• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suggest me some horror movies to watch.

Dingens

Dead Silence

a movie I seldom see mentioned anywhere which is kinda sad, since it's quite a nice classical (but modernized) ghost story, directed by James Wan (he also did the Saw movies)
not quite as gory but with a clever twist

if you want something more "interesting" and foreign, I also recommend "One Missed Call" and "Shutter"

El_Chino

Its a short film by Zygote from Neil Blompkaff was fucking awesome.

tumblr_ot3simpqzj1ut1d6co1_500.gif
This looks amazing.

Nev

Banned
The Innkeepers for a well made indie take on the haunted house genre.

I was lured into that hot trash with a similar opinion and had the displeasure of watching one of the the few movies that have made me actually angry because of how bad, boring, cheap and incredibly stupid it is.

An absolute garbage of a movie. I doesn't even fall into the 'so bad it's good' category, it's just complete and utter trash and offends the intelligence and time of the viewer.

Worst ever 'actress' too.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Any decent found footage films?

The second VHS movie features a segment directed by Gareth Evans (The Raid, The Raid 2) about a documentary crew that goes into a cult compound and of course, shit goes wrong. Really makes me want to see him tackle a full scale horror flick.

Some suggested random title, some that I'm assuming haven't been brought-up yet.

Dawn of The Dead (original) / Day of The Dead
Return of The Living Dead
The Blob (1988)
Creepshow
Basket Case
The Legend of Hell House
Universal Monster Series
Hammer Dracula Films (I was discussing these films earlier with a random user)
The Funhouse

Etc...

cdyhybrid

The second VHS movie features a segment directed by Gareth Evans (The Raid, The Raid 2) about a documentary crew that goes into a cult compound and of course, shit goes wrong. Really makes me want to see him tackle a full scale horror flick.

Holy shit, had no idea he was the one behind that short. Would be dope to see him do a full-length one.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Deathgasm

Y8k2wTu.jpg

Really fun comedy horror. Should watch if you're a metalhead or grew up with friends who were into metal.

Stiler

Horror movies are right in my wheelhouse, grew up loving 80's horror and going from there.

First off one I'd recommend that's a fun movie that is often overlooked is a 1985 tv movie called The Midnight Hour. A great Halloween themed horror/comedy. It's pure 80's cheese but fun, even has LeVar Burton in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089593/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Another one of my personal favorites that gets overlooked is a 1991 movie called Highway to Hell, starring Chad Lowe and Kristy Swanson. It's a fun post-apoc/horror adventure movie, even has an early Ben Stiller along with his Dad/Mom in it too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zh1Lfr_Ass (Don't watch past 1:45, pretty big spoiler)

House (1986)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWcZTEo3jmw

This movie scared the hell out of me as a kid. It's a great horror movie about a guy returning from Vietnam.

Watcher in the Woods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXIqkvcaQE

This is a great overlooked horror movie from none other then Disney. It's not really a "disney" type of movie either because it is quite a creepy movie, not something you'd expect from Disney of all studios.

The Changeling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTzgXVosQOU&t=11s

A great horror movie starring the late George C. Scott. One of the better creepy horror movies that focuses less on gore and more on the tension and suspense of it all.

A Ghost Story (1981)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2UlwI-7etc

Some great actors in a memorable ghost movie centered on a group of older people and what happened in their past.

Lady in White:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfjoo151-M

A great ghost movie with some good twists and suspense.

Parents (1989).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67KhqYRUVVg

A good movie that takes a horror twist on a classic 50's era family life, starring Randy Quaid and Mary Beth Hart.

The Vagrant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tU7BxZM4Ks

Starring the late great Bill Paxton, Michael Ironside, and character actor Marshall Bell (who does a great job playing the Vagrant).

About a guy who gets obsessed about a vagrant who he thinks may or may not be a murderer and how far he'll go to prove it. A great comedy/thriller often overlooked.

Nothing but trouble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOBF6r040U&t=10s

A movie that was critically panned by a bunch of stuck up people when it came out. It's a great horror/comedy with a lot of great actors, directed and written by Dan Aykroyd starring Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, John Candy, and Dan Aykroyd in a great role as the Judge.

About this group of friends who take a shortcut and end up getting arrested by a really really backwards Judge in a strange town.

