• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

I have the exact same receiver. Just experimented with connecting everything directly to the TV and passing the audio from the TV to the receiver via ARC. Everything if working perfectly. Had to drop down to 5.1 dolby digital but its uch cheaper than buying a new receiver. Had to go into the receivers HDMI settings and enable CEC & ARC manually to make it all connect.

Very interesting, thanks for the info mate : )

Should also consider checking out the Denon X6300H or Anthem MRX 1120 if you are going to eventually move to 7.X.4 both have 11 built in amps so you can do it without the need of an extra external amp. though with the Denon you can amp assign and bi amp your fronts if you aren't using the extra channels.

Yeah I've looked at the Denon too, as they seem to be making some great receivers again at the moment. Plenty of time to make a final decision though, I'm not rushing into buying just yet, will be after Christmas probably when I buy but I really like the look of the Marantz over the others, that is one good looking receiver.

Putty

I think at that price range you should maybe look at the DALI Zensor set or the ELAC debut set. Your budget may not allow for the floorstanders though. I have the ELAC set and they are fantastic, I'd highly recommend them.

I think Q Acoustics have a good set at that price range too.

I've had a number of Q Acoustics speakers down the year and for me they are a fabulous manufacturer.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I've had a number of Q Acoustics speakers down the year and for me they are a fabulous manufacturer.

Yea the 3020 series have been getting great reviews, I was gonna get that set myself but they have no matching Atmos modules.

Hi GAF. I have a few questions.

For those with a Non-HDCP2.2 receivers .. would a device like a HD Fury Linker help at all?

Also, would such a device lend to any lag for 4K gaming?

And finally, would the Epson 5040UB be capable of 4K60 gaming? I ask this as it's not a 'True 4K' projector, rather a 'Faux K' with pixel shift technology ... I'm a little unclear as to whether this lends itself to 60fps gaming .. .any input would be appreciated...

You wouldn't need to get a new receiver if you are keeping your current TV because your receiver can already passthrough 1080p. You would only need a new receiver if you bought a 4K TV and wanted your PS4 to put out lossless audio still. Also keep in mind that only new receivers also passthrough HDR, and those cost a pretty penny.

Yeah, I'll be dealing with this for at least a bit. Heh.

For the moment until I can afford to upgrade I'll just have to be going directly to my 4KTV and use ARC or the optical (they are pretty much the same in format if I remember correctly) since I have that same old receiver still. Not surprising since it's pretty old. Shouldn't be too bad at least for games perhaps since they don't yet use TrueHD/DTSHD MA for them and since the Pro doesn't have a UHD BD drive, though it would have been pretty nice if it also had an extra audio-out HDMI like my Samsung UBD player for getting around my old receiver while still getting audio over HDMI.

I think at that price range you should maybe look at the DALI Zensor set or the ELAC debut set. Your budget may not allow for the floorstanders though. I have the ELAC set and they are fantastic, I'd highly recommend them.

I think Q Acoustics have a good set at that price range too.

Thanks for the advice. With the limited space I have for rear speakers behind the couch it would be hard to fit bookshelf speakers there like the Zensor ones. Especially if the couch blocks some of the sound. The ones I have there at the moment are propped up just above the couch with a floor standing speaker stand but they're kinda small so it fits into the alcove where the couch is.

I need some that would fit onto generic speaker stands for the two rear ones or have a small stand where they are placed on top. The front two wouldn't be a problem though, I can get big floor standing ones for the front. I don't mind spending £700 on a 5.1 set but there's so many I have no idea where to start! The Q Acoustics seem good but which ones are good ?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Thanks for the advice. With the limited space I have for rear speakers behind the couch it would be hard to fit bookshelf speakers there like the Zensor ones. Especially if the couch blocks some of the sound. The ones I have there at the moment are propped up just above the couch with a floor standing speaker stand but they're kinda small so it fits into the alcove where the couch is.

I need some that would fit onto generic speaker stands for the two rear ones or have a small stand where they are placed on top. The front two wouldn't be a problem though, I can get big floor standing ones for the front. I don't mind spending £700 on a 5.1 set but there's so many I have no idea where to start! The Q Acoustics seem good but which ones are good ?

These are the ones you want to be looking at IMO: within your budget, includes floorstanders and the rear speakers should be small enough for you.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah013244

These are the ones you want to be looking at IMO: within your budget, includes floorstanders and the rear speakers should be small enough for you.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah013244

Ok these look perfect for me and seemed to have got great reviews. What speaker stand would you recommend from richer sounds for the two rear ones?

