• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

Miyamoto's right.

And he's honest about it too, even making sure to point out that the 3DS had similar problems at launch.

PSV has been out for 2/3 months only...I'm not worried about it yet. Just like the 3DS, we just have to give it time to get on point. This E3 will probably have a ton of releases for it!

We knew big games were coming for the 3DS, We don't for the Vita. That's a big difference.

The problem, at least for me, is that Nintendo's endless stream of Mario and mascot games aren't "big" anymore. To me they're like Madden and CoD are to other people. I shouldnt have bought the 3DS in the first place, but I was hoping for more than I got. If third party support starts to impress in the future, I'll more than likely buy another (hopefully revised with better screens).

BurntPork

Banned
It did, with Nintendo games we knew were coming. Sony just doesn't have a strong enough first party to back it up.

It's not that they don't have a strong enough first-party, but rather that they don't fully utilize it on handhelds. They treat Vita like a second-class citizen, and the market follows suit.

CFMOORE!

the number of people who don't bother to even read the first page of a thread where shit gets SUPER clarified and then post a response as if they know what is going on is ridiculous in the Gaming side.

I knew it, I was going to ask if you has a Apple device, seems like these are the people who want these great portables to die, its all about the games man.

It's the same stuff we dealt with as kids - evolved. Systems War never changes. The players look different but the game is still the same.

People really like to rip into Vita for not having games. It has one of the biggest launch lineups I can remember and a lot of good choices as well. It may not have the defining game yet but I'm not too worried about that. Right now Vita needs a price drop to $199 for WiFi and a game/mem card bundled in at that price.

I knew it, I was going to ask if you has a Apple device, seems like these are the people who want these great portables to die, its all about the game man.

I do my hardcore gaming on PC or console, portables I just want to fit my lifestyle. I consider dedicated portable play very socially antiquated i.e. child's play only.

But if you like the games why not buy one? Nintendo games go and in hand with the hardware.

I don't...more of a classic Nintendo fan..

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
We knew big games were coming for the 3DS, We don't for the Vita. That's a big difference.

It would be interesting to have seen what happened to the 3DS with a milder price cut - i guess that's more for "in Japan" though where Monster Hunter is the third leg, not Kid Icarus.

The price is also still a factor - it's almost impossible to NOT recommended the 3DS to anyone with even a passing interest. It's 14980 yen, 11,800 yen if you go second hand in some places and, in Chameleon Club during Golden Week, 9,999 yen. Plus the current line up.

The Vita on the other hand, whilst second hand it's hitting 18,980 in a few places (extra 1000 for 3G) you're still looking at a fair bit higher before you get to adding any games. The machine -does- have games of note, but if you offer "console" experiences that exist on consoles (not true for all the software) then you are narrowing your target audience down a fair bit.

Miyamoto isn't particularly saying anything here at all - the current mix of software and hardware isn't selling all that well - that makes is a pretty week product *now* and as he also points out the 3DS had the same issues then it's possible to turn things around with the right pricing and the right software (please do not jump down the next rabbit hole here....)

Kazerei

Banned
Just link directly to the EDGE interview for further context: http://www.edge-online.com/news/miyamoto-vita-needs-games

Thankyou.

Vita sales have slumped, particularly in Japan, where it has frequently been outsold by the ageing Wii and even its own predecessor, PSP.

This isn't true. There have only been two weeks when Wii outsold Vita, hardware-wise.

"When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

"We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

Yup.

Apath

I don't really see the combination of software and hardware that really makes a very strong product
I agree. The Vita's potential is very high, but there really aren't any games exploiting that right now.

It's that quote that gets me really excited for the WiiU launch.

that's true, i'm also hoping that their 1st party launch lineup is strong. but wiiU faces a problem that their handhelds never faced: consistent 3rd party support. we'll see how that goes in a year or two. still, i'm definitely interested in seeing how they try to shake things up.

pramath

Banned
Just link directly to the EDGE interview for further context: http://www.edge-online.com/news/miyamoto-vita-needs-games

OT, but I really hate people that make a blog post about a blog post, then proceed to post it around for free hits.

here is the source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/miyamoto-vita-needs-games
Thanks.
That's not my blog, I just happened to find this there, so I linked to it.
Original EDGE link is now in the OP

Thanks.

Why even keep the blog in the post.

It doesn't direct source, and it doesn't paint a clear picture of what miyamoto said.

-edit

ah, you changed it again, good show

I love how because its Miyamoto saying it makes it okay and he is right. Let someone else say it and its "LOL WAT?" or "Tool" or "LOL DIS FoOl DonOt KNow WAt He TALk AbOUt". Too many hypocrites

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Thanks.

Take any "news" at n4g with a giant grain of salt, which is where I'm sure you pulled this from. 99% of posts there are just hit-baiting "articles."

I love how because its Miyamoto saying it makes it okay and he is right. Let someone else say it and its "LOL WAT?" or "Tool" or "LOL DIS FoOl DonOt KNow WAt He TALk AbOUt". Too many hypocrites

He's basically saying "what happened to us is happening to them"

which is what is happening

so...

The system has some very good games right now on it, whats with people saying it doesnt have anything, I dont understand this.

Haunted

0.jpg

Not really, though. He just says that the Vita needs more compelling games, and I think that's the majority opinion right now.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Maybe it's because it is ok and because he is right.

But I guess that's just me, a hypocrite.

Patapwn

Only he isn't. You should read past the OP.

Yeah, he actually did. I know nintendo people are going overtime on spin but Mr. Moto called the vita a weak product. And the additional bits about the 3ds woes are merely stating "Our product is now strong while are competition's product is weak"

Whether or not oneself agrees with him is up to opinion. But lets call a spade a spade

Omikaru

Considering I'm playing PSP games on my Vita right now, I can't say he's wrong. It's not a very strong product, and it's going to take some damn fine software to change that. I bought it for P4 Golden, and Lumines is keeping me busy on the Vita games front, but in reality most of my time on the system has been spent playing P3P and other PSP games.

On a similar note, I'm still playing DS games on my 3DS more than 3DS games so... Yeah.

OmegaZero

I love how people don't even read what he's saying because he's Miyamoto.

gogogow

No. Any Gaffer who says the same thing and I would agree.

Medalion

Banned
I like the fact people jumping to the fact because Miyamoto admits 3DS didn't do so well it's suddenly ok to call Vita a bad product too

In HIS opinion, not everyone here agrees

Top Bottom