• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

So I've never melded before. What should I be melding as a Monk?

We don't have exact stat weights for Monk yet, but you're probably going to want to pick between either Direct Hit and Critical Hit. Myself and a number of other Monks that I've seen are focusing on Crit for Deep Meditation procs, but Direct Hit is a really good stat too, especially since Crit is a little hard to stack to a great amount atm. Direct is also worthwhile if you're planning to play any SAM since they don't have a mechanic based on Crits. Skill Speed isn't bad to meld either if you're looking to reach a certain GCD tier. I don't personally know how much it affects autos/DoT damage, but having lots of SkS feels good.
I have 2000 skill speed right now it's amazing

Never thought I'd get to say this, but I'm done with Susano EX after getting the three weapons and the dog! Rolled a 97 and it only took 20 runs total. Which means my luck on Lakshimi will be in the toilet. I'll still do the fight for my FC mates, but it's so glad to be done with something and not waiting several patches to get it.

Does 50/60 give a comparable percentage of a level compared to the highest dungeon you can do?

Not at 60+. On my WAR I did a run and it somehow gave me quite a decent bit of xp at 58, but it might have been because of the weekly challenge stuff too I'll check again tomorrow. Overall it's not a very good queue for xp, but it's a nice change of pace. Sadly it's quite often the MSQ dungeons lately so I've stopped doing it since even as a change of pace it was getting boring, not enough random side dungeons that I haven't done many times.

I got to lv70 with NIN this morning and ran a few lv70 dungeons and I feel like people are raining commendations on me all of a sudden (I've had PLD and RDM to 70 for a while now, too). Makes me wonder if everyone is using a parser and I'm doing ok on damage? I feel powerful as hell, and honestly I find NIN an absolute blast to play. Helps that I immediately got to iLv317 thanks to some of the crafted gear I commissioned a GAF FCmate make for me
thanks Vic!
. Worked my way up to iLv319 over the course of the day by switching over to my PLD and farming Ex Lakshmi, just the i310 verity tomestone ring holding my gear level down from a full 320 set.

I do occasionally struggle with Mudra playing on mouse+keyboard, but it's more a symptom of me being ancy to throw it out and return to my super quick weaponskill rotations -- the skill speed from Huton makes it feel a bit more urgent than it needs to be as I get really greedy for damage output and feel like dialing in my Mudra sequence kinda sets it back. It's not exactly true, given the substantial benefits from actually casting the various ninjutsu correctly. Still, I either try to type the sequence in too quickly and inputs get missed in my intended combo, or I just straight up fat finger it.

I'm still not entirely sure what the hell the lv70 NIN ability does? It feels like an alternate in-combat mudra timer reset that I can opt for instead of my other gauge abilities? If that's the case, I still feel way more comfortable giving my gauge over to fire frog or ninja braver. I thought it would basically lock me into a mudra-only state for a little bit and allow me to combo multiple ninjutsu regardless of mudra cooldown status, but having tried it a few times, that doesn't seem be the case at all. Tooltip seems somewhat confusing.

But yeah, it's an excellent job... but I say that coming from someone who has literally never had a max level dps class in any MMO until Stormblood. Now I have RDM and NIN, and of the two, I think I vastly prefer NIN.

Ken

It feels like an alternate in-combat mudra timer reset that I can opt for instead of my other gauge abilities? If that's the case, I still feel way more comfortable giving my gauge over to fire frog or ninja braver. I thought it would basically lock me into a mudra-only state for a little bit and allow me to combo multiple ninjutsu regardless of mudra cooldown status, but having tried it a few times, that doesn't seem be the case at all. Tooltip seems somewhat confusing.

it does.

the thing that you're probably unaware of is how it accepts mudra inputs: it records the previous mudra input and adds it to the next input, and so on.

to put it simply, you have to go

fuma (one step mudra)> raiton (two step) > suiton (three step) (if trick attack is up) or fuma > katon > doton

but you're only inputting a total of three mudra to do the sequence

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like this:

Ten Chi Jin
Jin (Active: Jin)
Ninjutsu: Fuma Shuriken
Ten (Active: Jin>Ten)
Ninjutsu: Katon
Chi (Active: Jin>Ten>Chi)
Ninjutsu: Doton

Alternatively.

Ten Chi Jin
Ten (Active: Ten)
Ninjutsu: Fuma Shuriken
Chi (Active: Ten>Chi)
Ninjutsu: Raiton
Jin (Active: Ten>Chi>Jin)
Ninjutsu; Suiton

Baleoce

EDbW9BQ.png

A13oyOQ.png

Tnk1ww3.png

Has anyone else been having crashing issues like this lately? Maybe since the newest Geforce driver or something? It boots me out as soon as I log into the game now.

