• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: Anti Used System 'can be a win and a loss'.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, resort to utterly absurd statements to point out how something is "stupid." You're really making your point there, buddy. I don't even know why you wasted your time posting something you knew was too absurd to even make a passing resemblance to a point.
I give up. You're too smart for me.

Tellaerin

I'm glad you're comfortable giving up your property rights. Most people would find this odious.

And yet it's exactly what people are letting themselves be talked around into doing. Worse yet, they've been led to believe they're 'saving the industry', and that the people digging in their heels and wanting to protect their basic rights are scum who are destroying it.

Well, if you don't like it, don't support it. Video Games are a non-essential thing. I'm willing to support this in order to help the industry to grow. You know, I like games. I really do. And I don't want to see game companies struggling just because you want to save a few bucks.

You're naive if you think this will help them. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be begging them to stop. There are any number of industries whose history you could look at and see that trying to exploit your customers, instead of serving them, is a great way to go bankrupt.

The used game business is a side effect of an overpriced, but highly desirable, thriving industry. They think they're trying to cut out a cancer, but they're really cutting off a leg and will soon be bleeding profusely.

And, as I said, they won't even realize what they've done. They'll stick their heads in the next available pile of sand (next to yours) and blame Apple.

If the next gen consoles implement an anti-used game measure they better go toe to toe with STEAM and other DD services regarding pricing. If not my console game purchases will decline by 90% or so, simple as that.
Seriously. Its not like the console makers have established credibility in terms of offering gotta-have-it sales through their digital storefronts. If their plan is to further fortify those walled gardens they'd do best to show us they're actually willing to compete with the likes of Steam and others. Its called give-and-take, not take-and-take-some-more.

big_z

There will still be used games and publishers will sell game keys online for $30. Because keys will become the norm trade in values will drop as will used game prices.

Keeping your system offline Will likely get around the issue though.

MC Safety

Well, if you don't like it, don't support it. Video Games are a non-essential thing. I'm willing to support this in order to help the industry to grow. You know, I like games. I really do. And I don't want to see game companies struggling just because you want to save a few bucks.

I like games, too. It does not mean I'm willing to allow game companies to take advantage of me or compromise my rights.

Game companies aren't your friend. They will exploit and manipulate you if it suits their interests and if they think they can get away with it. I have great respect for game creators and what they do. I am not willing to let them dictate what I can and cannot do with my legally purchased property.

That you would so casually give up your rights for a non-essential thing is a little sad.

If the next gen consoles implement an anti-used game measure they better go toe to toe with STEAM and other DD services regarding pricing. If not my console game purchases will decline by 90% or so, simple as that.

Indeed. If the price is low enough, resale value ceases to be an issue. But I'd still be concerned about long-term viability. I can still play my 2600 and NES games. But when Xbox Live or PSN goes away (and they will, nothing lasts forever), will the ability to play these games disappear as well? They'll need to convince me that won't be the case.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wow, and misplaced condescension! Is there any semblance of an ability to hold reasonable, adult discussion in you?
What is there to discuss? If you don't understand that it really is a problem when one game is bought and then resold 3, 4, a dozend times, then there is nothing to discuss.

Brannon

And yet it's exactly what people are letting themselves be talked around into doing. Worse yet, they've been led to believe they're 'saving the industry', and that the people digging in their heels and wanting to protect their basic rights are scum who are destroying it.

It's quite shocking, really. If I ever become this coachable, please kill me. Kill me in the face.

rCIZZLE

There will still be used games and publishers will sell game keys online for $30. Because keys will become the norm trade in values will drop as will used game prices.

Keeping your system offline Will likely get around the issue though.

They can require us to have an internet connection to play games. Even though that'd probably do more damage than eliminating used sales, I can see it happening. Didn't Blizzard do something like this with SC2 and Ubisoft with a couple of their games?

Yagharek

If you disconnect used sales from the current equation, developers and publishers will become healthy and will allow for a lot greater price fluctuation.

Big assumption. With increased margins on sale, what's to stop them cutting more features and trying to make more money by selling less content?

Love steam and I have purchased far more $60 games on the service than I have purchased prior to steam being around. But that is not the point- I have bought a ton of games on Steam for the sole purpose of doing my part to help developers out. I have like 100 games on my backlog and a bunch of them I won't even play.

This is logic I dont get. I like the butcher we buy from. I pay a little bit more for the quality and advice. But I wouldnt give him extra money for nothing if his business wasn't financially viable. That's just throwing good money after bad.