If you want some good Lovecraftian horror I recommend these movies:

Re-Animator/Bride of Re-Animator
The Resurrected (aka Shatterbrain)
Dagon (this one is my favorite)
The Call of Cthulhu
From Beyond

More general horror movies:

The Gate
Dolls
WaxWork I/II
Phantasm series
Black Sunday
Pumpkinhead
Warlock
Rawhead Rex
Critters series (I still can't understand why these are not on blu ray yet, wtf)
Killer Klowns from outer Space

Also what about series instead of movies?

A few off the top of my head,
AwMgyPC.jpg

Riget (aka The Kingdom) this is a great Danish horror series set in a hospital with some great characters and very strange things that are going on there. It's what inspired Stephen King's "Kingdom hospital" tv series.

AeLH0pG.jpg

Eerie, Indiana - I loved this show when I was a kid. It was like the X-files for horror fans before there was an X-Files.

HmyEhKy.jpg

Tales from the Crypt. You can't go wrong with this show, lots of good episodes, lots of great actors throughout the series.

Maddrical

Watched quite a few horror/thriller films in the last few months. A lot of them are newer, some old. These are some EXTREMELY hasty ratings, if I thought about them all a bit more I'd probably change them up a bit.

Raw - 7/10
Split - 6/10
Alien: Covenant - 4/10
Bone Tomahawk - 8/10
Inside - 8/10
Event Horizon - 5/10
Get Out - 9/10
Pontypool - 5/10
The Void - 4/10
Hellraiser - 7/10
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 - 6/10
A Cure for Wellness - 5/10
It Follows - 8/10
Blue Ruin - 7/10
Don't Breathe - 7/10
The Conjuring 2 - 7/10
The Autopsy of Jane Doe - 6/10
The Witch - 9/10
Green Room - 9/10
10 Cloverfield Lane - 8/10
Antichrist - 7/10

Get Out, The Witch & Green Room are probably my favourite horror/thriller films in a long time. Shoutout to Raw for being one of the strangest movies I've seen in a while. Bone Tomahawk was also a brilliant slow burner.

EDIT: I have Starry Eyes & Deathgasm lined up to be watched next. Both look great.

Jombie

Any decent found footage films?

V/H/S 1 and 2 are fun.

Texas Chainsaw '74
Don't Look Now
Dawn of the Dead '78
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (underrated zombie gem)
The Town that Dreaded Sundown '14
Prince of Darkness / The Fog
Suspiria

The new Amityville is surprisingly decent. It's available for free on Google play.

It Follows
The Witch
The Guest (action/thriller/comedy/horror hybrid set during Halloween)
Raw
The Neon Demon (Grade-A atmosphere and aesthetic)
Green Room (more thriller but somewhat horrifying/scary in parts)
The Babadook
Kill List
Triangle
Antichrist
The House of the Devil
Drag Me to Hell
Eden Lake
Grindhouse
[Rec]

I was lured into that hot trash with a similar opinion and had the displeasure of watching one of the the few movies that have made me actually angry because of how bad, boring, cheap and incredibly stupid it is.

An absolute garbage of a movie. I doesn't even fall into the 'so bad it's good' category, it's just complete and utter trash and offends the intelligence and time of the viewer.

Worst ever 'actress' too.
I don't know, it's been a while and a rewatch of the trailer made it seem like the most cliche film but I remember the tension and the focus on the character expressions rather than the "boo" really stood out to me as refreshing and made the film. Maybe you wanted more "boo"?

I need a rewatch.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Descent
Eden Lake
You're Next
Session 9
The Pact
The House of the Devil
Dog Soldiers
Noroi: The Curse
Pontypool
Ils (Them)
The Witch
Kill List
[REC] 1 and 2
The Conjuring 1
Sinister 1
I Saw the Devil
Hush
The Battery
Housebound
28 Days Later
The Canal
The Innkeepers
Would You Rather
Wolf Creek
The Loved Ones
Creep
The Strangers
As Above, So Below
I Am A Ghost (very weird, but very good)
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (not that scary, but a beautiful film)
The Wailing
Under the Skin

cromofo

The Descent
Eden Lake
You're Next
Session 9
The Pact
The House of the Devil
Dog Soldiers
Pontypool
Ils (Them)
The Witch
Kill List
[REC] 1 and 2
The Conjuring 1
Sinister 1
I Saw the Devil
Hush
The Battery
Housebound
28 Days Later
The Canal
The Innkeepers
Would You Rather
Wolf Creek
The Loved Ones
Creep
The Strangers
As Above, So Below
The Wailing
Under the Skin

Great list

I'm in the Halloween mood and want to watch some horror movies.

