• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Floody

NeoGAF does not represent general gaming populace, so yeah.

Good thing the game sold extremely well (better than most Zelda games even) and it's sequel announcement didn't exactly fly under the radar either.
You'd really have to have your head buried in the ground to think TLoU isn't looked back on fondly, by a lot of people, both hardcore and casual.

EhoaVash

played 1 souls game, you played them all

after beating bloodborne i tried getting into other souls game but i just can't do it, playing and beating 1 game in that " genre" has made me feel already burnt out. i wanted to like nioh but again the " souls" fatigue has me also these games require way too much of a commitment. Don't know if i'll ever return to dark souls, or nioh. probably never.

Diablos

I truly feel like Microsoft is in the way and they’ve done very little to justify the Xbox platform even existing, overall. Yes, I prefer Sony so I will admit some bias but they’re far from perfect (if PSN woes get any worse, especially heading into PS5 era, it could hurt them badly.) But as I grow older and just objectively look at the Xbox, 360 and One it all screams “I’m the ‘me too’ console/platform” more than anything else.

Frankly, Sony is partially to blame by dropping the ball big time on PS3. Launch price, bad marketing, a real lack of good games available at launch and a steeper learning curve for devs really gave MS a window to take advantage of that mess, and they did, which was smart. But Sony is #1 again and PS3 ended up holding its own as well. I don’t see a sustained effort of MS really doing a whole lot to make me want to flock to them unless Sony is fucking up, which is exactly why the last MS console I bought was a 360 nearly 10 years ago when PS3 was a hot mess in the early days.

Case in point, X1X is very impressive but there’s not enough there in the overall Xbox family that makes me think it’s smart to spend a couple car payments on it.

Anyway, I’m not saying I hate you if you have a preference for MS, but hopefully you have a Nintendo and/or Sony console or two otherwise I just don’t get it.

Also FFXII is a boring offline MMO that plays itself but it does have some amazing music that transcends gaming (what a waste). I guess if you enjoy setting up conditions in advance and then just watching it play out, have fun, but it’s just not for me.

Horizon is an example as to why I still play games, and it’s not just because it’s pretty. It’s amazing.

Witcher 3 was pretty good but honestly overrated. A solid 7.5/10 game no more no less.

One of Horizons selling points wasn't "exploration."

Yes it was, even if it wasn't explicitly stated.

An open world game is focused on exploration by its very nature. If your open world isn't worth exploring, you shouldn't have created an open world game.

Now, if you think Horizon's world is interesting to explore, fair enough. But if someone does not, it's perfectly valid to criticize that aspect of the game, regardless of whether or not "exploration" was some explicitly touted feature by the dev team.

Raven117

Gold Member

An open world game is focused on exploration by its very nature. If your open world isn't worth exploring, you shouldn't have created an open world game.

Not sold like it was in Zelda (at least by fans). Horizon...there was actually stuff to find out there. Something cool to kill, something that added to the lore of the world...While it was done by Icon, there was more of a reason to find it than anything in Zelda. Zelda...here is another korok seed...great...Here is a puzzle that could potentially use the gyroscope and send you into fits of rage...cool thanks. Side quest? Nope...its just a find the shrine in the area...or fetch. Or something that adds nothing.

Cool view though.

CS:GO killed what was my favorite online shooter series of all time. Original CS and Source are leagues better.

Agreed. Actually, I think that GO is great at catering to the hardcore matchmaking crowd, and it's far and away the best for watching actual professional matches on; Source was absolute garbage for that, and 1.6 didn't have anywhere near the array of tools available today. GO is absolutely terrible for casuals though, and since I don't have the same free time I had in high school, I cannot play it. I have infinitely more fun hopping into a Source pub than trying to find a pub in GO since most of the mature people there will be playing competitive mode. By focusing on (and improving) the competitive mode, Valve destroyed the pubbing scene, and that effectively shuts me out. So I can respect GO for what it is, it's just not for me as anything but an occasional spectator.

Source is much better than people give it credit for. It was never as good as 1.6, but people act as though it completely ruined the game, and that's preposterous hyperbole.

