• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Runbow |OT| Taste the Runbow

Exile20

oucVD6E.jpg

System: Wii U
Release Date: US Aug 27, 2015/JP Shortly after/EU 3rd September
No. of Players: up to 9 players
Category: Party
Publisher: 13AM Games
Developer: 13AM Games
Price: US $14.99 - CA $15.99/15% discount if you downloaded the E3 demo and purchase within 45 days of release

DESCRIPTION
Get ready for local multiplayer like you've never seen!

Runbow is a fast-paced action party game with a never-before seen color mechanic: Up-to nine players race against each other as platforms and obstacles appear and disappear when the background changes colors. Players can sprint against each other in Run, or go head-to-head in one of Runbow’s six additional modes, including Arena, King of the Hill, ColourMaster and The Bowhemoth.

FEATURES
· Local Nine-player Multiplayer – The biggest couch-multiplayer experience to come to Wii U, ever!

· If You Can’t See It, It Doesn’t Exist! – Players must think fast as obstacles appear and disappear with the changing backgrounds.

· ‘60s Poster Art Aesthetic – Using the unique art style of Saul Bass and the Czechoslovakian New Wave, Runbow is not only fun to play, it’s fun to look at.

· Play Online! – Play Run, Arena, and King of the Hill in Open or Private parties with people all over the world!

· Hundreds of Challenges – Runbow’s packed to the brim with challenging levels and endless permutations of color transitions and obstacles!

· Six Great Game Modes – Challenge friends in King of the Hill, Arena, Run, and ecome the ColourMaster and dominate Runbow’s colorful world. Or play by yourself or with friends in Adventure or Bowhemoth, our toughest platforming challenge yet.

· One Master to Rule Them All – Play against friends in ColourMaster mode, where challengers race against one malevolent ColourMaster who controls the colours and obstacles in the level.

· Master The Bowhemoth – Runbow’s toughest game mode, The Bowhemoth, has racers tackle more than 30 minutes of platforming challenges that will put the patience and skill of even the toughest players to the test.

· Tons of Unlockable Costumes – From Pirate to Zombie to Ninja, players can pick the runner that's right for them.

· Challenges, Achievements, and More – Hours of replayability and unlockable content will keep gamers running back for more.

· Indie Guest Characters! – Shovel Knight, CommanderVideo, Gunvolt and more have joined the race! Unlock them all!

SCREENSHOTS

JD7z4jMl.png
JuRW4RBl.png

JwxMmfMl.png
C3CSpmcl.png

VIDEOS

REVIEWS

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/runbow - 89

GUEST CHARACTERS
547fxXe.jpg

Nintenleo

Can't wait, this could be one of the best Wii U exclusives. The demo was so much fun!

I'll never find nine people to play this, but it's crazy even with 3-4 friends.

Exile20

Can't wait, this could be one of the best Wii U exclusives. The demo was so much fun!

I'll never find nine people to play this, but it's crazy even with 3-4 friends.

It is also online, public and private matchmaking. I hope we can get some gaf games in.

WVW69iVQqqoz9pD4mW

Fun is an option, lol.

jholmes

FYI for Canadians: the good Toronto boys at 13 AM are only charging us a very fair $15.99. All the more reason to pick Runbow up!

Played for 30 minutes so far. Its great fun but there is a technical issue that need to be fixed. There is some really noticeable stuttering on levels that change colors quickly. I've died a few times because of it. It was in the Nindies demo too IIRC. Other than that I'm having a great time with it.

EulaCapra

Having a blast with it so far although many modes not involving running to the goal aren't available for solo players. No CPU's which wouldn't be a problem if there were more people and the matchmaking were more seamless.

It took me forever to try King of the Hill online. It needs a minimum of 4 players and there should automatically be a lobby timer from the start and not just when a fourth person joined. Most of the time, it would find 2-3 players and we would be waiting for the longest time for a fourth person so it could countdown to game time, but we each assumed it would be dead so we would exit out the lobby.

Naite

Enjoying this game as I expected, but finding matches online is such a pain. Been waiting in this lobby for the past 5 minutes and everyone who joins leaves after a few seconds.

Exile20

Having a blast with it so far although many modes not involving running to the goal aren't available for solo players. No CPU's which wouldn't be a problem if there were more people and the matchmaking were more seamless.

