• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

DCIK907XgAEk5jU.png

Hmmm... am I feeling brave...?

berzeli

Banned
Hmmm... am I feeling brave...?
This is the description of the boxset from Arrow:
After finishing his film Weekend in 1967, Jean-Luc Godard shifted gears to embark on engaging more directly with the radical political movements of the era, and thus create a new kind of film, or, as he eventually put it: “new ideas distributed in a new way.” This new method in part involved collaborating with the precocious young critic and journalist, Jean-Pierre Gorin. Both as a two-person unit, and as part of the loose collective known as the Groupe Dziga Vertov (named after the early 20th-century Russian filmmaker and theoretician), Godard and Gorin would realize “some political possibilities for the practice of cinema” and craft new frameworks for investigating the relationships between image and sound, spectator and subject, cinema and society.
These films ... make their Blu-ray debut, providing a crucial glimpse of Godard’s radicalization, and of the aesthetic dialogue between him and Gorin that, in essence, served to invent a modern militant cinema. As Godard told an English journalist of the era, film is not a gun — but “a light which helps you check your gun.”
It comes down to your tolerance of Godard being Godard basically.

berzeli

Banned
Thanks for that :)
The Godard / Gorin stuff I've seen was... not for me.
Being older now though has me wondering if I'd take to it differently.
Might go for it!
Yeah I'm sort of in the same boat. But I'm more inclined to just rewatch my Dziga Vertov set and find a French person to yell their political opinions at me at the same time. Feels like a better way to spend time...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Berzeli, I need your expertise on the 4K Phenomena Master... is it worth it when its going to cost 35€ and you already own the Blu-Ray but are a Argento Lover?

Mumei

Ohh hell yes. Thanks.

Also saw that the New Battles without Honor & Humanity box set has come down to $66 on Amazon US (it was like $99.99). Pre-ordering both for sure.

Is the New Battles without Honor & Humanity set worth getting if I haven't seen anything else, or would it be lost on me?

Fjordson

Is the New Battles without Honor & Humanity set worth getting if I haven't seen anything else, or would it be lost on me?
I think it'd be worth it. They aren't tied to the narrative of the first series, even though they share some of the same actors (and the same star with Bunta Sugawara). Even within the trilogy they aren't really connected. If you're in the mood for gritty crime films you can't go wrong with either set.

IronRinn

Seijun Suzuki is a god damn madman. I haven't seen any of those, but Tokyo Drifter and Branded to kill are awesome bits of weirdness.
From what I've read the films in this trilogy are not weird. Like, at all. It almost sounds like he made them as straight as possible because the studio kept giving him shit for being too weird. If anyone knows more please feel free to correct me.

Never seen any of them but I love Suzukil and the descriptions sound interesting so I preordered without hesitation.

berzeli

Banned
From what I've read the films in this trilogy are not weird. Like, at all. It almost sounds like he made them as straight as possible because the studio kept giving him shit for being too weird. If anyone knows more please feel free to correct me.

Never seen any of them but I love Suzukil and the descriptions sound interesting so I preordered without hesitation.

I am a bit curious as to where you've read that they're not weird, they're (supposedly*) still quite weird if less manic.
*haven't seen them so going off reviews, which repeatedly uses terms such as surrealist and absurdist.

And it was Nikkatsu who kicked him out for being weird, these films were not produced there.

Take a gander at the trailers, they definitely have a weird streak in them:
Zigeunerweisen
Kagero-za
Yumeji

omgkitty

Weren't we supposed to get new film announcements from Criterion today?

I couldn't tell you the last time titles were announced on the 15th. I don't know if they've decided on a different day, but they don't even apologize or tweet about it any longer. They just say it's up when it's up. I would assume we'll find out tomorrow.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka is launching a new sub-label and as their no1 shill fan in this thread I feel it is my duty to pass the news on to you
3OZil5a.jpg

Eureka! is set to launch a new world cinema sub-label under the brand name MONTAGE PICTURES, which will focus on delivering ground-breaking and thought-provoking world cinema from new and upcoming directors.
The initial line up will include recent theatrical release Suntan (2016, Argyris Papadimitropoulos, Greece), an unpredictable psychological drama, full of suspense and humour, set on a hedonistic Greek Island; Rescue Under Fire [Zona Hostil] (2017, Adolfo Martínez Pérez, Spain), a directorial debut based on events that happened in 2012 in the north of Bala Murghab in Afghanistan. The film follows the crew of a medical helicopter that suffer an accident when helping a joint force of USA and United Nations troops under Spanish command; Shirley: Visions of Reality (2013, Gustav Deutsch, Austria), a story of a woman, whose thoughts, emotions and contemplations let us observe an era in American history via thirteen of the artist Edward Hopper’s paintings which are brought alive by the film; Kills on Wheels (2016, Attila Till, Hungary) a highly original, darkly comedic and infectious buddy-movie about a wheelchair-bound gang of assassins; and Strangled(2016, Árpád Sopsits, Hungary), a psycho-thriller, based on real-life events, set in the provincial Hungary of the 1960s.

