• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Baleoce

So Black Friday coming up. I'm in the market for a 4k TV around £400 and around 50". But the two TV's I've found so far through a bit of research that fit that criteria (Vizio M50-E1 and TCL 49S405) seem to be US only brands. I'm from the UK. What should I be looking out for when the time comes?

Tater

Almost guaranteed to go on sale on black friday.

It isn't in any of the BF ads I've seen so far. I jumped in at $1799 for the 55" C7.

The biggest win (to me) is that if you purchase from Best Buy right now, it's eligible for the holiday return window - so you have until January 14 or so to decide if you like it.

mohuerta

It isn't in any of the BF ads I've seen so far. I jumped in at $1799 for the 55" C7.

The biggest win (to me) is that if you purchase from Best Buy right now, it's eligible for the holiday return window - so you have until January 14 or so to decide if you like it.

Yeah, I bought mine when it went down to $1999. Then it went down to $1799 a couple weeks after I received it. Called Best Buy and requested price match, they complied and refunded me $216. They'll do this if the price changes during your return window, with the exception if you buy the TV during thanksgiving week. Keep that in mind.

^The thing about buying it at Best Buy is that they add a $130 tax on it, while I looked around online and almost all of the sites dont have tax and have free shipping.
Why is that? Is the tax unavoidable if you buy from BB?

kunonabi

Been looking at the bf ads and it looks im not missing out much buying my new tv a couple weeks ago. I might bite on 4k blu ray though since the deals seem pretty good. Have soundbars gotten any better?

J-Rzez

I have a 65B7A ordered but I'm terrified of the burn in thread on AVS forum. Please tell me OLED GAF is enjoying their LG OLEDs just fine

I had a 65EF9500, no issues with having a PC hooked up to it, the wife watching poor watermarked channels, etc. My 65 A1E is used even more with zero issues. Just don't do dumb things and you'll be find.

Installed CoD WW2 (PC).

Cool, it has HDR output!

It's greyed out and locked.

I hate HDR PC gaming.

This

This is the one major downfall to PC gaming. I need two types of displays to enjoy it. For eye candy I have my A1E, but bad input lag. Then i have a high refresh monitor for competitive. But man is the IQ shit.

Computer monitors are a joke for their prices. They delayed all those "HDR monitors" until next year. Hopefully It's so they can have panels in them without lightbleed/halo, without shit contrast (I know some will be FALD, and theyll still be shit), crap IPS glow, and lower than the absurd prices they're projecting.

OLED monitors need to happen, and fast. Just Not at Dell absurd prices.

Is this tv worth the price? If not what would be a better option at 65"??? Thanks.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-M-...181496427_0&wl14=vizio m series 65 4k&veh=sem
You're going to be hard pressed to find a better deal on a 65" tv of similar quality. My main gripe is the smart casting system. I wish it had a different OS with built in apps. The 65" Sony x900e is going to be on sale for $1500 on black friday at bestbuy. Yes it's 500 more but that tv is really good for that price and not being oled. The 65" sony x850e is selling for that prive right now and is not as good.I wish bestbuy would drop the m65 100 to 200 more dollars in price. That would be the tv of black friday imo. But if you want a better OS the Samsung MU8000 will be 1300 or get the x900e.

ABeezy1388

So googling “LG B7” and clicking the shopping tag shows this 65” for insane cheap prices with free shipping compared to the normal current price tag of $2,600. Are these sites most likely scams? I wouldn’t think the google shopping tab would pull offers from shady wesbites...

Norse

Thanks guys, I think I'll bite. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a dud.

Great choice for the money. You'll love it. If you need settings info, just hit rtings.com and in their review they'll have a settings tab you can click with settings.

The 605 is $600 at best buy.. Much worth the extra $100 over the MU6300

I literally just bought it. Been wrestling back and forth for a bit but I think this is the best value im gonna get for a TV for a while. I dropped 800 on my Toshiba 37 inch back in 08 and its lasted me until now. I hope this TV can last me just as long and I can reap the benefits of another 9 years of technological advancement when I decide to replace this one.

Bustanen

So googling “LG B7” and clicking the shopping tag shows this 65” for insane cheap prices with free shipping compared to the normal current price tag of $2,600. Are these sites most likely scams? I wouldn’t think the google shopping tab would pull offers from shady wesbites...
How crazy, under $2000? If it sounds too good.. yeah

If you read a lot of the reviews they share stories about being scammed.

I'd avoid non legit sites, especially with a high end TV.

If it's too good to be true, it is. Prices are pretty standard across the board on this stuff.

A.Romero

You're going to be hard pressed to find a better deal on a 65" tv of similar quality. My main gripe is the smart casting system. I wish it had a different OS with built in apps. The 65" Sony x900e is going to be on sale for $1500 on black friday at bestbuy. Yes it's 500 more but that tv is really good for that price and not being oled. The 65" sony x850e is selling for that prive right now and is not as good.I wish bestbuy would drop the m65 100 to 200 more dollars in price. That would be the tv of black friday imo. But if you want a better OS the Samsung MU8000 will be 1300 or get the x900e.

I just want to make a note about the MU8000: The MU8000 is not the successor for the KS8000, as it lacks the Quantum Dot technology. Differences are visible.

If possible I'd advice to get a KS model from last year or go for this year's Q series (if budget allows).

