually upset the biker so much to start that shit.

Back to what I was saying earlier, hey bikers want to not die? Don't speed, cut lanes and pass between cars like you own the road. Don't blame us for not seeing you when your doing that shit, we don't have 360 vision, and we can only quickly check what's behind us not examine it with a fuckin microscope. Your much smaller than cars so your a lot harder to see, so if your cutting between cars, it's a lot easier to miss you. If you hit someone from behind, it's probably your fault for driving recklessly.

Flo_Evans

A Link to the Past said:
Don't forget "started a chain of events that reasonably could have lead to death."

The driver? yes. Why doesn't he stop after the initial contact with the rider? Oh was he already scared? Poor dude maybe driving isn't for him.

So you have motorcycle guy - he is kind of a dick
Car driver - incompetent and potential murderer

Christ, did I hit a nerve or something? People get cut off all the time; the saner among us wave a finger, honk a horn, and simmer quietly for all of a minute. It takes a special sort of someone to accelerate enough to lane split at highway speeds to kick the guy who cut him off. So yeah, I'd say that's intent, escalation, and initiation, and at least bearing enough burden of a responsibility to fucking stick around.
You don't get cut off all the time on vehicles with limited protection and your actions have a really high probability of maiming or even killing the person. Get cut off or got on a bicycle or motorcycle is not the same as a car. Almost getting seriously injured usually gets a lot of people adrenaline going and makes them angry.
Half of those were not putting him in danger and most of the others would be prevented by not going so fast. Bikers are so full of themselves. They like to speed and cut through traffic but if anything ever goes wrong it's the other guys fault. I see it all the time here, and the bikers are only justified maybe 1/3rd of the time at best, and that's being generous. I remember one fun memory where I was in traffic, I started switching lanes, had signal on, and then right as I started a biker came into view cutting between cars probably at least three times our speed. I stopped moving over to let him pass around me, but apparently that wasn't good enough and I should have completely returned to my lane so he wouldn't have to move slightly around me (and I mean less than a foot over, not half a lane or something). Anyways he flips me off and then gets in front of me and does hand gestures like teaching me to be in a lane and not on the line. Maybe he didn't see my signal cause he was going too fast? Anyways, he speeds back up cutting through cars ahead of me and guess what? Within like 4 cars he exact same thing happens to him again. And he got mad again. Hmm twice in a minute, maybe it's not us, maybe it's him! No, that can't be, bikers are perfect.

Its hard to say how much fault the biker had in this case because we don't see what started it. Could be the car was being reckless and the biker was justifiably upset, but it's just as likely that the biker overreacted from something harmless or of his own fault and provoked he rage. Not saying the car was justified in swerving to hit him, not at all, just that we don't know what actually upset the biker so much to start that shit.

Back to what I was saying earlier, hey bikers want to not die? Don't speed, cut lanes and pass between cars like you own the road. Don't blame us for not seeing you when your doing that shit, we don't have 360 vision, and we can only quickly check what's behind us not examine it with a fuckin microscope. Your much smaller than cars so your a lot harder to see, so if your cutting between cars, it's a lot easier to miss you. If you hit someone from behind, it's probably your fault for driving recklessly.

:lol This post is hilarious bad. I've never done any of those things and still have almost been severely injured multiple times on my bike. For all your preaching, most of my close calls have come while I was stopped and shitheads in cars cut corners to hard because they're not paying attention and nearly run me over or hop over the yellow line because again they're not paying attention like a bunch of morons. It's bad too because you're taught because you have to stay close to the yellow line to be more visible but I've almost been run over 2-3 times by cars because they casually drift into the other lane. But thank you for the ignorant condescending speech on how I should learn not to die. Pathetic.

Nafai1123

Banned
Embarrassing lol

What, is everyone who doesn't agree with you just a hater?

If you can come up with a better reason for some posters dedicated insistence on exonerating a road raging asshole that tried to ram a biker, be my guest. If you've actually kept up with the story, you would know that the driver was just as responsible for starting the chain of events and escalating the situation.

Still not justification for the biker kicking his car, or leaving the scene of the accident. I've never said the biker was innocent, or a victim. I've said they should both be arrested.

The same can't be said of many in here, trying to take away the agency of the driver with bullshit excuses like "he panicked." Feel free tor read through my (many other) posts in this thread as I've made my point clear. Defending someone who tried to ram a motorcyclist is disgusting, plain and simple.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I've ridden motorbike and bicycle on the road and when car drivers drive like dicks they can hurt you, they are protected in their tin cans while cyclists are not.

It makes me furious when a car driver (weather i am in my car or motor/bike) does something that can physically hurt me. I take it like a physical attack trying to hurt me personally.

The motorbike dude kicked the car, the car driver tried to kill him in return. I would ride off too if somebody tried to kill me.

I feel bad for the SUV because of the stupid car driver.

Doing what you are supposed to do is petty? Because this went all so fucking well right?

It's like a kid complaining to a teacher that some random kid on the street called them a bad word.

The fuck are they gonna do about it? Either sort it out yourself or better yet just let it go.

Calling 911 over almost getting merged into is the most pathetic thing you could do. It's just a waste of everyone's time and emergency services resources.

What? He's responsible for reckless endangerment and fleeing the scene.

Come the fuck on.

The only person he recklessly endangered was himself. And yeah, I said it was a kick and run.

A) You know how how many close calls I've had when filtering/lanesplitting? 0. You use your eyes and plan ahead, check gaps for intersecting cars/people, and keep an eye on blinkers/cars that look like they're gonna do something, and don't go faster than you can react. The guy in your post was an idiot, and he doesn't change anything.

