• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division console version possibly running at a higher framerate if you choose to

Tomeru

ROTTR has input lag. The Division is butter smooth in comparison (seriously, I dont remember any input lag during the beta. Maybe because I disabled CA).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't like this kind of thing. Hope it doesnt become some sort of trend.

In any case, the game is locked to 30fps, your saying vsynch is disabled with lighting disabled to reach a higher FPS?

Chabbles

This is what PC gaming is for. I'd much rather an equal playing field (no difference in input lag across the board on console). And the Devs just optimize the shit out of the game best they can to give everyone the best their system get manage.. instead of making us pick and choose.. ill be in the damn menus for hours fiddling around too!

Gaz_RB

This is what PC gaming is for. I'd much rather an equal playing field (no difference in input lag across the board on console). And the Devs just optimize the shit out of the game best they can to give everyone the best their system get manage.. instead of making us pick and choose.. ill be in the damn menus for hours fiddling around too!

I agree with this. I have my PC for fiddling. On consoles, I just want the most optimized game they can come up with. I don't want to sacrifice graphics just so that I'm on an even playfield with someone who turned off the lighting.

Maxey

Honestly, I think this option means more to the developers than to us. Devs sweat their asses off creating these incredibly looking worlds only for most of the time having to cut down on effects or simplifying geometry to achieve a stable(ish) framerate. For most releases they still have a PC version to unleash their whole effort on (well, sometimes) but on console exclusive, all those high quality assets are just lost.

If more devs/publishers started allowing an option to have either better visuals at the cost of framerate and vice versa, devs could still have their work really shown at its highest quality for those who want to see it while people who favor smooth framerate can have the option to have an uglier game that runs better.

Win/win I think.

eso76

But I thought the Division was almost rock solid 30fps.
The beta was at least. It means the final version will have optional better lighting ?

spannicus

What's the point having a dedicated PC build if you're just going to limit it because of consoles to be "fair".

I don't even have a gaming PC, and shit like this is why I see no point in building one.
I agree, just built a beast so i could play games with all the bells and whistles. Have both consoles but a game being held back to keep in line with consoles does suck.

jelly

Not really a fan of this, switching off CA is fine but this is going a bit far, make the best game.

Qassim

The thing is, a lot of this is preference. What is 'most optimised' for one dev, is not the 'most optimised' for another. You're just accepting what each dev determines is the most optimial balance between visual fidelity and performance either way.

Developers offering options to deviate from this wouldnt change that. There would still be the optimised default. Just options if people didn't agree with the developer to, for example, reduce the quality of some effects in exchange for a better framerate. There is absolutely no need for optimised defaults to be any different than the current situation. I mean, I wouldn't ever suggest adding full PC like settings to console games, that'd be silly. But having a setting here and there to turn up or down the quality of certain things (e.g. shadow resolution, lighting, etc) should do no harm to console games, it should be a net positive. There would be nothing forcing you to even look at those settings if you didn't want to, just do what you always did before, accept what you were given.

I don't see why if you're willing to accept what you're given now, why wouldn't you be willing to accept what you were given then? When there more options available? The default would be the exact same as what you would have had before, except now some people who disagree with that default can now change it. If you're happy with what you get now, then why would you even consider changing those options?

Hmmmm, what's all this input lag people are talking about. I didn't notice it at all during the x1 beta and I can be pretty sensitive to those things.

Chabbles

The thing is, a lot of this is preference. What is 'most optimised' for one dev, is not the 'most optimised' for another. You're just accepting what each dev determines is the most optimial balance between visual fidelity and performance either way.

Developers offering options to deviate from this wouldnt change that. There would still be the optimised default. Just options if people didn't agree with the developer to, for example, reduce the quality of some effects in exchange for a better framerate. There is absolutely no need for optimised defaults to be any different than the current situation. I mean, I wouldn't ever suggest adding full PC like settings to console games, that'd be silly. But having a setting here and there to turn up or down the quality of certain things (e.g. shadow resolution, lighting, etc) should do no harm to console games, it should be a net positive. There would be nothing forcing you to even look at those settings if you didn't want to, just do what you always did before, accept what you were given.

I don't see why if you're willing to accept what you're given now, why wouldn't you be willing to accept what you were given then? When there more options available? The default would be the exact same as what you would have had before, except now some people who disagree with that default can now change it. If you're happy with what you get now, then why would you even consider changing those options?

One dev teams idea of an optimized game is different than another ?. So be it then, but let the dev team decide on a game by game basis since its their baby, not the millions of players. But you're missing the point of muddying the playing field. Input lag in competitive game make a difference no matter which way you try and spin it. .

Edit, superficial stuff like giving the option to disable CA is great though.

Zeta Oni

Hmmmm, what's all this input lag people are talking about. I didn't notice it at all during the x1 beta and I can be pretty sensitive to those things.

Not sure, didn't feel any during the beta on X1.

Especially compared to ROTTR, which is one of the first times I've ever seen input lag be that noticable.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
But I thought the Division was almost rock solid 30fps.
The beta was at least. It means the final version will have optional better lighting ?

