• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT2| Fractured but Ox

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
True, but he also had no desire to go anywhere else and push himself. Did he not move to a club with a better chance of doing something because he liked being the big fish, or because nobody wanted him because many felt that he was a lazy genius?

I think he genuinely just loved his club and it's fans and was happy there, I think it's a little unfair to jump to the conclusion that he was lazy or had no desire.

TimmmV

Hope it works out for your lot. I've always liked Newcastle.

Newcastle could be pretty scary if they got in even remotely competent owners

Rafa with a budget at a big club should be pushing for a CL space

On the one hand I'd be happy for them if a takeover happened, but also really don't want another team to compete with lol, its hard enough as it is

I think he genuinely just loved his club and it's fans and was happy there, I think it's a little unfair to jump to the conclusion that he was lazy or had no desire.

Yeah, there's some story about him having 99% agreed to going to Spurs, but couldn't bring himself to sign the contract at the end.

I don't think Le Tisser could be accused of being lazy either - he was basically keeping Southampton up single handedly at a few points (from what I've read at least), that's hardly something a lazy player would be willing to put up with

DBT85

Forgive me, the lazy comment wasn't about not going anywhere, it's just a remark that's been leveled at him since time immemorial. I don't remember enough of him playing to know whether it was a lackadaisical style a la Berbatov or not. Everyone knew what he could do though, so you do have to wonder why he only got 6 caps.

Some players just love their clubs and don'e want to leave, there aren't many. I can't honestly say that I think Giggs or Scholes would have stayed had we not been winning so regularly. Neville might.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Forgive me, the lazy comment wasn't about not going anywhere, it's just a remark that's been leveled at him since time immemorial. I don't remember enough of him playing to know whether it was a lackadaisical style a la Berbatov or not.

I see where you are coming from, the lazy comment isn't without merit tbh. He would be the first to admit that he wasn't the most athletic player, so he wasn't capable of running up and down the pitch for 90 mins. He used to say that standing still created plenty of space for him, more so than actively looking for it. Considering his standing in the game, would be hard to argue with him.

Everyone knew what he could do though, so you do have to wonder why he only got 6 caps.

Yea, the English team was weird in the 90's, Fowler was scoring goals for fun at Liverpool and hardly got a kick for England IIRC. Andy Cole barely featured either, I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Kyoufu

Yea, the English team was weird in the 90's, Fowler was scoring goals for fun at Liverpool and hardly got a kick for England IIRC. Andy Cole barely featured either, I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

So many great English players back then, but Shearer cemented his place in the side during Euro 96 so Fowler and others couldn't get into the team ahead of him and Sheringham.

Compared to England today, I think Harry Kane is the only striker I'd play 100% of the time.

Markitron

But rooney?

lol

As an Irish person, I don't watch much of the English team, so honest question: Did he ever play particularly well for England aside from Euro 2004?

Any time I watched them he was immobile and shite, even when he was in great form for United. I know he has the goal record, but that seems really padded against sub-par opposition.

TimmmV

Forgive me, the lazy comment wasn't about not going anywhere, it's just a remark that's been leveled at him since time immemorial. I don't remember enough of him playing to know whether it was a lackadaisical style a la Berbatov or not. Everyone knew what he could do though, so you do have to wonder why he only got 6 caps.

Some players just love their clubs and don'e want to leave, there aren't many. I can't honestly say that I think Giggs or Scholes would have stayed had we not been winning so regularly. Neville might.

He'd have been at Oldham if they were any good at the time!

DBT85

£400m question. will Staveley get a free SportsDirect mug with her purchase?

As an Irish person, I don't watch much of the English team, so honest question: Did he ever play particularly well for England aside from Euro 2004?

Any time I watched them he was immobile and shite, even when he was in great form for United. I know he has the goal record, but that seems really padded against sub-par opposition.

Rooney rarely hit the heights he should have at international level. He would bang in the goals in Quali against all the "ia" teams though.

He was under hilariously stupid pressure though. Treated by many in the press as the messiah who would bring England a trophy. Him for England is not too dissimilar to him against Everton and Liverpool tbh. He seemed to try too hard at times.

Record goalscorer for the club he may be, but had he shown half the dedication to his body that CR7 has, Rooney could have done so much more. Crazy as that sounds. To decline in ability and influence on the pitch as early as he did is still crazy to me.

Gambit

Stahp...he is only 18 and already scary as fuck.
Probably will have to be nerfed in future Fifa editions.

I find it amusing to think that at least part of Neymar's reasoning for leaving Barca must have been to no longer be second fiddle to Messi and instead be the lone star.

Now here's Mbappe and he is on his way to outshining Neymar at his new club.

Markitron

Stahp...he is only 18 and already scary as fuck.
Probably will have to be nerfed in future Fifa editions.

Highest scoring teenager in the Champions League and he isn't 19 until December. Frightening potential.

Markitron

Arsenal have conceded 26 goals away from home in 2017, Palace are the only team worse.

#Softlads

That is genuinely surprising. Mental to think they were still in with a shout of the CL on the last day of the season.

Markitron

Doing what he does best, makes the press about him and not his team. Master at it.

It's also why he will never stay at a club long-term, and he has burned his bridges at most of the big clubs now. I'd love to see Duncan Castles turn that video into an attack on Guardiola.

Markitron

Where do we define long term in this day and age? 5 years? 10?

If you're a PL winner its about 18 months lol.

Anything longer than 3 years IMO. It's why both Pep and Mourinho are not long term solutions, not that there are many of those mind.

DBT85

Lads, has fooball changed so much since I stopped playing?

In soccer you need cleats, shinguards, padded jersey, padded shorts (goalie), gloves (goalie), ball.

Anything longer than 3 years IMO. It's why both Mou and Mourinho are not long term solutions, not that there are many of those mind.

Mou is better than Mourinho tho. Everyone knows.

Syder

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No but it wasn't entirely his fault (injuries, shit managers, shit teammates).

DBT85

What on earth is that from?

lol, the thread about handegg teams getting closed at schools in the US because of CTE and parents not letting their kids take part. That particular section was in a post comparing the cost of playing different sports. I was like, padded shirts and shorts? what?

I did point out that all you need is a ball and some jumpers/schoolbags/cones and you're done. The joy of football.

The thread btw
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450200

lol, the thread about handegg teams getting closed at schools in the US because of CTE and parents not letting their kits take part. That particualr section was in a post comparing the cost of palying different sports.

I did point out that all you need is a ball and some jumpers/schoolbags/cones and you're done. The joy of football.

I mean in poor countries they roll a bunch of socks together to create a ball. Like you can play it almost everywhere.

DBT85

I mean in poor countries they roll a bunch of socks together to create a ball. Like you can play it almost everywhere.

for the last time, Liverpool is not a country

I kid i kid

The joy of football is that anything you can kick means you can play. A can, a severed head, a pigs bladder, etc etc. So accessible by the very poorest in all countries, and even just regular kids in the street in not so poor countries.

Markitron

lol, the thread about handegg teams getting closed at schools in the US because of CTE and parents not letting their kids take part. That particular section was in a post comparing the cost of playing different sports. I was like, padded shirts and shorts? what?

The thread btw
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450200

You should have seen the thread about the US not qualifying for the World Cup, the ignorance on display there was unreal.

RocknRola

Wow, we're winning away against Marseille! :O Feeling like it's gonna end up being a repeat of Sporting's game yestarday, but hopefully not!

I think it's safe to say that Bundesliga teams have a monumental mental problem. The players on the pitch give off the impression that they don't like football.

Top Bottom