It started happening yesterday, and these errors above are happening after a fresh install of the game, in both DirectX 11 and 9 modes. I also tried backing up my settings folder and trying it properly from scratch. No dice.

I'm currently running Nvidia Driver 384.94. I'm going to try a fresh reinstall and rollback of that driver in safe mode next to see if that does it. I'll update this post in a bit.

EDIT - Rolled back using DDU in Safe Mode (clean start) to a known good nvidia driver (382.33) and the problems persisted. I was still crashing in both DX11 and 9 modes. I have no idea what to do now tbh. Last thing I can think of trying is reinstalling the game again, but this time making sure every single file from the installation folder is deleted first.

EDIT2 - The first time I reinstalled XIV I supposedly just reinstalled Stormblood. So at least this time around I know I'm getting a completely clean start on the game files. My hard drive recently had bad sectors that I had to fix with chkdsk, and the OS and other games were affected by this issue. Overwatch needed a file repair operation using the blizzard app, and Windows 10 needed a refresh to fix parts of the OS functionality. So I'm actually half confident that this will work after it's all installed and updated. I'll update the post again once I'm done. But the takeaway if it works is that it could just be file corruption.

EDIT3 - Fun fact, an actual clean installation from the ARR/HW/SB DVD's leaves you currently with a 27.8GB patch. And considering the strength of my internet:

KMy8jbE.png

..I'll have to get back to you with the results in a couple of days.

Do normal worlds ever go back to preferred status? I've went and started a new character 2 weeks back on Kujata, hoping to cash in on the preferred world bonus.

Since then I haven't had the time to play, and now I find out that it's no longer preferred and I'm stripped of my bonus exp.

If not, I guess my other option is to create a new character again on another preferred world for the bonus (I didn't get much in anyway.). Only downside is that there aren't anymore of these left on the data center with Tonberry.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Do normal worlds ever go back to preferred status? I've went and started a new character 2 weeks back on Kujata, hoping to cash in on the preferred world bonus.

Since then I haven't had the time to play, and now I find out that it's no longer preferred and I'm stripped of my bonus exp.

If not, I guess my other option is to create a new character again on another preferred world for the bonus (I didn't get much in anyway.). Only downside is that there aren't anymore of these left on the data center with Tonberry.

Logically it would become preferred if somehow it loses people to other servers.

CrassHoppr

Neo Member
My girlfriend and I have been getting through Stormblood at our own busy pace, and are now 66.

On the side I've been leveling RDM and WAR, and one thing I can't get over is how much more I enjoy dungeons in XIV over WoW. In WoW, I dread leveling through the same dungeons I've done before, but in XIV I'm generally happy to do Leveling or 50/60 roulette and AMPED to do Trial roulette.

Anyone have theories as to what makes XIV dungeons more appealing? My best guess right now is just the spectacle of them - it feels like they put a lot more work into each boss/dungeon to make it memorable.

Interesting, because I've been doing the 50/60 roulette daily and I'm getting quite bored of it. Maybe I'm just getting weak party members, but since I'm doing it synced, we're at lower levels, and it just takes TOO LONG to kill each piece of trash. I wish we could just skip all that and focus on the bosses, which as you said, are fun. But when it takes around 15 minutes to clear the area up to each boss, it gets old... It's not like the enemies are hard or anything, unless you have a bad tank.

Ken

Is this a dungeon run or a boss? I'm confused about the singular doom spike either way.

I thiiink it's the dungeon? I'm not sure but they were doing a steady 1400~1700 through the whole dungeon and did full thrust combo on the giant spider pack between two gates.

Stuart444

So first 70 dungeon as a Dark Knight. Quite fun, loving The Blackest Night. <3

I do find that I'm using Carve and Split for MP instead of dmg a bit more in trash pulls though due to overuse of the blackest night but I can't help it, it's too fun to use it and then quietus for more mp >_>

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Good progress on O2S/V2S/Big Tentacle Eyeball thing yesterday. Saw the whole fight and everyone seems to be cleaning up the mechanics. We should get it on the next raid night.

ebil

So first 70 dungeon as a Dark Knight. Quite fun, loving The Blackest Night. <3

I do find that I'm using Carve and Split for MP instead of dmg a bit more in trash pulls though due to overuse of the blackest night but I can't help it, it's too fun to use it and then quietus for more mp >_>
You're actually doing it right, you should be using Carve and Spit for MP in big pulls!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In case you were wondering if this game was programmed well or not

There's a definite bug (engineering oversight?) in instance programming that causes things to happen earlier or later than intended. It's something that's been happening for a long, long time and has been found out by speedkillers quite some time ago but here's an example:

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/comp...tility=1&type=casts&view=events&source=602,18

This is two logs of O4S.
Starts inconsistently right away with one cast being delayed by half a second:

Well, this could be just orbital wobble, I mean, server ticks or log imperfection.
But unfortunately it progresses.

