• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Edit - out of interest, what level are you, and what platform are you playing on? I'm on PS3 and around level 90, I think. Just got Nito and the final boss to go now. Honestly not sure I can be arsed trying the DLC, even though I already own it.

The DLC is pretty short and straightforward once you get out of the first forest - just go down.

Go for it. It features (according to the vast majority) 3 out of the 5 best boss battles in the entire game.

Boney

Banned
I actually ended up going to the duke's archives. Wasn't too bad but for some reason couldn't find the way to the crystal caves even though I did the turn stairs jump off thingy, but must've missed the exit for the stairs.

I'm pissed because just now I fell off from the invisible floor. Anything I can do to actually see? Went straight and ended up falling. Also those butterflies are better to just not disturb I guess.

I'm level 60 and on ps3 as well actually

Ugh freaking clams

I actually ended up going to the duke's archives. Wasn't too bad but for some reason couldn't find the way to the crystal caves even though I did the turn stairs jump off thingy, but must've missed the exit for the stairs.

I'm pissed because just now I fell off from the invisible floor. Anything I can do to actually see? Went straight and ended up falling. Also those butterflies are better to just not disturb I guess.

I'm level 60 and on ps3 as well actually

Ugh freaking clams

If you made it to the clams then you made it pass the invisible floor :) You should have the path memorized now! BTW try going for the Blue Titanite Slab ahahah.

Boney

Banned
If you made it to the clams then you made it pass the invisible floor :) You should have the path memorized now! BTW try going for the Blue Titanite Slab ahahah.
Hmm any clues as to where it might be?

Yeah, just adjusted my direction a little but more to the right and made it past the 3rd time. At first I followed the angle of the soapstone message, but then realized the snow kinda actually helps mark the path.

Damn clams are through my shield and locked me in a corner though sigh

Edit: Defeated Seath, he was one of the easiest bosses in the game, but trying to get his tail was impossible for me as he kept wailing with it so I gave up and just killed him instead. Didn't find the slab either, oh well. 2 down 2 to go.
And beat Sif as well

After getting the sunlight maggot, it's ok to go through the fog door correct?

Uhm, fuck bed of chaos

Boney

Banned
And beat the game. Loved it despite it's second half being relatively weak.

Each area individually was fantastically designed and had great sense of aesthetics, while at the same time made a fantastic job at making all areas connect well with tons of shortcuts throughout.

Combat system was good, enemies are super punishing so that always keeps you in your toes and the parry riposte mechanic is great. The problem is how easy it is to just spin in circles with your shield up while avoiding hits and going for backstabs. It's too easy to exploit on pretty much every fight and even bosses. I love the variety of weapon moves though so that's great.

Bosses were mostly great with a few stinkers here and there. My favourite is still the gargoyles probably, they're relentless and thought it was a much better fight than Ornstein and Smough.

It was a lot more streamlined and accessible than Demon's Souls. It's a mix of more experience and perhaps a stronger publisher that made it an easier experience to get into while still maintaining the Souls feel. I loved it but I'm still puzzled as to why it's considered the greatest game ever by some, I don't really do AAA so it wasn't the breath of fresh air that it was to some and well, I suppose missing out on the online elements also hurt it.

Still, not a fan of the unhollowing to fight phantoms and trigger certain events. And my god the npc stuff is so cryptic. Forgot to save the maiden and didn't find Logan's Key for the duke's archives either >.>, missed a ton of others as well I bet.

It's good, it's not that hard but it's rewarding. I hope they can make enemies not stupid in DS3 though

Good for you dude - seem to have really powered through that final portion of the game. I'm currently battling Manus in the DLC; he's a bastard and I'm of half a mind to retreat and leave him to rule his Abyss. Also don't think I'll bother with Kalameet, as apparently it's the hardest boss in the game. Haven't even been back to the Tomb of the Giants yet. I'll play some more tonight after my family are all in bed. Really ready to wrap the game up now.

Boney

Banned
Good for you dude - seem to have really powered through that final portion of the game. I'm currently battling Manus in the DLC; he's a bastard and I'm of half a mind to retreat and leave him to rule his Abyss. Also don't think I'll bother with Kalameet, as apparently it's the hardest boss in the game. Haven't even been back to the Tomb of the Giants yet. I'll play some more tonight after my family are all in bed. Really ready to wrap the game up now.
Yeah, had a day off and powered through haha. I didn't snag the dlc, should be great but not a fan of dlc myself.