My current stand at the back is the PEERLESS SPK510
http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PEER-SPK510-BLK

but these Q Acoustics I'm getting seem heavier and bigger than my current ones and not sure if my current stand would support them? I don't want the stand to be too tall either about the height of my current one.

Markitron

Ok these look perfect for me and seemed to have got great reviews. What speaker stand would you recommend from richer sounds for the two rear ones?

My current stand at the back is the PEERLESS SPK510
http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PEER-SPK510-BLK

but these Q Acoustics I'm getting seem heavier and bigger than my current ones and not sure if my current stand would support them? I don't want the stand to be too tall either about the height of my current one.

I think Q Acoustics have stands specifically for their speakers, you might want to look into those? There are plenty of loudspeaker stands on Amazon for around £50 that would work, but try the stands you have first, they might be enough.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This
What about something like this....
HDMI splitter

I want split the signal from the PS4 Pro to TV and receiver.

Interesting idea (and a reasonable price)

From the comments for the product someone has indicated that this is going to limit the colour range...

2160p @ 60hz is only 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:0. It will not support 4:4:4. This will not work for the Roku 4 (4400r) to get 2160p @ 60hz 10-bit 4:4:4. It does pass DTS-HD, Atmos, TrueHD (HD Audio formats). It does mimic "spoof" HDCP 2.2 if your AVR is not compliant.

But reading this http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

12 bit color. This refers to the color bit-depth. Old Blu-Ray is 8 bit, new UHD Blu Ray can support 10 bit. It’s not clear what bit depth is being used by the streaming services, but it’s probably 8 bit.

4:4:4. This refers to color sub-sampling. Whilst 4:4:4 is used in content mastering, UHD is distributed via 4:2:0.

It seems that in the use case of a PS4 Pro (HDR Gaming and UDH Streaming with HDR) 8 bit 4:2:0 is probably sufficient?

I have no idea about any of this, life is too short nowadays, but I would be interested if someone ever gets one of these if they can confirm it is a good solution for someone getting a PS4 Pro but wants to pass video straight to the TV and audio straight to the (non HCDP 2.2) receiver.

I think Q Acoustics have stands specifically for their speakers, you might want to look into those? There are plenty of loudspeaker stands on Amazon for around £50 that would work, but try the stands you have first, they might be enough.

The official Q Acoustics stands would be too low to go behind the couch
I need stands that are about 100 centimers in height. So they can go in the corners above the couch height. Something like these
http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/a...YX93hEKiSHkxZvLk4X_ZQdb8BEN1nEmpa4aAnGr8P8HAQ

But the problem with these ones is the top plate that would hold the speakers is a bit smaller than the actual width and depth of the 2010i's. I mean they'd still be able to place on them but how secure would it be?

Guys,

Thanks so much for contributing to this thread. So much useful and helpful info.

I would like to add 3 receiver models to the OP for people hitting the first page.

An entry <£300 model (all the necessary basic features for 4k, HDR, hdcp 2.2)

A Medium model < £600 (all of the above, with an emphasis on gread sound more features)

A high end model £600 + (best sound, best features, more money than god)

suggest and discuss please :)

Audioboxer

BALLS!

When I bought my current receiver to do 4K passthrough I never thought about HDR. Just checked and it doesn't do HDR passthrough :( Sony STR-DH750.

Sony updated my TV to support HDR, but it's probably quite a crappy implementation. KD55X8509C.

I guess I'll have to run the PS4 via optical if I want to try out whatever TV HDR implementation I have.

J-Rzez

Like others stated, Onkyo is a good choice, their 656 is nice, has great zone 2 capabilities.

Also look into Denon 720 and 920 models, they're around the same price. I have their last years model the 910. If you go a lol higher then x-series denon or marantz has a new one for around $900 with Atmos and DTS:X as well.

Audioboxer

So what is the workaround for a receiver that doesn't do HDR?

Keep it plugged into ARC TV HDMI, and take the PS4 out of the receiver and plug it into HMDI 2 on the TV? Then the audio should passthrough the TV to the receiver? Right?

I mean I could use optical but if the above works then it's "simpler".

So what is the workaround for a receiver that doesn't do HDR?

Keep it plugged into ARC TV HDMI, and take the PS4 out of the receiver and plug it into HMDI 2 on the TV? Then the audio should passthrough the TV to the receiver? Right?

