• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever take a DNA test and be completely surprised?

Cocaloch

As I say in all these threads this isn't real guys. Ethnicity is not genetic.

These things are also a great way to shut down all those people who claim to be descended from an Indian princess.

Except it doesn't do that at all ever. These things aren't going to tell someone they are definitely not something ever.

Keri

Even if you're not that interested in your Ancestry, the health information can be really useful. Combining 23andMe and Promethease, I was able to discover a good chunk of important medical information. Promethease even identified a very specific medication that has an increased risk of giving me a heart attack. So, definitely something I'd bring up with my doctor, if I was ever prescribed it.

The medical stuff can be risky, because there's always the chance you'll discover something significant that you have no control over, but personally I'd rather know.

I'd die to take one. I've always been told we're Irish but there's all this dark, really very curly hair that runs in my family and not many of us are fair skinned...

Cocaloch

Ethnicity is not genetic. It's socio-cultural and historical. And it's not just that this is incorrect, this is a fundamentally bad way of looking at these things. A positivist understanding of ethnicity and race has proven pretty negative in the past, see eugenics and scientific racism more broadly.

Though while I must admit the intersection of capitalism and scientism here is pretty humorous, that's also an issue.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My wife and I were thinking of doing 23andme or ancestry for Christmas presents. I get the feeling from this thread that they aren't worth it. Anyone think they are worth it?

Keri

My wife and I were thinking of doing 23andme or ancestry for Christmas presents. I get the feeling from this thread that they aren't worth it. Anyone think they are worth it?

My husband and I both just did 23andMe tests. We bought ancestry and health kits for 50% off on Amazon Prime Day. The ancestry information is interesting, but personally, if that was all we did I wouldn't think it was worth $100. The health information I absolutely think is worth it (see my post above).

Izuna

Banned
Ethnicity is not genetic. It's socio-cultural and historical. And it's not just that this is incorrect, this is a fundamentally bad way of looking of these things. A positivist understanding of ethnicity and race has proven pretty negative in the past, see eugenics and scientific racism more broadly.

Though while I must admit the intersection of capitalism and scientism here is pretty humorous, that's also an issue.

In the UK it means race. FYI.

I want to do one later this year, as I've heard a lot of tales and countries on both sides of the family (more so on my father's side). It'll be interesting to see how much of them are bull compared to what we do "know."

I'm pretty sure the Family Tree DNA won't sell or share the results as part of their privacy agreement, so I'm looking into that.

My wife's family had a long running oral family history that included native american lineage. There was no proof or actual evidence to back it up, just a passed down family story.
My mother would tell me and the rest of her children regularly about us HAVING to have Native American ancestry based on how my great-grandmother looked. My aunt took Ancestry's test earlier this year, and…0%. Mom was incorrect. Turns out she does have ~15% Middle Eastern in her, though.

Bluecondor

It depends on what you are looking to find. If you fall into the trap of taking the ethnicity percentages too seriously (meaning that you expect the ethnicity percentages to tell you something interesting about your ancestry), then you should just save your money.

But - if you have an interesting ancestor(s) within the past five generations that you want to learn more about, the test can be incredibly powerful. I manage the Ancestry DNA kits of 23 of my relatives. There are a number of adoptions and "non-paternal events" (i.e. affairs, sperm donors, etc.) that have to come to light because of the explanatory power of the autosomal DNA test going back five generations.

For example, earlier this summer, we were able to narrow down a third cousin's birth father to two possibilities. She had been donor-conceived in Pennsylvania in 1958. It's actually a very simple process. She had a first cousin match whose recent family tree simply did not fit at all on her mother's side. With a first cousin match, you have shared grandparents. We quickly were able to figure out (through census records and newspaper searches) that the match's father had two brothers living in Pennsylvania in 1958 who could have been the father. Amazingly - she reached to them and the one guy admitted that he was her father.

I'll say it again though - you are completely wasting your time if you expect to get anything earth-shattering out of the ethnicity percentages - especially for people who have mostly Western European ancestors.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I found out through my Ancestry DNA test that my Dad's father wasn't who my Dad thought he was.

Bluecondor

I found out through my Ancestry DNA test that my Dad's father wasn't who my Dad thought he was.

