• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Wray

I wish I had contributed to this thread earlier, but its never too late.

My dog's name is Louis Tyler McDuff, but we just call him Louie. He's a Scottish Terrier and was born July 15th, 1998.

LouieMarch6.jpg

LouieAugust11b.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have 3 dogs. No pics right now because I'm at work, but I'll try to update later with some.

First is Fabian. He's half Pekingese/half Pomeranian. He was a rescue. There was a crazy lady with a crazy lady puppy mill going on at her house. When she was busted I took the little guy in as a pup. That was 7 years ago.

Second is Scooter. He's obviously a hound mix, but classified as mutt. I got him as a pup from the SPCA. He was very sick with worms when I got him and he spent the first 4 weeks of his life in and out of the hospital. He almost didn't make it. He's nearly 6 years old.

Last is Wylie. He's a Puggle. His beagle characteristics are more pronounced than his pug characteristics, and beagle dominates his personality. I got him from someone who had their hunting dog get out and make good friends with the family pug. He's right at 4 years old now.

ZZMitch

Here is my families fog, her name is Gracie and she is a Labradoodle!

Some of the these pictures are a few years old (she is 8) but her looks haven't changed much over the years except in the summer when she gets her hair cut short.

163181_1750114433578_1260361257_31976873_7430438_n.jpg

182999_1856160444662_1260361257_32191669_597864_n.jpg

Gracie.jpg

WinterDog.jpg

taoofjord

Meet Wills. He's a 2.5 year old, 13 lb King Charles Spaniel. I rescued him two months ago.

He's extremely affectionate and very friendly with strangers. I've taught him how to sit, stay, come, and kiss. The only one of those he does immediately and without fail is kiss. He will either give you a lick on the face, or what I believe, is his version of a human kiss, where he open his mouth and presses his "lips" against your face. He also loves to lay his head on things, like you. :)

2hnmjpt.jpg

21lmk3d.jpg

153v50i.jpg

elwes

taoofjord said:

daawwwwwwww ;'x

My g/f's friend's mom has one of these dogs. She house sits for her when she goes out of town. It was born with a hip deformity, so it walks strangely. I dubbed it power sliding dog because whenever it moves, its butt is always leading its body. It's one of the nicest, sweetest dogs, though. Snores worse than my dad, and somehow manages to take up all available free space in a king size bed.

taoofjord

Whenever Wills walks his backside is "power-sliding" too. But he's got luxating patellas which are very common in small dogs. Both his back legs have them, poor guy.

And, yes, Wills snores like a champ!

Here's some pictures of our Boomer, a Dachshund mix that we picked up a couple years ago at a rescue:

Here's some of her as a puppy, maybe a few months old
30126_957975232803_1222839_51825843_1389126_n.jpg

30126_957975217833_1222839_51825841_1329235_n.jpg

30126_957975043183_1222839_51825837_5845223_n.jpg

This is what she looks like now, still looking like a puppy (never got that much bigger)
259771_10100568616459863_1227585_59275829_3238139_o.jpg

Here's one of her getting ready for a local Dog Derby race at the fair, 5th place, not bad out of 12.
DSC_0922.jpg

I disagree with the Cesar hate above. Firstly, a lot of what you see on the TV show IS rehab. But he also has a book, and DVDs on raising puppies.

http://www.cesarsway.com/shop/How-to-Raise-the-Perfect-Dog-Paperback
http://www.cesarsway.com/shop/mastering-leadership-series-vol6-raising-the-perfect-puppy-ntsc

I had a weimaraner puppy since 8 weeks (now almost 2 years old) and we've trained him using the methods in the book which we bought before buying the dog. He's come out really well, is a very social dog and enjoys life very much. I'd highly recommend buying and reading the book, and using the methods in there for training your dog.

As mentioned above, he does also mention that positive reinforcement does also work, and that some dogs take to the different styles better one than the other - each dog has it's own personality and history/upbringing, right from the minute it is born.

Eyeh4wk

voodoojohn said:
Here's some pictures of our Boomer, a Dachshund mix that we picked up a couple years ago at a rescue:
This is what she looks like now, still looking like a puppy (never got that much bigger)
259771_10100568616459863_1227585_59275829_3238139_o.jpg
She looks like my dog:
EaEppl.jpg

Wray said:
I wish I had contributed to this thread earlier, but its never too late.

My dog's name is Louis Tyler McDuff, but we just call him Louie. He's a Scottish Terrier and was born July 15th, 1998.

http://guildofnex.com/images/LouieMarch6.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://guildofnex.com/images/LouieAugust11b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
So cute.

Tenck

Musiol said:
Came here by the accident, but here's photo of my/my father Labrador Retriever. He's around 4 year old and he is such a baby ;) To be honest, I don't want dog after all, but when he came to my house I was happiest person ever.

