• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timer for Planescape appears. Expires Monday

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What's this game? Never heard of it

I'll take a steam version of Planescape, it won't be a big remake just like BG2 remastered but I'll take what I'll get

wow i might be able to finally play this on my phone

You really don't want to though...

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'll buy and play this again. Why not? It's still the best written game of all time as far as I know. The spiritual successor has its issues but it is MOST DEFINITELY feeling the planescape vibe. There isn't quite anything like it, still.

Worth a pickup for anyone IMO.

Farks!

Someone posted these on /v/, claiming to be a tester for the game.

7PbqcaQ.jpg

Hfhbr6d.jpg

Miletius

A remaster/EE would be nice. Last time I played Torment it was hard to get the graphics setting just right. Widescreen mod would mess up some animations, but I just lived with it since it was nbd otherwise.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

7PbqcaQ.jpg

Hfhbr6d.jpg

Beamdog has been teasing this game on twitter and posting a countdown on planEscape.com. This is the only thing they could be talking about.

That said, this is great! The game ABSOLUTELY holds up and letting people play it more easily on modern systems is only a good thing. Give everyone a chance to experience the best writing in video games.

Spacejaws

Some clever clog also spotted this...

Courtesy of user smeagolheart

check the source code from the page planescape.com (Brackets changed to parentheses to be able to paste code here):

....html code....

(center)(h2 style="font-size: 26pt;")(/h2)(/center)
(div class="centered")
(div class="clock" style="width: 620px;" secret="0x50 0x53 0x54 0x45 0x45")(/div)
(/div)
0x50 0x53 0x54 0x45 0x45 translates to PSTEE, translate the 'secret' for yourself here:

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/hex-to-ascii.htm

NeoBob688

High resolution mods have been around for Torment a long time. Nevertheless, I would still buy a remaster just to support the game.

Paragon

High resolution mods have been around for Torment a long time. Nevertheless, I would still buy a remaster just to support the game.
Ehh, looks like original with resolution mod (tiny menu icons included)
I've had a lot of difficulty getting Planescape: Torment to run well on Windows 10.
I either get graphical glitches, or it runs ≤20 FPS.
I can't get EAX audio working in the game at all either.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 run fine for me with the Trilogy mod, since that runs both in the BG2 engine.
Getting BG1 to work on its own without that mod was about as problematic as PST - though EAX audio still worked.
So I passed on the Enhanced Editions of BG1&2, as I heard they introduced quite a few issues that were not present in the originals.

Did they ever port over the EAX effects to their new engine?
Having environmental effects really helped the atmosphere of these games, and I'd hate to lose them.

Nzyme32

7PbqcaQ.jpg

Hfhbr6d.jpg

I guess I won't start the GOG version of that then.

oh my.

OH MY.

Beamdog has been teasing this game on twitter and posting a countdown on planEscape.com. This is the only thing they could be talking about.

That said, this is great! The game ABSOLUTELY holds up and letting people play it more easily on modern systems is only a good thing. Give everyone a chance to experience the best writing in video games.

I also think the modded original via GOG still holds up well, but it would certainly be nice to improve upon those further and make the game super easy to just jump into. In that sense, an enhanced edition would be great - but it totally depends on what they are doing with it.

The image could easily just be some resolution fixes, but more interesting would be what else they are doing, what's happening regarding the broken / unfinished content, do they intend to add to the game / alter combat etc etc. So It's up in the air till this gets an official discussion. I won't bother with the current version on GOG till more info on this is available, then decide which to play

Kalopsia

Neo Member
I hope Beamdog has the sense to not fuck with the game beyond uprezzing it.

The additional content they added to BG1/BG2 Enhanced Editions was fucking dire.

Spacejaws

I agree. He should play it on iPad

I tried Baldur's Gate on iPhone before I got a tablet and it's impossible

Ah that's bull. I've got it on an Iphone 6 and beat Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and yeah it's not the best but absolutely playable. Perfect for playing while waiting for a bus or a plane or whatever.

IWD2 is also pretty difficult. At least PS:T can be modded to support widescreen resolutions without breaking the toolbar. Also IWD2 crashes at a specific point if you're not running it at 640x480 I believe.

Yeah, I'm hopeful they get around to doing EEs of both games. The Enhanced Editions are all really good. I'd love to replay IWD2, but as you say it's super awkward.

Ah that's bull. I've got it on an Iphone 6 and beat Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and yeah it's not the best but absolutely playable. Perfect for playing while waiting for a bus or a plane or whatever.
I found it unplayable. Screen was just too cramped.

I imagine Planescape would be even worse due to all the reading and text

Altazor

To all th people saying "but you can already play the GOG version with the widescreen mod and the UI Fix"... well, yes. That's what I'm currently doing to play it, but it's not ideal at all. The game randomly crashes in certain areas, sometimes the whole screen flickers, I run some Windows compatibility shit just to make the cursor not leave a trail and so on and so on.

If everything goes right, the EE wouldn't be that buggy or unstable. That'd be a relief.

Chumley

Banned
Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition, easy one to predict there.

The original even with the mods has serious problems on modern displays and bugs up the wazoo.

Disagree, the screens look a bit better I think.

Miletius

I also think the modded original via GOG still holds up well, but it would certainly be nice to improve upon those further and make the game super easy to just jump into. In that sense, an enhanced edition would be great - but it totally depends on what they are doing with it.

The image could easily just be some resolution fixes, but more interesting would be what else they are doing, what's happening regarding the broken / unfinished content, do they intend to add to the game / alter combat etc etc. So It's up in the air till this gets an official discussion. I won't bother with the current version on GOG till more info on this is available, then decide which to play

They will probably restore all content possible -- can't see why they won't. Most of the RC content mods also add a couple of quests which I'd probably would not restore -- I guess it's up to Beamdog how to handle them.

I absolutely do not want to see any new Beamdog added content. The game is with the majority of the restored content is pretty complete, and I don't really see benefit in adding a new NPC, new area, or new quests.

Spacejaws

I found it unplayable. Screen was just too cramped.

I imagine Planescape would be even worse due to all the reading and text

Here's hoping for a text size option. The new patch for BG had one and I really liked it. Seems like the mindset behind including it was for mobile devices. Seeing as Planescape had a generally recomended mod that also did text resizing there's a good chance it will be in there.

Other than that I actually didn't have any problems with the text but I guess I read kindle on my phone all the time too and used to the text size. Honestly it doesn't seem that much smaller than what i'm typing at the moment on my phone.

Nikodemos

I prefer a new game in the planescape setting over a remaster that will give us nothing that mods haven't done before.
The core engine still runs like hot garbage on current computers. "Just add mods" is never the answer to performance issues.

If all Beamdog do is make the game stable on current rigs at current resolutions, they'll be doing more than all modpacks combined.

Sijil

Wish it was more of a remake then a remaster, like reworking all the art assets to modern day high poly high resolution standards, make it as pretty as Pillars of Eternity. But I'll take remaster regardless.

Top Bottom