I will be so happy when used games go away so that I finally have an opportunity to have new experiences... Wave of originality will come because the risks are nullified.

No chance in hell. Any increase in profits will be demanded to be maintained by shareholder pressure. Big developers/publishers will keep on chasing/cloning the next GTA/CoD success story.

Maybe you guys are young, or something. But I remember the days when a title like Grim Fandango or Kings Quest were the most ambitious titles in the industry. Nobody can afford to take risks like that these days and it's pretty sad that people would rather cling to the minute monetization of their relatively inexpensive assets and force what few developers with creative interest to take the plunge on things like kick starter (doesn't apply to any developer outside the US, either)

You cannot attempt to make disingenuous and dismissive claims like that if you are shortsighted enough to want the used game market to be destroyed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What is there to discuss? If you don't understand that it really is a problem when one game is bought and then resold 3, 4, a dozend times, then there is nothing to discuss.

And yet...the thread is hundreds of posts long with people all doing just that. Weird, isn't it?

If they set aside a half hour brainstorm on how to not lose money I'm sure they would come up with something.

But, oh no! Blame the customer.

If gamers weren't drawn to 'blockbuster' games like moths to a flame this bullshit wouldn't have a second leg to stand on.

big_z

They can require us to have an internet connection to play games. Even though that'd probably do more damage than eliminating used sales, I can see it happening. Didn't Blizzard do something like this with SC2 and Ubisoft with a couple of their games?

Unlike pc gaming there's still millions of people using consoles that never go online. Would be very damaging to console sales so I doubt that will happen. They could do a call in activation code to make sure the cd key was never used for offline gamers but that seems unlikely.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You're naive if you think this will help them. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be begging them to stop. There are any number of industries whose history you could look at and see that trying to exploit your customers, instead of serving them, is a great way to go bankrupt.
Ehm.. Except Microsoft and Activision, basically all publishers made loss recently. How much worse can it get?

The used game business is a side effect of an overpriced, but highly desirable, thriving industry. They think they're trying to cut out a cancer, but they're really cutting off a leg and will soon be bleeding profusely.
Overpriced? What are you talking about? Game prices haven't changed for years now. I even remember paying more for FFIX back on the PS than I do today. Why do you think our hobby is overpriced? It just blows my mind.

Game companies aren't your friend.
Uhh... I smell conspiracy. lol
You know what non-essential mean? I means people don't really need it. In a time where people have so many opportunities to invest their time in, game companies will beware to fukk with their customers - or they'll just dump them. And EA, Activision and who ever... they all know this.

DTKT

If one individual buys a game used, there is no guarantee that he will buy the game new. I doubt it's a one to one conversion.

So, even if you remove the used game market, there is no guarantee that you will significantly bump up your sales.

M-PG71C

If EA, Activision, and others want to be bought out by some Korean/Chinese company in ten years, they'll continue doing the same stupid shit today. All of the following:

1) Development costs continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.
2) Marketing costs continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.
3) Labor costs continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.
4) Media costs (IE: Actors, licenses, music, etc) continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.

It's a very destructive cycle, if next-generation costs are not contained, we are going to be looking at a very "bare" industry when its all said and done.

rCIZZLE

Unlike pc gaming there's still millions of people using consoles that never go online. Would be very damaging to console sales so I doubt that will happen. They could do a call in activation code to make sure the cd key was never used for offline gamers but that seems unlikely.

I know, I was just sharing a solution to the "what if they never go online" problem from their perspective. It'll be interesting to see exactly how they plan to enforce this and what happens when piracy inevitably spikes if they succeed.

DaMan121

Why do u guys keep comparing to used car sales? They are nothing alike. A used car a degraded piece of actual equipment. A game is software that doesn't degrade like that. Plus they make all their money off the financing mostly.

A game does degrade. It is usually surpassed by a comptetitor's game in the same genre, or a sequel months later. That i why they have a limited 'window' of sales (with a very few exceptions like some of Nintendo's games) and after that their sales fall off a cliff. A game, as far as the market is concerned, is irrelveant 6 months after release.

Publishers are trying to push this perception that there are thousands of people buying the latest COD game second hand $5 less than a new copy in the same store, when there is absolutely no data supporting this.

Edit: Obviously talking about full retail prices here. Steam are making the window alot bigger with discount prices and deals.

