• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropico 5 |OT| Top Banana Republic Man

benao

Neo Member
Uhmmm, reviews are not that bad, I want to try it

wNizDEI.png

Rip

Anyone get the physical release? Is it able to be activated on Steam?

Need to use that GCU at Bestbuy.

By far the worst and most irritating part of Tropico 4.

I'll never understand the "logic" behind the construction mechanism, pretty sure it's completely broken.

That's always been part of the franchise

And in any case, it seems they have added a "payment" option that lets you build new structures instantly, without waiting for workers

Bricky

I love me some Tropico, although I do not like the fact they are basically just making an enourmous expansion to Tropico 4 (which was in turn the same to Tropico 3). If they do the 'same game but different' thing for Tropico 6 again I'm not sure if it will be worth buying anymore, you can only milk a franchise for so long.

But for now, I can't wait to buy this in a sale and be El Presidente all over again. :D

Tropico is one of my favorite gaming series, I love basically every facet and the era's is a good addition, eventually maybe they can make it more like a real island simulator with multiple city control etc.

Either way I love that Tropico is alive and well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So the general consensus is that this game is Tropico 4 plus stuff? Does that make it generally a better game? Is there anything added that impacts the gameplay negatively?

I ask because I never played Tropico 4, so if that game is better than 5, maybe I'll pick that up instead. However, it seems like most people are saying that Tropico 5 is alright.

Shahadan

So the general consensus is that this game is Tropico 4 plus stuff? Does that make it generally a better game? Is there anything added that impacts the gameplay negatively?

I ask because I never played Tropico 4, so if that game is better than 5, maybe I'll pick that up instead. However, it seems like most people are saying that Tropico 5 is alright.

Might be a little too soon, game has been available for 3 hours :lol:
Reviews seem to agree it's the best tropico yet but additions don't bring that much to the formula. Still, multiplayer and all that.

Tropico 4 has a great great campaign and a lot of content in any case. I've sunk 100+ hours in that one.

creyas

Anyone playing with a pad? Can't figure it out. Tutorial just talks about mouse+keyboard in the beginning, cant figure out how to even accept the tasks with a pad - camera and the main menu work fine. Sort of seems like it doesn't really work. Anyone?

edit: Checked the Kalypso forums;
"Controller support will be added in later again."

Meh. :( No comfy couch for now then.

Aaron D.

Downloading. Says 1.9 gigs for me.

Yeah, isn't that a hoot? I did a double-take when my download started and said the same.

The funny part is that Tropico 5 is outstanding visually, with a vibrant & inviting presentation. There's tons of voicework, great music, and lots of game systems running under the hood...yet it's only 1.9 gigs.

Isn't the new Wolfenstein like 50+ gigs?

Crazy.

Shahadan

Huh that's cool, for once when you come back to an island in the campaign, your buildings and city will still be there. I don't know if that's the case for the entire campaign but I kinda want to restart and plan accordingly this time :p
I have the bad habit to put things everywhere in awkward positions when I know the end of the mission is near

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How is the dynasty system? I don't expect anything in the depth of the Sims or Crusader Kings II but does it at least work well within the game? Does your El Presidente age,marry, have children etc?

Jintor

How is the dynasty system? I don't expect anything in the depth of the Sims or Crusader Kings II but does it at least work well within the game? Does your El Presidente age,marry, have children etc?

It's a nothing. You get a pop-up once in a while.

So I've been playing for a few days now and I agree with some of Rowan's points in the ArsTechnica review - the lack of negative feedback to tell you what you're doing wrong is very irritating, especially when it comes to Homelessness and lowered Entertainment satisfaction. But my other problem is that they STILL haven't fixed the road design quite yet. You can alleviate it pretty easily once you hit the Modern Age and start metro transit systems, but especially if your primary ports are in your central city, you're going to get these massive clogged streets because there's only one-lane roads available.

DocSeuss

So far, so great. Doesn't seem to like in-home streaming, though.

That's always been part of the franchise

And in any case, it seems they have added a "payment" option that lets you build new structures instantly, without waiting for workers

That was in Tropico 4. Just one of a huge number of changes nobody paid attention to in Tropico 4, instead saying it was identical to Tropico 3. Idiots.

Jintor

The boom/bust system of waiting for ships to come in with money is still present too. Far more frequent though, especially with multiple ports/trade ships. Not sure how they'd address it though...

Shahadan

For new members it's mostly (always?) Penultimo telling you your affair is giving birth or something stupid like that. You can allow other members to run for election or send them somewhere for a quest. They can level up (with money, unfortunately). You decide of their look and special ability.
Your presidente can retire though. Haven't tried yet but I suppose you just switch character.
Seems just a minor useless addition for now to me, once again. I guess if you're into roleplay or just a creative person you can have fun with that.

JordanN

Banned
This game has been an important inspiration for me, despite never playing a Tropico before. Will definitely pick this up whenever I have the funds.

I've never used the Kalypso downloader or whatever. What am I supposed to do to redeem my Nuuvem key? I don't know where to go. I went to a Redeem Key page on the launcher site but it says my key is invalid?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Game is a bit harder than 4 and I find myself missing some aspects of it such as the perks.