I mean I could use optical but if the above works then it's "simpler".
yeah you could do it this way but you wouldn't get lossless audio this way either. Only DD 5.1 or DTS depending on your receiver and tv. For me personally when I try to do this with my current setup I only get stereo through all channels and not even 5.1

Audioboxer

yeah you could do it this way but you wouldn't get lossless audio this way either. Only DD 5.1 or DTS depending on your receiver and tv. For me personally when I try to do this with my current setup I only get stereo through all channels and not even 5.1

Yeah I know I'd miss out on lossless. I'll need to try it. If it doesn't work I'll need to go optical (as in 5.1, I know optical doesn't do lossless either). Buying PS4 Pro and PSVR is my budget, I cannot add another receiver into the mix. I only upgraded to this receiver last year when I bought a 4K TV!

Can anyone with technical knowledge explain how a receiver can be HDMI 2.0 and support full 4K passthrough but HDR can't be done? Is it a different HDMI spec or something?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yeah I know I'd miss out on lossless. I'll need to try it. If it doesn't work I'll need to go optical (as in 5.1, I know optical doesn't do lossless either). Buying PS4 Pro and PSVR is my budget, I cannot add another receiver into the mix. I only upgraded to this receiver last year when I bought a 4K TV!

Can anyone with technical knowledge explain how a receiver can be HDMI 2.0 and support full 4K passthrough but HDR can't be done? Is it a different HDMI spec or something?

HDR is specified in HDMI 2.0a, so essentially, it's a new spec. According to the HDMI-website, it is possible to upgrade an HDMI 2.0 port to the HDMI 2.0a standard through firmware, but it comes down to the manufacturer and the system design whether or not it can and will be done.

I was looking at a new receiver and made sure it supported the 2.0a standard out the box, even only on one port (only got one HDR device to hook up).

Jeseus

The funny think is that old PS4 will support HDR too and it has HDMI version 1.4

My receiver is HDMI 1.4a with 4k support (Yamaha 773).. now the question for one milion dollar... Whats the trick SONY??

pilferk

Neo Member
If the receiver was released this year, then it most likely has HDR passthrough support. I bought a Yamaha RX-V381 for $280.

:)

I just bought the v481, for $350. It was to replace my aging samsung hw-c700b, which was an AWESOME receiver, but was just unable to provide the video handling I need for our new TV (a Sony Bravia X900C which we got on clearance for $700...and no, the slight light leak/uniformity issues from the side lit panel don't bother me, especially at that price!). We are in a dedicated 5.1 environment (I wired the Klipsch 5.1 setup into the house when we built, so not really any opportunity for expansion) so it was a perfect fit. No Atmos or DTS-X, but since we're not in 7.1, it's not much of a loss.

It's handling things like a champ, and is a really good option for a budget/low midrange option! The ARC support is nice, since the TV has netflix built in (and seems to stream good audio from the included apps...crappy from any other HDMI sources). The sound quality is excellent and the video handling seems as good, or better ,than my samsung was.

I'd recommend anyone looking for a new black box to drive audio take a look at any of the Vx81 series. Seem like pretty solid choices, up and down the line, that won't break the bank. And they all offer UHD, HDR10 and hdcp 2.2 handling.

pilferk

Neo Member
LG 55" B6 OLED £3000
Yamaha MusicCast RX-A3060 £2000

:D But my PC would be connected to the same!

Counterpoints...

Midrange:

Sony Bravia XBR-X900C 55" can be had, in many places, for $750-800. There's some light leak/uniformity issues, but this was Sony's flagship ultra thin, ultra hd option last year (and MSRP was around 2500). It's got a TON of bells and whistles (autodimming, etc) for the price, so judge the light leak by how much it bugs you in relation to that.

Yamaha RX-V481 does all the passthrough stuff you would want at between $300 and $400. 4 HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 inputs, ARC and other nice features that go with your wireless network/bluetooth/airplay needs. It's 5.1 only and no Atmos, etc. You can also upgrade to the V581 (7.1 and gives you back some of the stuff you lost) for around $400 to $500, and get back Atmos and DTS-X.

Budget:
LG 50UH550 50" is a solid set. It'll do HDR and 4k really well and has some more basic bells and whistles. For between $500 and $600, it's a nice budget option for HDR.

Onkoyo TX-SR353 for $250 - $300 will do your DHR and 4k passthrough. Again, it's only 5.1, and it's short on some of the bells and whistles, but for a budget receiver, it handles itself REALLY well.