I'm not one for gore in horror movies as it doesn't add any suspense/thrill for me.

I haven't watched many horror films in the last few years so I'm sure I've missed a few good ones.

51QUejxfV8L.jpg

tumblr_n1ilwtsBSR1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Great movie. Perfect for Halloween.

Stiler

Also another movie I want to recommend that a lot of people didn't give love to when it came out, Halloween III.

It's a great Halloween themed thriller and no, there's no Michael Myers, as they wanted to make the Halloween movie series into more of an "anthology series" focused on the holiday and not just about Michael Myers, of course fans of him got super upset about this and it got creamed when it came out.

Over the years though Halloween III has became a cult hit and rightfully so, you should definitely give it a try if you haven't seen it before.

hgkQmf2.gif

Recent ones worth a good watch:
The Witch
Get Out
Raw

Older ones I'd recommend:
Let the Right One In
Cabin Fever
The Cabin in the Woods
The Crazies
The Descent
Drag Me to Hell

A few classics:
The Shining
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Evil Dead 2

El_Chino

The Descent
Eden Lake
You're Next
Session 9
The Pact
The House of the Devil
Dog Soldiers
Pontypool
Ils (Them)
The Witch
Kill List
[REC] 1 and 2
The Conjuring 1
Sinister 1
I Saw the Devil
Hush
The Battery
Housebound
28 Days Later
The Canal
The Innkeepers
Would You Rather
Wolf Creek
The Loved Ones
Creep
The Strangers
As Above, So Below
The Wailing
Under the Skin
Awesome list! Just saw As Above, So Below. That ending was trippy!
51QUejxfV8L.jpg

tumblr_n1ilwtsBSR1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Great movie. Perfect for Halloween.
That looks awesome.

kurahador

iVOCLLQ.jpg

Then youtube the UK ending and consider that one canon. Its american ending is garbage and pave way to an even more insulting sequel.

One of the few found-footage movie I have liked is Europa Report (2013).

It creates a great sense of claustrophobia.

This too.

If you don't mind found footage kinda thing:
Grave Encounters 1&2 --- it's basically Silent Hill.
Lake Mungo --- the story isn't anything special, but the music is goddamn unnerving.

I recommend checking out the 31 days of horror thread, this is the seventh year now and there are tons of great recommendations to seek out.

I almost never like proper "horror" films. I try to avoid anything involving demons or ghosts, because they're just silly concepts.

I have a friend who said the same thing to me once when I recommended Poltergeist to him (couldn't watch a movie with ghost in it because it's unrealistic). Just as a curiosity I want to ask you the same question I asked him. Do you like Star Wars movies? Lord of the Rings? Game of Thrones?

I can see why someone wouldn't be into horror, but I can't make sense out of not watching something because it's not realistic.

I_D

I recommend checking out the 31 days of horror thread, this is the seventh year now and there are tons of great recommendations to seek out.

I have a friend who said the same thing to me once when I recommended Poltergeist to him (couldn't watch a movie with ghost in it because it's unrealistic). Just as a curiosity I want to ask you the same question I asked him. Do you like Star Wars movies? Lord of the Rings? Game of Thrones?

I can see why someone wouldn't be into horror, but I can't make sense out of not watching something because it's not realistic.

Star Wars is pretty lame, but not because of its universe. LotR and GoT are fantastic. These franchises are realistic though, because they've set up their worlds properly.

Horror movies which take place in our world, though, typically do the absolute bare-minimum of suspending disbelief. They're usually some trope like "A lady was murdered in this house" which is supposed to explain every other supernatural occurrence.

There are always exceptions, of course. Poltergeist is actually one of the better ghost-movies, I think. The Exorcist is another good one. 28 Days Later handles Zombies well, etc.

A big part of the "unrealistic-ness" of horror movies comes from horrible acting, poor scripts, laughable tropes, etc. The whole package just doesn't flow properly, so it feels unrealistic and goofy instead of scary.

Top Bottom