• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes achievements LEAKED! (SPOILER ALERT)

I fear for anyone who hasn't played Peace Walker, this game seems very reliant on the knowledge of people having previously played a handheld spinoff =/

The game does include a "Backstory" which I believe is said to cover the events of Peace Walker and everything else up to that point. I think the characters, Chico and Paz (of Peace Walker), will be focused on to a certain extent, however it seems like the primary goal of Ground Zeroes is to lead the player into a new story in The Phantom Pain.

The best analogy I can think of the game is this.

Imagine if Kojima took the Virtuous Mission from MGS3 and packaged it as 'Metal Gear Solid 3: Virtuous Mission'. In order to stretch the length of the experience you would find doctors who looked like Sokolov around the area, but weren't. To add content you are given several trials. "Finish the Virtuous Mission only using the MK22", "Finish the Virtuous Mission in under 5 minutes", "Finish the Virtuous Mission mirrored", "Finish the Virtuous Mission collecting the 7 hidden cassette tapes". Then Kojima included the first chapter of the Snake Ape Escape mini game to also pad the experience. $40.

I really feel like Ground Zeroes is going to be that, albeit slightly longer. Probably 3 hours worth of meaningful content. And the onus remains with Kojima to prove me wrong, as it's justified skepticism.
Holy crap. See this post is spot on in terms of what I'm fearing about this game, I really hope we're being tricked again but it seems like wishful thinking right now.

Raynes

Holy crap. See this post is spot on in terms of what I'm fearing about this game, I really hope we're being tricked again but it seems like wishful thinking right now.

It wouldn't help from a marketing perspective to trick us about the game's length.

The game does include a "Backstory" which I believe is said to cover the events of Peace Walker and everything else up to that point.

The only known version to come with anything summarizing Peace Walker is various limited editions only in Japan with a novelization of Peace Walker including new Shinkawa art. There hasn't been a Metal Gear game that summarized the past entries as a menu option since MGS1 and 2.

It wouldn't help from a marketing perspective to trick us about the game's length.

It wouldn't. But Kojima has talked in interviews about wanting to take risks with Ground Zeroes that would cause people to not want to buy the game and that he's "prioritizing creativity over sales". http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=6237

He also made comments before revealing that MGSV is the Phantom Pain about wanting to mislead people with trailers and hide stuff, saying he dislikes how in Hollywood movies you get trailers which tell you exactly what is going to happen, and he wants to change that with his next project so that we go in thinking we know what is going to happen and there's lots of twists and turns. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-on-why-misleading-trailers-are-important/1100-6405309/

But to contrast these two statements, I feel like what we're being told they're doing with Ground Zeroes spits in the face of Kojima's previous comments! Unless we're being mislead, I feel we know nearly everything that's gonna happen in Ground Zeroes' story from the footage they've released in the trailers of all the significant things like the scene of Snake seemingly "choking" Chico, the destruction of Camp Omega and Motherbase, the coma as well as the bomb in Paz. Then they've decided to sell Ground Zeroes as a separate product at £40, which means the MGSV experience put together will likely end up costing people nearly £100 which certainly doesn't sound like Kojima is prioritizing creativity over sales. You could probably chalk it all down to Kojima just overhyping his titles and general incompetance from the team, but there's a part of me that wants to believe he's better than this.

The only known version to come with anything summarizing Peace Walker is various limited editions only in Japan with a novelization of Peace Walker including new Shinkawa art. There hasn't been a Metal Gear game that summarized the past entries as a menu option since MGS1 and 2.

Actually, I was referring to the one in the main menu!

ArjanN

The best analogy I can think of the game is this.

Imagine if Kojima took the Virtuous Mission from MGS3 and packaged it as 'Metal Gear Solid 3: Virtuous Mission'. In order to stretch the length of the experience you would find doctors who looked like Sokolov around the area, but weren't. To add content you are given several trials. "Finish the Virtuous Mission only using the MK22", "Finish the Virtuous Mission in under 5 minutes", "Finish the Virtuous Mission mirrored", "Finish the Virtuous Mission collecting the 7 hidden cassette tapes". Then Kojima included the first chapter of the Snake Ape Escape mini game to also pad the experience. $40.

I really feel like Ground Zeroes is going to be that, albeit slightly longer. Probably 3 hours worth of meaningful content. And the onus remains with Kojima to prove me wrong, as it's justified skepticism.

