• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A Certain Magical Virtual-On" launches Feb 15 in Japan (Gameplay Trailer)

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/09/certain-magical-virtual-launches-february-15-japan

A Certain Magical Virtual-On will launch for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in Japan on February 15, Sega announced at the 2017 PlayStation Press Conference in Japan.

The game will cost 7,900 yen on PlayStation 4 and 6,900 yen on PS Vita. A first-print limited edition will also be available for 12,490 yen on PlayStation 4 and 10,990 yen on PS Vita.

Gameplay Trailer from TGS conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlJ9qhr2wA

Long story short, it looks like Virtual-On gameplay

EDIT:

Gameplay from the live shows

https://youtu.be/_laDWgM668Y

Index/Bal-Bados uses 'cutesy' attacks like neko-beam and icecream cone missiles. Her boost weapon is the Angel Feathers from Dragon's Breath.

Kuroko/Fei-Yen moves pretty fast and they were showing some kind of block function? Her boost weapon is to summon a rain of swords that looks like it chases after the opponent.

Misaki/Angelan is a mage type character that summons a golden dragon and ice shards. Her boost weapon.... Just summons a golden dragon and 5 ice shards.... Not entirely sure what it does.

https://youtu.be/AkEH4vy3PXM

Touma/Temjin is standard with Touma's mega punch as a boost weapon

Mikoto/Raiden is standard with Mikoto's railgun as a boost weapon

B.O.O.M

Gameplay looks like a lot of fun.

That stupid song is gonna get stuck in my head all day now 'reality reality'

I don't follow the anime stuff but the gameplay made me so emotional. Never thought I'd see VO in this level of visual fidelity.

Clov

This is still such a bizarre crossover. Looks like a lot of fun though! I'm hoping for an Asian English version at the very least.

Bishop89

Yup, looks like virtual-on..

Im a huge Virtual-on fan, my favourite Arcade game.

I really hope this releases in the west :'(

Hopefully we can play it in English. Would love to import only cause I love VO so dam much. OT is still one of my fav mecha games of all time(....well i love all mecha games)

low-G

I don't know about this anime stuff, but that looks like a modern day VO to me, even if it's basically just OT...

I am prepared to eat crow on this one. I thought it was going to be a poor cash-in project but that gameplay looked good.

Not the biggest fan of the new mecha designs but they aren't horrible either.

Aesnath

I remember playing virtual on quite a bit on the Saturn. I never really understood what I was doing, but it didn't stop it from being fun.

I'm a little interested.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I'll just reiterate what I said in the other thread. Ahem...

On one hand, a new Virtual On game.

On the other hand...

U25NPWW.jpg

On the other hand...

https://youtu.be/TkiWIpiQjbQ?t=2m1s

VariantX

This game is the result of someone's hopeful, but ultimately misguided monkey's paw wish isn't it? I'm probably still gonna buy though...

Tain

oops I also posted a thread on this way after the fact

anyway, this looks SO FUCKING GOOD (once the game starts)

NEO0MJ

How many mechs are there in Vitrtual On? Might give me an idea of the remaining characters they could announce.

The original had 8 and in the sequel Oratorio Tangram they all got upgraded new looks, as well as introducing 2 more mechas. I think Force and Marz added even more but I don't know much about those two.

kewlmyc

Link from my previous thread http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1433902

It's basically Virtual-On with a new point system and an extra move that lets you use the abilities of the Index characters.

What those abilities are they haven't mentioned yet but it's obviously going to be related to the Character's canon abilities

So Accelerator's character (the white hair boy) will be busted, while Touma's (Black haired boy) will probably null everyone elses abilities.

Yea, definitely not feeling the Index stuff but that's looking like Virtual-On alright. Hopefully it ends up being something nice for both crowds.

So Accelerator's character (the white hair boy) will be busted, while Touma's (Black haired boy) will probably null everyone elses abilities.

Then Kuroko (Twin-tail) would teleport, Mikoto (short hair) would have a railgun, Misaki (Long hair) would have.. well taking control of the opponent would be too broken, maybe aiming interference, and Index (Nun) would have........ a bite attack, boring the enemy by lecturing about magic rituals. I am drawing a blank for the last one.

flashman92

Neo Member
Is this gonna be another game Sega refuses to bring over here?

I don't want to have to add this to the list along with Shining Force Feather, PSO2, and all those Puyo games.

Ferr986

I wish this had a PC port so I could mod out all the anime crap. The actual gameplay looks so good but ugh at the non Virtual On content.

Tohsaka

Is this gonna be another game Sega refuses to bring over here?

I don't want to have to add this to the list along with Shining Force Feather, PSO2, and all those Puyo games.

Well we got the (first) Dengeki Bunko fighter, hopefully that means this one has a chance.

Synth

This game is the result of someone's hopeful, but ultimately misguided monkey's paw wish isn't it? I'm probably still gonna buy though...

Sorry, that may have been me a few years ago. I was bitter at Gundam VS effectively taking Virtual On's rightful place, and reasoned that it was largerly because it had a anime license to fall back on.

I didn't think it through much at the time.

flashman92

Neo Member
Sorry, that may have been me a few years ago. I was bitter at Gundam VS effectively taking Virtual On's rightful place, and reasoned that it was largerly because it had a anime license to fall back on.

I didn't think it through much at the time.
It could be worse

It could be a crossover with Sword Art Online

So I've been reading a bit of the crossover light novel, just the first chapter. Judging from the trailer it seems they might follow the story closely-ish.

"Virtual-On" is an actual literal game in the Index series where it's super popular and everyone is playing it. The funny thing is that this isn't like SAO: Ordinal Scale where everything is AR, the Virtuaroids seems to be real and have some kind of mass to it to be able to create wind, but there are "safety measures" in place to prevent property and life threatening harm, hence why the civilians in the trailer are not concerned about them.

Haven't read enough to get to the technobabble of how it works but that's the setting.

Top Bottom