• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Preview Thread

Ray Down

Banned
And some of those portable games were better than any console games coming out at the time. So they certainly didn't go away.

And even on consoles, last gen saw Japan releasing games like Yakuza 3-5, Xenoblade, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Nier, Tales of Graces f, Trails of Cold Steel I and II, The Last Remnant, and dozens of other great games. They were just largely ignored outside of some of the big Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda. To say nothing of the fact that Persona 4 was a late 2008 release, even if it was on PS2.

Japan was still making great games. They just weren't getting the attention for it.

This.

Also a lot have been made on handhelds that people avoided.

bigjig

Question to those who have played the game.

Are there more school related fun events or any non main plot events than the previous games? I'm talking about vacations or eating watermelon kind of events in p4.

There's (non-specific spoiler)
about the same amount as P4, but they are more weighted towards the second half of the game

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
To anyone with a preview copy, are the Share button features restricted? They were in the Japanese version and it frustrated the hell out of me not being able to take screenshots when the game is so gorgeous, is that still the case?

Bl@de

Soon.

EU Steelbook already preordered.

Persona 5 will be enough for the summer if the times on hl2b.com are correct (100-150h)

Zaru

Anyone has any knowledge on how this game looks when remote played on the Vita? I mean in terms of text size and such, is it perfectly readable?
I'll probably play most of the game that way if it's comfortable.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone has any knowledge on how this game looks when remote played on the Vita? I mean in terms of text size and such, is it perfectly readable?
I'll probably play most of the game that way if it's comfortable.

The text is certainly smaller than in games like Golden or DAN, since it's designed with TVs in mind, but I never had problems with reading it - everything is perfectly legible.
I would say you'd be doing yourself a disservice to play some of the bigger story moments on a small screen though, the animations and visuals are seriously fantastic and deserve to be appreciated on a big screen.

Soon.

EU Steelbook already preordered.

Persona 5 will be enough for the summer if the times on hl2b.com are correct (100-150h)

That's pretty long. Fortunately I got no other game of interest being released from April onwards so should be able to take my time to enjoy the game. Already planned two playthroughs with the English dub and Japanese dub.

Skinpop

I'm 100 hours in on the japanese version. The hype is real and i feel confident this will beat p4 for me when im done with it. Play with japanese va, it's great. The american from what i've listened to is awful.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any difference between the ps3 and ps4 versions?

Barely. PS3 is 720p, PS4 is 1080p. Load times are a bit longer on PS3. Both are capped at 30fps, share the same textures, character models, etc, and the content in the game is identical.

AzureFlame

Re7, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, NiOH, Zelda, Nier, Persona 5, this is one of best years of gaming for me.

welcome back japan.

barybll

Banned
4 pages for a positive previews thread. Who would have thought this almost beat Zelda as the most anticipated game here? Those delays killed alot of hype.

I would say that it didnt kill it
Just buried it a little
It should pick up as april closes in

Mahonay

Banned
On that note, is Persona 5 affected by the Boost mode that PS4 Pro has?
It's doesn't have a pro patch right?

I'm merely curious.
Can't imagine how much it would really gain from a Pro patch. Seems like not a technically demanding game.

EDIT:
Oh, boost mode. No idea.

Gartooth

4 pages for a positive previews thread. Who would have thought this almost beat Zelda as the most anticipated game here? Those delays killed alot of hype.

My hype is dead for this game. I'm going to pick up my preorder and let the game itself excite me since I'm not on the edge of my seat for its launch. I am happy though that the previews say the game is as good as I hoped.

Atlus USA delaying this from February was still an extremely dumb move if it was all for Japanese VA.

Kudo

I think most people avoid these threads because there's spoilers around, I know that's why I avoid all and everything Persona related. Couldn't hold the urge click it but I'll be on my way now.

Kaizer

Banned
And some of those portable games were better than any console games coming out at the time. So they certainly didn't go away.

And even on consoles, last gen saw Japan releasing games like Yakuza 3-5, Xenoblade, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Nier, Tales of Graces f, Trails of Cold Steel I and II, The Last Remnant, and dozens of other great games. They were just largely ignored outside of some of the big Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda. To say nothing of the fact that Persona 4 was a late 2008 release, even if it was on PS2.

Japan was still making great games. They just weren't getting the attention for it.

This.

Also a lot have been made on handhelds that people avoided.

I don't know why, but I just can't get into JRPGs on handhelds at all for the most part - it just doesn't work for me. Maybe it just comes from me being a kid & playing Legend of the Dragoon and Final Fantasy VII with my Dad in front of the TV for hours. For me JRPGs are always big, expansive experiences that need to be on a television, playing them on a handheld is just not remotely the same experience for me. It's kinda like how watching some films in a theater versus watching them at home can be a completely different experience.