Well, I'm actually pretty sure that'll be a fairly accurate description of the game.

and everyone who cared enough to click on this thread will buy it anyway

To be honest what you described doesn't even sound that bad for 40$.

AHA-Lambda

The game does include a "Backstory" which I believe is said to cover the events of Peace Walker and everything else up to that point. I think the characters, Chico and Paz (of Peace Walker), will be focused on to a certain extent, however it seems like the primary goal of Ground Zeroes is to lead the player into a new story in The Phantom Pain.

Oh, didn't know that, maybe not as bad then.

Spaghetti

it's not that we're being tricked, it's more like we're not being told anything to contradict or set straight the negative narrative that has been building for ground zeroes since the september gameplay previews

i feel bad for torashiro, because by the time konami head office gives the go-ahead to start detailing the contents of ground zeroes in a "here's the value" way it'll be way too late and most of the community would have made up their mind

iLLmAtlc

not sure if mentioned but i dont think the achievements say necessarily that there are 2 missions. what about reuniting as in you rendezvous with them in the game, then complete the rescue to finish the Ground Zeroes mission?

Oh, didn't know that, maybe not as bad then.

Right! There's so much information and misinformation surrounding this game that it's hard to keep track of what's what. But yes, they seem to be well-aware of Peace Walker's limited audience, so I don't think anyone new to the series (or returning to the series) will have to worry about having to have played Peace Walker.

i feel bad for torashiro, because by the time konami head office gives the go-ahead to start detailing the contents of ground zeroes in a "here's the value" way it'll be way too late and most of the community would have made up their mind

Same here. I hope the clarification comes soon, and it's good.

RaikuHebi

Banned

They don't need the community. MGS is the kind of name that pulls in normals as well. The cover is going to say MGSV on the shelves. A recipe for success.

Alienous

They don't need the community. MGS is the kind of name that pulls in normals as well. The cover is going to say MGSV on the shelves. A recipe for success.

A recipe for hurting the reputation of the series. If this isn't received well it'll hurt The Phantom Pain.

They don't need the community. MGS is the kind of name that pulls in normals as well. The cover is going to say MGSV on the shelves.

But isn't that in itself a bigger concern? Won't the normals who go in and buy it unaware it's just a prologue and not the real MGSV, and their expectations based on MGS4, Rising and the MGSV trailers which included Phantom Pain footage, take it's shortness more personally than the fans when it ends and tells you to buy another game next year to see what happens next? I could see that stirring controversy as well. The wrath of this community will seem tame in comparison to the people who aren't diehard fans and only bought the game because they enjoyed the previous ones and thought the title "Metal Gear Solid V" would be a stamp of quality.

Spaghetti

ehh... i think we underestimate how clued in 'normals' are to the comings and goings of gaming

i dunno

i've got a sinking feeling people might pick up gz thinking it's the phantom pain

Alienous

ehh... i think we underestimate how clued in 'normals' are to the comings and goings of gaming

i dunno

i've got a sinking feeling people might pick up gz thinking it's the phantom pain

I've got a rising feeling that's exactly what Konami wants, and they'll be happy to take that cash.

Right! There's so much information and misinformation surrounding this game that it's hard to keep track of what's what. But yes, they seem to be well-aware of Peace Walker's limited audience, so I don't think anyone new to the series (or returning to the series) will have to worry about having to have played Peace Walker.

Yeah, seems like Kaz could be a big character, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much of Paz or Chico in The Phantom Pain at all.

If Konami wasn't jerks about it, Ground Zeros should come with a code that gets you a discount on the digital Version of MGS5 proper when its released.

Yeah, seems like Kaz could be a big character, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much of Paz or Chico in The Phantom Pain at all.

Me neither. If it's true that only one survives, their roles in the Phantom Pain would either need to be interchangable like Otacon and Meryl at the end of MGS1 or little separate missions that open up depending on who you let survive but not too significant in the scheme of the main storyline.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I don't get all the hate about the length. Back in 2001 we all paid $40 for a demo of Metal Gear Solid 2.

Omikaru

Bleh. If it's as short as this achievement list suggests, I think this will backfire on Konami. Ground Zeroes may do well, but if people feel ripped off about this they aren't going to go out of their way to pick up The Phantom Pain.

I don't get all the hate about the length. Back in 2001 we all paid $40 for a demo of Metal Gear Solid 2.

