• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

I am very disappointed as well as someone new to the game and wanted to track my grimoires and lore reveals with progression.

I get the removal though. This isn't a fee based game, and maintaining servers and logic hooks for what is effectively now an obsolete experience with the reset button and population transferring to the sequel. It makes sense, but it sucks.

Not implementing them into a game codex was a mistake that wont be forgotten. So aggravating that I keep getting pop-ups reminding me to visit the app or website for exposition that no longer exists. They really handled this transition about as poorly as they could.

Shame as they could have really drew back audiences this year in the lead up to D2 by taking a bit of time with an update. A final farewell mission with a wink and nod to the sequel, all while unhooking the servers gracefully and implementing the grimoire database(inspire players to collect them for a dumb cosmetic freebie in the sequel). But that is just my marketing sense talking.

I responded up above that while official support on the Destiny app and Bungie.net are gone, Bungie are maintaining the API to support the grimoire and item management.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Here is a question as someone new...How does element damage work?

The game explains none of it really. It's difficult to test advantages on enemies through trial/error in-game(swapping weapons in menu is a bit of a pain in a firefight) and I feel a bit lost as to how I should be approaching elements on weapons. Ignore outside of Raids? Certain species have a general affinity? Just totally randomized based on each individual foe? Some basic tips on why I should care about Solar vs Arc between two largely identical weapons as an example.

I responded up above that while official support on the Destiny app and Bungie.net are gone, Bungie are maintaining the API to support the grimoire and item management.

I did see and am appreciative. The item manager is nice(though at this point I am looking to just see the content and move onto the sequel).

Ishtar is great, but I feel kind of aimless just ticking through grimoires. The unlock progression is lost and thus so is context somewhat. The name of each card flashes so fast on-screen I miss it most of the time, so I am left just kind of wading through or deciding to dedicate a lot of time just reading it all.

Still glad there are efforts to compile it all regardless for sure.

Destiny 1: Some PvE bad guys have shields of a specific element. Matching elemental attacks (guns, abilities) will take the shield down faster. There is a modifier called "match game" that can show up in heroic strikes or nightfalls that greatly penalizes you for mismatched elements, and occasionally specific enemies have it applied to them outside of this (major sword knights during Skywatch "enemies move against each other" event). There are also "____ burn" modifiers that amplify all damage of that element, incoming and outgoing.

Destiny 2:
All elemental damage is equally effective for removing shields, but matching elements cause the collapsing shield to explode, damaging the shield's owner and those around them. See also burns/prism modifier.

Number45

The game explains none of it really. It's difficult to test advantages on enemies through trial/error in-game(swapping weapons in menu is a bit of a pain in a firefight) and I feel a bit lost as to how I should be approaching elements on weapons. Ignore outside of Raids? Certain species have a general affinity? Just totally randomized based on each individual foe? Some basic tips on why I should care about Solar vs Arc between two largely identical weapons as an example.
Some enemies are weak to an element, and shielded enemies are much easier to take down with an equivalent element. Modifiers can make them a requirement in some activities. In all other activities they're not really relevant.

I did see and am appreciative. The item manager is nice(though at this point I am looking to just see the content and move onto the sequel).

Ishtar is great, but I feel kind of aimless just ticking through grimoires. The unlock progression is lost and thus so is context somewhat. The name of each card flashes so fast on-screen I miss it most of the time, so I am left just kind of wading through or deciding to dedicate a lot of time just reading it all.

Still glad there are efforts to compile it all regardless for sure.
Aside from story missions there's not a great deal of order to the way that grimoire is discovered in game, but I agree it's a shame that it's not available for people that are experiencing the content for the first time.

NeOak

Destiny 1: Some PvE bad guys have shields of a specific element. Matching elemental attacks (guns, abilities) will take the shield down faster. There is a modifier called "match game" that can show up in heroic strikes or nightfalls that greatly penalizes you for mismatched elements, and occasionally specific enemies have it applied to them outside of this (major sword knights during Skywatch "enemies move against each other" event). There are also "____ burn" modifiers that amplify all damage of that element, incoming and outgoing.

Destiny 2:
All elemental damage is equally effective for removing shields, but matching elements cause the collapsing shield to explode, damaging the shield's owner and those around them. See also burns/prism modifier.

lol wut

Well that sucks. Now just use any weapon, no penalty for using a different element. There goes something that added a need to plan for and worry.

Oh cool, thanks! What do the q97%, q88% etc mean?

Quality, which means % of the maximum status the gear can get. 97% quality means the stats are up to 97% of the maximum it could get if blessed by RNG.

Anything above 95% is good tbh.