And, this holiday season, I suspect (given what we're seeing for sales, NOW) that we're going to see options available that are even less than the above. It's actually NOT a bad time to start thinking about an upgrade. the 4k stuff is mostly marketing hype, but the HDR and new motion/artifacting algos are not. Good stuff came late in 2015, and it's quickly reaching mass market prices. :)

pilferk

Neo Member
Yes. You will have to buy all of the speakers(2 fronts, 1 center, 2 rears for full 5.1 or even 2 more rears if you go 7.1), unless you get a Home Theater in the Box which in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend because purchasing a separate receiver and buying your own speakers will always sound much better about 99.93% of the time.

Not to mention...your speakers could conceivably last you forever.

We bought our Klipcsh set up back in 2002-ish, to install when our house was built. They still sound like reference speakers. :)

Tuners wear out/age out...speakers can last forever!!

I'm eager to get my new receiver but the speakers I want won't be in stock until October and if I buy the receiver now I'll have no method to test it and the return period will come and go before I even get the chance. So I've gotta wait, but I'm impatient!

By the end of the year I should be fully updated to all the new standards.

pilferk

Neo Member
If a receiver supports "HDR", does that mean that it supports all flavors of it? I keep hearing about HDR10, HDR12, Dolbyvision etc.

Yes. All the receiver is doing is passing the info, not decoding it, and all specs proposed use the same designated HDMI bandwidth on the high speed cables.

So it will be all about the display and what it can handle.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The funny think is that old PS4 will support HDR too and it has HDMI version 1.4

My receiver is HDMI 1.4a with 4k support (Yamaha 773).. now the question for one milion dollar... Whats the trick SONY??

We probably need Jeff Rigby or someone to explain, but I'd imagine the hardware was built when 2.0 was being defined, so they broadly knew what would be required for certain features that were on the drawing board. So now it is just a case of updating the firmware to enable the output of the HDR meta-data over HDMI.

LilJoka

Which speakers would you recommend to go with the Denon ones? I'd have to have the front ones either floor standing or on speaker stands and the two rear ones on speaker stands at the back of the couch. Budget is about £500-600 on speakers

I bought my B&W DM602S2's for £120 off gumtree.
For £600 you could get a pair of floor standers 2nd hand.

Try to buy speakers 2nd hand, much better value for money.

Go to AVforums and have a look, a lot of brands to choose from.

For 5.1 at £600, your options become a bit more limited. I always recommend starting with stereo, then a subwoofer, then the surrounds.
The surrounds are good but not a massive priority.

Something like this is killer though:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bowers-Wilkins-B-W-602-s2-601-s2-cc6-s2-5-0-surround-system-/232074506040?hash=item3608b7ef38:g:IQ0AAOSwi0RXwxgl

wowzors

Anybody have a recommendation on back speakers they really like?

Currently have monitor audio silver 8 floorstanding left and right and a center, using a denon 4520 to power and a svs sb-1000 subwoofer

Buburibon

Anybody have a recommendation on back speakers they really like?

Currently have monitor audio silver 8 floorstanding left and right and a center, using a denon 4520 to power and a svs sb-1000 subwoofer

You should get matching speakers, so silver fx's or silver 2's? I don't know of any other brands that are similarly voiced and would work well (to my standards) with your fronts.

pilferk

Neo Member
You should get matching speakers, so silver fx's or silver 2's? I don't know of any other brands that are similarly voiced and would work well (to my standards) with your fronts.

I echo this, 100%. Matching your fronts and center is imperative. Matching your surrounds is, at the very least, preferable. Especially with really good speakers....the brands (and even sometimes within the brands...different cases/types) actually DO all sound a bit different.

I love my speaker set because they not only do home theater stuff (movies/gaming) very well, but they blast the hell out of 80's and 90's rock...and that's what I listen to. They are pleasing to my ear. But what I like, in terms of sound might not be quite as pleasing to your ear.

With that in mind, I would also encourage people to audition their speakers before buying them. In all this AV stuff, they are the one thing I would never, ever buy without actually HEARING them first. (barring that, buying from someone who has a very liberal return policy when it comes to speakers). Maybe that's a bit audio snobbish, IDK.

YMMV.

Just bought this baby (Denon X4200W)
uKrIbO.png

I should be well off for another 10 years, my current receiver which isn't nearly as good lasted exactly that. Next year I'll buy an HDR tv, just need to decide between OLED or LED.

