• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't we have a bit of PC gaming on Scorpio?

Prologue

Seems like Microsoft keeps blending the xbox and windows division together. Now I don't expect to pick up Scorpio and play Crysis at 4k, but I would love to play some niche titles I haven't gotten around to like Planet Coaster and CitySkylines.

What would be wrong in having some PC gaming functionality built into xbox one? Why do both divisions have to be separate?

Tagyhag

Cities: Skylines was already announced for the Xbox One for Q2 2017.

As for the rest, maybe they assume not enough people would use a mouse and keyboard on a console?

Seems like an awesome idea, but hard to realize.

Now microsoft just needs to release it's games on Windows. The other way around is contacting publishers to allow their games to be playable on Scorpio.

Not sure, but i would think the publishers would have a say in that.

Cities: Skylines was already announced for the Xbox One for Q2 2017.

As for the rest, maybe they assume not enough people would use a mouse and keyboard on a console?

plus I don't think they want folks dealing with driver issues on specific controllers, etc.

Hari Seldon

I think the fundamental problem is that all of the big AAA PC franchises of years past have already been money-hatted to be on consoles (mostly by MS lol). So what is left is the big big boys that run their own GAAS models that don't want to give a cut to someone else (Blizzard, Valve, Riot, etc.), strategy game devs, and small studios without funds/desire to port to console.

Synth

PC games on Xbox would be the biggest feature MS could implement. Not sure why they don't do it

Because they want you to buy games from them... and not the huge multitude of companies that'll sell you PC games without them seeing a penny.

It's kinda why they have a console (and now a Windows Store) in the first place.

If you are asking for keyboard and mouse support and games that are centered around that, that's something that they could do, and could be cool.

If you are asking for Steam on your Xbox, that's something that makes no financial sense to MSFT. They don't make money on the hardware, they make money off transactions from their marketplace (or physical copies of games for the system).

Xando

Because they want you to buy games from them... and not the huge multitude of companies that'll sell you PC games without them seeing a penny.

It's kinda why they have a console (and now a Windows Store) in the first place.

You are talking about companies that mostly put their games on console anyway.

If they had PC support on their console it would open up to get games like LoL, Paradox games or other PC exclusives.

Isn't the Xb1 running on windows 10 anyway?

Hm, OT suggests massive port begging.

But its cool when pc players do it for console titles. I dont think hes asking anything wrong here, steam gets alot of cool niche titles. Cities skylines for example or planet coaster, it would be cool to be able to play those on scorpio, i dont know if it will happen because of window store stuff, but id hope theyd give you an option to use mouse and keyboard as well if you wanted to for a strategy game

Prologue

Just build a PC

This, like seriously next we'll have someone asking for excel on Scorpio, smh.

Question: Why can't I PC on my Scorpio?
Answer: because it's not a pc.

I have a macbook pro, a ps4 pro and later this year, a scorpio. I'm not going to build a pc for gaming alone. Maybe in the future I will, but why argue against a method that would open up people even more to some of the PC titles they have missed? I'm not suggesting for Switch to have PC functionality or anything ridiculous like that.

PC gaming is done on windows computers. Microsoft has been changing the OS alone to be more like windows since the end of the 360 console cycle. Console hardware choices are more PC friendly than ever. Why insist on having that division still? Especially on a Microsoft built console? Would it be that outlandish for there to be a steam-esque store and for someone to come home and load up WOW or SimCity on their xbox one? The power will be there now.

It should be less about building a PC and more about increasing accessibility to games.

PC gaming is done on windows computers. Microsoft has been changing the OS alone to be more like windows since the end of the 360 console cycle. Console hardware choices are more PC friendly than ever. Why insist on having that division still? Especially on a Microsoft built console? Would it be that outlandish for there to be a steam-esque store and for someone to come home and load up WOW or SimCity on their xbox one? The power will be there now.

It should be less about building a PC and more about increasing accessibility to games.

These are games specifically designed to be played with a mouse and keyboard and in front of a computer screen. How do you expect to play them ? Ypou cant controll them with a limited pad and you cant see or read on a tv from a bigger distance.