Wamb0wneD

Its not about the same sword. Its about more powerful swords. Truly hurt my enjoyment of the game to the point where it drug the entire experience down for me.
How do you distribute more powerful stuff in an open world like this where there is no level scaling? If they can't predict where you're going first they can't put, say a 40 attack sword somewhere and a 70 attack sword elsewhere, because then it might happen that everything you find later on is useless, because you went the "wrong way".

I found them distracting trifles that added nothing to world at all. Other than...here have a puzzle. Some people love this stuff. Its very Zelda. I didnt.
They add something to the game though, and they are an incentive for many to seek them out i.e. explore the world, because they are part of the progression system. If you don't like puzzles then why do you play Zelda in the first place? The only criticisms I have with them are their single aesthetic and too many battle shrines.

Nope...Every side quest I found was some silly fetch quest...or some other silly quest that was found in an MMO circa 2005. Gaming has moved on.
So getting a small riddle of where to go and finding a smal treasure cave there is a fetch quest? Wondering what makes the lightning strike the stable tent all the time and finding out by climbing up there is a fetch quest? There are so many of these little things.

Its better than Zelda games before it. But it needs to be better. It was okay though. Its tough for open worlds to stick this 100%.
Agreed. But it's also the only game where I can freeze an enemy on a horse in time, watch the horse ride along, steal it, see the enemy fall on his ass and ride over him in one fluid cycle.

It sure isn't. This Zelda will change nothign in how open world games are made...Because it didn't DO anything new. The combat, where you use the environment to your advantage is not new. Thats why I felt like it was Far Cry in a way....And Far Cry wasn't the first to do it.

Sorry for the long ass text but...
So can you then show me a game that has fire behaving like that that, creating winds I can ride on to slo mo shoot people in the air after throwing bombs on them from above that also has items that make it possible to cast ice cubes on waterfalls to let me climb them vertically or the example in battle above?

That has Zelda puzzles in them? What open world has those?
A game that lets me tackle the end boss whenever I want? A game that has me running from moving cloud shadow to moving structure shadows in the desert at daytime because I take damage otherwise due to heat since I forgot to cook the right food or didn't get the right equipment yet? That let's me wear a fire rod to protect me from the cold? That lets me build briges with physically correct floating tree trunks? That lets me hover metal objects to enemies in a lightning storm so they get hit by it? That let's me shield surf and has those shields taking normal damage on normal ground, less during rain and none in sand and snow? I could go on like this for quite some time

I'ts the culmination of all of it and how all of it works together. Please tell me some of those games since Zelda does nothing new, I'd love to play them.
They don't exist
. If you come with stuff like Far Cry 2 having fire physics after reading this I have to assume you're trolling.

The combat kinda reminded of it. It was just a feeling. Remember, you are the one that wandered into a CONTROVERSIAL gaming opinion thread.
Yeah, and also a thread where you should be OK with people answering those controversial opinions.

Because I was waiting for something to happen. Everyone was saying how great it was. I can see how some people enjoy it. The scale, the "feel" of moving around the map. All fantastic. I gave the game its due to try and grab me...It just didn't.

Story and enemy variety go without saying. There was nothing compelling about either of them. Especially when compare to other open world games that are generations ahead of it.
In those aspects, yes. Though I would argue that the way the story works is for those bits also being a reason to explore more of the map. At least that's the way they are supposed to work. If the story is meh though I can see that not working out.

Read Again: You are the one in a Controversial Gaming Opinion Thread.
Maybe read that part where you should wear a flame shield. I'm not even flaming though I thought we were having a normal discussion. If I missunderstood and this is just a thread to dump your opinion in and gtfo again then I'm sorry for wasting your time. I was under the impression we have opinions to have discussions and that this is a discussion board.

Not sold like it was in Zelda (at least by fans). Horizon...there was actually stuff to find out there. Something cool to kill, something that added to the lore of the world...While it was done by Icon, there was more of a reason to find it than anything in Zelda. Zelda...here is another korok seed...great...Here is a puzzle that could potentially use the gyroscope and send you into fits of rage...cool thanks. Side quest? Nope...its just a find the shrine in the area...or fetch. Or something that adds nothing.

Cool view though.

I'm not referring to the trinkets or pieces of lore you find by following the icons on the map. I'm talking about the act of exploration, period.