LOUD915

For people who plug everything into the receiver and then pass through to the TV, how do you deal with the TV latency? TVs take time to process the picture, especially when using dejudder and other features. When the TV is routing the sound, it automatically compensates for this. But if you're plugging into a receiver, that's going to handle the sound separately, resulting in the video lagging behind the sound.

I own a Leo Bodnar tester. On my older Onkyo, setting up the receiver to passthrough does not even add a millisecond of lag.

Putty

Just bought this baby (Denon X4200W)
uKrIbO.png

I should be well off for another 10 years, my current receiver which isn't nearly as good lasted exactly that. Next year I'll buy an HDR tv, just need to decide between OLED or LED.

Nice...I imagine this will be my next purchase...

Lilphish

Neo Member
I just ordered the Onkyo TX-NR646 from Amazon as they had it for $398. I was originally going to buy the TX-NR555 but it was a few hundred dollars more. Hopefully I made a good choice. This will be paired with an Epson 5040UB projector that also has HDR. My only concern is that the TX-NR555 states "The TX-NR555 enables transmission of High Dynamic Range (HDR) formats, with BT.2020 support." The one I purchased doesn't mention anything about BT.2020 so hopefully that won't matter much.

Reaperssj

I just ordered the Onkyo TX-NR646 from Amazon as they had it for $398. I was originally going to buy the TX-NR555 but it was a few hundred dollars more. Hopefully I made a good choice. This will be paired with an Epson 5040UB projector that also has HDR. My only concern is that the TX-NR555 states "The TX-NR555 enables transmission of High Dynamic Range (HDR) formats, with BT.2020 support." The one I purchased doesn't mention anything about BT.2020 so hopefully that won't matter much.

Please tell me how the 646 treats you im currently thinking about getting a KS8000 and the 646 so any info on your experience would be very helpful

Craiji

Just upgraded my STR-DN2010 for a STR-DN1070. Sad to lose all those analog inputs, but so far happy with the sound quality and the possibility of doing multi-zone/room.

Ooooh! Been 'reading around' the 5040UB (TW9300 here in Europe) for the last month and am very close to biting the bullet. How do you find it? Reviews, from the scant few that are out there, are impressive at least.

Recently bought a 1070 for my PC for the prospect of gaming on it. Dunno if 2K@60 gaming be a possibility with such a setup, but even for movie watching it will be a step up from my Benq1070.

Hope you're enjoying your purchase :)

Shit I didn't even consider this when I preordered my PS4 Pro. All my shit runs through my receiver to the TV and my receiver is ancient (2006/2007 probably)

So if I move my PS4 direct to a TV input how should I run the audio back to my receiver? Optical cable? I think I had that before but I wasnt getting true 5.1, maybe I had something configured wrong

jett

D-Member
Today I saw several HDR TVs for the first time.

The only difference I could see was some strange glow on the screen. Is that it?

Shit I didn't even consider this when I preordered my PS4 Pro. All my shit runs through my receiver to the TV and my receiver is ancient (2006/2007 probably)

So if I move my PS4 direct to a TV input how should I run the audio back to my receiver? Optical cable? I think I had that before but I wasnt getting true 5.1, maybe I had something configured wrong

See earlier in the thread (i asked the same questions at the start). Doing this comes with limitations so it might be time to get a new receiver if you can stretch to it.

See earlier in the thread (i asked the same questions at the start). Doing this comes with limitations so it might be time to get a new receiver if you can stretch to it.

I skimmed them, I'm fine with not getting lossless as long as it's still 5.1. Optical out from my Tv should still manage that?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I know there is some criticism that optical is a dying technology (I don't see it as being), but this is my setup. I have my devices hooked up to a matrix, and then to my HDTV. From the HDTV, I have a optical cable to my soundbar.

It is a fantastic setup because I never need to switch the input for audio. Any audio that goes through my HDTV, goes to my soundbar. It's pretty convenient (and sounds great).

You can just use the audio return channel via HDMI to get the sound to your receiver. There's no reason to use optical.

Reallink

So HDMI 2.1 and HDR10 Dynamic Metadata are probably going to make current AVR's obsolete, yes? How many manufacturers do we think had the foresight to forward design them to be software upgradable? Have any of them commented on this?

So HDMI 2.1 and HDR10 Dynamic Metadata are probably going to make current AVR's obsolete, yes? How many manufacturers do we think had the foresight to forward design them to be software upgradable? Have any of them commented on this?

Not that I know of, but I'm going to guess that any AVR or TV that was upgradeable from 2.0 to 2.0a, should be upgradeable to 2.1, as long as it's just dynamic metadata.

Top Bottom