• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Selling Xbox One with digital games?

Vuze

Hey,

so I want to sell my Xbox One S because I barely find any time to use it.
I've bought a fair few games on it digitally when they were on sale and I'd like to offer them along the console for some extra bucks (with an obvious disclaimer about the potential risks of course. I'm selling on my local craigslist equivalent so no eBay shenanigans btw).

The games are obviously tied to my account and from what I've read only work on the console set as home console (which would be this one).
Is it possible to log out of my account on the console while the games are still playable? Or do I need to remain logged in and/or regularly verify ownership with password or sth?

I won't buy an XO again in the forseeable future so I wouldn't really mind if the games are "locked away".

Thanks for your advice.

sam777

You can but in the future if you decide to get another Xbox, the buyer may get screwed over.

Although imo it would be best to restore it.

Phawx

It would ultimately be disingenuous to sell your console with hardware tied licenses because you being the primary account owner could switch those licenses to another XB whenever you wanted and removing any value from the person you sold them to.

On the Xbox 360, I had some digital games.

Sold my console and removed the account associated with it. The games kept working on that console without my account.

I think game licenses on X360 are bound to both primary console + account, so either of those would have the games working.

I suspect this would work as well on Xbox One because once I had support ask me to remove my account and as another account (silver one I have for guests) the games kept on working...

Try to remove just your account and see if the games still work, OP.

Flintty

The only thing you can do is give them your account so they can transfer to their own email address but it's all a bit dodgy.

nOoblet16

Hey,

so I want to sell my Xbox One S because I barely find any time to use it.
I've bought a fair few games on it digitally when they were on sale and I'd like to offer them along the console for some extra bucks (with an obvious disclaimer about the potential risks of course. I'm selling on my local craigslist equivalent so no eBay shenanigans btw).

The games are obviously tied to my account and from what I've read only work on the console set as home console (which would be this one).
Is it possible to log out of my account on the console while the games are still playable? Or do I need to remain logged in and/or regularly verify ownership with password or sth?

I won't buy an XO again in the forseeable future so I wouldn't really mind if the games are "locked away".

Thanks for your advice.
You can sell your console and have your id deleted and the games would work fine on that console, the problem will come up when the buyer deletes the game. The other issue is that since it's your account you can take away ownership from the buyer at any time by simply making another console the home console of your id. BUT if I were you I'd give them the ownership of the id as well, because afterall they are paying for your games. It'd be akin to selling your home to someone along with the furniture and equipment (for which you charge extra) but keeping the ownership papers of those equipment for yourself.

You can but in the future if you decide to get another Xbox, the buyer may get screwed over.

Although imo it would be best to restore it.
Not necessarily. As long as the OP doesn't make the new console the home console for his id, the games in his current console that he wishes to sell will keep working. And they will keep working for the buyer even if the OP uses his id to play the same game at the same time on his new console.

You're trying to make more money or be a nice guy?

Someone you know? If not reset it and forget it. If you don't need your account and email them give it to them.

Unrivaled

Banned
If i was the buyer of your console id ask for your account details with it. So i can change the password and maybe even email (i think thats possible) to the account.
I would not trust the seller to not go home and change the password on me and remove the "home console" staus. But thats just me.

And i also never buy a console from sellers that offer ther game digitally to me i would just negotiate the console honestly.

Just sell the console and keep your account. Or jist sell to a friend

breakfuss

Just reset it lol. I dont think anyone with an ounce of sense would pay more because your digital purchases are there. Unless of course you handed over the account as well.

Vuze

You can sell your console and have your id deleted and the games would work fine on that console, the problem will come up when the buyer deletes the game. The other issue is that since it's your account you can take away ownership from the buyer at any time by simply making another console the home console of your id. BUT if I were you I'd give them the ownership of the id as well, because afterall they are paying for your games. It'd be akin to selling your home to someone along with the furniture and equipment (for which you charge extra) but keeping the ownership papers of those equipment for yourself
Thanks for the through response (and to everyone else who posted a helpful reply).
I guess I'm just gonna factory reset it. Seems like the risk is too high for both parties to leave the games on the console. It's indeed no throwaway account that the games are on so I wouldn't give it away.

shandy706

Thanks for the through response (and to everyone else who posted a helpful reply).
I guess I'm just gonna factory reset it. Seems like the risk is too high for both parties to leave the games on the console. It's indeed no throwaway account that the games are on so I wouldn't give it away.

Then factory reset is your only choice, as others said :)

Orca

Shit out of luck.

Unless you want to give away your account.

All they have to do is make the Xbox their primary console. That ties the licenses to it. They don't need to have the account on it at all.

The buyer would have to trust the guy not to simply set another Xbox as his primary console later.

ArmageddB

Always remember ... Microsoft wanted to enable this. But everyone s*** on them at E3 when they suggested laying down the framework to make it possible.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
if you leave that console set as your home console the person will be able to play your digital game unless they factory reset the console or you make another xbox your home xbox.

I wouldn't sell the console with the promise it comes with games if you're doing it this way.

Ricky_R

All they have to do is make the Xbox their primary console. That ties the licenses to it. They don't need to have the account on it at all.

The buyer would have to trust the guy not to simply set another Xbox as his primary console later.

Would you trust in a case like this? I wouldn't.

Also, OP says he isn't going to get an Xbox in the foreseeable future so he might sooner or later, and he will probably going to use his account as primary.

I would ask for the account details, but that's just me.

Orca

Would you trust in a case like this? I wouldn't.

Also, OP says he isn't going to get an Xbox in the foreseeable future so he might sooner or later, and he will probably going to use his account as primary.

I would ask for the account details, but that's just me.

I wouldn't pay full value for the games, but I'd consider them a throw-in value for sure. Even if the guy buys another Xbox in six months and takes them away, you'd still have six months of gaming with them.

Iorv3th

Always remember ... Microsoft wanted to enable this. But everyone s*** on them at E3 when they suggested laying down the framework to make it possible.

No they wanted to enable all physical discs to unlock a digital copy. This isn't the same as being able to sell/trade your digital games. They never had a plan for it or they would have executed it. Physical discs existing is not preventing them from allowing digital resale/trading.

ArmageddB

No they wanted to enable all physical discs to unlock a digital copy. This isn't the same as being able to sell/trade your digital games. They never had a plan for it or they would have executed it. Physical discs existing is not preventing them from allowing digital resale/trading.

"We were trying to implement the ability to trade [and] loan digital games with your friends," Penello told GameSpot, "which is something that no-one else was doing. I believe, in retrospect that people have calmed down and gone back and actually looked at what we said, people are starting to understand, 'Wow, they did want actually to allow me to loan and trade', which other digital ecosystems don't want to do.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-05-microsoft-still-hopes-for-xbox-one-digital-game-trading

Top Bottom