100600957.jpg

I know, he may seems sad, but he isn't. It's more "nah, what do you want from me?" than sadness ;)

Doesn't look sad to me. Looks pretty damn cute.

Zyzyxxz

More pics of my dog because I love her so much (despite being a pain alot too)

6039403591_a194f64635_z.jpg

6039952952_c3263bf34c_z.jpg

she likes to hang in the window sill in the morning since its warm
6039953222_7326b0c851_z.jpg

6039403731_491ca8b7ec_z.jpg

6000517858_33844ff4f9_z.jpg

5999970599_825afc8042_z.jpg

Tendo

Brian Fellows said:
My brother had an Akita. Tough bastard he was. Took on two pittbulls at the same time and lived to tell the tale.
That dog was not my dog....He gets bossed around by my moms 9 lb cockapoo haha. Then again there was the night someone was snooping in my back yard. I have never heard a dog bark like he did that night. Ever. Whoever it was took off running. In a pinch he might be able to throw down haha.

Zyzyxxz

ollin said:
You really need to try to get rid of his behavioral issues. I could barely watch it with the dog growling and snapping at the end.

yeah it's been happening because my mother always gives her chicken. It annoys me since it has bones and she will eat the bones too.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey guys I have a vizsla pup and I'm teaching him how to walk, but he gets really excited and it's really hard to control him when he gets near other dogs. I'm not really sure what to do when that happens :(

ollin

Zyzyxxz said:
yeah it's been happening because my mother always gives her chicken. It annoys me since it has bones and she will eat the bones too.
Your mom not giving her bones won't resolve the food aggression. She'll just move on to other foods or toys.

ciD_Vain said:
My Siberian Huskies- Kiba and Phantom :D

3reyo.jpg
Great looking huskies. From the pictures posted it looks like Huskies are one of the top dogs owned on Gaf.

We (my wife and I) just got picked up a Golden Retriever puppy a couple of weeks ago. Wanted a dog for a long time - our families have always had a dog.

He's 9 weeks old. He is awesome.

Meet Hamish :)

284059_10150746434420157_644600156_20095353_1543204_n.jpg

281282_10150746436790157_644600156_20095388_3095310_n.jpg

198706_10150746437270157_644600156_20095398_5144969_n.jpg

joelseph

lochnesssnowman said:
We (my wife and I) just got picked up a Golden Retriever puppy a couple of weeks ago. Wanted a dog for a long time - our families have always had a dog.

He's 9 weeks old. He is awesome.

Meet Hamish :)

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k602/lochnesssnowman/284059_10150746434420157_644600156_20095353_1543204_n.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k602/lochnesssnowman/281282_10150746436790157_644600156_20095388_3095310_n.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k602/lochnesssnowman/198706_10150746437270157_644600156_20095398_5144969_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

This pic is awesome, love his eyelashes!

Heres my Akita at 3 months old, he is a bit grubby because he was rolling in the mud that day. He weighed 16kg at his last visit to the vet a few weeks ago. He is a very playful Akita, but he's slowly starting to get his wary, not liking strangers kind of behaviour.

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

Daft_Cat

SchnauzerGAF anyone?

My family's always had cats (even though I'm allergic), but I personally prefer the personality of dogs. My girlfriend's dog is a schnauzer and he's by far the best animal I've ever met. He's very friendly, not yappy, and also a bit reserved and slightly..princely. He kind of reminds me of a political leader..we think he may be planning some kind of revolution.

His name is Sam.

IMG_0566-2.jpg

schnauzer_poster.jpg

Pics related. First one is him and the second one is a poster we found underneath a pile of his toys.

ollin

pseudocaesar said:
Heres my Akita at 3 months old, he is a bit grubby because he was rolling in the mud that day. He weighed 16kg at his last visit to the vet a few weeks ago. He is a very playful Akita, but he's slowly starting to get his wary, not liking strangers kind of behaviour.
Is it difficult training your Akita? I've heard training an Akita is difficult and are not recommended for a beginner owner.

slider

ollin said:
Is it difficult training your Akita? I've heard training an Akita is difficult and are not recommended for a beginner owner.

I've always wanted an Akita; see pic below... would've taken the lot of them if it was up to me!

1zx7i48.jpg

A friend of mine back home has one. I wouldn't recommend one if it's your first dog or if you don't have a huge amount of experience with dogs. They are well known for being head strong but, like any dog, can be trained if the methods you use are the right ones.

