• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parking outside of other peoples house.

Acyl

I'm in a very similar situation OP. My apartment only comes with 1 spot. My GF and I both have cars, so one of us parks in the spot, the other on the street (residential). The residential street parking has a system in place for these things. It's 2-hour parking 8am-6pm unless you have a permit (which you acquire if you own a house on the street).

We always have 1 car on the street starting around 6pm when one of us comes home from work, and leave in the morning around 8. If anyone left a note like that on my car I would burn it.

Then again, you seem to be taking 2 spots routinely according to the note so you should 100% be more considerate when you park, otherwise you may find your tires slashed. Also consider parking in slightly different spots on that street, even if you have problems with hills. The person living there has a right to be annoyed and communicate that with you, but they do not have a right to own the street parking.

So you still can't grasp the fact that if it's a public road ANYONE can park on it legally. You're not entitled to that space, your elderly mother is not entitled to it. It is a public road. You may not like it but too bad. It's not a case of being selfish at all. Either sort out a disabled bay or face the fact that people are not doing anything wrong by parking there.

I never said for a minute it is illegal. I fully grasp that it is legal. I do not believe anyone should be entitled to park on a public road personally. However just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't a dick move. If you park outside someones property then sorry but you are a straight out shit bag. Yes legally you are perfectly within your rights, but ya still a shit bag if you do it.

so why is it apparently not required to learn how to use them properly in order to get your license ��

oh come the F on... nobody is a perfect parker when they get their first license, especially parallel parking, and ESPECIALLY parallel parking on steep hills.

i really think you just need to communicate back to these people that you're new and you're not meaning to park like an asshole - personally i'd totally forgive that and i'd appreciate the candour.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Think a lot of people indeed have no context for UK street parking. If there are no resident parking restrictions for that time then you have every right to park there. Just don't take up two spaces.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it is a fair judgement it is an incredibly selfish act for other people to feel they have the right to put their wants above the person that lives in the house you are parking at. A typical I am having that, fuck you and everyone else attitude which seems to be epidemic with car owners.

Personally I would say yes I would like to see all street parking banned because cars parked cause obstructions on the road and at times turn 2 way roads into 1 way roads with huge jams as buses and other cars struggle to get past cars parked especially when there is a perfectly handy free empty carpark provided that no one uses cos they can't be arsed to cross the road and take an extra 30 secs to walk to their car.

...who the fuck has the "rights" to those few spots in front of a building of 200 apartments?

Okay.

jono51

Banned
Learn how to hill start asap OP. Doing one whilst parked is the easiest way to practice. You don't want to come to e.g. an unfamiliar junction and have to do one and be iffy on them

I never said for a minute it is illegal. I fully grasp that it is legal. I do not believe anyone should be entitled to park on a public road personally. However just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't a dick move. If you park outside someones property then sorry but you are a straight out shit bag. Yes legally you are perfectly within your rights, but ya still a shit bag if you do it.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Hissing Sid

Eh.

I think it's rude.

My neighbor has seven (yes, SEVEN) cars and only four spaces, so they park the other three around our cul de sac--including on the curb directly in front of our house. Sometimes they only leave two cars in their four spaces (one in the garage, one on the driveway), and park the other five around the neighborhood.

It's really annoying because once they park there, I often have to park a couple streets away if I get home late.

So, to me, that is rude. Just because it's legally "okay" doesn't mean it's not annoying as shit. I can bring my fist to your nose and be like I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU IT'S NOT ASSAULT, which is legally true, but it's still a dick move.

Now this I can sympathise with. Nobody wants to live next to the fucking mechanised Waltons.

And what's with the tits who choose to park almost their entire car on the pavement, leaving only the off-side wheels in the gutter and thereby forcing every poor fucker to have to go on the road to get around their shitheap? Mums with prams. Little kids. The elderly. All on the road. Everyone is inconvenienced.

What gives Twat features? Road not good enough ya?

steve9842016

Neo Member
Always remember to pull up as far as you can so more can fit behind if possible (to the driveway, etc). It is pretty shitty when someone parks halfway between the driveway and the other end of the property line effectively taking up 1 or 2 extra spots.

My parents house has some of the worst parking on the block. Lots of neighbors built in-law housing in the back and now rent them out, doubling the amount of cars on the street.

