• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny viral marketing campaign/teaser sites begin

Better image:

Now that I look at it, the black marks/gouges on the ship could likely be black spaces in the image. Does anybody see a correlation?

There are circular patterns etched on the Traveller, same with the distorted left image. Not sure if they're related, but it did refer to uv mapping didn't it?

RoKKeR

I'm assuming the Traveller is an enemy ship? Or something? I've read nothing about the story of this game unfortunately.

It's the giant orb you see in the images on the last page that mysteriously appears above the 'Last City', which is Earth's aptly named large city. It's an alien ship and (I believe) is a threat to mankind.

I would guess, given the name of the page is that. And in our universe it's a star what we are decoding is a message from that star. With each user acting as a node, decoding the message.

Hato-kun

"Idea for the geomask audio, why don't we take EACH image and overlay the audio ontop of eachother? Maybe invert and cancel out some audio? Could make a message."

This could work? I reversed and stretched the first bit of audio and it sounded like broken speech, but it was way too distorted.

It's the giant orb you see in the images on the last page that mysteriously appears above the 'Last City', which is Earth's aptly named large city. It's an alien ship and (I believe) is a threat to mankind.

Okay, so the Traveller most likely came from Alpha Lupi. Cool.

Looks like the image updates every thirty seconds. I've changed the downloader to reflect that.

If nothing else, in seven days, I'll have a hell of a blurry, cool thing to look at.

The contract got released in May of 2012....

that particulay contract was written while bungie was still working on reach. Things have changed, i'm sure.

And that particular statement sounds more like a caveat added if they didn't have the resources to produce for the ps3, since they had just recently left ms.

The last 4.5 minutes
V07unwn.gif

Close but a little off. Details behind spoiler tag

Regarding the storyline, the document says "Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man's Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it's here for, but only that it's our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young 'knights' tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and - eventually - overcoming it."

The last 4.5 minutes
V07unwn.gif

could that be a 2D image of the Traveler sphere?

I take it back. I'm an idiot. It updates every five minutes.

I'm guessing it resets every five minutes.

Something like:
the first 1,000 visitors get images from the same set
visitors 1,001-2,000 get images from a different set

So we need to bump up the traffic within a five minute window to get new images.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just realized I had my Dead Orbit shirt on while all of this is happening. Pretty funny

I'm guessing it resets every five minutes.

Something like:
the first 1,000 visitors get images from the same set
visitors 1,001-2,000 get images from a different set

So we need to bump up the traffic within a five minute window to get new images.

No, it changes every five minutes. I'm compiling all of the images. It's the same image for everyone at any given moment.

StargazerXL

I think I know what Bungie (or their PR company) has done (or are trying to simulate). The terminology being used in this teaser is very similar to that used in radio interferometery, a technique where signals from individual radio telescopes are combined electronically to produce highly detailed images on the sky.

Collections of such telescopes are called "arrays" (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). A given telescope is sometimes called an "element." Pairs of telescopes in an array are "baselines." In a radio interferometer, signals from each pair of telescopes are interfered and the resulting product, a "visibility," is measured. A given pair of telescopes produces a measurement in spatial frequency space, the "uv-plane." The ensemble of visibilities are Fourier transformed into an image.

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the left.

7he Talon

I think I know what Bungie (or their PR company) has done (or are trying to simulate). The terminology being used in this teaser is very similar to that used in radio interferometery, a technique where signals from individual radio telescopes are combined electronically to produce highly detailed images on the sky.

Collections of such telescopes are called "arrays" (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). A given telescope is sometimes called an "element." Pairs of telescopes in an array are "baselines." In a radio interferometer, signals from each pair of telescopes are interfered and the resulting product, a "visibility," is measured. A given pair of telescopes produces a measurement in spatial frequency space, the "uv-plane." The ensemble of visibilities are Fourier transformed into an image.

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" from which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the right.
I think you may be right.

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" from which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the right.

Brilliant

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the right.

Best theory so far I think. And it seems to fit given the instructions.

Top Bottom