Yagharek

If EA, Activision, and others want to be bought out by some Korean/Chinese company in ten years, they'll continue doing the same stupid shit today. All of the following:

1) Development costs continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.
2) Marketing costs continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.
3) Labor costs continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.
4) Media costs (IE: Actors, licenses, music, etc) continue to rise at a ever-increasing pace.

It's a very destructive cycle, if next-generation costs are not contained, we are going to be looking at a very "bare" industry when its all said and done.

Don't forget asset costs.

5) Increased expectations in visual fidelity and physical simulations will cause a big increase in prices. Modelling the movement and collisions of shoelaces in Fifa 2015 will take a whole team of programmers.

squidyj

They have the option of eliminating used sales right now, don't put games on disc. If it's really enough of a problem to them, why wait? Surely sales would improve if they're right.

If you actually believe this then that's some naive bullshit.

M-PG71C

Don't forget asset costs.

5) Increased expectations in visual fidelity and physical simulations will cause a big increase in prices. Modelling the movement and collisions of shoelaces in Fifa 2015 will take a whole team of programmers.

Exactly, and its coming to the point IMHO that these things really don't matter to the general consumer. We have really reached a point of diminishing returns.

Sure, improvements can be made but at what costs? Epic and Crytech would love to introduce new, pricey, engines and they want super-powerful consoles next generation. They make tons of money off of it. But for everyone else, does it matter ultimately? Is it really worth it?

I think the industry would do well to follow Wii U's lead. Incremental improvements to graphical fidelity, massive improvements on online implementation/POS services.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's fixed now! :p
Ok, now I get it. Well, yes, the chance does exist that after playing it used that someone will buy it new. However, I don't think that's the case very often. Simply because there are too many good games out there - no matter what genre you're playing. I mean, I do play a lot and still I struggle to play all the games I want to.

Fixed for my guess. Edit: n/m its all good now.
Fro my experiance used games buyer are the biggest sellers. You know, buy game, finish it, sell it, buy new game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Big assumption. With increased margins on sale, what's to stop them cutting more features and trying to make more money by selling less content?

Because the aforementioned model worked until the used sales became widespread. It's proving that it works under steam.

This is logic I dont get. I like the butcher we buy from. I pay a little bit more for the quality and advice. But I wouldnt give him extra money for nothing if his business wasn't financially viable. That's just throwing good money after bad.

I'm not giving money because it isn't financially viable, I'm giving money because I want to. Big difference. I see a company collection on sale, I see 3 titles I want... I buy it. If there's a game I like that's really cheap that I bought on 360, I'll buy it to add it to my library so I can play it again way in the future... But it will only benefit the developer short term.

No chance in hell. Any increase in profits will be demanded to be maintained by shareholder pressure. Big developers/publishers will keep on chasing/cloning the next GTA/CoD success story.

You don't really understand. They resort to those NOW because they are the main thing driving profits because long term, other titles can't succeed JUST because of the used sales. Just because a title isn't a runaway success doesn't mean it's not profitable under a model without used games. Its turnover rate would be lower... Companies need to rely on the mild successes because blockbuster titles are not always a for sure thing. It's the missing portion of this generation. If you can't see that, then.. Sorry.

You cannot attempt to make disingenuous and dismissive claims like that if you are shortsighted enough to want the used game market to be destroyed.

Shortsighted? There was nothing shortsighted with the facts I gave you. They are facts, not opinions.

linkboy

TheExorzist, what you're not getting is that Used games aren't the sole reason why everyone is on this mess, its only one part of the equation.

Nuking the used game market isn't going to suddenly make every developer who's losing money start making money, honestly, nothing will probably change at all.

If companies really want to fix this mess that THEY GOT THEMSELVES INTO, they need to look at themselves, instead of doing this

Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif

300px-Fingers_in_ears.jpg

and ignoring everything that's going on around them.

The fact that not one company has looked inward tells you something. Its the exact same attitude that people who are spoiled have. I can't do anything wrong, everyone else is the problem. Its used games, or piracy, or mobile games as to why my product isn't selling like it should be. Its the consumers fault for not buying my product. That's the type of speak we hear from companies.

It's the exact same way a child views the world until they're told otherwise.

One surefire way to stop the bleeding is to reign in your budgets. Don't spend $15 million to make a game and another $10 million to advertise it. Budget according, and they'll do a lot better, but that's something we all have to do.

I guarantee you that we'll be having a similar conservation next gen when game companies are throwing out their next scapegoat to try to explain why they're still losing money.