That came with Zone of the Enders. No one complained about the length of the demo for Metal Gear Rising on the ZOE HD Collection either, you were at least getting a full game with both of those.

Edit:

What might have been a better idea is to attatch Ground Zeroes to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. I certainly wouldn't be bitching then, even though I was never planning to purchase that game. But the precedent of this seems bad to me.

Spaghetti

I've got a rising feeling that's exactly what Konami wants, and they'll be happy to take that cash.
but wouldn't that be counter-conductive to actually making any money? why sacrifice the bigger release for the sake of getting a few extra sales out of confused customers?

DrBo42

Did anybody else catch the spelling error?
It says "a S-rank" instead of "an S-rank," which would mean that the "S" is pronounced like the sound a snake makes, which would be a nice touch, if it were intentional.

Haha. The Kojima effect on theories carries into achievements apparently. I think it's just a grammar mistake my friend.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
side and extra ops.

peace walker 2.

don't like that at all.. :/

With base management and fulton recovery confirmed to be in Phantom Pain, MGSV really is Peace Walker 2 from a gameplay perspective. But instead of short areas, PP will be open world.

I don't see how people are saying if its a demo or not. We really just don't know. Seems like something we'll see once the game is out.

kick51

Banned
LOL @ citing Zone of the Enders with the "FREE" MGS2 demo as some high water mark of value.

ZOE1 is both bad and about 3 hours long. And soooo many threw down the $49.99 for the free MGS2 demo. I will take a beefy extended paid prologue DLC that ties into the main game, than a bad game and a short, vanilla demo at full new release price.

With base management and fulton recovery confirmed to be in Phantom Pain, MGSV really is Peace Walker 2 from a gameplay perspective. But instead of short areas, PP will be open world.

I just hope the mission structure is different from Peace Walker by the time we're into the full game. I think constantly being taken back to a menu every time we complere an operation and having to access the open world(s) and Motherbase through a list of DVD Chapters will spoil the scale and immersion of the game.

I noticed in one demo of the Ground Zeroes mission, you can rescue the prisoner that you mistake to be Chico and after you've brought him to the Chopper a post-credits esque conversation with Kaz plays. I hope to god we're not sent back to a menu and have to start from the beginning again every time we decide to take a detour and do a side objective, that's an example of the sort of thing I don't want to affect the structure of the game.

decayedmatter

Neo Member
Wow, this is gonna be the first MGS title I don't buy day 1. I was assuming we would at least get 2 open world areas, not 1. And weve already seen most of what this mission has to offer in video previews, we would basically just be replaying what weve already seen, with a bit of side mission padding thrown in. No thanks, Kojima has finally sold out (along with snuffing out David Hayter)

Yoroshiku

Banned
Haha. The Kojima effect on theories carries into achievements apparently. I think it's just a grammar mistake my friend.

I know, I know. I was merely being facetious, but as we all know, that often doesn't carry over too well into written language.

Betty

Banned
I just hope the mission structure is different from Peace Walker by the time we're into the full game. I think constantly being taken back to a menu every time we complere an operation and having to access the open world(s) and Motherbase through a list of DVD Chapters will spoil the scale and immersion of the game.

I noticed in one demo of the Ground Zeroes mission, you can rescue the prisoner that you mistake to be Chico and after you've brought him to the Chopper a post-credits esque conversation with Kaz plays. I hope to god we're not sent back to a menu and have to start from the beginning again every time we decide to take a detour and do a side objective, that's an example of the sort of thing I don't want to affect the structure of the game.

That's almost assuredly how each game will be structured. Might as well get used to it.

AHA-Lambda

LOL @ citing Zone of the Enders with the "FREE" MGS2 demo as some high water mark of value.

ZOE1 is bad

479.gif

Batzi

Banned
Most people in this thread should get familiar with the "Ladder of Inference". You guys need to seriously fucking relax.

TLG_LadderOfInference.jpg

Dysun

ZOE1 is both bad and about 3 hours long. And soooo many threw down the $49.99 for the free MGS2 demo. I will take a beefy extended paid prologue DLC that ties into the main game, than a bad game and a short, vanilla demo at full new release price.

You can downplay it all you want, the fact is it came with an entire game that many people enjoyed. The perceived value was much higher than Ground Zeroes alone.

Top Bottom