Good luck with the rest of the game! What else are you missing with the game? Good luck!

Fuck the Tomb of the Giants. This is my new least favourite area of the game. Those crouching skeleton giants are fast and hit like goddamn fucking freight trains. I'm just trying to rush through to the end now; didn't beat Manus and when I found Kalameet again it fried the whole area and I perished immediately. I'm not enjoying this at all so I just wanna get it finished and move on.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fuck the Tomb of the Giants. This is my new least favourite area of the game. Those crouching skeleton giants are fast and hit like goddamn fucking freight trains. I'm just trying to rush through to the end now; didn't beat Manus and when I found Kalameet again it fried the whole area and I perished immediately. I'm not enjoying this at all so I just wanna get it finished and move on.

Are you talking about the skeleton dogs when you say the crouching skeleton giants? Those dudes are notorious bastards. They hit REAL HARD.

Yeah, the skeleton beasts are pains, and they can tear through shields. Try to stay on their sides if you can.

Kalameet is really easy as long as you don't rush him, and even more so if you're not going for the tail cut. Basically, all you need to do (well all I did at least) is
just back away from him constantly without lock-on, dodge the straight line fire by dodging to the sides, avoid the 180º fire breath sweep by rolling or running away from it, dodging his jumping tail swipe by rolling at the last second, and wait until he starts flying. When he swoops, roll to the side, and when he lands, if he stays facing away from you he's going to tail slam so dodge that and attack the tail, and if he turns around just stay to his side/behind him and hit him a few times, then start backing off again.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, the skeleton beasts are pains, and they can tear through shields. Try to stay on their sides if you can.

Kalameet is really easy as long as you don't rush him, and even more so if you're not going for the tail cut. Basically, all you need to do (well all I did at least) is
just back away from him constantly without lock-on, dodge the straight line fire by dodging to the sides, avoid the 180º fire breath sweep by rolling or running away from it, dodging his jumping tail swipe by rolling at the last second, and wait until he starts flying. When he swoops, roll to the side, and when he lands, if he stays facing away from you he's going to tail slam so dodge that and attack the tail, and if he turns around just stay to his side/behind him and hit him a few times, then start backing off again.

Based on your strategy, I don't think its fair to call Kalameet really easy haha. It's basically "have a reaction ready for every one of his many varied attacks." Memorization, reaction, and execution are basically what make the fight difficult and where the skill comes in.

Got to Nito in the end up, and considering how much I struggled with the Tomb of the Giants, he was an utter cinch. He couldn't even hit me when I was close by, and I just backed away when he did the AoE attack. Now it's on to the final boss and then I'm done here. Need closure, as this has taken me nearly 4 years to finish.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Got to Nito in the end up, and considering how much I struggled with the Tomb of the Giants, he was an utter cinch. He couldn't even hit me when I was close by, and I just backed away when he did the AoE attack. Now it's on to the final boss and then I'm done here. Need closure, as this has taken me nearly 4 years to finish.

Before you finish, you should know that if you're at all interested in coming back to beat those bosses you skipped, the game resets into NG+ after beating the final boss.

So either beat them now, or be comfortable knowing you never will.

Boney

Banned
I thought Tomb of Giants was by far the strongest area of the second half. The complete darkness was very cool gimmick and god those skeleton dogs were insanely tough, and while I died a bunch against them due to the asshole rush attacks that will go through your shield. Still they're practically blind so you can slip past by them.

Was super disappointed at how bland the second half was.

Also, read that Kalameet 1hko's you the first time you see him, kinda like Seath.

Good luck with Gwyn, I made the mistake of summoning Solaire (I only summoned against Quelaag and this) and it was over in 30 seconds, messed up and the game ended *sigh*

Well, got to Gwyn and he's destroyed me so far about 8 times over. I do like how Miyazaki always wants a more intimate 1v1 battle at the end (although I have not completed Bloodborne), and although he's been hammering me I think I just need to time my rolls better. My shield did fuck all against him so I thought better to two-hand my sword and evade. Knocked about 1/3 of his health off in my best performance so far, but it's half three in the morning so I'll try again tomorrow. I don't know how to summon NPC characters and frankly dislike the Covenant stuff, so I've played practically the whole thing solo.