Wow - yes, the test is amazingly accurate within the past five generations. I'm sorry to hear that your Dad had to find this out through the Ancestry test. That can be devastating.

This type of example shows the explanatory power of the test, in that we expect to have approximately 25% of our autosomal DNA from each grandparent. So - if a tester expects John Smith to be their paternal grandfather, this also means that the tester has a 100% chance of matching their Smith first cousins (first cousins typically share around 12.25% of their autosomal DNA).

So - if the tester and his/her Smith first cousin take the test and do not have a match, they need to explore the possible explanations for this.

First of all - you always have to consider the possibility of a sampling error. If possible, I try to get another Smith first cousin to take the test.

Sadly - what often happens then though is that this third tester matches with one cousin and not the other. The one who doesn't match then needs to look into the possible reasons why (and, what you then often find is that they have additional close matches who don't fit at all in their family tree).

In genetic genealogy, this is called "misattributed parentage". We just had one of these cases in my family last summer - a first cousin who was born in 1922 that no one in my family had ever heard of before who was revealed through Ancestry DNA. This is still a sensitive topic in my family.

Not a DNA test, but when my dad was trying to find out who his parents were (he was adopted) I helped him out, combing through various records I could get my hands on. We eventually found out that his biological grandfather had been a pimp in Philly, his father was an incarcerated drug dealer (who we never found the name of), and that his mother died in a car crash a week after he'd been born. Also it seems that his biological great-grandfather had been partially black, at least according to descriptions and some other documents. So I have a black ancestor, yet I'm blindingly white.

My wife's family had a long running oral family history that included native american lineage. There was no proof or actual evidence to back it up, just a passed down family story. The Ancestory DNA test debunked that story completely. 0% Native American. Her family didn't believe her so we paid to have other members tested. 0% all around. Ancestory CS was helpful in explaining to her that the Native American genetic markers are so unique, that they are very easy to recognize.

This oral history in her family had gone on for at least 4 generations from what I could count. It made me really curious to discover the why behind how it started. No one knows in her family.

My DNA results were pretty boring, other than a surprise amount of Scandinavian mixed in. I think my family peeps were raided at one time.

That's something common you hear in the states. I've even seen YouTube videos of people claiming these tests are false because American Indian didn't show up.

I haven't taken it, but my ex did and hers showed ~50 percent American Indian which is about where we expected

Izuna

Banned
Race isn't genetic either, though ethnicity doesn't just mean race in the United Kingdom either so I'm not really sure what you're doing here anyway.

You have lost me in every way. In the UK we write race/ethnicity. They are interchangeable.

Also not genetic? Like, okay.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I haven't been tested but I laughed when I found out that my mom had a small but significant amount of Middle Eastern blood because she didn't know and because she's a hardcore Islamophobe.
None of that got passed to my sister, who was also tested and has had a Muslim best friend.

Cocaloch

You have lost me in every way. In the UK we write race/ethnicity. They are interchangeable.

If you reread my post you'll see I said just race. In both Britain and America ethnicity is often essentially used as a euphemism for race, and in actuality this is the older usage of race anyway, but ethnicity also sometimes clearly refers to groupings that aren't racial or are subracial.

Here are some official statistics showcasing both usages

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...dnationalidentityinenglandandwales/2012-12-11

Also not genetic? Like, okay.

Any augment for why it is genetic? We associated certain phenotypes with particular races and ethnic groups. That doesn't mean being part of a race or ethnic group is genetic, it's socio-cultural and historical. This isn't cutting edge stuff by the way. We haven't really thought race is biological for quite some time.

On my maternal side, we have usually a strong mixture of west African and European, mostly Irish British and Scandinavian.

But many of us have this common strain of 2% Polynesian. No one has any clue what the hell that was about.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My husband and I both just did 23andMe tests. We bought ancestry and health kits for 50% off on Amazon Prime Day. The ancestry information is interesting, but personally, if that was all we did I wouldn't think it was worth $100. The health information I absolutely think is worth it (see my post above).

It depends on what you are looking to find. If you fall into the trap of taking the ethnicity percentages too seriously (meaning that you expect the ethnicity percentages to tell you something interesting about your ancestry), then you should just save your money.