Shirley: Visions of Reality looks insane, as in the aesthetics of it are absolutely incredible. I'm not entirely sold on how it captures the art of Edward Hopper (aka. the guy who did that diner painting you've definitely seen seen) but it looks cool nevertheless.

I hope this does well for them, love the initiative, somehow Kills on Wheels had totally gone past me but looking at the trailer I'm so into this (am also into one of the actors, for reasons).

IronRinn

I am a bit curious as to where you've read that they're not weird, they're (supposedly*) still quite weird if less manic.
*haven't seen them so going off reviews, which repeatedly uses terms such as surrealist and absurdist.

And it was Nikkatsu who kicked him out for being weird, these films were not produced there.

Take a gander at the trailers, they definitely have a weird streak in them:
Zigeunerweisen
Kagero-za
Yumeji
Yeah, I can't seem to find the article I read now. Starting to think I'm going nuts. I'll link it when I find it, though even if I do, I'm beginning to think it might be an outlier having done a little more research.

Fuck yeah, Rebecca! Give me Notorious next.

Also, I was hoping that the Blood Simple Criterion release was going to lead to the release of more Coen titles, but Barton Fink is getting a new release courtesy of Kino. Hopefully they do good by it.

Shiv47

1) Othello (Welles)
2) Astaire-Rogers box
3) Complete Mr Arkadin

Well, that's my sure pick from December announced today. Let's make it 3 for 3, Criterion!

Edit: Regarding the above Network sale, there are indeed some great prices. American buyers should be aware that shipping can jump to ridiculous levels in a hurry, depending on the weight of your order.

omgkitty

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of delays with UK blu-ray titles in the last couple of months. From Arrow alone, The Marx Brothers, The Taisho Trilogy, New Battles Without Honor and Humanity and Eight Hours Don't Make a Day have been pushed back. The Fabulous Baron Munchausen and La Strada have also been pushed back in recent memory. Just a weird thing I wondered if anyone else had taken note of, or knows why this keeps happening.

Fjordson

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of delays with UK blu-ray titles in the last couple of months. From Arrow alone, The Marx Brothers, The Taisho Trilogy, New Battles Without Honor and Humanity and Eight Hours Don't Make a Day have been pushed back. The Fabulous Baron Munchausen and La Strada have also been pushed back in recent memory. Just a weird thing I wondered if anyone else had taken note of, or knows why this keeps happening.
Oh shit. Taisho and New Battles got pushed back? Amazon still lists both as coming out in July.

Probs gonna limit myself to two or three. Think I might go with Stalker and Straw Dogs and then mayyyybe pick up a Kurosawa or something if the mood strikes me.

SeanC

If it weren't for vacations this year I would jump on the sale. The list is ever growing of must-haves for me. If I do, it will be two to three at most, not the splurges I've done in the past. Tampopo and Being There are the two recents I really want most, either One Eyed Jacks, In a Lonely Place or Sansho the Baliff being ones I've been wanting for a bit now. We'll see, I did let my B/N membership expire too so would need to renew first.

Ridley327

Wow, never imagined that. Has a Hughes film ever gone Criterion?

No, but Sixteen Candles is definitely on the way already, so they're wanting to get into the Hughes business.

I wonder if they're trying to put a box together of his more acclaimed films. I certainly can't see them going after Weird Science, especially with the knowledge of how much Hughes didn't like that one, but I could definitely see Criterion wanting their hands on Ferris Bueller's Day Off and especially Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Ridley327

Since it went unnoticed here, there's a phantom listing up on Criterion's website for George Romero, which all but confirms that they were the ones that wound up with the recently restored version of Night of the Living Dead that was undertaken by MoMA last year.

Steamlord

Since it went unnoticed here, there's a phantom listing up on Criterion's website for George Romero, which all but confirms that they were the ones that wound up with the recently restored version of Night of the Living Dead that was undertaken by MoMA last year.

Yesss I've been waiting so long for more news on that

I would also be entirely OK with them releasing Martin.

I want to hug you through the internet right now, really hope this comes to fruition!

omgkitty

If there were any doubts at this point: Film Forum's upcoming repertory schedule highlights screenings for Night of the Living Dead in October (when else?) and lists Janus Films as its distributor.

This will probably mean that it's not a 2017 title, which I'm not too upset about since Criterion can get that free and sweet, sweet 50th anniversary hype for the home release.

You never know, it could be an October release. That seems like a great title for the collection.

Top Bottom