• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

RagnarokX

Twisted Metal (Race)

i76_keycard1.jpg

Back in my day you had to start the car before you could drive it. No sympathy for the people that are saying the controls are too complicated. But there's still a little learning curve.

And hell, you put the Race Controls for some reason. The Classic Controls, which are default, are pretty much the same as TM2 but less complicated since they put turbo as doubletap gas and made the energy attacks 1-button commands. The only problem is that if they were going to put reverse on a stick they should have put it on the left stick.

And Twisted Metal still predates Interstate 76

ryuu99

Banned
guys on Machinima sucked big time. they don't even know how to use Turbo? come on. is it that hard to do a tutorial first?

RagnarokX

guys on Machinima sucked big time. they don't even know how to use Turbo? come on. is it that hard to do a tutorial first?

That's not even the worst of it. They couldn't figure out why they couldn't drive very well on ice. They didn't use their shields. They kept using Reaper without even knowing how to set the chainsaws on fire.

Probably the worst thing was "Does this game support custom soundtracks?" "I don't think PS3 can even do that yet."

Unicorn

I usually play Modnation Racers (love making tracks). Went back to Modnation since the demo was expired and told my friends there they should have tried Twisted Metal. One guy in the room starts saying he did try the demo and thought the graphics were terrible and it looked more like a PS2 game. WTF.

As opposed to Modnation Racers. Am I the only one to see the irony?

RagnarokX

As opposed to Modnation Racers. Am I the only one to see the irony?

Modnation Racers looks fine, but I thought it was funny because Twisted Metal looks better. The fact that Twisted Metal can keep up its framerate with all the shit going on around it is pretty remarkable.

Unicorn

Modnation Racers looks fine, but I thought it was funny because Twisted Metal looks better. The fact that Twisted Metal can keep up its framerate with all the shit going on around it is pretty remarkable.

I'm not saying MR is shitty, but to say that TM has bad graphics while playing a game that isn't about it's graphical prowess is hysterically hypocritical. MR's graphics are serviceable at best. It's beyond a pot calling the kettle black.

I think TM is an amazing technical achievement. Massive destruction, massive draw distance, silky-smooth framerate and pretty detailed graphics to boot. Maybe not as detailed as God of War 3, but with all the shit going on, it looks very pretty. And all that shit carries over to network play with no added framerate drops, visible lag, or input delay.

I think TM is an amazing technical achievement. Massive destruction, massive draw distance, silky-smooth framerate and pretty detailed graphics to boot. Maybe not as detailed as God of War 3, but with all the shit going on, it looks very pretty. And all that shit carries over to network play with no added framerate drops, visible lag, or input delay.

yea i love the destructibility and art direction.

anyways, booooooo this lame ass thread title.

ryuu99

Banned

and they did all this with only 35 people.

The only change to the default control scheme I'd like is to switch L3 to change target. Tapping square twice is fine for boost and from my experience, R3 is awkward to use.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, when I was playing my first game of Nuke and was chasing a guy into the theater for the first time, we both went into the room with all the chairs and I was blown away by how much stuff was breaking, perfectly fine. The game itself doesn't look that amazing, but it's for the sake of moments like what which fully capture what the game is about.

yep.

i really like the game visually, to me they made exactly the right choices.

there were some moments in the demo that made me go "wow that looked awesome", like when i hit a tree with napalm (looks really cool IMO), or when i accidentally took down a building i thought couldn't be destroyed, and there was smoke and shit everywhere. very nice.

the only thing that bothered me was the clipping when you ran into rock walls etc, you could see inside too easily as the camera always seemed to clip through the rock. not a big deal though, it's just something that annoys me in games.

Ravage

I agree wholeheartedly. ESP has worked some magic here to keep the framerate steady despite all the crazy stuff happening in real-time.