A few years ago I remember when one new neighbor moved into the in-law cottage next door, the property owners tried to make a 2nd driveway for her by just pouring a small strip of concrete on the other side of the property. I didn't even realize it was a "driveway" until I got a snarky note on my car one morning saying they'll have my car towed next time I parked in front of it (no car was in the 2nd driveway at the time I parked). Anyway, I knocked on the owners door and called their bluff as it clearly wasn't a permitted driveway (and neither was their cottage they built in the backyard). Never saw another note after that and never saw them try to use it as a driveway again.

Another neighbor across the street also used to put 3 cones out in front of their house so only they could park there. Don't know if they still do that, but I'm sure they do.

Thankfully parking isn't an issue where I'm at now.

Peccavi

Not sure why people keep saying, "It's LEGAL," in response to being told it's rude. Whether or not it's legal has no impact on rudeness, unless you consider everything legal not rude (in which case, Jesus Christ you're a giant asshole).

If you think that owning a house gives you the right to the public street in front of it, you are a shitbag too, only an ignorant, entitled one.

Not sure why people keep saying, "It's LEGAL," in response to being told it's rude. Whether or not it's legal has no impact on rudeness, unless you consider everything legal not rude (in which case, Jesus Christ you're a giant asshole).

I've lived in houses my entire life, never have I felt it's "rude" when someone parks in the public street infront of me. Even if it happens to inconvenience me, them's the breaks. It's not mine to claim.

E92 M3

Don't park in front of people's homes and if you do, at least do it right. While it's not technically illegal, respect the local rules of the neighborhood.

It's legal, it isn't rude. It's not bad manners to park outside someone's house. It just isn't. Not in the UK and not, I suspect, in most other places where parking is scarce.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Do you realize how ignorant you come across? A shit bag because I just so happen to not be able to find a spot in front of my own apartment building? I live in a building with over 130 apartments and one spot in front. Oh but I guess that spot should be left vacant at all times because no one wants to step on the toes of any of the 130 people that live in the building so fuck it, no one parks there.

This is so asinine and absurd.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I have plenty of an idea what I am talking about. I see it every fucking day. I see my road reduced to a 1 way street because arseholes refuse to use the provided free off road parking because it means they will have to do an extra 30 seconds walk to the car park rather than just step out and get in their car.

But then this is pointless because from my experience the majority of car owners are pretty much selfish arseholes anyway.

I have plenty of an idea what I am talking about. I see it every fucking day. I see my road reduced to a 1 way street because arseholes refuse to use the provided free off road parking because it means they will have to do an extra 30 seconds walk to the car park rather than just step out and get in their car.

But then this is pointless because from my experience the majority of car owners are pretty much selfish arseholes anyway.

You certainly don't come across as miserable and unreasonable.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Weird how many of you are afraid of having your vehicle damaged purposefully by people for legally parking somewhere and yet don't feel the need to put a small investment into security and protection of said vehicle.

You're expecting people to follow a moral code that only you subscribe to. Good luck with that. For most people, there is no difference between the car park and the street and they'll take whatever suits them best and why shouldn't they? The car park is probably overflow anyway. If the council didn't want people to park on the street, it'd have painted double yellow lines on it.

If you haven't even bothered to get the space outside your house designated as for disabled people, then I can't see what grounds you have to complain.

Well, since you're taking up two spaces, I'm going to say what everyone else has said and work on your parking to take only 1. I get you're new, but that really doesn't mean much. Besides, it shows that you have something you need to work on.

Other than that, you're not doing anything wrong, but it may not be a bad idea to not park there anymore, or at least not as often. Who knows what they might try to do to your car.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Don't park in front of people's homes and if you do, at least do it right. While it's not technically illegal, respect the local rules of the neighborhood.

I think this depends on the context. I look at a typical tract home complex, with big lawns, two car garages and driveways, there’s a weird combination there - the house owners HAVE parking. They don’t need to park in front of their lawn. Maybe you’re visiting the folks across the street, maybe you need to park there. So from your perspective, there’s no victim here at all. And really, those homeowners have no reason to be miffed unless your vehicle is like a smelly Winnebago.

But then streets and houses get smaller, closer together like my neighborhood. I have a narrow driveway and a single car garage that I can barely fit my compact car into. Several houses on my block don’t have garages or driveways, so the spot in front of their house is sort of essential to them. I don’t use my garage, because the garage is full of junk. So I park outside my house. I’m on a funny dogleg block, with AMPLE parking. Rare that I ever have to park anywhere EXCEPT right in front. And when I do, I can always park on the same block. During Fourth of July fireworks when our neighborhood becomes a MOB SCENE, I sometimes wait for a family or old people to drive by and tell them they can block my garage and park there.