Slythe

I'm extremely LTTP, but I started playing D1 this past week on PS4 in anticipation of the PC release of D2.

I'm really enjoying the game. Level 28 Hunter, light level 158. This weekend I wrapped up story missions for Vanilla Story and The Dark Below, and I'm almost done with House of Wolves.

My question is this: if I want to do the Vault of Glass and Crota's End before jumping into The Take King, what are my best options for finding teammates? I've heard of LFG so I was going to try that, but I understand it might be extremely barren at this point.

LiK

I'm extremely LTTP, but I started playing D1 this past week on PS4 in anticipation of the PC release of D2.

I'm really enjoying the game. Level 28 Hunter, light level 158. This weekend I wrapped up story missions for Vanilla Story and The Dark Below, and I'm almost done with House of Wolves.

My question is this: if I want to do the Vault of Glass and Crota's End before jumping into The Take King, what are my best options for finding teammates? I've heard of LFG so I was going to try that, but I understand it might be extremely barren at this point.

Yea, LFG or maybe hope someone here still plays it.

Came back to this game in anticipation of D2 on PC. I needed a Destiny fix, didn't want to start D2 now just to scrap all progress when it launches in a month on PC, so decided to dig into The Taken King and Rise of Iron since I quit before they launched. VERY fun! Currently working towards an exotic sword. But holy crap is this game lacking players for Strike playlists. Gonna have to make sure I do those at peak times only I guess.

Also... where is Xur? I'm terrified Bungie may have made him D2 only but... surely they wouldn't be that cruel. Would they? I have like 50 strange coins. Heck, my engrams keep decrypting into strange coins. Don't tell me they're worthless =(

NeOak

Came back to this game in anticipation of D2 on PC. I needed a Destiny fix, didn't want to start D2 now just to scrap all progress when it launches in a month on PC, so decided to dig into The Taken King and Rise of Iron since I quit before they launched. VERY fun! Currently working towards an exotic sword. But holy crap is this game lacking players for Strike playlists. Gonna have to make sure I do those at peak times only I guess.

Also... where is Xur? I'm terrified Bungie may have made him D2 only but... surely they wouldn't be that cruel. Would they? I have like 50 strange coins. Heck, my engrams keep decrypting into strange coins. Don't tell me they're worthless =(

Xur still comes to D1.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Also newish to Destiny 1 and am working through Rise of Iron right now. (So far I prefer this game to the sequel) but am really saddened at the lack of strike matching myself as someone wanting to co-op for quests and loot. Add me if you want to play PSN=NoDepth

Xur was tucked away in a back-corner of the Reef social space last weekend(not the tower), so unless he moves around each Friday, expect to visit him there.

Skittles

Also newish to Destiny 1 and am working through Rise of Iron right now. (So far I prefer this game to the sequel) but am really saddened at the lack of strike matching myself as someone wanting to co-op for quests and loot. Add me if you want to play PSN=NoDepth

Xur was tucked away in a back-corner of the Reef social space last weekend(not the tower), so unless he moves around each Friday, expect to visit him there.
whats your level/timezone? I'm looking for players too

Xur still comes to D1.

Woohoo! I'll have to hunt around for him. He should be available now, right? Unless my memory about his visiting times is wrong... EDIT: Found him near the Speaker! Yay!

Will add you as a friend, thanks! I'm Chickwich on PSN, so feel free to add me if anyone else on GAF is looking to keep this game alive a little longer =)

So after a week, I finally got internet back.

Now I have to:

• Find an LFG group to do Nightfall
  • Find an LFG group to do Trials
  • Find an LFG group to do te raid
  • Find a sword to commit seppuku when all the above fail

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Who thought it was fucking good idea to take out connection meters in PVP? We just got destroyed by a group who was obviously lag switching or some shit.

Slythe

Add me on PSN - slythe93

I just leveled my Hunter to 40, 204 light. I'm trying to run through strikes and maybe even mess with the Raids (although I've never done them).

Skittles

At lvl 35 but can hit 40 at any time due to the 15 bounties I have completed. Let's try and do some raids sometime this week. We have 2 people so far.

Are alot of people still playing this? After playing D2 I really want to give D1 a shot. Is the community for endgame content dead like people say?

Monocle

Where the hell is Xur? Been looking for him for like an hour. He isn't near the Speaker like I've heard, unless I'm blind.

Fuck this tbh. He should be easy to find when you want to.

Edit: Wait, now I'm reading on the Bungie forums that he leaves Sunday morning? Could've sworn I saw him at the Reef late last Sunday. Weird.