Peterc

Ms should stop with Xbox and go for a pcbox with hardcore games and leave the mainstream games for ps4. I don't think it's smart to bringing the same content/experience as ps4, while Sony is better in marketing the mainstream market and Microsoft for the hardcore market. The pc online market is huge and could fix all their problems and way much cheaper for them and devs to develop for.

There isn't even one reason why they shouldn't do it.

dmix90

That would be kinda cool. We know that ESRAM is gone and if Scorpio has 12gb GDDR5 then maybe its possible to kinda split it in software to use 8gb as regular PC ram and dedicate rest 4gb as video memory for compatibility with some of Steam library.

AmFreak

You are talking about companies that mostly put their games on console anyway.

If they had PC support on their console it would open up to get games like LoL, Paradox games or other PC exclusives.

Isn't the Xb1 running on windows 10 anyway?
Now: Ms gets 30% of everything you buy (digital).
Open: Ms gets nothing (you buy outside their store).

PC games on Xbox would be the biggest feature MS could implement. Not sure why they don't do it

Because people could just buy games from other portals, probably.

Like, I think it would be amazing if Scorpio runs a full Win10 build, but with Xbox One, you are forced to buy from the Microsoft ecosystem. If they open up steam games to X1, they could be sacrificing control of their market.

Tagyhag

I wouldn't call talking about a Windows based games on a Windows based console from the company who created Windows "port begging".

I'm not sure they'd open their console to revenue losing apps though :).

To be fair, I don't see Planet Coaster on the Windows store and there's a reason for that.

Widge

Microsoft would have to curate the PC library, ensure compatibility, effectively they'd just be porting titles so why bother?

No chance they'd open up to the nightmare of just free reign "add a PC game" or putting Steam on it. Imagine the support needed for that.

Hari Seldon

If you are saying just get out of the console business entirely and just sell really nice powerful gaming PCs running full win 10, I am perfectly down with that.

be nice to be able to hook up the Scorpio to a Windows 10 PC and use the PC/laptop like an external hard drive and run PC games through Scorpio...

dr_rus

What exactly are you asking, OP? The ability to freely install downloaded Win32 programs on Xbox?

Allowing the Scorpio to dual boot between W10 and Xbox OS is something they should do completely.

Xbox OS is Windows 10 though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
What exactly are you asking, OP? The ability to freely install downloaded Win32 programs on Xbox?

Xbox OS is Windows 10 though.

Yeah it is but c'mon you know what they meant. It's not the same version as what you'd install on a PC. What I assume they want is it to boot into desktop mode and be able to plug in a kb/m.

EGM1966

You mean they should make Scorpio a SteamBox? Valve would probably be happy to certify them.

Would totally tank whatever lean sales they get on their store though. Also raises the option to skip the XB1 version MS gets a cut of with third party games and buy cheaper PC version where they don't.

So nope I'm guessing not. Build a PC OP.

This would be very hard to achieve I suspect (not technically I mean sales/licensing and cannibalisation).

onQ123

This is what is basically happening with UWP it's just up to the ip owners to convert the games to UWP games & get them on the Windows store so that it will be playable on Xbox & PC

Why don't you just wait for them to announce the damn thing? Seriously, 18 months of hand wringing over this box is getting tiresome now IMO.

We can't really discuss what the Scorpio can and can't do until Microsoft actually decides to tell us something more than a 90 second trailer about it.

atr0cious

I think the Scorpio would have a good value proposition if it allowed m/kb controls and customization, especially if it's priced above $400. The main audience for the system is the "hardcore," who also buy the elite controller and the xim kbm controllers, so making it native would signal the system is for them. Plus it would bring in the pc audience who really don't want to touch the win10 store. This would go hand in hand with play anywhere and their ability to create playlists based on control type. And then they could sell all the scorpio branded accessories.

The original xbone should've already been a minipc with the ability to upgrade proprietary cards over time, but that's a whole other thing.

Top Bottom