Now, I used to live in the marina in San Francisco at the opposite end of the parking spectrum. It was not unusual to drive around looking for parking for AN HOUR when you got home. Still true. In that scenario, it’s every man for himself. There’s no rules. No territory. Just find a spot and cling to it for dear life.

Yeah but it's still a dick move to park in front of a house that isn't yours all the time.

Be a good citizen and neighbour, don't be that guy who starts wheeling out the legal technicalities.
Fuck off

There is zero parking where I live when evening approaches. The only way I can park my car is to park in a neighborhood about a mile away. I do not feel bad at all for doing this. It is public street parking, so I have every right to use it. I dont need to waste an extra hour looking for parking just to make a specific neighborhood happy.

OP: Learn how to park
Neighbors: Get fucked it's a public street

I live in the North East US in one of the snowiest cities in the country. In my old house, we had street parking. I used to shovel out my spot every day during the winter, and inevitably, y'know, someone would take it after I left. Sure, it sucked, I had to drive around with a shovel at all times, but those are the breaks... You live on a public street, it's not private property it's public, and so, it's open to the public. You've shoveled out a spot and I know it sucks that you have to shovel out two spots now, but w/e, buck up and do it. If you're handicapped or elderly or something, then that's one thing, but if you're an able bodied person, it's how it goes in the winter time.

My parents had a neighbor who used to freak the fuck out when someone parked in front of her house... But my parents street has a winter parking ban, so you'd have to move the cars from one side of the street to the other. My elderly parents had my sister's old car at their house, and it was parked in the street, and so before storms, they'd go and move it to the other side. Now, after the storm, I'd usually go over to my folks and shovel/snowblow them out. This frumpy old bag across the street comes out and starts bitching to me about how I parked in front of her house, and I'm like "... I didn't park in front of your house," and she yelled like "that's your car isn't it???" and I was like "no... it's not my car, I dont' even fucking live here I'm shoveling out my elderly parents..." She was just pissed that people parked in front of her house and the plow couldn't plow in front of her house because of it, but it's like, wtf do you want, it's a public street and that's the law in winter.

Still, because I'm a good person, I went over and plowed out in front of her hosue with my snow blower. But fuck her.

People park in front of my house now when there's a sports event down the street from me, and w/e, it's public property. I don't pay for that area, I don't own it, it's not my right to say who can and can't park there, and I shouldn't get upset about it when the public uses public property.

Yes it is a fair judgement it is an incredibly selfish act for other people to feel they have the right to put their wants above the person that lives in the house you are parking at. A typical I am having that, fuck you and everyone else attitude which seems to be epidemic with car owners

Nobody feels they have a right, they do have a right. It's public property. You don't own the property there, and everybody else pays the same taxes for it as you do, so if it's zoned for parking then they do have that right to park there.

If you're disabled or something, then I'd understand that, but then you should get a disabled permit outside the house which at least in the US and my state, they grant almost immediately.

The same you'd have to be like "Fuck you, it's legal, I'll park where I like" I guess.

What else should someone be thinking when they are trying to find a parking space other than "it's legal"? A douchebag is someone who takes up multiple spaces, or parks in a handicap space when they aren't. Parking in a space where I am legally allowed to park, and which makes it the most convenient for what I'm trying to accomplish, is perfectly acceptable for any reasonable person. Someone thinking they have some sort of right to a public street, or some sort of right to not have to look out their kitchen window and not see a strange car, are the unreasonable ones.

I own a home in a busy part of Seattle and we have a one car driveway but own two cars. Our nicer car is in the driveway and the other car is parked on the street. Sometimes we’re able to park in front of the house, sometimes I have to park it farther away because that’s the only thing available. I don’t think I have any more right to park in front my house than anyone else does, it’s public land that I don’t own.

Draft

Finding a parking spot when you live in the city is already tough. Seeing two halves of a parking spot on either end of a car is downright infuriating. That's not always the fault of that car, but sometimes it is, and that is a great offense.

You are new to driving, but please consider parking correctly and taking up only one space a Very Important Thing and learn to do it immediately.

slit

I think it's rude to think you have more of a right to a public road than anyone else simply because that is where you decided to plop yourself down on that road.

