• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat Invitational - Now with more DOTA!

First person to quote this post and reply gets my beta code.

I'm not too interested in the game as I got the code at the same time as the Phantasy Star Online 2 alpha 2

DarkKyo

Was going through my folder and found this scoreboard.jpg gem.

What is sad about the credits system is that even at an unbelievable number of kills like that you still only got 300 creds...

It's like come on I want to unlock a bunch of characters and perks now!

Edit: anyways I'm up to almost 3k creds. Don't know what I'll spend it on...

DarkKyo

after a few matches on it, I have to say that the new map is great. Really like the smaller size.

I only played half a game on it but it seemed super confusing to me.

Also, does anyone else have an issue where their SMNC client crashes like every match? It happens so much to me :( I usually fall behind...

inky

I had a lot of crashes, then I also had a bug in which no one can pick a character and it starts everyone as spectators. Have only played 3 full matches (lost all of them) and having not played the old one I'm kind of lost on what am I supposed to do. I get how MOBA games work (you know, farming, pushing lanes, leveling up, etc) but things seem less obvious in this one.

Keasar

After playing a few games, I keep getting angry at it. Probably because I am that horrible of a player and I just suck, alot, but really. I blind someone as Captain Spark, they jump around and panic grabs, for some reason managing to grapple me fore I can take them. The overall damage feels too weak, kinda takes forever to kill someone, 1-shot-kill attacks I dont miss, but this is just annoying. Lack of matchmaking keeps giving me games where the final score is around 50 - 15 kills for one team, I understand it is supposed to be in, but right now it just makes me feel bummed having to constantly loose that hard.

Atomski

I was in a game the other night where a dude was playing captain spark and he was doing insane numbers. Id see him for a second then someone near me would die. Guy would have kills in the uper 20s and hardly any deaths. Crazy thing though was his team was so awful that not even him owning us could not stop us from wining the round.

Sanic

Anecdotally, Cpt. Spark players appear to be the most dominant by a pretty wide margin.

For those struggling, I would recommend playing as the assault or combat girl for their first 10+ matches at least.

goober

I don't know what I'm doing in this game.
Is there any way to counter/block all those assassin's grapples or whatever?

DarkKyo

I don't know what I'm doing in this game.
Is there any way to counter/block all those assassin's grapples or whatever?

Best chance is to learn to grapple first or to avoid them. It's hard but it can be done.. just jump around and GTFO to a safe spot.

goober

Best chance is to learn to grapple first or to avoid them. It's hard but it can be done.. just jump around and GTFO to a safe spot.

I first played with the gorilla (Cheston?) so he's not very mobile.
So this team with 4/5 assassins would appear out of nowhere and fuck me up.

I would try escaping with the rampage skill or whatever it's called.
Then I waved my stick around lololol (the melee weapon) and did crazy damage than the machine gun.

Second game I played the robot. He seems to do a lot of damage, but the other team was like 3/5 tanks. Soo we couldn't kill anyone.

Yeah. Assassin's either chain grab or can just do it themselves. Their skill set is perfect for taking a random guy that's away from the team (or worse, the only one on the top of the map). Grab, then just circle around them slashing.
New map is really nice but there's a lot of hidden holes. And yeah, its crashing a bit more.
Overall its great. Products are nice but some of them are so pricey.
Also apparently there's a new pro called "Striker" in the pipeline.
Sometimes its worth it just to idle in the chat just to see what the devs are talking about.

Virzeth

I have two one invites for which I don't really have a use. Anyone wants to help me get rid of them it?
Edit_ using the Steam username is making it longer than I expected... If someone else is interested, please pm me your email. FYI & AFAIK, any address is good for the purpose, it doesn't necessarily need to be linked to your profile.

Game Over.

I have two one invites for which I don't really have a use. Anyone wants to help me get rid of them it?

Edit_ using the Steam username is making it longer than I expected... If someone else is interested, please pm me your email. FYI & AFAIK, any address is good for the purpose, it doesn't necessarily need to be linked to your profile.