ElRenoRaven

yep.

i really like the game visually, to me they made exactly the right choices.

there were some moments in the demo that made me go "wow that looked awesome", like when i hit a tree with napalm (looks really cool IMO), or when i accidentally took down a building i thought couldn't be destroyed, and there was smoke and shit everywhere. very nice.

the only thing that bothered me was the clipping when you ran into rock walls etc, you could see inside too easily as the camera always seemed to clip through the rock. not a big deal though, it's just something that annoys me in games.

Yup. So many are quick to say it looks like crap but if you really look at everything that's going on it's a damn amazing sight. You have tons of destruction, tons of effects from the weapons, traffic, people, etc all while maintaining a smooth as butter framerate and almost no lag. That's something a lot of games still can't pull off even this late into the generation.

RagnarokX

They should make Vehicular Combat a category for this year's VGA's just so Twisted Metal would be the only nominee and Jaffe will get on stage.

They should make Vehicular Combat a category for this year's VGA's just so Twisted Metal would be the only nominee and Jaffe will get on stage.
lol people getting on stage at the VGAs.

Hope my Newegg order ships fast. As much as I want this game on launch, $12 off was too good a deal to pass up. Maybe pick it up retail and then return the copy I get from Newegg to the store?

Managed to do this before the demo expired: http://youtu.be/iZdqMoOr3ZM

ryuu99

Banned
Sony should make more of such teams. Smaller teams, less risk, more games, more innovation (hopefully).

first God OF War for PS2 had 50 people

Ico had 20 people

Shadow of the Colossus had 30 people

now Last Guardian has 40 people

Ready at Dawn (GOW PSP, Daxter i think) made up of devs from Naughty Dog and Blizzard only has what, like 10-12 people?

Polyphony of Gran Turismo fame had 140 people working on GT5 vs. Forza 4's 400+ people.

that means Polyphony did all the engine, textures, all the photo scans, research, track scanning through satellite and on-location, through gameplay design docs, online framework implementation, animations, physics, shaders, 3D, etc.

seriously, all those work for only 140 people? amazing is an understatement.

They did in some way but not sure how. Seems probably 99 percent was ESP. They may have helped with some Q&A and other stuff. Maybe if David is lurking the thread he can clear that up for us and explain how much was each.

If even 90% was done by ESP...goddamn.

Thought it was maybe a joint venture. Like ESP focusing more on design and SSM doing tech, or something similar. SSM appears before ESP in the opening splash screens.

ElRenoRaven

If even 90% was done by ESP...goddamn.

Thought it was maybe a joint venture. Like ESP focusing more on design and SSM doing tech, or something similar. SSM appears before ESP in the opening splash screens.

Oh yea. Hell 30 people even doing half is a feat much less most of it.

Ah but the engine is the ESP engine and from the way it's talked about you never hear SSM mentioned at all.

Still makes no sense to me how in a game like Twisted Metal where you really need a way to maximize button efficiency they didn't just make L2 brake AND reverse like most games and then map e-brake to L2+R2 like Warhawk and Starhawk (I know a few people from Eat, Sleep, Play including co-founder Scott Campbell worked on Warhawk). That way not only does it make the controls easier but it also frees up two buttons.

I agree. They really need to patch in fully customizable controls =(

You reading jaffe?

please!

Moofers

Dude you can't even play the demo in single-player? That sucks. I don't know that I've ever played a demo that has expired like that. Pretty lame.

You people never played WarHawk, didn't you?

ElRenoRaven

Hmm. I doubt that will do remtotely as good. But it looks interesting. Almost like a cross between Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby.

A new Twisted Metal University video going over vehicle tactics. Looks like we can expect a new video in this series every day leading up to launch.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/10/twisted-metal-university-lesson-2-vehicle-tactics/

Yup They mentioned a new one each day the other day. I love these videos. For once the makers of a game are actually trying to improve the playerbase skill. That's something you don't see every day. How many other games do you see the makers go and make help videos themselves to help them get better? I can't think of any myself.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The motion blur looks pretty great too. It definitely benefits from being a first party effort rather than a multiplat port.

Top Bottom