Horizon isn't an interesting world to explore in the slightest. Part of that is due to icons being the only way locate anything (Horizon is full of "visual noise", making it impossible to find almost anything without the aid of icons), part of it is due to Aloy's limited traversal capabilities, and part of it is due to the map itself just not being all that interesting. A game like Zelda could remove all korok seeds, all sidequests, all NPCs, and every shrine/Divine Beat and it would still be a more interesting and engaging world to run around in.

This isn't just a problem with Horizon though. The majority of open world titles fail to provide a map worth getting lost in.

That being said, you obviously love the game, so we'll just agree to disagree. There are actually plenty of things about Horizon that I can respect and appreciate, but its open world just isn't one of them.

Playsage

Now, if you think Horizon's world is interesting to explore, fair enough. But if someone does not, it's perfectly valid to criticize that aspect of the game, regardless of whether or not "exploration" was some explicitly touted feature by the dev team.
You cannot state this as a fact.

Being explorable doesn't necessarily mean that its design has to incentivize the player to explore.

For all I care, I could build an open world just for context and simulative purposes

Like the Mafia games

Wamb0wneD

Got tempbanned for posting this in another thread, but it's still my opinion:

Most emulator ROMs are downloaded illegally.

That's only a controversial opinion on GAF and some other gaming related places because that's where the enthusiasts who actually use emulators for the purpose they claim they use them for are. Outside of that though...I met like roughly 20 people in my life that use emulators like Dolphin and I think a single one of them owned the console he's emulating and actually owns some games.

Raven117

Gold Member
How do you distribute more powerful stuff in an open world like this where there is no level scaling? If they can't predict where you're going first they can't put, say a 40 attack sword somewhere and a 70 attack sword elsewhere, because then it might happen that everything you find later on is useless, because you went the "wrong way".
Its not about that, its about the fact that whatever I find out there will shatter within minutes of heavy use. Even the end game stuff shattered in just a handfull of battles. This completely disincentives exploration to me. If I get more powerful stuff, I will use it. I don't need the game to shatter my stuff mid-battle (making combat even more awful as it really screwed up the flow of it). It just didn't work for me. It frustrated me to no end.

They add something to the game though, and they are an incentive for many to seek them out i.e. explore the world, because they are part of the progression system. If you don't like puzzles then why do you play Zelda in the first place? The only criticisms I have with them are their single aesthetic and too many battle shrines.
Sure, as I said...Lots of players like this stuff. To me, it broke up the rythmn of the game. Plus, for the average gamer, you have to do a decent number of these to "level up" this is essentially those parts in games where you are bottled necked to do a certain number of side quests to progress. Everyone hates those. That said, if you like these things, then its fine.

So getting a small riddle of where to go and finding a smal treasure cave there is a fetch quest? Wondering what makes the lightning strike the stable tent all the time and finding out by climbing up there is a fetch quest? There are so many of these little things.

Agreed. But it's also the only game where I can freeze an enemy on a horse in time, watch the horse ride along, steal it, see the enemy fall on his ass and ride over him in one fluid cycle.
How about shooting dudes in a jeep in Far Cry, guy falls out, take the jeep, run him over. And watch the elephant that you just let out of the cage wreck the outpost? Just saying...this kind of stuff has been done.

Sorry for the long ass text but...
So can you then show me a game that has fire behaving like that that, creating winds I can ride on to slo mo shoot people in the air after throwing bombs on them from above that also has items that make it possible to cast ice cubes on waterfalls to let me climb them vertically or the example in battle above?
The world interactivity is the most revolutionary part of the game. That and scale of the open world. These two things are what sets this Zelda apart from all other open world games in a very different way.

That has Zelda puzzles in them? What open world has those?
A game that lets me tackle the end boss whenever I want? A game that has me running from moving cloud shadow to moving structure shadows in the desert at daytime because I take damage otherwise due to heat since I forgot to cook the right food or didn't get the right equipment yet? That let's me wear a fire rod to protect me from the cold? That lets me build briges with physically correct floating tree trunks? That lets me hover metal objects to enemies in a lightning storm so they get hit by it? That let's me shield surd and has those shields take normal damage on normal ground, less during rain and none in sand and snow? I could go on like this for quite some time
All games when described like this can sound unique. Its an open world with decent physics. I will recount what I said about nothing Revolutionary. How it brought these systems together in an open world is cutting edge. Whether it makes it a compelling experience...this is where we differ. All that did nothign for me. Building that bridge was just a bridge to no where for me. There was nothing on the other side that I found compelling.