I got voted out in the world wars... :'(

Couldn't rig the elections and I couldn't keep people happy enough.

The fuck can I entertain them when all I go are shitty bars and restaurants?!

So I started the campaign and got as far as declaring independence on one island. Now when I go to continue my campaign I can only select the other island (Boa-boa) and it looks like I'm starting from scratch. Is that the way the campaign is supposed to go? What happened to my other island?

As you can see, I've never played Tropico before. It's really fun though.

Jintor

I would guess that your bars and restaurants are simply being overloaded. Is not very good at telling you about this kind of thing.

Also the construction offices don't tell you what's actively being worked on anymore. Lame!

Mohonky

Game seems like a definite evolution of the series, 4 was more of an expansion pack where this feels like a proper sequel. The new menu system looks good, there are more elements to the gameplay and the visuals definitely had a nice little bump to really polish it all off. Think I am going to enjoy this.

pilonv1

Managed to fail the final tutorial mission even with rigging the election. If I want to try it again I have to start the tutorial from the beginning.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
When using a controller, you can only scroll the map and that's it.

Even though on the store page it clearly states "full controller support", and on top of that there is a console version.

God damn do I hate when developers lie on their steam page. I would not have bought this if I knew I couldn't use the controller.

Alex

When using a controller, you can only scroll the map and that's it.

Even though on the store page it clearly states "full controller support", and on top of that there is a console version.

God damn do I hate when developers lie on their steam page. I would not have bought this if I knew I couldn't use the controller.

Are you sure? I was just reading a post about the controller implementation and opinions on it.

They did mention in this game that it was an option that had to be toggled on, though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are you sure? I was just reading a post about the controller implementation and opinions on it.

They did mention in this game that it was an option that had to be toggled on, though.

I went through all the menus looking for a controller enable option and didn't see anything.

Can you link me to the post that talks about how to do it?

Jintor

Check the patch notes. I think they might have shipped without support but are promising to patch it in asap. Not much of an excuse, but still.

Mrbob

I went through all the menus looking for a controller enable option and didn't see anything.

Can you link me to the post that talks about how to do it?

Click on options, should show up on the first page:

y5Drmma.jpg

Managed to fail the final tutorial mission even with rigging the election. If I want to try it again I have to start the tutorial from the beginning.

Same. I'll just leave it be.

DocSeuss

I'm having a hard time maintaining my approval rating.

Also, not too wild about most of the humor being referential. I've experienced some funny stuff, but overall, the campaign's narrative isn't nearly as funny as 4's. Also, kinda weird that I'm going back and forth between just two islands.

Salsa

I want this but I bought Tropico 4 at release and never played it so I guess I just like the idea of Tropico or something

Jintor

I'm having a hard time maintaining my approval rating.

Also, not too wild about most of the humor being referential. I've experienced some funny stuff, but overall, the campaign's narrative isn't nearly as funny as 4's. Also, kinda weird that I'm going back and forth between just two islands.

It's interesting. I like that you get the chance to build up a city (or two cities), but the lack of different island hurts it. And yeah, i'm not quite finding it as funny... Though at the same time, it's about as fun-lame as it normally is

DocSeuss

It's interesting. I like that you get the chance to build up a city (or two cities), but the lack of different island hurts it. And yeah, i'm not quite finding it as funny... Though at the same time, it's about as fun-lame as it normally is

I like it, but the constant pressure to perform (and poor communication beyond 'here is a low number') removes the zen-like calm. Couple that with the reduced hilarity, and I'm kinda disappointed. I'm also not wild about the references to Firefly and Brokeback Mountain. I liked it when the humor was self-contained in the series.

I miss old Penultimo. I remember that they lost Sunny's voice actress for the campaign. That was sad too. :(

Steam Cloud doesn't appear to be working. Trying to play on my desktop now, after a few hours on my laptop... and it's only got my old saves.

I scrolled through quickly and my sleepy brain melded the title of this thread and the The Order one together into "Stop Teasing The Banana Man"
I will now live my life according to this creed.

Carry on.

Scotch

Only played the first mission. It feels more like a true sequel and less of an expansion pack than Tropico 4 did, so that's good. Although the engine still feel very familiar of course.

It throws a lot of those missions/objectives at you, my least favorite part of Tropico 4. It makes sense to get objectives in the campaign, but I barely had time do my own thing. It wasn't very relaxing, which is the reason I play Tropico. Hopefully it loosens up in later missions.

The music was alright, but not as good as Tropico 3/4's, which is a bloody shame. I might just play the old soundtrack in the background if it starts to annoy me.

Not sure about the "managers" yet. It seems a little micromanagement-y, and not actually fun.

Having said all that, I did have fun.

ankuo

Banned
Hi guys i cant post a new topic hence why this might deviate from the subject at hand.. What has happened to one of my all time favorite games. ceaser building series ? why did they stop making them ?

Stitch

Gold Member
The music in 3 and 4 was better. In 5 it's just instrumental :/
I'm sure Kalypso is already planning for lots of DLC, I hope one of them is a music DLC :3

Top Bottom