But - if you have an interesting ancestor(s) within the past five generations that you want to learn more about, the test can be incredibly powerful. I manage the Ancestry DNA kits of 23 of my relatives. There are a number of adoptions and "non-paternal events" (i.e. affairs, sperm donors, etc.) that have to come to light because of the explanatory power of the autosomal DNA test going back five generations.

For example, earlier this summer, we were able to narrow down a third cousin's birth father to two possibilities. She had been donor-conceived in Pennsylvania in 1958. It's actually a very simple process. She had a first cousin match whose recent family tree simply did not fit at all on her mother's side. With a first cousin match, you have shared grandparents. We quickly were able to figure out (through census records and newspaper searches) that the match's father had two brothers living in Pennsylvania in 1958 who could have been the father. Amazingly - she reached to them and the one guy admitted that he was her father.

I'll say it again though - you are completely wasting your time if you expect to get anything earth-shattering out of the ethnicity percentages - especially for people who have mostly Western European ancestors.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, we're both mostly Western European.

Not yet, but this is something that I've been wanting to try and discover. I'm Filipino, but I'm not exactly sure what else I am besides being ethnic "Malay," as most Pinoys are.

My mom's side is especially interesting—I inherited most of my genes from her, so I really look Asian compared to my other family members. Likewise, when I went to Japan, a lot of Japanese people would almost always start speaking Japanese to me, instead of them assuming that I'm of different nationality. Of course this might not mean I have Japanese ancestry, but my mom's from a province called Davao, which had a lot of Japanese settlers back in the days of Spanish and American colonialism. On the other hand, my mom's maiden name is of Greek origin, and she did tell me that a lot of her relatives have natural light skin and brown hair, so that's another thing. We're speculating that we have some Japanese and Greek in us, but we don't really know until we take it, sooooo, yeah.

Izuna

Banned
Not yet, but this is something that I've been wanting to try and discover. I'm Filipino, but I'm not exactly sure what else I am besides being ethnic "Malay," as most Pinoys are.

My mom's side is especially interesting—I inherited most of my genes from her, so I really look Asian compared to my other family members. Likewise, when I went to Japan, a lot of Japanese people would almost always start speaking Japanese to me, instead of them assuming that I'm of different nationality. Of course this might not mean I have Japanese ancestry, but my mom's from a province called Davao, which had a lot of Japanese settlers back in the days of Spanish and American colonialism. On the other hand, my mom's maiden name is of Greek origin, and she did tell me that a lot of her relatives have natural light skin and brown hair, so that's another thing. We're speculating that we have some Japanese and Greek in us, but we don't really know until we take it, sooooo, yeah.

Japanese people must be blind because they do it to me too.

Helps with customs tho, so whatever.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'd be rather bored by a DNA test given what I've seen of the family geneology charts.

Probably break down 90% Swedish
9% Norwegan
1% Celt

Only real ? Is my maternal grandfather that we could only vaguely trace to England. His family seemed to experience wanderlust. Some of the first over to America, and they spread westward as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

Bakercat

Yeah, I took one out of curiosity and it turned out that I'm half man, half bear, and half pig. I won't even look at my mother anymore.

Yup, turns out I'm 99.9% unknown.
image.php

Makai

Ethnicity is not genetic. It's socio-cultural and historical. And it's not just that this is incorrect, this is a fundamentally bad way of looking at these things. A positivist understanding of ethnicity and race has proven pretty negative in the past, see eugenics and scientific racism more broadly.

Your ethnicity is hereditary, therefore genetic.

Zoe

This thread is reminding me that I need to send in my 23andme kit.

I'm more interested in the health stuff. Only ancestry part I'm curious about is how much Spanish there is.

Izuna

Banned
I took one, ran it through Prom. Nothing surprising at all. I'm completely East Asian, almost all Chinese.

It did explain my hair, which I have to convince people I don't dye (and no one believes me). That's right, I have the brown hair gene, not black. My hair is naturally this color.

I'm still mind-blown about this.

Cocaloch

Your ethnicity is hereditary, therefore genetic.

No. It really isn't genetic. And it's hereditary in a social sense. So is class. Do you think class is genetic? Or instead maybe these things have a social history and are created through cultural understandings. Again we associate some genes with specific ethnicities for various social reasons, but that doesn't make them genetic.