Before you finish, you should know that if you're at all interested in coming back to beat those bosses you skipped, the game resets into NG+ after beating the final boss.

So either beat them now, or be comfortable knowing you never will.

Yeah, I realise that. No interest in defeating the other DLC bosses, so I'm just looking to wrap up as quickly as possible. I've been playing for more than 60 hours in total, and I really want to move on to something else.

I don't know if I can beat Gwyn. Really don't know if I have the patience for this. He's so fucking fast, I'm awful at parrying and two or three attacks hit me and I'm dead. I'm going to give it another four or five goes and see how I get on.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I don't know if I can beat Gwyn. Really don't know if I have the patience for this. He's so fucking fast, I'm awful at parrying and two or three attacks hit me and I'm dead. I'm going to give it another four or five goes and see how I get on.

Yeah apparently the strategy for Gwyn is to parry but I wasn't very good at it either so it took me a while to beat him. I did it though, so keep at it. The real pain is having to run all the way down there every time (although you do get titanite from the Knights on the way right?)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I've never beaten Gwyn without parrying, because parrying is so effective against him. He's dead after like 4 ripostes. The black knights before him are basically just parry training and its worth practicing on. Its absolutely the most effective way of dealing with Gwyn.

Well, I'm finished. Took him down eventually by always making sure there was a pillar between us, although I still went through about 14 swigs from my Estus. Lit the bonfire at the end, although I know there is another ending, by leaving the room I think? I did practice parrying a bit on the Black Knights before him, but I was just plain bad at it, and I basically hadn't parried in the whole game beforehand.

Anyway, I'll write up more detailed thoughts in a couple of days when I'm back in work (rather than from my phone).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well, I'm finished. Took him down eventually by always making sure there was a pillar between us, although I still went through about 14 swigs from my Estus. Lit the bonfire at the end, although I know there is another ending, by leaving the room I think? I did practice parrying a bit on the Black Knights before him, but I was just plain bad at it, and I basically hadn't parried in the whole game beforehand.

Anyway, I'll write up more detailed thoughts in a couple of days when I'm back in work (rather than from my phone).

Congrats dude! It sounds like it was a long journey but glad to see you made it through.

Boney

Banned

The other ending is by following the other snake serpent instead of frampt. After getting The Lord vessel, you need to clear new Londo before placing it for frampt

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The other ending is by following the other snake serpent instead of frampt. After getting The Lord vessel, you need to clear new Londo before placing it for frampt

You don't need to do that. All you have to do is walk out without lighting the bonfire.

2AdEPT

You don't need to do that. All you have to do is walk out without lighting the bonfire.

yeah but if you are meeting
kaathe
for the first time at the end of the game
without talking to him
what is the significance??!!?!? You want the full <mInD bLoWn> moment no?

Congrats dude! It sounds like it was a long journey but glad to see you made it through.

Thanks pal. Certainly was an epic journey for me, and I'm glad to have finished it and be able to say I've fully experienced one of the most highly regarded games of all time. Even if, like Ocarina of Time, I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd expected.

Okay, so a summary of what I thought about the game's content:

Areas I liked:
Firelink Shrine
Undead Burg/Parish
Darkroot Garden/Basin
Kiln of the First Flame (really great ending area with some excellent environmental storytelling)
New Londo Ruins
Anor Londo (probably the best area in the game)
The Duke's Archives
The Painted World of Ariamis
Oolacile (all DLC areas)

Areas I didn't like:
Lost Izalith - just awful. My least favourite part of the game. Rubbish enemies, dull design and annoying constant damage from the lava
Crystal Cave - a neat idea, but poorly paced, walkways you can fall off by no fault of your own and irritating invisible walkways
Sen's Fortress - I kind of like the idea of this trap-filled area but I didn't like the execution all that much and found it very cheap
Tomb of the Giants - again, a good idea but I didn't like the execution much, and I really disliked the crawling skeletons/dog skeletons, who are too strong and have annoying flail attacks
Blighttown - I liked the idea and it was probably the most draining area in the game, but the technical performance is soooo bad that it really affected my enjoyment