I'ts the culmination of all of it and how all of it works together. Please tell me some of those games since Zelda does nothing new, I'd love to play them. They don't exist. If you come with stuff like Far Cry 2 having fire physics after reading this I have to assume you're trolling.
No one system is new. No. Is it the first open world to give this level of interactivity with the environment? Yes.

Yeah, and also a thread where you should be OK with people answering those controversial opinions.
I am. Im enjoying our conversation. :D

In those aspects, yes. Though I would argue that the way the story works is for those bits also being a reason to explore more of the map. At least that's the way they are supposed to work. If the story is meh though I can see that not working out.
Im going to try and not hold the story against it. Zelda isn't Witcher nor will it ever try to be. (Though, damn that would be something....), But really to me, it wasn't even passable as light and easy fare.

Maybe read that part where you should wear a flame shield.I'm not even flaming though I thought we were having a normal discussion. If I missunderstood and this is just a thread to dump your opinion in and gtfo again then I'm sorry for wasting your time.
We are good :D

If I don't respond right away, I will tomorrow. Signing off for the night.. We can go a few more rounds :D

Raven117

Gold Member
I'm not referring to the trinkets or pieces of lore you find by following the icons on the map. I'm talking about the act of exploration, period.

Horizon isn't an interesting world to explore in the slightest. Part of that is due to icons being the only way locate anything (Horizon is full of "visual noise", making it impossible to find almost anything without the aid of icons), part of it is due to Aloy's limited traversal capabilities, and part of it is due to the map itself just not being all that interesting. A game like Zelda could remove all korok seeds, all sidequests, all NPCs, and every shrine/Divine Beat and it would still be a more interesting and engaging world to run around in.

This isn't just a problem with Horizon though. The majority of open world titles fail to provide a map worth getting lost in.

That being said, you obviously love the game, so we'll just agree to disagree. There are actually plenty of things about Horizon that I can respect and appreciate, but its open world just isn't one of them.
I think what you are saying is that the open world itself is better in Zelda. I would agree. Its scale and design itself is stunning. I just don't particularly find that an interesting feature in a video game if there is nothing out there but pretty views.

Im more of a Witcher 3 fan, but thats for another post. :D

Aters

Samus may be a "strong female lead" character, but she sure does spend a lot of her hard earned Bounty Hunter money on changing up her looks to barbie herself up for the presumed straight male player yet she "#Don'tNeedNoMan" except the one controlling her. At least that is the form of implication I am gathering since every game she always looks very different than the previous. I think her whole representation is really hypocritical and contradicting on what a real strong female is suppose to be. To me, she is only a strong female lead when she remains within her Varia Suit as well as her other suits, because that is when she has true power. Once she gratuitously reveals her barbie-self outside of the suit, she is weak, fragile and prone to all dangers... yet ironically she always claims to be training for the next mission, when clearly you see no physical proof of that. She doesn't wield any muscles on her body. Surely if it was a male protagonist in her shoes, he'd be muscular at all times underneath that heavy metallic suit to have the willpower to be in it and do all the strenuous activities. She and much of the other strong female lead protagonists ought to start getting straight love/romance stories, not in the form of "needing" the opposite sex but for the natural desires of wanting love... just like if you were to play a game starring a male lead protagonist that always gets a lady at the start of the game or somewhere in the middle or at the end.

At least Bayonetta has the decency to flirt with a man in her game... so that made me happy to see that at least. But could always be more than just flirting of course.

Here's a thought: Maybe she's just good at using all those high-tech equipment, and she's not physically strong. Do you think in the year 2300, your muscle will determine the outcome of a battle? Does "strong female" means female has to be able to beat people's ass bare hand? I think that's the most superficial interpretation and quite insulting to the actually strong females in the real world. I will go as far as saying it's merely a stereotype that is, to the best, lazy writing, and to the worst, a kind of fetish.

EhoaVash

I wanted to like horizon zero Dawn, aloy is a good interesting character but after the initial set up of the story, it became kind of boring? Just follow the triangle on the map to your next destination to advance the story, whole story had it's promises but the other characters are just so damn unlikable. Wish aloy had a love interest or something. Also looting during combat sucks :/

Next time for horizon 2 I hope they make the dialog between the humans more....natural. It looks so fucking weird especially the animation on the mouth/face when they talk to each other outside cutscenes.