Again this is exactly the kind of thinking behind eugenics and scientific racism. Are you sure you want to be advocating for this? If ethnicity and race are genetic then they are also biological. Do you want to be arguing that biological races exist? We don't need petty positivism to explain everything that goes on around us.

Izuna

Banned
No. It really isn't genetic. And it's hereditary in a social sense. So is class. Do you think class is genetic? Or instead maybe these things have a social history and are created through cultural understandings.

Again this is exactly the kind of thinking behind eugenics and scientific racism. Are you sure you want to be advocating for this? If ethnicity and race are genetic then they are also biological. Do you want to be arguing that biological races exist?

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the scientific semantics. It isn't to say what we consider race to be non-biological, it's more that our definitions of race aren't something you can draw proper lines with and define with any strict definition.

Saying clearly "race isn't biological" in this discussion is using the common definition for race and making a false statement with it. What the rest of us consider to be race, or rather, racial differences is certainly determined by our DNA as it can't be determined by anything else. At the very least, in a thread about such tests like 23andme it is obvious what everyone means.

If you want to talk about scientific semantics, it's less that race is definitely a social-construct but more that our groupings for race is hilariously insufficient -- possibly to the point of it meaning nothing. I mean, look at the Splatoon in MK thread where people were arguing what makes someone "black". Of course, our understandings are too simplistic, but that isn't to say that it isn't controlled by our genetics.

You're going to find certain DNA from populations recently originating from certain areas on Earth. That's basically the purpose of these tests, to try and pinpoint our heritage.

Cocaloch

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the scientific semantics.

What scientific semantics? Again race isn't really a word scientists use. It's used by social scientists and humanists.

It isn't to say what we consider race to be non-biological, it's more that our definitions of race aren't something you can draw proper lines with and define with any strict definition.

Sure, I think some strict platonic definition isn't particularly helpful. I'd prefer a socially operative one based on what actually is going on when people use it. I don't think anything I've said in this thread is arguing for a strict definition of it at all actually.

Saying clearly "race isn't biological" in this discussion is using the common definition for race and making a false statement with it.

What's the false statement? That's not clear in the rest of this post.

What the rest of us consider to be race, or rather, racial differences is certainly determined by our DNA as it can't be determined by anything else.

What people in this thread are doing is taking certain genetic and phenotypical traits and essentiallizing them to race yes. I've never said I thought genes play no role whatsoever. One's race is absolutely not determined , extra emphasis because that's the key word, by ones's DNA though. The reason we associate those phenotypical traits with specific cultural groups is totally social because those groups only exist socially. Genes play a role in these phenotypes yes, but our understanding of how they are expressed and what that means socially, including grouping them, is clearly totally social.

At the very least, in a thread about such tests like 23andme it is obvious what everyone means.

Did you not see my first post? What I'm saying is what everyone means is a bad way to look at this. Race and ethnicity are not genetic even if the expression of certain genes plays a role in how we place people into categories.

If you want to talk about scientific semantics

I don't like it when people on GAF, and lay people generally, use the word semantics because it has become somewhat of a pejorative. The stakes here are very real. Understanding race as a scientific thing, and again I'm arguing against it being scientific, is the very fundamental premise of scientific racism. It's not a good thing. In a less problematic sense it's also blatantly positivistic.

it's less that race is definitely a social-construct but more that our groupings for race is hilariously insufficient -- possibly to the point of it meaning nothing.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. race is definitely a social construct. Ask 100 biologists if races exist within biology, at least 99 will say they don't.

And again this is more positivism. Race clearly means a lot because it plays a massive part in social interaction. Just because something isn't scientific doesn't mean it means nothing. Class isn't scientific, but that plays a huge role in social interaction as well.

I mean, look at the Splatoon in MK thread where people were arguing what makes someone "black". Of course, our understandings are too simplistic, but that isn't to say that it isn't controlled by our genetics.

The fact that people were arguing about cartoon squid/kids that don't have genetic material should be indicative of the fact that it isn't controlled by genetics. This is a social category.

You're going to find certain DNA from populations recently originating from certain areas on Earth.

You're going to find trends of certain genes appearing more frequently in certain places. That is it. It's a correlation between gene frequency and geographical location and people we associate with geographical location.

That's basically the purpose of these tests, to try and pinpoint our heritage.