Halfway into the fight we're already looking at a 10 seconds difference!
By enrage, the group on the left lost 15 full seconds!

Good game Yoshi. Nice servers.

IvorB

They really do need to fix the servers. I don't know if it's moving to a busier server but the performance I experience right now is bad. A simple A rank hunt is turning into a slide show. Before that only used to happen with major S Rank fights. Shroud seemingly "going down" periodically. Then there's the instancing.

If this was free-to-play I would just suck it up but it's not. I've actually cancelled my renewal on my sub so that hopefully at least some of these issues are addressed (mainly the instancing) before I can resume. The only spanner is if this friend of mine decides he's into the game since he only joined to play with us and it would be f**ked up to ditch now. So that's pretty awkward.

But I'm really not happy which is a huge contrast with how smooth this game used to play for me before SB.

iammeiam

I remember this being a big mystery during A3S and the debate about the missing pre-enrage Ferrofluid and is it that the hands had to move more or you delayed a boss auto or what.

This may be the first time that I've been glad to be on the slower servers, though; I kind of want to compare some of our wipes to see if the occasional CD not being up in time for Almagest and coming up two seconds later is this inconsistency or just me being bad.

They really do need to fix the servers. I don't know if it's moving to a busier server but the performance I experience right now is bad. A simple A rank hunt is turning into a slide show. Before that only used to happen with major S Rank fights. Shroud seemingly "going down" periodically. Then there's the instancing.
I mean, the whole point of the instancing is so the former doesn't happen. The game just wasn't designed to have hundreds of players in one dinky little space at the same time and A/S ranks are a shitshow right now because of the stupid mount and Mat VIs.

If anything, its hunts that need to be addressed somehow. Ixion is a fucking sham.

scy

I remember looking into A1S (and A3S) attack script back in the day and learning that the boss may have a global range auto attack, he can still be delayed on the auto and it messes with the rest of the skill timings. Just a lot of odd things with the way the game tries to resolve server ticks at times too.

On the other hand, then you have cases of Almagest landing and the first DoT tick resolving within 0.1s and just having to accept eating ~30k raid wide damage because the server ticks lined up against you.

Valonquar

If anything, its hunts that need to be addressed somehow. Ixion is a fucking sham.

Out of the 8+ Ixion calls that I've been online for, I've actually made it to the fight once where he was still alive, he was at 35% by the time I got to him, and I have a single horn. He dies way too quickly, and there's way too many camping him. It's like Raubahn at pre-release levels of stupidity even attempting to get that mount atm :/

Out of the 8+ Ixion calls that I've been online for, I've actually made it to the fight once where he was still alive, he was at 35% by the time I got to him, and I have a single horn. He dies way too quickly, and there's way too many camping him. It's like Raubahn at pre-release levels of stupidity even attempting to get that mount atm :/
I tried once. By the time I got there he was at 50%. I then proceeded to get instantly DCed, had to wait a couple minutes before my character logged out and then when I got back in I was in a different instance.

Fuck that shit

ebil

Yesterday, I learned that simply using a Stygian Ash on Ixion was an automatic Gold rating for the FATE (or at least bumped up your rating).

I knew that using the first one was an auto Gold, I actually did have one on me but I made it 5 seconds too late. Still used it, and got Gold when everyone in my group got Silver. There might be additional conditions but you guys might want to carry one around to try it out.

Moaradin

Yeah, the last two Ixion spawns I did got me gold when I used the Ash. I don't think it's an automatic gold, but I definitely think it improves the rating.

LordKasual

Banned
I feel like I should be surprised or annoyed by a 200+ upvoted thread on Reddit whining about the removal of Wide Volley, an ability that was objectively worse than Quick Nock while also costing more TP but sadly I'm not.

I normally have an OK time with the places on Reddit I follow but the XIV sub probably kills more brain cells than rampant alcoholism.

