• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fromsoftware's new project teased (Shadows Die Twice)

Masagiwa

I wonder which of the different projects in development at the studio it will be. A lot of interesting quotes came out from the round table interview Miyazaki gave to different outlets in 2016 (translation probably not 100% accurate)

Kotaku:
Currently, From Software is working on a couple titles that, as Miyazaki said, are “not just dark fantasy and mecha.” (Though it does sound like they are making a title that should please Dark Souls fans.) One of the games they are developing is “a little weird,” Miyazaki said.

“I feel that From Software’s title lineup will need a little more variation… We have dark fantasies like Dark Souls, of course, but I’d also like for us to make more mech games like Armored Core, or Asian style titles like Tenchu or Otogi: Myth of Demons. From Software used have a lot more rather quirky titles. (from a 2014 Famitsu interview quoted in the article)”

Dualshockers:
There are several titles that we are currently working on, and those are not just just dark fantasy or mecha games. Some of those are dark fantasy, some could involve mecha… But one new title that we’ve been working on will probably comply with the expectations of the fans in a straightforward manner.

A last thing is that another title will probably be a little bit weird. When we’ll actually announce that title, probably the fans will react like “oh, what the hell is this game that Miyazaki has created?”

Q: Armored Core?

A: We are working on Armored Core.

From Software has later refuted the Armored Core quote and said that the series will continue and that they haven't admitted that a new AC is in development.

Why these articles are so fascinating to me in this context is because we don't know which of these games the teaser is referring to. This means that if this teaser is the "weird" game that is supposed to make people go "Oh, what the hell is this?" then the game that will comply with fan expectations is not yet teased/announced and vice versa.

Patience mode activated.

Sources:
Dualshockers article
Kotaku article

JP

For me, the first thing I thought was Bloodborne because it does seem to exist in the same space but I don't think that means that it's necessarily a new Bloodborne. I could just be a game that exists in that same space but follows the evolution of the Souls/Bloodborne games so it could be something completely new.

Inevitably though, whatever it is, I will probably be terrible at it because that's the space that I exist in. ��

T8SC

Please be something different and not in any way related to Demon Souls, Dark Souls or Bloodborne. There's not enough space on the Internets to have more topics related to these games.

bbylean

Neo Member
Well, the bone is definitely a thigh bone (femur), and it's way too thick to be human. Closest in terms of size to thickness ratio I'd say it's either a bear or an animal of similar size (a beast if you may).

Also there is zero cartilage and the bone is beyond worn so it being attached to a living thing is out of the question. The contraption itself could be anything but atleast it's not built from human remains. The Bloodborne hype train continues

ktSZ6

duhmetree

Man... this is the longest I've been without a FROM game since I've gotten back into gaming. (2014)

The fact that guy said 12 months is somewhat worrying. Are they targeting a 1Q 2019 release?

The silver lining.. hopefully they update their engine to compliment their masterpieces.

sublimit

Banned
No offense to those asking for "Armored Souls","Tenchu Souls" and all that but i don't think From Software needs to add Souls mechanics to every game they make (especially established series) to make them good or interesting.

Shifty

No offense to those asking for "Armored Souls","Tenchu Souls" and all that but i don't think From Software needs to add Souls mechanics to every game they make (especially established series) to make them good or interesting.

Particularly not when the rest of the game industry has that covered.

Masagiwa

Have you guys read this, and what's your take? Remember to take all of this with a grain of salt since nothing is confirmed by From Software themselves so until then it's only speculation.

Shadows Die Twice Leaks & Rumor

Basically, a couple of "Insiders" saying that "Shadows Die Twice" isn't a Bloodborne sequel and instead it is a spiritual successor to Kuon an old survivor-horror game on the PS2 that From developed.
The game will have a horror focus and take place in the same Heian Period of Japan. The game will also be open world. This sounds incredible if true cause I'm a sucker for horror, especially Japanese stuff.
I am a bit worried though if From would be able to pull of an open world game.

