• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky mayor: 2 Confederate statues to come down after Charlottesville

LastNac

Just FYI

This is the guy that faced Rand Paul for his senate seat in November

Man, what could've been
Also, he's the first major gay politician my state has ever had.

Contrary to what some may think, Kentucky isn't so ignorant and hate filled. I love Lexington because it is a bastion of hope for a progressive future.

I read an article here on gaf once about how Kentucky had 7 or 8 times as many soldiers fight for the Union army as the confederate army and yet nearly all of the memorials in Kentucky honor the confederacy.

TalonJH

I feel he is gonna face a huge amount of resistance to this. Not just from protests, but government officials will try to block him.

I wish him luck though, hopefully he is successful.

Honestly, probably not as much as you would think. Lexington is even more liberal than Louisville(IMO) and we didn't have much trouble. I mean Jim Gray is a gay man in Kentucky who defected a republican for this job.

besada

Banned
We need a new national museum. It wouldn't be that expensive. Put it in west Texas, where land is cheap and no one goes. All it needs to be is a giant warehouse. No air conditioning, no gift shop, no educational tours.

Fill it with the statues of the confederates and hang a wooden sign outside that says "National Museum of American Losers."

We need a new national museum. It wouldn't be that expensive. Put it in west Texas, where land is cheap and no one goes. All it needs to be is a giant warehouse. No air conditioning, no gift shop, no educational tours.

Fill it with the statues of the confederates and hang a wooden sign outside that says "National Museum of American Losers."

I like "Civil War Participation Trophy Room".

I also like how spectacularly the protest of removing a Civil War statue has failed, considering the result is going to be the removal of probably dozens of other statues. Like the protesters went out and shouted, "Pay attention to us, we're Nazis!" and the general response has been, "Holy fucking shit there are still Nazis? Tear down everything these fucking animals build!"

Dead Man

This statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest is visible from the main interstate that runs through Nashville

Not only is it horrible that we have a monument to this fucker, the thing is hideous

vMpVsW4.png

That's... fucking awful lol. Maybe that one should be kept as an example of the lack of artistic merit in Confederate statues. Jesus that's ugly. And ridiculous. And just fucking ugly.

Josh7289

Frankly, any monuments built after the Civil War don't need to be in a museum. What historical value do they really have that photographs wouldn't be a sufficient alternative for? These were statues built by "lost causer" white supremacists long after the war to perpetrate false myths about why the so-called confederacy lost. Since they weren't built during the war, they're not historical artifacts of the war. They're just relatively recent symbols of racism and hate.

Monuments and statues built during the war? Well, I haven't been able to find any info on whether any such monuments even exist, but if there are any, then yeah, those have historical value, because they were built by the people who lived through the war, perpetrated it, and participated in it themselves. Of course, if there are any such monements today, they shouldn't be standing outside of a museum, but they do have enough historical value as direct artifacts of that war to be placed inside a solemn museum of reflection on a sinister time in United States history, I think.

Subxero

Also, he's the first major gay politician my state has ever had.

Contrary to what some may think, Kentucky isn't so ignorant and hate filled. I love Lexington because it is a bastion of hope for a progressive future.

I was going to say the same thing. I voted for him for the Senate, it's sad he lost, I'm glad to still have him as Mayor.

Personally, I despise the traitors flag and I hope to see all of these hateful monuments to come down. I dislike hearing people say they are patriots then defend these traitors and "the cause". It's gross.

I feel the same about Nazis in any form. It just is disgusting that so many peoples Grandparents and Great Grandparents served and gave their life to wipe that trash from the Earth. I can't even fathom how someone could associate themselves with that.

Toss it all into a landfill, maybe that one with all the E.T. cartridges, and rename the dump "The Trump Museum". People would still visit, I swear.

Dragonbinder

Neo Member
I really don't know how to feel about this. I'm so conflicted. On the one hand, they represent our disgusting past and a reminder of the way things used to be. And yet I can't help feel disappointed in this decision. Same with seeing videos of destroying statues of Lenin on YouTube. They represent our past; good or evil and at the end of the day, they are all pieces of art embodying the time and culture in which they were created.

Please feel free to discuss this with me because I'm seeing a lot of other opinions in this thread :)

I really don't know how to feel about this. I'm so conflicted. On the one hand, they represent our disgusting past and a reminder of the way things used to be. And yet I can't help feel disappointed in this decision. Same with seeing videos of destroying statues of Lenin on YouTube. They represent our past; good or evil and at the end of the day, they are all pieces of art embodying the time and culture in which they were created.

Please feel free to discuss this with me because I'm seeing a lot of other opinions in this thread :)

The people destroying those statues of Lenin were not seeing them on Youtube; they had to live in their shadow every day. Preserving statues, buildings, really any kind of object is always a balancing act between the needs and desires of the present versus the historical value of what's being preserved. For reasons already outlined, these kinds of Confederate sympathizing statues are a hilarious extreme on that balancing act, being totally hateful to the values of contemporary society and having almost zero significance as cultural artifacts.

It only takes a small bit of imagining of modern Iraqis continuing to live underneath a 40-foot Saddam Hussein, or of modern Germans living in a forest of Swastikas and Nazi eagles, to come to the obvious conclusion: tear them the fuck down.

Dragonbinder

Neo Member
The people destroying those statues of Lenin were not seeing them on Youtube; they had to live in their shadow every day. Preserving statues, buildings, really any kind of object is always a balancing act between the needs and desires of the present versus the historical value of what's being preserved. For reasons already outlined, these kinds of Confederate sympathizing statues are a hilarious extreme on that balancing act, being totally hateful to the values of contemporary society and having almost zero significance as cultural artifacts.

It only takes a small bit of imagining of modern Iraqis continuing to live underneath a 40-foot Saddam Hussein, or of modern Germans living in a forest of Swastikas and Nazi eagles, to come to the obvious conclusion: tear them the fuck down.

Thank you for the reply!

I absolutely understand what you mean. Those people are living under these physical embodiments of oppression. This is from a privileged point of view in which I do not live under such oppression in the UK as I would in the US, mixing that with how I value art and I most likely come across as ignorant in this case.

But thank you for a good explanation

I didn't expect a bump to bring good news. I'm glad to know they are being removed tonight. I wonder if there will be a protest.

Traitorous losers.

stupei

Don't read the comments.

I actually like the ones about it happening in the dark of night, suggesting it's being hidden.

Or you know, they just didn't want to do a massive project like that during peak busy hours because they're not inconsiderate assholes who never take the feelings of others into consideration, but I guess that concept might be unfamiliar to those who are objecting to the removal.

LycanXIII

I actually like the ones about it happening in the dark of night, suggesting it's being hidden.

Or you know, they just didn't want to do a massive project like that during peak busy hours because they're not inconsiderate assholes who never take the feelings of others into consideration, but I guess that concept might be unfamiliar to those who are objecting to the removal.

There actually is major construction a couple buildings down from one of the statues, on a one way, main street, so it would have been an even larger roadblock during the day.

Top Bottom