It was.

Which is why I am hoping they let us enable the dynamic global illumination. Worse frames, far better lighting.

Ashtar

What the fuck is this? And people wonder why there's arguments of parity all the time.

When he said that I knew he goofed up

I think probably it means that pushing for crazy high end things that very little people would be able to use (eg only the top end of PC's") probably isn't worth it but yeah how he said sounds like "Dat Parity" TM

omonimo

Banned
God I hope it doesn't means this game runs totally shitty in the more demanding situations because such option give me this suspect.
I see the final mission on YouTube and on the xbone fps it's worrying.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I wonder if all that means is, is that it's a super stable 30fps. Considering how much they are leaning into dynamic frame rates it can't see it going above 30fps unless it's just labeled "high fps mode" and makes the game look like butt.

Doomshine

I remember the console version of Two Worlds 2 let you access the dev console and mess around with a bunch of settings, it was pretty cool.

Helznicht

I wonder if all that means is, is that it's a super stable 30fps. Considering how much they are leaning into dynamic frame rates it can't see it going above 30fps unless it's just labeled "high fps mode" and makes the game look like butt.

This can go the other way also. Maybe they are thinking to add options for better graphics beyond beta (defaulted off), but those tank the framerate below 30fps. Still your choice.

jesu

I remember the console version of Two Worlds 2 let you access the dev console and mess around with a bunch of settings, it was pretty cool.

I had to turn off bloom every time I loaded it up.And maybe couple of other things.
It was a pain but made it look much better.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I do like having more options, but I also fear that developers may use this to release poorly optimized versions of games that run like shit with all the bells and whistles turned on. That's one of the things I enjoy about consoles -- you get one product, and it's either good, or it's not.

Not discounting the PC experience of course, but that's what that platform is superb at -- customizing the experience based on your hardware and preferences. I just don't think consoles have enough under the hood to make these options exciting.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Won't this give people an advantage in PVP who opt for lower graphics?

I actually love the idea, but I'm buying this on PC anyway.

Won't this give people an advantage in PVP who opt for lower graphics?

I would say not really, it's a non-twitch cover shooter. I guess in the Dark Zone it helps to have a fast reaction time and lack of input lag if some Rogue shit is happening, but I just don't think it's the type of shooter where that extra split second makes that much of a difference.

finalflame

Gold Member
Are people in this thread really complaining about having options you don't have to touch? If you don't want to bother with the options, just don't mess with them. For those who do, the option is nice.

I will never understand this mentality. You can still put the disc in and just play the game. Ignore the graphics menu. Nothing changes. You get the default experience. For others who might want to sacrifice some graphical features to get higher framerates, they can.

Nice option, but I don't think it will be worth it for another 10 fps or so. Unless it bumps it to 60 I'm fine with a solid 30 which is what it seems to be.

Hyun Sai

Nice option, but I don't think it will be worth it for another 10 fps or so. Unless it bumps it to 60 I'm fine with a solid 30 which is what it seems to be.

I think it's more in those eventual stressful situations (we usually see in endgame) where the framerate can drop way below 30.

omonimo

Banned
I think it's more in those eventual stressful situations (we usually see in endgame) where the framerate can drop way below 30.
I'm glad to have more options but if it means shitty performance with the stressfull situation, fuck off. I pretend a good average fps all the time, not this cheap solution.

It will be interesting to see what digital foundry says upon full release with all the missions/skills/etc being available. I think for the beta at least ps4 didn't have any drops and Xbox might have had a few. Xbox also has dynamic resolution to help out too.

I personally wouldn't choose to lower the graphics all the time to avoid some slowdown in the occasional situation and I definitely wouldn't remember to switch when I know I'm approaching a hairy spot.

I wonder if Ubisoft has a means of tracking the amount of players who use the option, it could lead to some interesting conclusions.

Are people in this thread really complaining about having options you don't have to touch? If you don't want to bother with the options, just don't mess with them. For those who do, the option is nice.

I will never understand this mentality. You can still put the disc in and just play the game. Ignore the graphics menu. Nothing changes. You get the default experience. For others who might want to sacrifice some graphical features to get higher framerates, they can.

i like you

omonimo

Banned
Well, many console games already have shitty performance in endgame without any option to improve it.

I also hope so.
Many games like? I know just a bunch. Still I preferred more optimization than such solutions, if it's the only reason to have it.

I've seen threads where someone suggested that games should come with a single toggle between two graphics settings, one prioritizing resolution and image quality, the other framerate.

I was surprised by the number of people that screamed "NO!"

Setsuna

Many games like? I know just a bunch. Still I preferred more optimization than such solutions, if it's the only reason to have it.

Lets not act like optimization isnt the process of diminishing graphics in ways that the player wouldnt directly notice

geordiemp

something i really hated about the beta was the input lag it had so i hope it's what it is i think it is :)

Not played divsion beta, but after your input lag comment I am now wary of this game.

I hate laggy input controls, its up there with screen tearing as a red flag.

Top Bottom