Also, if I can't trade in games I don't play next gen, I'm going to be buying less and less games. Guess what, that means a company won't be getting the following in dollars from me,

The new game purchase
Any future DLC
Any future expansions

I'm not saying used games aren't a problem (they are), but to lay 100% of the blame for all of the industries's problems on that fact is asinine and so shortsighted its insane.

I don't know how many time I have to say it, but I will never own a console that does this. If I can't OWN the item then I won't buy it for more then 5$. So effectively I'll be limited to iPhone and steam.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, differing opinions are odd that way.
No, what is weird to me is that you admit to see that many, many people insist on their right to resell games (therefore I assume they do this quite often), yet you have no understanding for game companies complaining about this.

If you were head of a game publisher and would invest money into making games, wouldn't it bother you that many people consume these and don't pay you for it and therefore you don't get back your investment?

squidyj

Exactly, and its coming to the point IMHO that these things really don't matter to the general consumer. We have really reached a point of diminishing returns.

Sure, improvements can be made but at what costs? Epic and Crytech would love to introduce new, pricey, engines and they want super-powerful consoles next generation. They make tons of money off of it. But for everyone else, does it matter ultimately? Is it really worth it?

I think the industry would do well to follow Wii U's lead. Incremental improvements to graphical fidelity, massive improvements on online implementation/POS services.

No we haven't, and everything everyone says about the cost of next gen is patented grade A bullshit.

But hey, this is neoGAF dude. Low power consoles are good because they are a supposed benefit to the economic health of the industry, meanwhile dealing with the used game industry cannibalizing the tail on new game sales is evil and fuck the industry.

Trading games between friends isn't a problem but the practices of a company like Gamestop is and the amount of money that retailers are able to make off of used games, money that in other lifetimes would have yknow, gone to the devs, kind of speaks to that point. If you think these retailers are not cannibalizing new sales in order to push used at massive profits for themselves then you're kidding yourself.

I guarantee you that we'll be having a similar conservation next gen when game companies are throwing out their next scapegoat to try to explain why they're still losing money.

Guarantee it how, exactly? Cmon, put your money where your mouth is.

Brofist

Fro my experiance used games buyer are the biggest sellers. You know, buy game, finish it, sell it, buy new game.

So even you admit that the used game industry has some benefit, as people are willing to buy more new games if they can sell their old.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't know how many time I have to say it, but I will never own a console that does this. If I can't OWN the item then I won't buy it for more then 5$. So effectively I'll be limited to iPhone and steam.

So you will be limited to the two things that do exactly what you are against? LOL

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If you were head of a game publisher and would invest money into making games, wouldn't it bother you that many people consume these and don't pay you for it and therefore you don't get back your investment?

Welcome to the world.

Ponn

Banned
Because the aforementioned model worked until the used sales became widespread. It's proving that it works under steam.

I'm intrigued. What are the numbers of say Assassins Creed Revelations on Steam or lets say PC all together compared to console sales?

Yagharek

I'm not giving money because it isn't financially viable, I'm giving money because I want to. Big difference. I see a company collection on sale, I see 3 titles I want... I buy it. If there's a game I like that's really cheap that I bought on 360, I'll buy it to add it to my library so I can play it again way in the future... But it will only benefit the developer short term.

You don't really understand. They resort to those NOW because they are the main thing driving profits because long term, other titles can't succeed JUST because of the used sales. Just because a title isn't a runaway success doesn't mean it's not profitable under a model without used games. Its turnover rate would be lower... Companies need to rely on the mild successes because blockbuster titles are not always a for sure thing. It's the missing portion of this generation. If you can't see that, then.. Sorry.

Shortsighted? There was nothing shortsighted with the facts I gave you. They are facts, not opinions.

1. Used sales have been widespread as long as I've been playing games (mid 80s). And if it wasnt used games, it was piracy that was prolific (see problems that harmed Amiga sw sales). At least used games support the new game market.

2. But you said yourself you dont play many of those games? That's just silly.

3. I understand perfectly. Any chance any company, not just in gaming, gets to increase their margins - that's what they do. They dont pass on savings to customers out of the goodness of their heart - they dont sacrifice more money in order to fund price drops and the same margin they were on beforehand. Examples of industry where this happens: banking, customer service in telecommunications, infrastructure/utilities. Gaming is no different: cut costs, raise or maintain price of service.

4. They aren't facts. You're shortsighted if you want to spite the used game market. It's always been around, it will always be around. It's a customer right to buy and resell what they want.

I wont touch any game with online passes. I learnt my lesson with batman and uncharted 3, although at least I recouped all my money on uc3. Any console that restricts used sales won't be bought by me either.