It took me forever to try King of the Hill online. It needs a minimum of 4 players and there should automatically be a lobby timer from the start and not just when a fourth person joined. Most of the time, it would find 2-3 players and we would be waiting for the longest time for a fourth person so it could countdown to game time, but we each assumed it would be dead so we would exit out the lobby.

about to dl it, cant we get some private matches going?

Stopdoor

I'm hyped, though not so hyped about controller choices - I have literally piles of every controller for Wii and Wii U except the Classic Controller set, which I've never needed.

Super lame Smash Bros. gets to make the exception to have more than 5 wireless controllers and the Gamecube adaptor.

But enough hate, I'm excited to give this a try with Nunchuks at least!

Yuterald

Does the demo have to be present in order to receive the discount? Seems unlikely, but unsure. I could have sworn I downloaded the demo, but I deleted them all awhile ago to free some space and I'm not seeing a discount.

I'm guessing no support for 7 Bluetoooth controllers like Smash either.

Very excited for the game but I'm waiting a month so my 15% discount expires. This is pretty much the exact type of game I want. Lots of modes, customization and actually using the Gamepad.

I wish you could buy download codes for non-Nintendo games. I would buy one or two and give them away.

Vena

Mmkay, I beat the first boss and worked out most of the first quadrant of the story mode.

Quite good, and some of the "red" levels are straight up nasty in their puzzle platforming. The scrolling colors and various tricks/traps really keep the pace up and keeps level to level smooth. In general levels have ranged between 20-30s for me, with a few taking a minute or so to puzzle out the trick.

First Santora fight is pretty straight forward, only trick is the puzzle pattern.

Pretty excellent music too.

Exile20

Mmkay, I beat the first boss and worked out most of the first quadrant of the story mode.

Quite good, and some of the "red" levels are straight up nasty in their puzzle platforming. The scrolling colors and various tricks/traps really keep the pace up and keeps level to level smooth. In general levels have ranged between 20-30s for me, with a few taking a minute or so to puzzle out the trick.

First Santora fight is pretty straight forward, only trick is the puzzle pattern.

Pretty excellent music too.

The music is godly. The death msges are great too

Bulbasaur

Banned
Tried the demo. Really wanted to like it but although I dug it visually, I found the controls/physics not to my liking. If it had online I may have persevered.

Exile20

Tried the demo. Really wanted to like it but although I dug it visually, I found the controls/physics not to my liking. If it had online I may have persevered.

It has online, up to 4 local can go online with you, 3 modes and public and private matchmaking.

maxcriden

So, do the colors scroll by you in every level? Concerned it might be a bit dizzying. Game looks great otherwise though.

Downloaded it last night, and beat (ran) through the adventure mode. It's fantastic!

The online was really fun as well, but I had issues finding matches after my first few.

Exile20

Downloaded it last night, and beat (ran) through the adventure mode. It's fantastic!

The online was really fun as well, but I had issues finding matches after my first few.

Really? I haven't had issues finding matches yet. It should get better when more people buying the game. Maybe they are playing the Bowhemoth.

schlew

Had a great time last night, playing with some folks online from Nintendo World Report. It was my first time playing since the Demo, and I was slaughtered, but it ran well and sounded beautiful.

Excited to jump into all those modes! It's quite a beast.

Doesn't seem to be gaining much traction on GAF...

I haven't had a chance to jump into this yet. Any impressions? I'm a platformer freak and can't wait to fire this up.

EulaCapra

Doesn't seem to be gaining much traction on GAF...

I haven't had a chance to jump into this yet. Any impressions? I'm a platformer freak and can't wait to fire this up.
I think people are aware and excited about this game but the fast release date was unexpected. For the longest time, it was "Q3 2015" and then like three weeks ago, it's all like, "August 27, 2015!" Like what? Are you sure you don't what to take the time to market it some more?

Game is amazing. Although I hope it's patched soon because it stutters sometimes in multiplayer AND single-player making it easy to get killed. Multiplayer is great because Runs/Brawls/King of the Hill matches are done in five or ten sets and it feels okay NOT scoring at all. It doesn't make you feel like complete shit getting a score of 0 after ten Runs because many rounds go under a minute and the items are so chaotic that you'll feel good to survive a round at all.

Top Bottom