Lork

I'm playing this game for the first time and having a really hard time finding people to play with, but it looks like there are others in the same predicament here at least. My PSN name is Clorfhanger if anyone wants to add me.

Really though, it would be easier to organize groups using Discord. Is the Discord server still around? The link in the OP is dead.

Teggy

Is there a more casual DGAF XBOX clan looking for more members? I want to do nightfall and raids but just don't have unlimited time.

Edit: oops, this is the D1 thread?

theRizzle

I'll toss my name into the hat of people still working through D1 and looking for a game. If anyone is looking for someone to do strikes/raids with, add me. (PSN: TheSuperVillain)

I'll be playing quite a bit this week/weekend.

I booted up Destiny 1 today for the first time in awhile and found every Crucible mode except for one (the one with the vehicles) is stuck behind a "Rise of Iron" expansion pay wall.

How is this fair? I have the Taken King Destiny 1 collection version after also buying the original game.

I checked prices for Rise of Iron and found it's still $30 !?!?!

So I have to pay $30 to play different Crucible modes for a game I bought twice already?

Seriously?

I booted up Destiny 1 today for the first time in awhile and found every Crucible mode except for one (the one with the vehicles) is stuck behind a "Rise of Iron" expansion pay wall.

How is this fair? I have the Taken King Destiny 1 collection version after also buying the original game.

I checked prices for Rise of Iron and found it's still $30 !?!?!

So I have to pay $30 to play different Crucible modes for a game I bought twice already?

Seriously?

That sucks.

It's been on sale a few time. Maybe take a time out til it is again.

DGAF_2016_2grimoire_01-1.png
DGAF_2016_2grimoire_03-1.png

DGAF_2016_04.jpg

LBUOvZW.jpg
GL.jpg
DGAF_2016_21.jpg
PvoXNyv.jpg

Bg9KnJ.gif

Third year of Destiny, and DGAF....we've come a long way. Here, have some Year 1 nostalgia :p

FyO8Bxz.jpg

Invite to DGAF discord. Quote to see it.

Discord link?

Lazslo

So far Destiny 2 has been a great experience. I love the all the relatively small quality of life improvements Bungie has made. The Mini Map and Fast Travel ability has changed the way I play the game for the better. Weirdly- with all the fun new additions something I can't explain or pinpoint is missing. I loved Destiny 1 and I'm really enjoying Destiny 2- I just feel like something doesn't motivate me the same way Destiny 1 did A huge factor, as mostly a Solo-player, is the exclusion of Bounties. I love Bounties in Destiny 1- It give me a purpose or direction in Destiny and so far the "Milestones" just don't feel the same way.

Also- Where are all the hidden, little secrets, like hidden bosses or the fucking Black Spindle type missions in Destiny 2? I love all those hidden gems tucked away in Destiny 1. I have absolute faith in Luke Smith and Marky-Mark Earworthy and from what I remember they said in a Podcast -Aspects similar to the Spindle mission would be included in Destiny 2- I hope they were referring to the "secret, hidden mission with an amazing reward" part- not the "Lets add a fucking annoying timer and make it annoyingly hard" part. Overall- I love Bungie, Destiny and forgetting about reality for an hour or two while I play this game.

Anyone still playing Destiny 1 on PS4? I'm still waiting for D2 on PC to release so I went back to D1 for a bit, playing a Nightstalker as I never did try that when TTK came out. If anyone sees this, I could use some help with the Court of Oryx quest.

lazyguy

Me and a friend recently jumped in on ps4 and are trying the vault of glass raid with people who are willing to help us and allow us to figure out things by ourselves.

NeOak

Me and a friend recently jumped in on ps4 and are trying the vault of glass raid with people who are willing to help us and allow us to figure out things by ourselves.
You'd need a fireteam full of people that haven't done the raid at all in the past 3 years in order to "figure out things by ourselves".

lazyguy

I am one of those people. Lemme know when yall want to try

Lol well there you go. I'll Pm you.
I understand most people finished the game but I imagine there are people willing to tag along and kill stuff and just hang back while newbies try to figure stuff out. That's not to crazy right?

I've done the VoG many times in year 1, but that sounds fun. Shoot me a PM, and if we can get a fireteam together at a good time then I'd be happy to help.

NeOak

Lol well there you go. I'll Pm you.
I understand most people finished the game but I imagine there are people willing to tag along and kill stuff and just hang back while newbies try to figure stuff out. That's not to crazy right?

Not crazy. If you find the people to do it, have fun. Discovering the raid was awesome.

While we're at it, I've never played Kings Fall or Wrath of the Machine, and I wouldn't mind getting to experience those before Destiny 2 launches if anyone wants to Sherpa we through em

Top Bottom