• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve starts Team Fortress 2 ARG - [Teaser Comic Unlocked]

Santar

Though I do really like the characters and the lore Valve seems to have crafted around the game I've never really played Team Fortress 2 much.
But if this update includes a horde mode of some sort I'd install it in a jiffy.

Piers

Though I do really like the characters and the lore Valve seems to have crafted around the game I've never really played Team Fortress 2 much.
But if this update includes a horde mode of some sort I'd install it in a jiffy.

Suspecting it'll be horde mode too - and if the map in the secret room is anything to go by, it could be that Team Grey will sabotage a game mid-match, and the three locations are the maps in which they'll target. Red & Blue team will have to deal with the bots whilst focusing on their objective at the same time. (My guess anyway)

Jamie OD

I like the theory popping up now about how the "Gray team" have always existed. They could have been the Spectators that watch the battles between RED and BLU all along.

Chinner

Banned
oh yeah totally. they should include a perk system as well as killstreaks.

3 kills get a sentry, 5 gets a demostrike and 7 gets a uber (without medic)

oh yeah totally. they should include a perk system as well as killstreaks.

3 kills get a sentry, 5 gets a demostrike and 7 gets a uber (without medic)

I think vehicles could fit in the universe perfectly...the engineers would have more stuff to do (rebuilding destroyed environments or fixing vehicles), the spies could sabotage vehicles etc...I don't play CoD and never liked kill-streaks to be honest.

But destruction and vehicles would fit in big time. Team Fortress 3 will happen at some point in the future and I hope those things are included in it.

DX11, destructible environments, bigger maps and inclusion of vehicles. It would be incredible!

guess we will have to wait for Source 2.0

I think vehicles could fit in the universe perfectly...the engineers would have more stuff to do (rebuilding destroyed environments or fixing vehicles), the spies could sabotage vehicles etc...

Christ, I don't want any of that shit in a Team Fortress game.
It's fundamentally different to what the game is about, and if thats the sort of thing you're after there's already a bunch of games that do exactly that and also play fundamentally differently to TF2.

Christ, I don't want any of that shit in a Team Fortress game.
It's fundamentally different to what the game is about, and if thats the sort of thing you're after there's already a bunch of games that do exactly that and also play fundamentally differently to TF2.

yea but if Valve did, it would be fucking amazing!! Try to imagine it in your mind.

Rapstah

This has to just have been an ARG started this past December that they just decided to retcon the previous unbound hints to, right? Actually having this prepared since 2009 would be nuts.

try to imagine how those features fundamentally break all the design principles of tf2.

well that's what a sequel is all about, coming up with new ideas.....I am not talking about a mod for TF2.

Anyway I am excited about this robot update, I might reinstall the game after I am done with these calculus exams. Sorry about the derail.

Why would you want the best map in the game to burn down? :(

dustbowl was garbage that people only played because there was nothing else to play at launch, gravelpit got old, well was visually boring, and nobody understood 5cp yet so they didn't play granary

DX11, destructible environments, bigger maps and inclusion of vehicles. It would be incredible!

Taking in how Team Fortress plays, I don't know how you can just say vehicles and bigger maps are an improvement to the series. In fact it sounds pretty awful.

Prophane33

The lore that seems to be built up around this game made me very reticent to try it; however, once I did I still couldn't see what the big deal was. It's a "zany" attempt at the class/role based FPS, personally I've found Counter Strike: Source to be a heck of a lot more interesting, though I understand not all shooters have to be serious business. It's just that some of the more bizarre game types are poorly explained, and In the interest of full disclosure, it seems like everyone I ever play against is some sort of expert at the game, which makes it very hard to get into; so that may play a part in my overall aversion to it. I do like that (similar to Counter Strike) a lot of people use voice chat (something missing from games like Battlefield or CoD (PC)), which would add room for strategy and teamwork if the game wasn't so crazy. So, in summation: Seems like it could be an OK game but if you haven't already put a thousand hours into it now is definitely not the time to jump into TF2.

If anyone has any good advice (or a noob-friendly server to suggest) I'm all ears.

That sounds pretty horrible. TF2 is unique because it doesn't have (or need) any of that. Also, it's pretty damn balanced because of it; even the addition of another class would potentially throw that entire balance out of whack. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The lore that seems to be built up around this game made me very reticent to try it; however, once I did I still couldn't see what the big deal was. It's a "zany" attempt at the class/role based FPS, personally I've found Counter Strike: Source to be a heck of a lot more interesting, though I understand not all shooters have to be serious business. It's just that some of the more bizarre game types are poorly explained, and In the interest of full disclosure, it seems like everyone I ever play against is some sort of expert at the game, which makes it very hard to get into; so that may play a part in my overall aversion to it. I do like that (similar to Counter Strike) a lot of people use voice chat (something missing from games like Battlefield or CoD (PC)), which would add room for strategy and teamwork if the game wasn't so crazy. So, in summation: Seems like it could be an OK game but if you haven't already put a thousand hours into it now is definitely not the time to jump into TF2.

If anyone has any good advice (or a noob-friendly server to suggest) I'm all ears.
TF was actually the original class/role based FPS AFAIK, but the zany came into TF2 naturally just from looking at how absurd things like rocket jumping are.

There's a very low barrier to entry with the game, but jumping into it now I can understand that there's a lot of info to be frontloaded especially with all the sidegrade weapon unlocks all over the place muddling up the learning process and obfuscating class roles. If you have any specific questions, head over to the Community thread and people will be glad to help.

Like last time each combination is a byte order. Archimedes is first for example. The people o are great at this are working hard to piece the bytes together and making good progress.

Whatever comes out, they're pretty sure won't be an image like last time

NBtoaster

8JU7J.jpg

Please release soon

The meet the pyro teaser was up on the main page for months before it was released :(

KingKong

Is it just me or does TF2 take a really long time to open and load maps? I just started it up for the first time in months to try the new map

edit: TF2 is pretty great, especially the art style, but I got bored of it very quickly. It just doesnt have that special something like TFC did for me

thefro

This has to just have been an ARG started this past December that they just decided to retcon the previous unbound hints to, right? Actually having this prepared since 2009 would be nuts.

For a normal developer, sure, but this is Valve we're talking about.

Top Bottom