I used to live in a terraced house with a baby and whilst it's frustrating when people park in front of your house it's fair game. I always try to avoid parking in front of people's houses now anytime I can.

On the flip side this person seems super passive aggressive about it all especially when you consider OP only passed their test recently so it's not been a long standing issue.

E92 M3

I think this depends on the context. I look at a typical tract home complex, with big lawns, two car garages and driveways, there’s a weird combination there - the house owners HAVE parking. They don’t need to park in front of their lawn. Maybe you’re visiting the folks across the street, maybe you need to park there. So from your perspective, there’s no victim here at all. And really, those homeowners have no reason to be miffed unless your vehicle is like a smelly Winnebago.

But then streets and houses get smaller, closer together like my neighborhood. I have a narrow driveway and a single car garage that I can barely fit my compact car into. Several houses on my block don’t have garages or driveways, so the spot in front of their house is sort of essential to them. I don’t use my garage, because the garage is full of junk. So I park outside my house. I’m on a funny dogleg block, with AMPLE parking. Rare that I ever have to park anywhere EXCEPT right in front. And when I do, I can always park on the same block. During Fourth of July fireworks when our neighborhood becomes a MOB SCENE, I sometimes wait for a family or old people to drive by and tell them they can block my garage and park there.

Now, I used to live in the marina in San Francisco at the opposite end of the parking spectrum. It was not unusual to drive around looking for parking for AN HOUR when you got home. Still true. In that scenario, it’s every man for himself. There’s no rules. No territory. Just find a spot and cling to it for dear life.

Well, yeah every neighborhood is different - but in the OP's case he is purposely avoiding certain spots and inconveniencing some members of the community.

Note: There is nothing rude about parking in front of somebody's house, ever. Nobody has any claim on the public street.

You want to park in front of your house all the time, you buy a house with a fucking driveway. Otherwise, suck it.

I have dealt with so many assholes in my life who think they own the street in front of their house. Look, moron, I'd be parking in front of or closer to my place if there had been a goddamn space available. It's not as if I fucking like walking further to get to my house.

And if somebody is learning to drive and having issues with certain spots, that's fucking fine. They'll get more confident before too long.

The person who wrote that note is a horrible cunt.

Menchi

Its not ok just because it's legal. It's ok because it's not rude.

I don't know, guess I just like to be concerned for others before myself, but ehh, you do you.

What else should someone be thinking when they are trying to find a parking space other than "it's legal"? A douchebag is someone who takes up multiple spaces, or parks in a handicap space when they aren't. Parking in a space where I am legally allowed to park, and which makes it the most convenient for what I'm trying to accomplish, is perfectly acceptable for any reasonable person. Someone thinking they have some sort of right to a public street, or some sort of right to not have to look out their kitchen window and not see a strange car, are the unreasonable ones.

It's legal, no denying it. I just think parking outside of someones house, knowing they'll probably want to park outside their own place, is pretty selfish. I don't think it is unreasonable to be a little bit considerate of people living in the house.

I've visited countless friends and had to park a good bit away to avoid parking outside of someones house, I just think it's the decent thing to do. I'd rather inconvenience myself instead of someone else.

If you're disabled or something, then I'd understand that, but then you should get a disabled permit outside the house which at least in the US and my state, they grant almost immediately.

I do not live in the US, in the UK the best you can get is the council to paint road markings on the road outside your house (at a cost of 400 dollars). These markings are NOT enforceable they are purely "advisory" and drivers are free to ignore them and park there anyway. I have often considered doing it (however cost would be difficult and not 100% sure circumstances fit the requirements), But judging by the posters in this thread it seems pretty pointless cos all that seems to matter to car owners is their own personal convenience.

I don't know, guess I just like to be concerned for others before myself, but ehh, you do you.

It's legal, no denying it. I just think parking outside of someones house, knowing they'll probably want to park outside their own place, is pretty selfish. I don't think it is unreasonable to be a little bit considerate of people living in the house.

I've visited countless friends and had to park a good bit away to avoid parking outside of someones house, I just think it's the decent thing to do. I'd rather inconvenience myself instead of someone else.