I mean it was a cool animation, and it was neat to be able to AoE from a distance

but the move was complete trash and 99% of the time, the DPS using it was wasting his TP

The official forums aren't much better, people will complain passionately about fucking anything

studyguy

In case you were wondering if this game was programmed well or not

There's a definite bug (engineering oversight?) in instance programming that causes things to happen earlier or later than intended. It's something that's been happening for a long, long time and has been found out by speedkillers quite some time ago but here's an example:

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/comp...tility=1&type=casts&view=events&source=602,18

This is two logs of O4S.
Starts inconsistently right away with one cast being delayed by half a second:

Well, this could be just orbital wobble, I mean, server ticks or log imperfection.
But unfortunately it progresses.

Halfway into the fight we're already looking at a 10 seconds difference!

By enrage, the group on the left lost 15 full seconds!

1 second I'd say w/e
15 seconds off is holy shit territory.

My V2 parse yesterday was garbage. I thought we were wiping and stopped attacking for like 12 seconds. For anybody who has beaten V3, how important is healer dps for that fight? My statics AST doesn't dps at all, and I'm worried that we won't have enough.

studyguy

My V2 parse yesterday was garbage. I thought we were wiping and stopped attacking for like 12 seconds. For anybody who has beaten V3, how important is healer dps for that fight? My statics AST doesn't dps at all, and I'm worried that we won't have enough.

V3 health seems incredibly low. We've had very little time to raid and got the boss down to sub 50% with little effort.

Depends on how much RDPS your party has

iammeiam

Almagest hitting with 2 seconds left on light speed is currently the difference between me being able to solo heal through it and needing to tag in Rin to get through the first tick (I currently bubble the initial hit which means no precast shield reapplication, which I want to change eventually but for now has been safest), especially if it's the one paired with the stupid knock back.

How important healer DPS is is going to be really dependent on how solid your tank and DPS damage is. We've cleared twice now and I'm in the bottom quarter of ASTs for damage in both, but this week we had four deaths and still cleared with a good 30 seconds or so until enrage. You could subtract my damage from the fight entirely, and still make enrage.

That said, our tanks are incredibly aggressive about their damage, our DPS are all pretty solid when they're not dying, and our WHM compensates for my inability to button by just sort of spamming stone IV constantly. This was our clear last night, where my damage didn't really make the difference. This was our first clear, where it did.

So it's sliding variables; the more deaths you have, the more you're going to want everyone pushing as hard as they can. The cleaner your runs are, the less it will matter. If your DPS tends to minmax, healer DPS will be less of a thing. I try to push really hard at the beginning to get us a buffer, then just go into panic overheal as people forget how to mindjack and spend the last couple minutes trying to get themselves killed, but what matters is going to be super group dependent.

Next week should also be the first tome weapons hitting groups that have cleared O2S, which will further take some of the damage pressure off.

scy

To add on to that some as the Stone IV bot, the DPS to beat enrage on just the boss (aka, no add damage in the calculations) is fairly low at around ~20,300. So if your DPS are doing around 14k DPS combined (3.5k x4, basically), the tanks + healers are only looking at doing around 6.3k to match enrage. +/- some LB damage.

The more realistic total rDPS including adds for the fight ballparks it around 24k rDPS but AoE, Caster LB3, etc. tends to skew the specific contributions.

V3 health seems incredibly low. We've had very little time to raid and got the boss down to sub 50% with little effort.

~13.8M HP, and should be hitting half somewhere around the books typically? The front half of the fight is basically maxDPS time until final game board and then it's trying to do the last 40-ish percent before people die in the process.

Every job or class in the game scales off of a singular stat for its output. RDM shares gear with BLM and SMN, so everything it does scales off of INT.

Vercure is kind of a special case that's shared with Clemency (a PLD spell) in that it's a healing spell that doesn't scale off of MND - it scales off of your primary stat instead. It's a little unintuitive since MND is otherwise established as the healing magic stat, but it's done this way because gear design is done in a way so as to make this the only real option if healing magic as a utility is to be brought to something without substantial MND in the first place.

As far as Dual Casting, it operates on a very specific principle: Whenever you cast a spell that uses a casting bar, Dual Casting triggers, removing the casting bar from your next spell that would have one.

This means that Dual Casting will not trigger on a spell that has had its casting bar removed by Dual Casting, or a similar effect such as the role action Swiftcast.

This means that you would want to make the most out of it by making sure that you never utilize the casting bar on spells that take a long time to cast - you can cast a spell with a short casting time in order to remove the casting bar from a spell that would normally have a long casting time.

Your spells are basically divided up into two categories with regards to this: Fast spells and slow spells. Look over your spells - if it has a cast time of 2.5s or lower, it's a "fast" spell, if it doesn't, it's a "slow" spell.

