• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paintings in video games

Minecraft:

rlm9Zm.png

GWAaTm.png

8D05Vm.png

There's like 25 of them

Loxley

It became a little game for me in ACII to collect all of the paintings and then see how many of them I could remember from my art history classes.

I did....alright...

(edit: didn't realize I was beaten!)

Tooting my own horn a little bit, but Vigo in Ghostbusters. He also had like 100 lines of dialogue, lol

404367-ghostbusters-the-video-game-xbox-360-screenshot-vigo-is-still.jpg

Max Payne 2:

maxpayne2.jpg

ViolentP

Melchiah said:
o_O I don't remember seeing those before, eventhough I've played the game through several times to get all the endings. Mind blown.

That museum will never be forgotten.

Lime

Melchiah said:
o_O I don't remember seeing those before, eventhough I've played the game through several times to get all the endings. Mind blown.

The one on the left always scared me the most. Such a disturbing image, with people in weird costumes and (assumedly) sacrificial robes.

Shai-Tan

Banned
to put that undying painting in context it looks normal before. the paintings are alive in that game, e.g. some paintings are looking at you or do other things

Durante

These portraits in Nier were pretty memorable:
2010-05-23_18-12-52dkb9.jpg

Each time you pass them they change slightly, subtly at first, and then they end up like this:
2010-05-23_18-27-29fj65.jpg

Guild Wars in the first town area or whatever had some awesome art on the walls that has stuck in my mind for years even though only seeing it once, Amnesia is another stand out with the Renaissance era painting plus the portrait, Thief the Dark Project had the same style.

I love looking at art in games!

Chris_C

Pie and Beans said:
HE IS VIGO!.jpg

"in the future, you will remember paying $1.45 for gas, and weep hot tears of regret."

The game was a disappointment, but I stood in front of that pressing "X" for about 10 minutes, giggling.

Embryon

Neo Member
There's a really neat painting of Odin vs. Alexander in the Treasures of Aht Urhgan storyline for Final Fantasy XI.

img_20070308_075517.png

LOL @ the unintentionally hilarious chatlog.

Lime

Damn, D4Danger, that's a great pic from Grim Fandango. Where did you get such a high resolution asset from the game?

vid

luka said:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

You must play it to understand.

AGH, NO! Why would you post this, I had almost blocked out the horrible memories.... the horrible images.... no... my brains... go back in.... :(

undying had the coolest use of paintings. if the lightning flashed outside it would turn the faces of the figures into demons for just a second. also if you use your scrye power the paintings would change.

EXAMPLE:
03.jpg

to
04.jpg

Trick_GSF said:
Resident Evil has always had good paintings.

e8mwy0.jpg
That's because the game (the remake at least) uses real paintings. I can't speak for every single one of them, but I recognized a couple from my Art class in college.

Schlomo said:
I hated how in the Sistine Chapel in Assassin's Creed 2, they just C/P'd one painting over and over. It would have made this a really special room if it was actually a faithful reconstruction of the real place.

Yeah but the thing is, even if they could have add the magnificent art from 1481-2 from various artists, the upper famous part by Michelangelo couldnt have been added because it was not done yet, doing it less special. The same with things like School of Athens (my favourite piece of art) by Raphael in some of the rooms near it that you dont visit becuase they didnt exist yet.

And same as some of the structures in Rome like La Fontana de Trevi, I would have killed for a chance to visit actual Rome in a chapter of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, even if not all the city but just some parts were done :(
The actual colisseum visit at the end of the game made me want to go above the structure to look actual Rome as the one I visit a year ago, that would have been amazing

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've always loved how the Resident Evil series did this. Added so much creepiness to the rooms.

zkylon

zkylewd
Kaer Morhen in The Witcher had some great paintings on the walls. Internet's acting up so can't do a proper Google image search...

Melchiah said:

That is a high res screenshot from the PC version which had higher fidelity textures. Most likely, just like me, you saw those paintings on the PS2 version where they didn't really look like much of anything because the camera never zooms in on them and from that distance in 480i they are too blurry to be noticeable.

Comanche Raisin Toast said:
undying had the coolest use of paintings. if the lightning flashed outside it would turn the faces of the figures into demons for just a second. also if you use your scrye power the paintings would change.

Durante said:
These portraits in Nier were pretty memorable:

Each time you pass them they change slightly, subtly at first, and then they end up like this:

Nothing cooler than portraits that change form

UlqRj.gif
abFLg.gif
5kYKl.gif

YD2a6.gif
SU0d0.gif
Vc04T.gif

Thenarus

Neo Member
No one's mentioned Eternal Darkness yet...? There are so many great bits of artwork throughout the game, but that main painting on the second floor of the mansion is definitely the most poignant.

thomaser

There were many in the upper hallway of the mansion in Eternal Darkness. Some of them changed if you had low sanity. Can't find good pics of them, though.

Edit: yeah, you just HAD to get in there while I was looking for pics, didn't you :)

Top Bottom