I want horizon 2 to be less like Witcher and more it's own thing. Give me some melodrama, while fixing hand to hand combat. And. Maybe make the world more natural instead of it feeling like you're in some kind of simulation where once you come in contact with the natural environment it feels like nothing is there. ie trees in this game lol ;d ;d

I think what you are saying is that the open world itself is better in Zelda. I would agree. Its scale and design itself is stunning. I just don't particularly find that an interesting feature in a video game if there is nothing out there but pretty views.

Im more of a Witcher 3 fan, but thats for another post. :D

Hey, fair enough! I have some issues with The Witcher 3's open world, but overall, I think it's pretty damn great and a much better place to explore than the vast majority of worlds in similar games.

Here's a thought: Maybe she's just good at using all those high-tech equipment, and she's not physically strong. Do you think in the year 2300, your muscle will determine the outcome of a battle? Does "strong female" means female has to be able to beat people's ass bare hand? I think that's the most superficial interpretation and quite insulting to the actually strong females in the real world.
Thing is its still a good example of how Other M utterly ruined her character. Samus was originally pretty tall and athletic, Super Metroid has her at 6'3 with visible muscle definition when she's out of suit. Once the Zero Suit was introduced she was gradually moved away from that physically culminating in Other M where's she's a waif that every dude towers over.

Most of the problems really reside in Other M's character assassination though. The Primes did really a good job fleshing out her character without a single word of dialogue. Prime 2 always comes to my mind the most because the whole game is Samus selflessly saving an entire people from extinction against creatures that nearly killed her just because it was the right thing to do. She easily could have left Aether once she found the dead Marines, because that was her job, but she didn't and she asked for nothing in return for saving the Luminoth.

Liamc723

Good thing the game sold extremely well (better than most Zelda games even) and it's sequel announcement didn't exactly fly under the radar either.
You'd really have to have your head buried in the ground to think TLoU isn't looked back on fondly, by a lot of people, both hardcore and casual.

Yup, to suggest anything different is pretty idiotic.

95% of the bad reputation the industry can be attributed to PC gamers

True

Samus may be a "strong female lead" character, but she sure does spend a lot of her hard earned Bounty Hunter money on changing up her looks to barbie herself up for the presumed straight male player yet she "#Don'tNeedNoMan" except the one controlling her. At least that is the form of implication I am gathering since every game she always looks very different than the previous. I think her whole representation is really hypocritical and contradicting on what a real strong female is suppose to be. To me, she is only a strong female lead when she remains within her Varia Suit as well as her other suits, because that is when she has true power. Once she gratuitously reveals her barbie-self outside of the suit, she is weak, fragile and prone to all dangers... yet ironically she always claims to be training for the next mission, when clearly you see no physical proof of that. She doesn't wield any muscles on her body. Surely if it was a male protagonist in her shoes, he'd be muscular at all times underneath that heavy metallic suit to have the willpower to be in it and do all the strenuous activities. She and much of the other strong female lead protagonists ought to start getting straight love/romance stories, not in the form of "needing" the opposite sex but for the natural desires of wanting love... just like if you were to play a game starring a male lead protagonist that always gets a lady at the start of the game or somewhere in the middle or at the end.

At least Bayonetta has the decency to flirt with a man in her game... so that made me happy to see that at least. But could always be more than just flirting of course.

Imo Samus is cute not for some straight male gaze bullshit, simply because it makes for great contrast to see a human presence after playing a game where nearly everything is a hostile alien.

Raven117

Gold Member
Hey, fair enough! I have some issues with The Witcher 3's open world, but overall, I think it's pretty damn great and a much better place to explore than the vast majority of worlds in similar games.
I'm just pumped we have these games to play! There is so much awesome stuff out there right now... for all kinds of tastes.

Its definitely a second golden age for video games

aravuus

Only when it's made by Nintendo do downplay the critical reception.

Christ, I hate posts like this. It's like this weird combination of whiny defensiveness and ignoring/downplaying criticism. This stuff happens to pretty much every game and publisher out there, the extent of it depending how popular the game/series/publisher is. Your darling isn't special, maybe you just think it is because it's the one you're so particularly invested in, emotionally? And it's not hard to tell what it is for you since you've been hanging out here, in a "controversial opinions" thread, defending Zelda.

