• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Preview Thread

Jason From Kotaku

In the wake of Breath of the Wild turning out to be one of the greatest video games ever made, I have some bad news for your time and wallet: Persona 5 might be up there, too.

For the past few weeks I've been playing an early copy of the fifth Persona, logging around 42 hours with Atlus's latest gang of rowdy high school students, which means I'm probably not even halfway done yet. Kirk's in-depth review will be up closer to launch (April 4), but for now, I've played enough to at least give you the short version: It's fantastic.

The Verge

The game is still a bit of an acquired taste. There are a lot of menus to navigate (though they're easily among the most beautiful menus I've ever seen in a game), and you'll be spending a lot of time reading dialogue and fighting through very similar battles. But Persona offers a sense of rhythm unlike any other game. It's weird, yet compelling, and once you get settled into the flow it's hard to put down. And Persona 5 eases you into that flow better than any game in the series. If it can keep that up for the entire experience, this might be the game to finally make Persona a household name.

USGamer

There's an unfuckwithable coolness in the air when I play the opening 20 or so hours of Persona 5. Persona 5 is, in every essence of its carved-out blend of the JRPG and slice-of-life genre, a Persona game; just like its widely adored predecessors Persona 4 and Persona 3. But even more so, it's a showcase of unmatchable lavish style. As if its developers saw the praise of the pristine design that permeated within Persona 3, Persona 4, and Catherine, and proceeded to say, ”Hold my drink," before cooking up something even more jaw-dropping. The result is a game where just its menus will dazzle you, but it's everything else that takes your breath away.

Hardcore Gaming

Persona 5 is also all about style, with transitioning in and out of battle so seamlessly. There's a certain level of stealth attached to the gameplay, even more so than it has been in the past. Instead of simply walking up behind an enemy and smacking them on the head before it could flail around, the protagonist is given the ability to hide in the shadows in order to get the jump on his opponents. Even when they're facing the protagonist, so long as they're not alerted, you'll have the ability to get four shots in before they can. It's has turned out to be a far better system than it appeared on paper, especially considering it actually feels much faster and more engaging to get into battle than ever before.

God Is A Geek

It already feels like there are so many activities available to raise your in game human traits like charm, knowledge, and guts, and I can't wait to tackle a certain food challenge like the Beef Bowl one in Persona 4. Social links are also back in the form of cooperations. I don't want to say anything about these because many people play Persona games for the characters and development of said characters but I feel like Atlus has really gone all out story wise. I can't wait to see where things move.

Previous Persona titles had one flaw that was apparent after I played through the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games and even Etrian Odyssey games: the dungeons in those two games were mediocre. Being procedurally generated resulted in some boring corridors with very little variance throughout. Those are gone and the dungeon design thus far is impeccable. Each one has felt unique with mechanics and with exploration. The atmosphere is sublime in the second dungeon especially.

please post if you find more previews

Jonboy

2017 continues to deliver.

So here's a cool new IP from Guerrilla in Horizon Zero Dawn. Up next is Zelda, quite possibly one the best games ever made. After that, we'll give you Mass Effect. Persona 5 is then right around the corner. Here's a new DLC for Uncharted. Oh and don't forget Super Mario Odyssey. And then we'll top it off with Red Dead 2.

And if that's not enough for you, here's Nioh, Nier, Ghost Recon, Destiny 2...

Insane.

I'm one of the few people that didn't really enjoy Persona 3 & 4 but I am willing to try this out and see if they fix some of the issues I didn't like. Good previews so far though. Happy for the Persona fans.

Good to know I'm one the timeline when Japan decided to get their shit together. Glad to hear the same positive response I heard from importers. The lacklustre jrpg era last gen has been redeemed with a few months period on the ps4.

sasliquid

Persona 4 is the only game in my top 8 to not have a sequel yet. I can't honestly expect this to compare but the hype.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
P5-Winter-PS3.jpg

too long.

The year that keeps on giving...

Nearly done with Horizon, Zelda will be my every day game i pick up for an hour or so.
Back at home where do I start?

Gravity Rush 2
Getting the Plat in TLG
Yakuza 0 (my first Yakuza so I'm excited!)
Mass Effect 3 (I'm an RPG nut)
Persona 5 next month (My first Persona as well)
Nier Automata
Nioh
Dragon Quest Builders
Grand Kingdom
Witcher 3
MGSV
FF14

I don't count Indies...When can I find the time to play all these games? it seems like everyone that tickles my fancy is like an 100 hour experience!

Ridesh

Banned
Well fuck, we have another 95+ game in here it seems

why are you so good 2017, please don't flop mass effect!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This year is just ridiculous so far. My wallet...my poor, poor wallet. It's like every week brings a new GOTY candidate, and this shit isn't slowing down. I'm drowning in top tier games. And it's still going. Jesus.

Cornbread78

Steelbook version pre-orderd and paid for already. Just waiting to pick that baby up and get lost in it for a few months.

killroy87

Can't wait! Previews seem very positive.

I would like a way of knowing (without reading each individual impression) which writers were already hardcore Persona fans, and which are coming to the series fresh. It doesn't surprise me to see Schreier so positive, for example.

12BoM

What's with this stupid notion that games are too weird for reviewers?

Is this like a way to give yourself a backhanded compliment for having a slightly obscure taste or something?

Glad to hear P5 is previewing well in the West, don't really want to read too much of a preview, going in semi-blind (save for earlier trailers).

I haven't played any of these amazing 2017 games (still stuck in DS3), P5 is what I have been building towards.

Almost too afraid to buy anything now before then, in case I haven't them finished in time before P5 arrives.

Top Bottom