I suggest you read the whole thing.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
Have you guys read this, and what's your take? Remember to take all of this with a grain of salt since nothing is confirmed by From Software themselves so until then it's only speculation.

Basically, a couple of "Insiders" saying that "Shadows Die Twice" isn't a Bloodborne sequel and instead it is spiritual successor to Kuon an old survivor-horror game on the PS2 that From developed.
The game will have a horror focus and take place in the same Heian Period of Japan. The game will also be open world. This sounds incredible if true cause I'm a sucker for horror, especially Japanese stuff.

if true, i'm out. i played Echo Night on my vita and didn't like it. i sorta enjoy japanese horror movies, and this one felt highly like a japanese horror movie but it just didn't click. if they do something similar again then i know this won't catch my attention.

Basically, a couple of "Insiders" saying that "Shadows Die Twice" isn't a Bloodborne sequel and instead it is spiritual successor to Kuon an old survivor-horror game on the PS2 that From developed.

Nice stuff. I doubt it's Bloodborne too because when you think about it, who was a shadow in Bloodborne? I know that gaming marketing gets nonsensical from time to time, but jeez.

Pejo

I'd be ok with this. I'd love to see what else FROM can do. I briefly played Kuon back on the PS2, it felt like ancient japan Resident Evil with worse combat. If this is really a spiritual successor with updated controls, I could see it being pretty awesome. FROM are experts in atmosphere which would be really important here.

DonF

FROMsoft is awesome, but they aren't technical wizards so I would be very hesitant about a open world game from them.

Shifty

We get it already. Get over it, it will be BB2. Go play Sea of Thieves or whatever.
I salivate for a sequel to Bloodborne as long as it hits 60 fps. Bring it. My body and wallet are ready.
Oh dear, one little bump and it's time for 2018 GAF to self-delude over the idea of a Bloodborne game set in japan with kunai and quotes from the Tenchu series all over again.

Bless.

how does a shadow die if there is always light?
15210551892201775.gif

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
if true, i'm out. i played Echo Night on my vita and didn't like it. i sorta enjoy japanese horror movies, and this one felt highly like a japanese horror movie but it just didn't click. if they do something similar again then i know this won't catch my attention.

I got Echo Night and Shadow Tower on PSN. I have my copy of King's Field II too. Awesome ambition, but the controls are very tedious. It goes without saying that any technological advancements helped them tremendously. That and the fact that they got so much attention drawn to their games. Probably more than ever before.

ickythingz

Banned
Sad if this isn't a souls based game. Big let down. Maybe they could announce a B team is continuing souls on the side perhaps........ please

DonF

Haven't most of their games been open world? Am I missing something?
Not open world at all. SoulsBorne games are not GTA. The level design is awesome and it gives some room for the player to explore, but you can't get everywhere and do what you want. There is a path and bifurcations, but generally the design of the games is linear.

Vawn

Banned
FROMsoft is awesome, but they aren't technical wizards so I would be very hesitant about a open world game from them.

I wouldn't want them to either. We have more than enough developers making huge open-world games already. Just give us more carefully crafted inter-connected well designed levels.

Dubloon7

Banned
I got Echo Night and Shadow Tower on PSN. I have my copy of King's Field II too. Awesome ambition, but the controls are very tedious. It goes without saying that any technological advancements helped them tremendously. That and the fact that they got so much attention drawn to their games. Probably more than ever before.
i've played thru echo night as described, and played roughly 5 hours into Shadow Tower (I quit as better games on my PS4 and vita caught my attention than this. Yes, it's a POV dark souls, but too slow to act, tank controls, etc. will just prove to me I will never touch my King's Field disc)

Dubloon7

Banned
Hopefully not, because fuck exclusives.
how so? exclusives are up to the devs, publishers, client. sometime exclusives help a brand, like Uncharted, but can also hurt the brand (Rise of the Tomb Raider). It's not for you to decide as that's the industry talking to itself and not you.