Bosses I liked:
Ornstein & Smough (hard as hell, but very enjoyable)
Great Grey Wolf Sif
Knight Artorias
Sanctuary Guardian
Chaos Witch Quelaag
Iron Golem
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Dark Sun Gwyndolin

Bosses I didn't like:
Bed of Chaos
Demon Centipede
Demon Firesage
Ceaseless Discharge
Hydra (I don't think the game copes well with larger bosses and this was cheap as you're right on the water's edge)

I didn't defeat Manus and Kalameet from the DLC, and the Hydra in Ash Lake, and the others whom I haven't mentioned I don't particularly have an opinion on or am ambivalent towards.

Croc

Banned
anyone interested in helping me with Four Kings? I've been waiting for people to summon for like 3 days but every one that has (rarely) showed up has failed. I much more enjoy fighting the bosses with help than trying over and over again on my own, at least after a first few tries. I'm right before the fog door and level 68.

Croc

Banned
I'm having the most bizarre and fucking infuriating problem right now and I have no idea what's wrong!

I'm at the final boss and every time I enter the boss area, within 30 seconds to a minute my controller dies. It's not low on batteries, and it won't die any other time. But as soon as I start the battle it inevitably dies. It's even more infuriating because last night when I was fighting him it wasn't doing this, but I was also doing terribly against him. Now I'm doing super well right up until my controller dies each time.

I swear to god if I have to buy a new controller just to finish this game...

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Yes it came out for PS3 too, I've rarely seen it though.

Okay good I guess, although I ask because yeah it seems weirdly hard to find :/ you'd think it would be more common like any GOTY / "complete" edition

Edit: I think it may not be available in NTSC, but apparently PS3's aren't region locked though so I can just import?

mstevens

So I am playing this for the first time (PS3) and I want to join the sunlight covenant, but I can't find people to help. I'm around level 50 at Sen's fortress... Where should I lay my soap stone down?

SDR-UK

So I am playing this for the first time (PS3) and I want to join the sunlight covenant, but I can't find people to help. I'm around level 50 at Sen's fortress... Where should I lay my soap stone down?

I can drop Sunlight Medals for you?

You may not find a lot of traffic these days unfortunately. Let me know.

mstevens

I can drop Sunlight Medals for you?

You may not find a lot of traffic these days unfortunately. Let me know.

I appreciate that! But as far as I've read to actually join the covenant I either have to have 25 faith or help people kill bosses. As far as I understand the medals won't help me until I join the covenant.

SDR-UK

In that case then, I could have you help me kill a few bosses. What areas do you have access to and how many do we need to do? My memory of this is terrible!

We could do (on a character I have, and up to Sens which you have access to) Taurus, Gargoyles, Butterfly, Sif, Quelaag, Capra Demon, Gaping Dragon and Iron Golem. I'm sure I may have another character that you could help on if that isn't enough, too. What do you say?

mstevens

Do you have a character that is close enough in level to me that hasn't killed those bosses though? I think you can only summon me if I'm close to your level and if the boss is still alive in your world. I'd only need to help with 3 or 4!

That would be awesome. I could help with Capra, gargoyles, butterfly and the big demon in the depths

SDR-UK

Yeah I have characters that I can level up from SL1 runs and stuff. When do you want to do it? Now good? If so, throw me a friend request: SDR-UK.

mstevens

I'll send you a friend request. I'm not at home now, in 3-4 hours I will be!

Edit oh shoot I'm in North America, that will be a problem won't it

After years of trying, and failing, to get into this game, something must have clicked and I'm having a pretty good time. I am however rather lost.

I've just killed the gargoyles - which wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting - but now I'm not sure where I should be heading. At the moment I'm battling my way through a forest, but I'm not sure this is the way to the second bell. Any suggestions/is there a set order to do things in?

After years of trying, and failing, to get into this game, something must have clicked and I'm having a pretty good time. I am however rather lost.

I've just killed the gargoyles - which wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting - but now I'm not sure where I should be heading. At the moment I'm battling my way through a forest, but I'm not sure this is the way to the second bell. Any suggestions/is there a set order to do things in?

You should have gotten a key somewhere along the way to the gargoyles. Why don't you see if you can figure out where to use it?

The door is on the dragon bridge

Top Bottom