Well the purpose of these tests is to make a quick buck off of people that have a problematic understanding of race and ethnicity. Look at the guy posting about this from a geneticist's perspective in this very thread.

Again none of this is cutting edge. This is how every contemporary scholar of race, and the vast number of other scholars whose work touches on race, that I know of thinks of the category.

Tizocc

Neo Member
I did it . I was 58 % native American 31 % European (mostly Spanish, Italian and irish), 4 % Arab and 8 % sub Saharan african . I was mostly surprised I was only about a third white. I thought I was just a mestizo which is just half and half.

Not

Banned
My grandma took one a couple years ago, and found out her mother was 100% Jewish. Since she had been adopted as a child, she had no clue for the first 88 years of her life. Apparently that makes me 1/8th Jewish.

Media

What scientific semantics? Again race isn't really a word scientists use. It's used by social scientists and humanists.

Sure, I think some strict platonic definition isn't particularly helpful. I'd prefer a socially operative one based on what actually is going on when people use it. I don't think anything I've said in this thread is arguing for a strict definition of it at all actually.

What's the false statement? That's not clear in the rest of this post.

What people in this thread are doing is taking certain genetic and phenotypical traits and essentiallizing them to race yes. I've never said I thought genes play no role whatsoever. One's race is absolutely not determined , extra emphasis because that's the key word, by ones's DNA though. The reason we associate those phenotypical traits with specific cultural groups is totally social because those groups only exist socially. Genes play a role in these phenotypes yes, but our understanding of how they are expressed and what that means socially, including grouping them, is clearly totally social.

Did you not see my first post? What I'm saying is what everyone means is a bad way to look at this. Race and ethnicity are not genetic even if the expression of certain genes plays a role in how we place people into categories.

I don't like it when people on GAF, and lay people generally, use the word semantics because it has become somewhat of a pejorative. The stakes here are very real. Understanding race as a scientific thing, and again I'm arguing against it being scientific, is the very fundamental premise of scientific racism. It's not a good thing. In a less problematic sense it's also blatantly positivistic.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. race is definitely a social construct. Ask 100 biologists if races exist, at least 99 will say they don't.

And again this is more positivism. Race clearly means a lot because it plays a massive part in social interaction. Just because something isn't scientific doesn't mean it means nothing. Class isn't scientific, but that plays a huge role in social interaction as well.

The fact that people were arguing about cartoon squid/kids that don't have genetic material should be indicative of the fact that it isn't controlled by genetics. This is a social category.

You're going to find trends of certain genes appearing more frequently in certain places. That is it. It's a correlation between gene frequency and geographical location and people we associate with geographical location.

Well the purpose of these tests is to make a quick buck off of people that have a problematic understanding of race and ethnicity. Look at the guy posting about this from a geneticist's perspective in this very thread.

Again none of this is cutting edge. This is how every contemporary scholar of race, and the vast number of other scholars whose work touches on race, that I know of thinks of the category.

Curious what you two would think of my situation: I was told my while life I'm Navajo, learned a lot of culture, grew up off rez, and have always claimed it. At 35, I want to do a test to see if my literal psychopath father was lying or not. If it comes back that I'm not Dine, but like Mediterranean or Mexican or something, would I still be Navajo/Dine`?

Cocaloch

Curious what you two would think of my situation: I was told my while life I'm Navajo, learned a lot of culture, grew up off rez, and have always claimed it. At 35, I want to do a test to see if my literal psychopath father was lying or not. If it comes back that I'm not Dine, but like Mediterranean or Mexican or something, would I still be Navajo/Dine`?

Well there are several different levels on which this works. The first is what you consider yourself. The second is what the Dine' would consider you. And the third is if non-Dine' would consider you Dine'.

For your own life I'd recommend mostly going by the first, but also not taking the test since it can't tell you that you aren't Dine' in a meaningful sense.

I whole disagree with genetic testing, race and ethnicity are socially constructed and not based on genetics at all. Culture and society are what determine race and ethnicity. I also think these tests (And also ancestry tests) are skewed towards people of European origin.

I'm not sure if you want my opinion or not. I don't think genetic testing should matter if you grew up with Navajo culture and community. There's genetic testing for indigenous people in Canada, to determine "Indian status," which has a bunch of different implications. If the blood quantum is not up to the "racial purity" of the government then that person doesn't receive "Indian status," despite that fact that person grow up in that community their whole life. It's a horrible and disgusting practice, that dehumanizes indigenous people.