What makes you think you are doing them a favor? Or being considerate to them? Not everybody thinks they have some inherent right to the space of public street outside of their house. I've never felt this way in any home I've even lived in. That the street happens to be outside of your house is entirely a coincidence. It doesn't make the street somehow more yours, more so than the piece of public street 3 houses down or a block away. I guess that's where the disconnect is. I've never thought that way, and I would consider it completely unreasonable.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I do not live in the US, in the UK the best you can get is the council to paint road markings on the road outside your house (at a cost of 400 dollars). These markings are NOT enforceable they are purely "advisory" and drivers are free to ignore them and park there anyway. I have often considered doing it (however cost would be difficult and not 100% sure circumstances fit the requirements), But judging by the posters in this thread it seems pretty pointless cos all that seems to matter to car owners is their own personal convenience.

It would inform people that someone disabled lives there, which at this point, no one even knows.

Korgill

My house sits at the end of the road where the street is literally one house deep. Because of how short it is, the city (or whoever) made it so no parking is allowed in front of my house. According to some people here, I shouldn't be allowed to park anywhere else because it's too rude of me. The closest spot that wouldn't be in front of someone else's house is about a mile and half away by a park.

What is your solution?

Yup. Better to just sit around complaining about a problem that you've taken zero effort to fix because you've convinced yourself it won't matter anyway. Path of least resistance.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Yup. Better to just sit around complaining about a problem that you've taken zero effort to fix because you've convinced yourself it won't matter anyway. Path of least resistance.

Obviously the easier solution, for which they have been advocating, is to eliminate ALL street parking.

It would inform people that someone disabled lives there, which at this point, no one even knows.

Well the prevailing attitude seems to be "if it is legal then I can fucking do it" I can only surmise that since it would be perfectly legal for anyone to completely ignore the markings and park there then you would do it.

Menchi

What makes you think you are doing them a favor? Or being considerate to them? Not everybody thinks they have some inherent right to the space of public street outside of their house. I've never felt this way in any home I've even lived in. That the street happens to be outside of your house is entirely a coincidence. It doesn't make the street somehow more yours, more so than the piece of public street 3 houses down or a block away. I guess that's where the disconnect is. I've never thought that way, and I would consider it completely unreasonable.

Well, it's pretty obvious that people would rather park closer to their own property... However, don't put words in my mouth. I never said anyone had any more right, what I -did- say is that it is considerate to think of the people living in the house you're parked outside of, and maybe take into account they'd probably prefer to park closer to home.

Obviously, they don't have any legal, or indeed, even moral right to that spot, but to me, it's inconsiderate to just think "Whatever, legal, don't care"

Maybe it is a regional thing, in the UK, as I've always known it this way.

slit

Well the prevailing attitude seems to be "if it is legal then I can fucking do it" I can only surmise that since it would be perfectly legal for anyone to completely ignore the markings and park there then you would do it.

Wrong the prevailing attitude is the plot of land in front of where your house sits is not the homeowners by default or that they should expect any special entitlement to it. A sign, even if legally unenforceable, tells people what's up. Nobody knows they are taking a spot for a disabled person unless you also think clairvoyance should be prerequisite to street parking.

Note: There is nothing rude about parking in front of somebody's house, ever. Nobody has any claim on the public street.

You want to park in front of your house all the time, you buy a house with a fucking driveway. Otherwise, suck it.

I have dealt with so many assholes in my life who think they own the street in front of their house. Look, moron, I'd be parking in front of or closer to my place if there had been a goddamn space available. It's not as if I fucking like walking further to get to my house.

And if somebody is learning to drive and having issues with certain spots, that's fucking fine. They'll get more confident before too long.

The person who wrote that note is a horrible cunt.

Meh, strong disagree.

In BC, residential parking is the norm - if you don't live on the street, you can't park there.

Then, even if you do, you might not be able to.

In my municipality, you only have the right to use residential street parking if you live in a home zoned as a single family dwelling.

Meaning, any tenants living in a suite, or anybody renting a room in a house split into multiple units, can fuck right off [those have to have off-street parking / garages / multiple driveway parking for those people to park in].

What happens here quite often, is those renters in those multiple unit homes use their legal garage / driveway parking for setting up mini carpentry / car-fixing shops - and park their six redneck vehicles on the street [which is fully fucking illegal].

Then us homeowners, who are the sole fucking financiers of the muncipality's entire fucking funding stream, can't even park in front of our own fucking houses.

edit: but this is the UK we're talking about, where it sounds like no such parking rules exist.

seems like manners and decorum should prevail, in which case a simple conversation would fix this entire issue.

Top Bottom