If Xenoblade had been a handheld only game, there's no way I would've ever played it & that's one of my favorite JRPGs of all time. There's been a few exceptions like Soma Bringer back on the DS & I did play Persona 4: Golden for a while on Vita, but even then I couldn't stay with it and ended up buying the PS2 Classic version of P4 to playthrough on PS3 instead.

Have their been any general impressions of the English dub so far

There have been characters videos. Some people seem pretty mixed because Atlus decided not to go with the same old VAs. I mean people might be aware of the new ones, but I don't think they've been in Atlus games before.

FluxWaveZ

There have been characters videos. Some people seem pretty mixed because Atlus decided not to go with the same old VAs. I mean people might be aware of the new ones, but I don't think they've been in Atlus games before.

I think that is being disingenuous to the reason some are not into some parts of what they've heard of Persona 5's English voice acting. Some of them have been in previous Atlus games, too, like the P5 Protagonist being the SMT IV: Apocalypse protagonist or Futaba Sakura being Asahi.

I think that is being disingenuous to the reason some are not into some parts of what they've heard of Persona 5's English voice acting. Some of them have been in previous Atlus games, too, like the P5 Protagonist being the SMT IV: Apocalypse protagonist or Futaba Sakura being Asahi.

...I screwed up. I didn't mean to type people didn't like X because of new VAs, just someone people didn't like them and it was new VAs :( I didn't know about Apocalypse Protag and Asahi "being" in this. That's pretty cool, I liked Asahi.

Personally I'm reserving judgement till next month and I have the game in my PS4. I liked almost all of P4G's VA, but if you take some bits out of context or not knowing a character it sounds super weird.

My hype is dead for this game. I'm going to pick up my preorder and let the game itself excite me since I'm not on the edge of my seat for its launch. I am happy though that the previews say the game is as good as I hoped.

Atlus USA delaying this from February was still an extremely dumb move if it was all for Japanese VA.

All you gotta do is watch the original trailer again. Instant hype.

And nah, delaying to April was a very smart business move. People are too distracted by other well-reviewed games right now.

I think most people avoid these threads because there's spoilers around, I know that's why I avoid all and everything Persona related. Couldn't hold the urge click it but I'll be on my way now.

Yup. Between spoilery Atlus trailers and people who played the JP version, pre-release Persona threads are a minefield I try to avoid.

asagami_

Banned
...I screwed up. I didn't mean to type people didn't like X because of new VAs, just someone people didn't like them and it was new VAs :( I didn't know about Apocalypse Protag and Asahi "being" in this. That's pretty cool, I liked Asahi.

Personally I'm reserving judgement till next month and I have the game in my PS4. I liked almost all of P4G's VA, but if you take some bits out of context or not knowing a character it sounds super weird.

Morgana is Toki (and the awesome Airi Ban), and I think Walter's voice actor is someone important, too.

CrazyDude

It wasn't delayed because of dual audio.
They have said it a million times already.
I don't why people still say this.

Nightbird

Yup. Between spoilery Atlus trailers and people who played the JP version, pre-release Persona threads are a minefield I try to avoid.

i am surprised that i managed to avoid all spoilers until now.

I wouldn't even know that the trailers contain spoilers if people wouldn't keep pointing this out. Thankfully i lack the knowledge about any context for those.

And i'm happy that those who played the Game here on Gaf are so thoughtful of those who avoided spoilers.

You rock.

Setsu00

It wasn't delayed because of dual audio.
They have said it a million times already.
I don't why people still say this.

Because it's an obvious enough conclusion. They announced the delay at the same time as dual audio which means that most people will connect these two things, even if they may not have any connection.

I wouldn't even know that the trailers contain spoilers if people wouldn't keep pointing this out. Thankfully i lack the knowledge about any context for those.

Same. I don't know how spoilery all the trailers are this time as I've basically been on blackout for a year, but then again I'm very spoiler adverse. After waiting so long for a new Persona, I'd rather discover new features on my own.

Kaizer

Banned

And i'm happy that those who played the Game here on Gaf are so thoughtful of those who avoided spoilers.

You rock.

Same, I'm proud of myself, haven't stayed away from any trailers or footage, yet I have absolutely no clue what this game is about at all.

You know, since they delayed this game a fuck ton of times, maybe give us a little treat and make it 4k on Pro, pretty please?

You rock.

To be honest, it doesn't even feel like the game has been released already.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Because it's an obvious enough conclusion. They announced the delay at the same time as dual audio which means that most people will connect these two things, even if they may not have any connection.

The other 'issue' is that they only cite vague 'polish and improvements' as the reason for a 7 week delay. Despite that, the press already has copies as of February?

Obviously, stuff could change from review --> Gold and disc printing, and apparently Atlus has been pretty good about getting stuff to the press to review a good ways out.....

But while I don't think Dual Audio is the reason for the delay, I don't think 'polish and improvements to the VA/voiced scenes' is the only rationale for the delay, either.

Top Bottom