If you want to read more about it: http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/indian-status-5-things-you-need-to-know-1.2744870

I wanted to do one after I had to went for business to the office of an Indian multinational and every Indian person was staring at me and months later a group of indian tourists were staring at me too and this indian hitchhiker the other day in the bus too , I guess Indians think I look Indian or something.

Media

Well there are several different levels on which this works. The first is what you consider yourself. The second is what the Dine' would consider you. And the third is if non-Dine' would consider you Dine'.

For your own life I'd recommend mostly going by the first, but also not taking the test since it can't tell you that you aren't Dine' in a meaningful sense.

I whole disagree with genetic testing, race and ethnicity are socially constructed and not based on genetics at all. Culture and society are what determine race and ethnicity. I also think these tests (And also ancestry tests) are skewed towards people of European origin.

I'm not sure if you want my opinion or not. I don't think genetic testing should matter if you grew up with Navajo culture and community. There's genetic testing for indigenous people in Canada, to determine "Indian status," which has a bunch of different implications. If the blood quantum is not up to the "racial purity" of the government then that person doesn't receive "Indian status," despite that fact that person grow up in that community their whole life. It's a horrible and disgusting practice, that dehumanizes indigenous people.

If you want to read more about it: http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/indian-status-5-things-you-need-to-know-1.2744870

You both make great points, thanks for responding. I just worry about living a lie. There's this whole thing where white as hell people claim to be Indian royalty and stuff that's annoying, and I don't want to do that.

I was raised off rez so I am not steeped in the culture (jaahn) but have a ton of friends from Dine` and other tribes (Yakima and Pueblo mostly) and I'm trying to learn the language since so many are just not and it's dying out which would be awful.

Maybe I won't get the test. I guess it would be only marks on paper and not what's in my soul.

Edit: I'm really passionate about saving the language because it's so beautiful and just evolves with the times. Good example: New York City used to be Kin Yot aah Dee's (I can never do the damned accents on my phone ugh they are unique) which means "Where the buildings stand tall." Since 2001 it's evolved into a memorial: Kin Naaldozi: Where the buildings fell

dabig2

My entire family took the ancestry tests and a couple other tests this past year. No big surprises for me really. Thankfully my family is genetically my family and I'm pretty much made up of what I expected knowing some of my family's history - ~60% W. African, ~25% European with half of that being from Spain/Portugal specifically, and ~12% Asian with a dash of Polynesian and Native American.

Izuna

Banned

I couldn't have made my point clearer, or at least, I hope someone else who can does.

My whole post was about semantics -- in that people use the word race to mean the phenotypes that are determined by our DNA (for the most part). We put these in categories, where typically skin colour is the main determining factor. That part is a social construct but in that definition, then yes, race is determined by our DNA.

The point about the squid cartoons is that "black" means skin of a certain colour. Other people wanted to talk about "afro people" and "afro features", which in my opinion is removed from any real purpose of anyone being identified as or self-identifying as black, since in this instance skin colour takes precedent. I even tried to make a point in that thread about one of the darkest tribes we know of being black despite not "African" any more than Europeans are -- and yet someone mentioned how that doesn't mean they are "black".

All of that is a mix of unscientific personal opinion, semantics, social etc. but it is the discussion we have when we take these tests.

Would you believe that when I was like, 14 or so, I asked a random black dude on a train who had some features like I did and asked him what his heritage he was? I mean, at that point I was trying to figure out half of my heritage. Ofc this dude just chuckled etc. but the point is, I wanted him to tell me something that 23andme is advertised for.

Of course, it isn't going to tell you where your great great great mother lived, but I for sure know that it isn't from East Africa or Central Asia.

The purpose of this? Meh. It shouldn't matter outside of our health, and we can already see what we look like, but no one is expecting any more than that.

--

Anyway, to clarify and tl;dr, I think most people know the race groups provided in census forms aren't at all something you can pinpoint to certain DNA combinations etc. But for phenotypes that we do have, where they might come from and wonder about our recent heritage, these tests are just merely okay for that stuff.

Top Bottom