Last edited:

Achelexus

Doubt it will be Bloodborne 2, otherwise it would be exclusive to the PS4 or PS5. Most likely it will be a new IP that's a multiplat.

Sentenza

how so? exclusives are up to the devs, publishers, client. sometime exclusives help a brand, like Uncharted, but can also hurt the brand (Rise of the Tomb Raider). It's not for you to decide as that's the industry talking to itself and not you.
I don't give a shit about the clumsy attempts of rationalise it as something "for the customers".
Exclusives just help brands, not players.
Especially not players who accidentally happen to be on the wrong side of the money hatting.

Dubloon7

Banned
I don't give a shit about the clumsy attempts of rationalise it as something "for the customers".
Exclusives just help brands, not players.
Especially not players who accidentally happen to be on the wrong side of the money hatting.
you need to settle down and think hard over how your shallow mentality plays out to the community.

exclusives help brands, and not players is ridiculous. did you have any issue with nintnedo games being only on nintendo? Sony PS1 and PS2 games only being on PS1 and PS2? xbox's few to nintendo's and sony's many? the customer base benefits from exclusives (as long as you own one of the major brands in today's age). Microsoft shot itself in the foot this gen, but last gen did well over sony until sony caught up.

Vawn

Banned
I have no issue with first-party exclusives. In fact, a large portion of the best games are made from the big three funding huge games to give their platform an edge.

It's when one of them pays big dollars to keep a game that was going to made regardless off of the other platforms that I have an issue.

Obviously, that's their right, but it seems anti-consumer for gamers as a whole where funding new exclusives does not.

Last edited:
I dont think FS will make any exclusive game anymore, they already have a lot of money from dark souls series. They could just invest from their fund to make a whole new independent IP, and most 3rd party developer tend to release game on all platform right now since console and PC architecture mostly almost same right now. Heck even DS remastered also released on Switch, so high chance it is not Bloodborne 2,

Most likely something correlate with japanese culture and horror.

Sentenza

you need to settle down and think hard over how your shallow mentality plays out
No, I don't. And you are literally no one but a corporate apologist to label it as "shallow".

I don't want to know how boring the triple a gaming landscape would look without exclusive titles. Exactly these games are often the innovation drivers – in many directions.
This is laughable at best.
There's literally NOTHING that would make a "Souls game" better by merely restricting it to one unique platform.

This is just fanboys clinging to their desperate turf defense to have ammunitions on their list wars.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
No, I don't. And you are literally no one but a corporate apologist to label it as "shallow".

There's literally NOTHING that would make a "Souls game" better by merely restricting it to one unique platform.

This is just fanboys clinging to their desperate turf defense to have ammunitions on their list wars.
WOW. someone as salty as you proves the total missteps Neogaf and Resetera fail at. good luck, space cowboy. i give my thoughts and prayers to all of your victims, smh

I have no issue with first-party exclusives. In fact, a large portion of the best games are made from the big three funding huge games to give their platform an edge.

It's when one of them pays big dollars to keep a game that was going to made regardless off of the other platforms that I have an issue.

Obviously, that's their right, but it seems anti-consumer for gamers as a whole where funding new exclusives does not.
i really didn't see much flack when street fighter v didn't come out for xbone as oppose to rise of the tomb raider being (temporary) exclusive to xbone and then pc. Really depends on the system plus the game in hand

mtvrchtng

Neophyte

Besides the fact that Sony paid for Demon Souls, a project everyone thought was a failure at From Software. The start of this franchise/type of game was literally an exclusive.

Last edited:

Sentenza

i really didn't see much flack when street fighter v didn't come out for xbone as oppose to rise of the tomb raider being (temporary) exclusive to xbone and then pc. Really depends on the system plus the game in hand
Hilarious double standards, but in reality it's the same garbage.

Top Bottom