• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Finalizer

Again, folks are getting way too focused on NPD when that just started out as an aside from Mortimer. The real speculative takeaway should probably be on sales - considering we're at the end of January, it's likely MS has some internal sales data on the new hardware, which would lend firmer reasoning to this admittedly flaky story.

Another take is that it could be that MS wanted to get some info out to the public, but lacking any real media for some of these upcoming games (admittedly they could just conjure up some bullshots/CG trailers), they decided to take a more grassroots approach to build up excitement in the hardcore segment and just let the information disseminate to the masses from there.

If ya wanna get really tinfoil-hat theorycrafting, it could be part of some careful attack to discredit CBOAT and other insiders while at the same time replacing him with a controlled source. Hey, I didn't say it was tinfoil-hat tier for nuffin'.
A9FXSbl.gif

harSon

Banned
Some of the leaked stuff I could understand Microsoft not caring such as the Titanfall bundle.

No way in hell would they want to announce a Halo delay or Halo bundle in this manner.

Seriously, it makes absolutely zero sense and I can't understand how someone could legitimately believe it to be the case. Could Microsoft use a narrative change? Absolutely. But you don't accomplish that by posting "controlled" insider rumors on a forum targeting a very specific block of gamers. If Microsoft were trying to change the narrative, they'd do so with an X0 event, invite only press conference, direct feed to the media, a Microsoft Direct, an Xbox gaming day, etc. You know, something with a significantly broader reach. Announcing a Halo 5 delay, and the existence of a Halo 2, 3 and 4 Anniversary game within such a minimal scope does not help Microsoft at all.

His attitude was awesome. Its funny how people tried to down play that as far of his legitimacy. Just cause he wasnt in a no single file line spreading vague information in alphabet soup letters dont me he wasnt legit.

Nags

Banned
Again, folks are getting way too focused on NPD when that just started out as an aside from Mortimer. The real speculative takeaway should probably be on sales - considering we're at the end of January, it's likely MS has some internal sales data on the new hardware, which would lend firmer reasoning to this admittedly flaky story.

Another take is that it could be that MS wanted to get some info out to the public, but lacking any real media for some of these upcoming games (admittedly they could just conjure up some bullshots/CG trailers), they decided to take a more grassroots approach to build up excitement in the hardcore segment and just let the information disseminate to the masses from there.

If ya wanna get really tinfoil-hat theorycrafting, it could be part of some careful attack to discredit CBOAT and other insiders while at the same time replacing him with a controlled source. Hey, I didn't say it was tinfoil-hat tier for nuffin'.
A9FXSbl.gif

I am clad in tinfoil hat armor at this point. Bring it on!

beast786

Seriously, it makes absolutely zero sense and I can't understand how someone could legitimately believe it to be the case. Could Microsoft use a narrative change? Absolutely. But you don't accomplish that by posting "controlled" insider rumors on a forum targeting a very specific block of gamers. If Microsoft were trying to change the narrative, they'd do so with an X0 event, invite only press conference, direct feed to the media, a Microsoft Direct, an Xbox gaming day, etc. You know, something with a significantly broader reach. Announcing a Halo 5 delay, and the existence of a Halo 2, 3 and 4 Anniversary game within such a minimal scope does not help Microsoft at all.

So they would throw this event to show what?

Obviously they are not ready to show stuff. This way they can get the excitement level back without needing to show jack shit. Or tell any specific about any of these games.

Montresor

Mort saying it's not a controlled leak now and the guy might be in trouble. And CBOAT is fine. The plot thickens!

Well if it's not a controlled leak, thank fuck that for once we get a rabid fanboy leaking this kind of information. I love how this guy was like a kid in a candy store leaking every piece of awesome information he could get his hands on, lol.

This guy's career is over though.

Mort saying it's not a controlled leak now and the guy might be in trouble. And CBOAT is fine. The plot thickens!