"I got banned for posting x.. Hey, better post it again in another thread"

As long as you have no numbers to offer to support this claim, it's not a controversial opinion, it's just a shitpost

Aters

Thing is its still a good example of how Other M utterly ruined her character. Samus was originally pretty tall and athletic, Super Metroid has her at 6'3 with visible muscle definition when she's out of suit. Once the Zero Suit was introduced she was gradually moved away from that physically culminating in Other M where's she's a waif that every dude towers over.

Most of the problems really reside in Other M's character assassination though. The Primes did really a good job fleshing out her character without a single word of dialogue. Prime 2 always comes to my mind the most because the whole game is Samus selflessly saving an entire people from extinction against creatures that nearly killed her just because it was the right thing to do. She easily could have left Aether once she found the dead Marines, because that was her job, but she didn't and she asked for nothing in return for saving the Luminoth.

Other M is fanfic territory to me. Not gonna discuss that one.

Melchiah

95% of the bad reputation the industry can be attributed to PC gamers

There's a lot of gamers of all platforms among my friends, and it's actually pretty funny that it's only the PC players who try to bait platform wars with their Facebook posts. I've seen a few "PC master race" related posts during the past weeks, and I'm talking about guys who are well into their 30s.

Jimrpg

There's a lot of gamers of all platforms among my friends, and it's actually pretty funny that it's only the PC players who try to bait platform wars with their Facebook posts. I've seen a few "PC master race" related posts during the past weeks, and I'm talking about guys who are well into their 30s.

I know a guy who does this and it really shits me. They like to do it to express their superiority. Look at mah GTX 1080, shits all over the consoles etc, PC master race. Partly they also think its funny, but they probably think they can hide behind it too. The guy is a specialist surgeon as well, so doesn't matter if you're well educated or not. Funny thing is he was bullied at school, and now he's probably doing the same thing.

Melchiah

I know a guy who does this and it really shits me. They like to do it to express their superiority. Look at mah GTX 1080, shits all over the consoles etc, PC master race. Partly they also think its funny, but they probably think they can hide behind it too. The guy is a specialist surgeon as well, so doesn't matter if you're well educated or not. Funny thing is he was bullied at school, and now he's probably doing the same thing.

It seems to go in line with tech related bragging in general, occasionally straying into car brand wars as well. =D

DiresuDR

Ninja Theory generally is overrated and makes at best bad to mediocre games (weirdly enough DmC is the exception here even though i hated what they did with Dante). Enslaved is one of the most overrated games ever. I utterly hated playing that game and have no idea why people like it.

FinalAres

Ninja Theory generally is overrated and makes at best bad to mediocre games (weirdly enough DmC is the exception here even though i hated what they did with Dante). Enslaved is one of the most overrated games ever. I utterly hated playing that game and have no idea why people like it.

Slightly off topic: I have spent all this time thinking Ninja Theory are making Dissidia NT and was wondering why it looked so bad. I've just checked and its actually Team Ninja, as in Dead or Alive.

What the hell were SE thinking.

Melchiah

I don't think they're really overrated, but based on Heavenly Sword and Hellblade, the combat mechanics and variety leave a lot to be desired. I loved Hellblade otherwise though.

Fondly sure. I just don't think it will be viewed as incredible over time like Red Dead Redemption or others have.

Playsage

I think people are straight up trolling in the GTS review thread since people are discussing the game's worth over that goddamn GB Quick Look instead of... You know, reviews from outlets and people into that genre of games.

petran79

Banned

You must have the eyesight and awareness of a surgeon to enjoy PC gaming. I am serious!

Liamc723

The ๖ۜBronx;252490746 said:
I don't see the lasting reverence for it around on the whole.

I mean, just look at the reaction to the sequel's announcement at PSX.

You don't get that from a mediocre game.

Cepheus

Esports is the lamest shit in the world.

This this so much this.

Also, gaming culture as a whole is fucking infested with racism, misogyny, LGBT-phobia and Nazis. It's actually disgusting.