Bleepey

Uh. DICE never said they weren't players. Readers and customers are not the same thing and you are twisting context. What he said is 100% correct. If you buy a used game, they don't see a single penny that you paid for it.

And you are comparing books, which are usually written by 1 person and edited by possibly a couple others... To games that are created by hundreds of people. (excluding the publishing wing)

Books have a very, very long shelf life. Video games do not. Even books are moving towards ebooks in a very, very big way because of how quickly costs are catching up them. Video Games are centered around generations... And a lot of people only play them once.

And to the people talking about current console DD- used sales still fuck with prices unless it's DD only (XBLA)

If you disconnect used sales from the current equation, developers and publishers will become healthy and will allow for a lot greater price fluctuation.

There is definitely huge benefits for the consumer if used game sales were to go away... But it does come with its negatives too.

Love steam and I have purchased far more $60 games on the service than I have purchased prior to steam being around. But that is not the point- I have bought a ton of games on Steam for the sole purpose of doing my part to help developers out. I have like 100 games on my backlog and a bunch of them I won't even play.

I will be so happy when used games go away so that I finally have an opportunity to have new experiences... Wave of originality will come because the risks are nullified.

Right now if you compare movies and games... Film industry has blockbuster movies, B movies, niche titles, TV movies, TV shows, etc

Right now our very own game industry B movies, TV movies, niche titles are almost 80-90% gone. Now it's either really big (a way to ensure profit) or really small (DD titles, costs manageable, easy to recoup lost costs in event of failure)

Maybe you guys are young, or something. But I remember the days when a title like Grim Fandango or Kings Quest were the most ambitious titles in the industry. Nobody can afford to take risks like that these days and it's pretty sad that people would rather cling to the minute monetization of their relatively inexpensive assets and force what few developers with creative interest to take the plunge on things like kick starter (doesn't apply to any developer outside the US, either)

Personally I would rather let the used industry die as I have no emotional attachment to people who partake in a very crude rental system. The people that gave me experiences from ages 6 onwards? They are my heroes. They deserve the money over some reseller.

They are the reason everyone of us are posting here.

I'm sorry what. I need to post this

And people using this as a defense ASSUME this as well. No evidence that those characters would never exist just like Javik from ME3. In fact early designs and planning on both cases point the other way. Hell Cody and Guy were in that Poison reveal trailer way back at SDCC.

The mental gymnastics people play to justify their favorite companies is getting ridiculous. Look, you want to buy the DLC, go ahead but the defenses used for this are weak thats why this argument is ongoing and never ending. And people are going to continue to bitch and call companies out on this as consumers fighting for what rights we have left. I mean FFS at this point

1) we don't own that actual disc we bought
2) we don't really own the console we bought
3) we shouldn't rent or trade in or buy used those games we don't really own
4) on top of xbox live you pay for an online pass, either by getting said game new or paying $10 because they can shut those online servers down at anytime
5) you don't get to play everything on that disc you bought
6) anything else they forgot to limit or take away from us they can just by inserting words in the EULA agreement
7) If you bring up or try to question any of this you are a whiny entitled prick

Look at the EA online pass shutting down servers thread. Here is a hint GAME COMPANIES ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. They don't require your defense, they are not your buddies, they are not going to come to the hospital when you are sick and they are not going to reward you for your patronage and fighting for them. Their "community managers" are not there out of the kindness of their hearts and by the grace of the company. Ono does not have a twitter account out of pure love for you and the fans. They may have some fun doing it but IT IS THEIR JOB!

They want your money, they are a business, and they want your money. End of story, no bromance or hidden agenda. PR people are there saying whatever they need to say to diffuse a situation. This is the biggest problem with gaming communities so close to gaming companies and I think it the only industry out there capable of it, maybe to an extent the music industry. They use it to gauge what the hell they can get away with and this generation they have found they can pretty much get away with most anything. I'm honest to goodness terrified of what next gen is going to end up being.

And this doucebag has the audacity to call the gamers who unlocked these on-disc characters "ballsy" Look at your damn selves Capcom.

rCIZZLE

I would hope the head of a game publisher could understand that some people buy games because of the safety net the used market provides. There have been plenty of games that I bought thinking I'll beat and trade it in only to keep it forever. Even if people who buy and then sell used games 100% of the time exist, there's no guarantee someone will buy those used copies making it a lost sale. Like I said before, a gamestop store will show you that some games they purchase just end up collecting dust.

Top Bottom