He said he's playing with fire, which is obvious. MS is probably furious with these leaks. It seems like there is now no reason to believe that this is a controlled leak. And I'm glad that the CBOAT hysteria has cleared up.

Skeff

If it's not controlled he'll be in plenty of trouble unfortunately, too much info posted too casually and without any room for interpretation. Hope he's ok though

Toki767

I'm going to guess the guy doesn't work for Microsoft. Or he really is Phil Spencer. Not sure who else could get away with it.

Wow imagine that, mortimer's vague gut feelings weren't correct and Microsoft didn't happily leak a metric fuckton of shit as part of a harebrained viral marketing scheme.

What a day it has been. So many plot twists its like a M. Night movie.

Edit:beaten:(

Ekim post the email Microsoft send you, to make this even more glorious:D

Toki767

If this really turns out to be some fool using incredibly poor judgement, it's gonna be the lynching of the century.

Phil Spencer's personal assistant that got a hold of his private e-mails something along those lines would make this pretty legendary.

Madness

It's pretty crazy, and the curious thing is, our resident 343-GAF'ers haven't even commented at all. Usually they shoot down leaks or rumors pretty quickly. And they've been logged in and browsing but haven't really responded at all. It's like they've gone dark.

I don't know what this would achieve as a controlled leak, because it has completely ruined the hype of games for the next year or two. Like what are they going to do at E3?

None of us predicated Halo 2 Anniversary, we wanted it, but we thought it was Halo 5 this year. Imagine the hype if at E3 you have Halo 2 Anniversary shown, beta access to Halo 5 blah blah. Now what are they going to say, hey guys, guess what Halo 2 Anniversary, something you've known about since January lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Also remember that this is a risk adverse corporation taking a highly risky gamble for minimal payoff.

Then you have all those corporate NDAs such as with Platinum or EA. I could possibly understand this be controlled if all the guy was doing was leaking Microsoft stuff but he was leaking stuff related to third parties. I doubt Platinum is very happy right now if Nagano is true and I'm sure EA is beyond pissed at the moment. Stuff like this affects Microsoft's relationship with third parties and I doubt they would do this to either catch a mole or to bolster impressions leading into NPD.

What would make this guy more easier to catch than cboat?

The stuff this guy know... I can't imagine it being known anymore than several levels below Phil Spencer's rank-and-file.

And CBOAT has been wrong on stuff, so he's not fool-proof on a number of things.

According to people hear everything has been known for awhile except the halo stuff. I mean cboat could have easily made some halo 2 anniversary rumor today and everything would be par the course.

Just because most of it is known to us, based off speculative extrapolation doesn't discredit the depth of his knowledge of some info.

Dates of DLC, when some stuff are penned to launch, tentative launch dates for games, content expected for some of said launches, planned bundles, content in collections... We don't know these stuff, man.

Also remember that this is a risk adverse corporation taking a highly risky gamble for minimal payoff.

Then you have all those corporate NDAs such as with Platinum or EA. I could possibly understand this be controlled if all the guy was doing was leaking Microsoft stuff but he was leaking stuff related to third parties. I doubt Platinum is very happy right now if Nagano is true and I'm sure EA is beyond pissed at the moment. Stuff like this affects Microsoft's relationship with third parties and I doubt they would do this to either catch a mole or to bolster impressions leading into NPD.

Yeah, this is how I've felt all along. This being a controlled leak runs counter to everything I know about how large, rigid corporations and their marketing works.

According to people hear everything has been known for awhile except the halo stuff. I mean cboat could have easily made some halo 2 anniversary rumor today and everything would be par the course.
Vague rumors and speculation are different from specific dates and plans.

xkramz

Wow deff true, bad partnership and I feel it's very disrespectful to allow leaks to such info on third party games and stuff.

If this guy was legit though...damn. So much information, that people can't even believe it. Posting so brashly. Have to respect his bravery.

But if he's right and that's the Xbox lineup for the foreseeable future, Spencer don't care about new IP. It's straight milking out here.

Top Bottom