And 'gamers' nowadays are so entitled and expect the world from publishers. #FucKonami is beyond childish. Can you imagine if Nintendo pulled the 'this Mario game is too hard for the West, better reskin this other, easier game for them' Super Mario Bros 2 thing in today's era of the Internet and toxic behaviour? They'd get fucking crucified and it would probably make the news. Ridiculous that people can get so worked up about bits of plastic.

creatchee

I would amend this to add "forced" in front of Esports.

At this point, companies plan on making their game an Esport before release. That's kinda disingenuous, as public demand should be the driving force behind whether or not a game has a competitive league or tournament series etc. As it stands, we have games like PUBG and Overwatch getting the Esports treatment, even though they are absolutely terrible to watch when in a competitive format.

Then you have the exploitation - putting out overpriced loot crates to sponsor Esports that aren't even an established thing. I'm looking at you, Gears of War 4.

I would amend this to add "forced" in front of Esports.

At this point, companies plan on making their game an Esport before release. That's kinda disingenuous, as public demand should be the driving force behind whether or not a game has a competitive league or tournament series etc. As it stands, we have games like PUBG and Overwatch getting the Esports treatment, even though they are absolutely terrible to watch when in a competitive format.

Then you have the exploitation - putting out overpriced loot crates to sponsor Esports that aren't even an established thing. I'm looking at you, Gears of War 4.

All 3 of those games are ones where the communities also wanted an esports. Maybe less so with OW, since a lot of players don't care about that comp scene.

Gears especially always had a competitive scene, and people wanted more investment from MS and devs. And they got it! Quite frankly, the hardcore gears community seems more enthused about esports than Halo these days cause TC actually managed it pretty well.

JelDeRebel

Neo Member
Super Mario RPG and any other game that uses timed button presses (Costume Quest)

I simply can't enjoy a turned based RPG if I have to be on my toes all the time to press a button in a smal timeframe to either increase attack damage or increase defense.

Timed button presses make turned base RPG's more frustratingly difficult than they should be.

Costume Quest adds insult to injury by making all standard enemies and minibosses soo piss easy that no strategy in team lineup is required, and since you don't learn any strategy, the final boss is balls hard

People who try and rationalize loot boxes as if they don’t effect the development of a game they are in. I think they are the single worst addition to modern gaming and I fully blame the mobile game market for their existence since they are like a virus in virtually any popular mobile game. There is no possible way you could convince me of the purpose of having them in a full price game that will be charging for DLC as well down the line. Even in F2P games their existence barely justifies their purpose in my opinion.

I also find the whole cosmetic loot box argument in favor of them equally disgusting. Making a character or item or mechanic of the game’s “look” being locked behind some kind of extra lame and ultra grindy reward system in game or by buying loot boxes and HOPING you get the thing you want (Destiny 2 shades for instance or TLOU gear pieces or weapons in MP) is absolutely pathetic and people who defend this practice are basically enablers of unregulated gambling for children.

How so? In theory, or in practice?

The only competitive game I follow is dota. It's pretty amazing to me, so I'm wondering what you mean. If you're referring to other games, that's a different case since I don't know what's going on with them.

Given the recent SNES vs Genesis thread...

If you haven't owned and thoroughly played both of these systems' libraries (including imports), then your opinion on them doesn't matter and you should shut the fuck up. If you're not highly familiar with the TurboGrafx/PC Engine for comparison, then your opinions on that era don't matter either.

Aters

I think people are straight up trolling in the GTS review thread since people are discussing the game's worth over that goddamn GB Quick Look instead of... You know, reviews from outlets and people into that genre of games.

GT is a franchise that sells millions. It's far beyond the hardcore racing fans. It's natural that some people, or even most people, want to know how someone not really into the genre thinks of this game.

Mattenth

As long as you have no numbers to offer to support this claim, it's not a controversial opinion, it's just a shitpost

I do have numbers. I'm looking at a torrent for Breath of the Wild's Cemu ROM right now. Looks like about 12k seeders and 5.5k leechers.

I won't post the website, but I'm looking at one with a 92k download counter for Breath of the Wild's Cemu ROM.

Granted, I have no idea how many people are legally ripping their own ROM for personal use, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's less than the above.

So I bought Stardew Valley and it's really slow, hard to understand the basic mechanics, and most of the characters are uninteresting. Even if it somehow picks up it makes a terrible first impression.

Top Bottom