You know how many I've had when I've just been riding like a car in a lane, or waiting in traffic like a car? Being merged into, almost rear ended whatever? Countless. Hell even today I was just chilling at a red traffic light and 10 seconds later I hear the skidding of tires right behind me and this dumb bitch in someone expensive ass looking car with its bumper basically touching my rear wheel and her fucking phone in her hand.

B) One guy fingered you and you're gonna cry about it? The aforementioned woman that almost rear ended me doesn't make me go 'ugh car drivers are just the worst you know, they're so full of themselves'.

Most bikers are great and most car drivers and very nice and even make room for me to filter. Running into an idiot on my route to work doesn't change that.

Edit: Don't like long posts, tried to shorten it.

Kenstar

When I hear a loud thud on my car I usually brake and slow down instead of swerving into the person next to me

but that's just me tho

When I hear a loud thud on my car I usually brake and slow down instead of swerving into the person next to me

but that's just me tho
Not everyone reacts the same or even rationally.

I seen a car get hit when merging and do a full donut because of panic.

Totally looks like the guy tried to knock him over though, they should both be banned from driving.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm still not sure why most people have picked a side without seeing the minute before the video starts.

CHC

So what you are saying is you don't have a motorcycle?

Been riding for 15 years and this is not the reality of owning a motorcycle. People do not actively try to kill you, they're simply idiots. This persecution complex by online motorcycle groups is very silly. The worst that happens is some hot-shot in a Charger or some such car either tailgating me or trying to keep pace when I'm going much faster than most other traffic, looking for a race.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Because 99.9% of car vs bike incidents are caused by innatentative dumbasses in cars.

look left, look right, look bike.

Jesus christ. This guy is blaming every other driver when he's driving like an aggressive asshole and zipping past traffic and in and out of cars. He's the one nearly causing most of those problems. It's like there's a motorcycle entitlement where you can go fast, accelerate faster than everyone else, zip in between cars and then blame everyone else when they didn't anticipate you. No wonder people are caught off guard. Whether some of his actions are legal or not. I mean I don't know the speed limits or how fast he was going but he was flying past the other traffic, and merging in and out being very aggressive.

That video has been great for showing just how clueless gaf drivers truly are.

do explain how the rider here (and no, it isnt me) caused even 1 of these near miss situations.

hell there is only 9 or 10 clips, explain each one of them...

inb4 completely failing to understand basic australian road rules and the fact the wide angle lenses make everything look further away and moving a lot faster then it is.

M52B28

Banned
Rewatching the video a bunch of times, it doesn't look like that happened at all. Looks like he kicked the car, and the car decided to push him into the guardrail without hitting it himself, swerved back and then lost control because he's an incompetent roadraging asshole who deserves to be locked up for a time to think about his actions.
Lololol

Izayoi

Banned
I'm still not sure why most people have picked a side without seeing the minute before the video starts.
To be fair, we have testimony from both the person who filmed the incident and the father of the car's driver. From what it sounds like, the car definitely initiated the incident by being careless - the rider then escalated the incident by kicking the car.

Been riding for 15 years and this is not the reality of owning a motorcycle. People do not actively try to kill you, they're simply idiots. This persecution complex by online motorcycle groups is very silly. The worst that happens is some hot-shot in a Charger or some such car either tailgating me or trying to keep pace when I'm going much faster than most other traffic, looking for a race.

The worst is when cars tailgate you when you're already going 30 in a 20 school zone.

I wish there was a universal hand sign for 'It's a school zone you fuckwit' to get people to back off or something.

For the guy in the car or for you? Lol

I would like to go slower in them and do when not being tailgated.

But I would also like to not get rear ended or side swiped.

That said Is till do 30 in those new nonschool 20 zones that used to be 30 and they changed for no good reason.

Though, I guess I used to do somewhat higher back when they were 30 zones, so their evil plan is working I guess. But doing 20 outside of a school zone is ridiculous and impossible and I'm pretty sure nobody does it. Its only in school zones where I make a conscious effort to be as close to 20 as I'm allowed.

The biker was basically throwing pebbles at a tank. Was it stupid, yes. But I don't see how he is linked to an accident caused by this idiot driver. What if the driver pulled out a gun and shot at him but the bullet hit someone else. You would blame the biker for the guy shooting someone? You can't compare someone swerving in a lanr violently to someone kicking at your car while in a sitting position. One cause an accident, the other is a douchebag thing which will probably not even leave a mark on your car.

GatorBait

The biker was basically throwing pebbles at a tank. Was it stupid, yes. But I don't see how he is linked to an accident caused by this idiot driver.

The only way that occurs is if the swerve wasn't intentional, but an involuntary reaction to the kick. That creates a causal relationship between the kick and the accident. That's one of the reasons you have a disagreement in this thread, especially because the intent of the car driver would be a question for the finder of fact/jury to decide.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Back to what I was saying earlier, hey bikers want to not die? Don't speed, cut lanes and pass between cars like you own the road.

Oh fuck off.

I was hit and nearly killed last night because an inattetitive dumbass in a car decided giving way was optional.

I was riding at the speed limit, left most of 2 forward lanes (Australia) and the driver turned across from the on coming lane into a side street. Hit him at 60kph went flying into the air and landed head first on the bitumen.

XmW7yun.png

i ended up finally stopping where the yellow box is

But no, its my fault because I'm just another asshole aggressive biker. Fuck off...

Oh fuck off.

I was hit and nearly killed last night because an inattetitive dumbass in a car decided giving way was optional.

I was riding at the speed limit, left most of 2 forward lanes (Australia) and the driver turned across from the on coming lane into a side street. Hit him at 60kph went flying into the air and landed head first on the bitumen.

i ended up finally stopping where the yellow box is

But no, its my fault because I'm just another asshole aggressive biker. Fuck off...

So maybe he's not talking about you? And no need to be so verbally aggressive.

Top Bottom