I'll take one!

I am really struggling with this game after playing a lot of the original Monday Night Combat. The damage just feels off in a lot of places and grapples are worse than ever now. I'd rather they kill me in one hit than have me sit there for a minute while the whole team takes their turn beating the crap out of me.

Also locking away characters that could actually be useful is pretty lame. The team that has both the support and combat girl are almost unstoppable compared to the free to play teams.

docbon

Played several matches during the past two days.

Holy hell i am dreadful at this game. I definitely need to start making use of the practice mode before I end up with 5 wins and 100 losses in ranked. Just wish they were easier to organize.

Orayn

Also locking away characters that could actually be useful is pretty lame. The team that has both the support and combat girl are almost unstoppable compared to the free to play teams.
Then unlock one of those classes, play it, and ask someone else to play the other?

Card Boy

Banned

Yeah agreed. But the League of Legends kids seem to love it.

Good thing i got 600 Ubernet points from the closed beta. I can buy almost 4 Pros with it.

Tokubetsu

I really hate not being able to pick the hero I want when playing this. Is this a feature of the MNC games, or just of the beta?

Free to play system like League of Legends. You like a pro and want to use him all the time? Buy him either through U points or gold otherwise deal with the weekly rotation.

Boken

Banned
Its a feature of F2P business model (tm).

While I understand why they did it, I think unless they plan on releasing many pros, the pros should be unlocked and have compelling paid content (the skins are kinda meh).

Aaron

While I understand why they did it, I think unless they plan on releasing many pros, the pros should be unlocked and have compelling paid content (the skins are kinda meh).
They plan on releasing many pros, following the LOL model.

Tokubetsu

They plan on adding more pros (quite a few more if word around beta etc is to be believed). We should be seeing a new one soon if chat is to believed.

Boken

Banned
Yeah but it'll be very slow compared to LoL. We'll have like <20 Pros for a long time.

Anyway, everything costs way tooo much. Especially endorsements.

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah but it'll be very slow compared to LoL. We'll have like <20 Pros for a long time.

Anyway, everything costs way tooo much. Especially endorsements.

I sort of don't like endorsements, the negative stats on them don't seem worth it.

Card Boy

Banned
Nice website. Dam 60000 gold coins! I got 700 after 4 matches, this may take awhile.

That one you linked seems good for all classes, as opposed to LoL where you gotta build diffrence ones for Support/Tanks/Casters/DPS etc.

Boken

Banned
Every stat sounds like each Pro can use them because everybody pew-pews, but in reality, there is always max-min and different pages will suit different Pros.

(for example, that page sucks for assassin/sparks)

Yay, finally got my new laptop running - tried one game with the 360 pad but found there to be a lot of lag (probably my end unfortunately...)

I thought it'd run a bit smoother too - I don't have great specs by any means (AMD 3500m w/6620g) but it's not as smooth as I imagined.

So the idea would be if I like playing combat girl only and want to get good with her, I would have to buy combat girl, and then I could be gauranteed to be able to select her?

Is choosing free in the sense that we could have 5 of the same character in the game at a time, or do they always make you select one from each "role"?

I'm really enjoying this so far ...running a lot smoother and the 360 pad works brilliantly with it.

Only used the assault class/combat girl so far - but looking forward to trying out some new ones.

Lesiroth

Hate to do it this way, but this game looks pretty interesting to me. If anyone has a spare invite, I'd appreciate it.

JustinBB7

Got into this day 1, I really like the game itself, just not the LoL model it uses. I might play it randomly here and there but since I got into the Dota 2 beta, and then seeing this use the LoL pay for pro's model.. big turn off.

Figured that since the devs like Steam so much they would have picked the more cosmetic route. Tried to play the beta again a few days ago, and I could only pick between 5 pro's..beginning of beta I could pick all of them. Not a big fan of gameplay changing money grabbing.

Top Bottom