EDIT: God knows why I've still got that picture... :|

Oscar is my first dog, I dont think its too hard, You just have to be consistent with your training. Akitas are very, very intelligent dogs. So if you dont give it the same rules every time, it wont want to do what you tell it. If you tell it to stay off the couch but then let it jump up there for a cuddle just once, well look then it thinks its allowed up there all the time. They are stubborn and get bored easily, and get sick of doing the same trick over and over again. It took me about 1 week to fully toilet train him, and about 3 or 4 days to get him to sit. The key with discipline is establishing yourself as the boss from a young age. As Akitas are very social dogs, they hate being ignored and not part of the family. If he ever does something he is not supposed too, I grab hold of his cheek and pull and say no very firmly, and then ignore him for 30 minutes or take him outside. Also a good way to establish yourself as the boss is with his food. Always feed yourself first, and always be prepared to take his food away from him. After I tought him to sit, the next step was making him wait to eat his food, instil this when he is a small puppy, and even when hes a 50kg adult he will still do the same as an adult. Always play with your Akita as a puppy when hes eating, and put your hands in and around his mouth as often as possible. Every time I feed Oscar I dont even need to tell him to sit and wait anymore, if I get him his food, he just sits there and waits until I say eat your dinner (even if its breakfast, thats just the command I used when training him that its ok for him to eat now).
Also Akitas are verrrrry social, and hate being excluded from the family. So if your not prepared to have it inside with you for a majority of time, then maybe think of another breed. When we revarnished the floors and Oscar had to stay outside for a few days, when he came back in he went bananas and wouldnt let me go, it was really cute.

Egnirys

This is Lakota my Siberian Husky / Malamute mix. She's 6 years old approximately. Lakota was adopted when she was a puppy at a rescue shelter, apparently someone abandoned her on the side of the highway in Arizona when she was a puppy. I don't know how someone can do that, especially when she was a little ball of fluff.

13z75s4.jpg

So a while back I said that my girlfriend and I were looking to get a dog, having signed onto the waitlist for an Icelandic Sheepdog (mostly because of Metroid Killer and Shikko, absolutely adorable). In the interim we found out about a six month old shiba that was trapped in a bad family and needed to be rescued. Well, two weeks ago we decided cancel our Sheepdog plans and grab the poor little thing. It was horribly sad to see her extremely underweight and covered in fleas/ticks, which is odd because the family went through the trouble of paying full price from a very reputable breeder only to keep her in that condition. We've gotten her fleas and such taken care of, updated her shots, switched her onto better dog food (she was on Puppy Chow -_- and we've weaned her over to Orijen), and are making plans to get her spayed (all things they neglected to do). She has really, really opened up to us and some of our friends but is still skittish around other people and some dogs, particularly large ones. We're hoping that keeping her out on daily walks and trips to the dog park will help her out, and we're also slowly trying to get her comfortable in public spaces. It's hard, but we're patient and she's already doing a bit better. Anyway, here's Shepard, the best femme-Shep ever:

6055061346_fd326a99a7_z.jpg

6055062330_8fe926d005_z.jpg

6058253624_bd4a8cf69d_z.jpg

There will be better pictures soon, but we just moved and I have no idea where the camera equipment is so everything is iPhone'd.

njean777

IMG_0159.jpg

My Dog Zima, had her since a puppy. She is a German Shepherd/Collie mix I believe. She is a big oaf.

IMG_0164.jpg

My moms dog Ziggy, he is a Yorkshire Terrier. Stupid little dog, but we still love him.

equap

Banned
Pickles the Firecat said:
HEY!! your shiba looks a lot like my shiba and has the same thing with warming up to new people.

she would sniff and lick them but when they try to pet her she'd back away really fast. And a lot of time would get down on her front paws in that submissive position ready to play.

I've seen other shibas that would love to get petted by strangers but not my shiba. Any tips on how to fix this? one way i figured out is by giving the new person a treat so they can feed her and she'll let them pet her...what a bitch! lol

another thing about my shiba, she doesn't like playing with other shibas. she'll play with other dogs but never with her kind.

5559246321_2166d81427_z.jpg

here's an older pic of her, she's around 3-4 months here. but she turned 9 months today!

equap said:
HEY!! your shiba looks a lot like my shiba and has the same thing with warming up to new people.

she would sniff and lick them but when they try to pet her she'd back away really fast. And a lot of time would get down on her front paws in that submissive position ready to play.

I've seen other shibas that would love to get petted by strangers but not my shiba. Any tips on how to fix this? one way i figured out is by giving the new person a treat so they can feed her and she'll let them pet her...what a bitch! lol

another thing about my shiba, she doesn't like playing with other shibas. she'll play with other dogs but never with her kind.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5174/5559246321_2166d81427_z.jpg[/IG]
here's an older pic of her, she's around 3-4 months here. but she turned 9 months today![/QUOTE]

You dont want to give other people treats to allow them to pet her, as she will only ever let someone pet her after they give her a treat/food. It will lead to her being more antisocial. I suggest patting her while someone else is there and letting them start patting her while you are patting/holding her, eventually she will warm up to strangers.

Top Bottom