I almost got an MU but was lucky enough to read about the differences before pulling the trigger. Managed to get a KS9000 from Amazon (Mexico).

J-Rzez

Hmm, yeah the black Friday deals on the Sony 900E at Best Buy are really good. That's a great tv for the money as is, let alone those prices then.

Nothing on special OLED pricing yet. But as usual, those are king.

Basic recommendations still stand:
Top: Oleds
Mid: Sony 900E
Entry: TCL P6079

ABeezy1388

Hmm, yeah the black Friday deals on the Sony 900E at Best Buy are really good. That's a great tv for the money as is, let alone those prices then.

Nothing on special OLED pricing yet. But as usual, those are king.

Basic recommendations still stand:
Top: Oleds
Mid: Sony 900E
Entry: TCL P6079

There’s a deal for the B7 65” right now on slick deals. I really wish amazon would match these small Mom and pop sites. I was hoping the major retailers would put the OLED’s on sale. I wanted to use my 800$ in amazon money I have on one :(

JG5253

There’s a deal for the B7 65” right now on slick deals. I really wish amazon would match these small Mom and pop sites. I was hoping the major retailers would put the OLED’s on sale. I wanted to use my 800$ in amazon money I have on one :(
Newegg has the B7 on sale for $1400. I'm tempted

Baleoce

i want to cheap tv for my x

I've been looking at this LG http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7005235 any good ?

I looked it up the other day as it's one of the sets I was looking at. RGBW panel is supposedly pretty bad. Image retention is also not very good on it. And the smart hub plays ads to you. Image flicker is bad too. I ended up settling on the Sony X720E for £100 more. (I was looking at the 49" variants though).

Give this site a looksie: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best

thatJohann

Just caved in and purchased the LG OLED55B7A for $1,500 on Amazon. Did I make a good decision? Is the tv worth it? Tell me so GAF so I don’t change my mind.

thatJohann

B7A's all come with the dim firmware out of the box, that model just released in August. The reason it's dim is because most games are apparently being authored to 4000 - 6000+ nits, which they're having to cram down into the ~750 nit capability. LG's tone mapping favors preserving bright details rather than the white crush most other displays are doing. Hopefully they include an option so the user can choose.

Should I update the firmware of my LG B7A when I get it next week? Or should I avoid any updates. So confused.

Should I update the firmware of my LG B7A when I get it next week? Or should I avoid any updates. So confused.

Same question, but with the C7. I've disabled autoupdates, but every time I turn it on I get prompted. At some point I someone (aka my girlfriend) is going to hit "yes".

thatJohann

Same question, but with the C7. I've disabled autoupdates, but every time I turn it on I get prompted. At some point I someone (aka my girlfriend) is going to hit "yes".

I think I will update once I get it delivered. I read the latest update adds a Technicolor calibration profile and also Dolby Atmos thru tv speakers. Seems like all around good improvements. Don’t see a reason why not to. Right?

llien

What are the reasons to avoid updates on 2017 series LGs?

Just caved in and purchased the LG OLED55B7A for $1,500 on Amazon. Did I make a good decision? Is the tv worth it? Tell me so GAF so I don't change my mind.

To my knowledge all LG OLED 2017 TVs use the same panels.
I'm blown away by HDR content on my W7.
The only downside I could imagine is your panel has flaws. (mine does :()

I think I will update once I get it delivered. I read the latest update adds a Technicolor calibration profile and also Dolby Atmos thru tv speakers. Seems like all around good improvements. Don’t see a reason why not to. Right?

Just wanting to make sure that it doesn't do anything to negatively affect game modes.

Anyone know if this TV will be decent for the X1X?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-tizen-smart-tv-un55mu6490fxzc/11474514.aspx?

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on a TV at the moment, but would like an upgrade over my existing TV which is getting a bit old. This TV will be dropping in price for Black Friday.

I'm going to veto it simply because it's curved.

I had a curved tv for 3 months. In the end I hated it. It was a fad that, luckily, didn't take off.

tkalamba

I'm going to veto it simply because it's curved.

I had a curved tv for 3 months. In the end I hated it. It was a fad that, luckily, didn't take off.

Cool, I was a bit concerned about the curve as I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. There's the MU6290 which I think is the same as the MU6300 which will be another $50 cheaper which I'll probably consider instead. It seems to have HDR10 capabilities so it seems to be a good entry level TV for what I'm looking for.

ABeezy1388

I need to purchase a new tv for my home I'll be moving into in January. Got about 800$ odd + in amazon credit. Is it worth getting one of these right now while they are $2300? I don't think my credit card has PP and really want to use my amazon credit so not sure if there will be a better deal now until January? It’s either this or the 65” Sony X900E for $1500.

Hmmmmmmm. Pay about 1600 out of pocket or 1000. Decisions.

hollams

Gold Member
This issue just appeared on my LG OLED C6 that I've had for about 8 months.

About 6 inches right from center there is a single white vertical line, a pixel in width, that goes down the whole screen. If the background is a light color then it can be seen, but if the background is dark then it's not noticeable.

This happens on every input and source even on the TV apps so it' s not an HDMI issue. The line appears to be fainter every day but that is probably my eyes deceiving me.

Costco had an 82 inch tv on display. It completely dwarfed the 65 inch models. I can't wait until they make OLEDs that big.

For under $5k.

The image quality was garbage.

Top Bottom