So basically, you save time and are able to cast more spells by doing normal casting of your "fast" spells, and using Dual Casting to instantly cast your "slow" spells instead of using their long casting times.

Conveniently, all spells that come up via a proc (e.g. Verstone and Verfire) are in the "fast" category, alongside Jolt. So, if you ever don't have Dual Cast, cast one of these spells; and if you do have Dual Cast, cast either Verthunder or Veraero (your slow spells). Which one you cast should be in accordance with whichever type of mana you have the lowest on, as you should try to keep them relatively close in value - if one gets too high above the other, you hamper your ability to generate the lower kind until they become more balanced. At 80 of both types, go do your melee combo on enemies, and then go back to casting.

The wording can be a bit haphazard for dual casting, but it's really quite simple; finishing a spell with a casting bar, removes the casting bar for your next one. Once it clicks, the job is actually pretty straight-forward.

I'm two days late in thanking you. But seriously. Thank you. I finally get it. One question no one can answer, since it's an INT class, wouldn't it be better to put the stone on Thaumaturge as opposed to Conjurer?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
That's more of a flavour thing than anything else- cnj needs some kind of attacking spell to do solo content apart from just Aero (which has been a WHM spell in the past), and CNJ's theme (ignoring 1.0) is using nature-esque magic.

Unless you mean the Job Stone, in which case it doesn't use THM or CNJ; it is its own thing.

Orb

I think i might have bad gear or something but are the first heavensward enemies supposed to be weirdly super powerful? Specifically the deer and egg things in West coerthas and the obdellas and fat birds in the sea of clouds. I'm several levels above them but fighting even just two destroys me lol none of base 2.0 enemies were like this I don't think?

Akuun

I think i might have bad gear or something but are the first heavensward enemies supposed to be weirdly super powerful? Specifically the deer and egg things in West coerthas and the obdellas and fat birds in the sea of clouds. I'm several levels above them but fighting even just two destroys me lol none of base 2.0 enemies were like this I don't think?
What's the gear level of the stuff you're wearing?

Level 50 has a huge gear range because that's where the level cap was. The ilevel 45/55 stuff that you finish ARR with is like night and day when compared to the ilevel 110-130+ stuff you get at the end of ARR's expert dungeons, tomes, raids, etc, even though it's all technically for level 50 players. I'm guessing Heavensward assumes you've spent some time in ARR gearing up before tackling Heavensward, so if you walk into Heavensward content while wearing the stuff you got at the end of the ARR MSQ, you may be undergeared.

Apoptomon

Some players felt that traversing the over world was "too easy, bring back lvl 99s", so in Heavensward and Stormblood ordinary monsters hit hard and you probably want to try taking on only one at a time.

Pundere

Quick question: Just unlocked SCH and I'm wondering when I should use Selene and when I should use Eos. Just looking at them it seems like Eos is generally the better choice, but I'm sure Selene is better in spots.

Orb

What's the gear level of the stuff you're wearing?

Level 50 has a huge gear range because that's where the level cap was. The ilevel 45/55 stuff that you finish ARR with is like night and day when compared to the ilevel 110-130+ stuff you get at the end of ARR's expert dungeons, tomes, raids, etc, even though it's all technically for level 50 players. I'm guessing Heavensward assumes you've spent some time in ARR gearing up before tackling Heavensward, so if you walk into Heavensward content while wearing the stuff you got at the end of the ARR MSQ, you may be undergeared.

My SAM is 109 and my RDM is 111, both I think are pretty average for HW?

Some players felt that traversing the over world was "too easy, bring back lvl 99s", so in Heavensward and Stormblood ordinary monsters hit hard and you probably want to try taking on only one at a time.
Ok, good to know I'm not super underprepared lol

Its super weird going from overworld monsters beating my ass to single comboing vanu vanu in a msq

Akuun

My SAM is 109 and my RDM is 111, both I think are pretty average for HW?

Ok, good to know I'm not super underprepared lol

Its super weird going from overworld monsters beating my ass to single comboing vanu vanu in a msq
Oh yeah, that's pretty average for HW. I guess stuff just hits harder once you hit a new expansion.

Luminaire

I need to find out why my heals are hitting me when I'm focused on the tank and manually click the tank. I've cast Benefic to top the tank off before a hit, then ED to bring him back up but ED hits me instead. I'm not clicking or changing anything. About to submit a bug report.

Squishy3

That feel when the healer tells you to do big pulls and you do and then the DPS don't AOE meaning said big pulls were pointless BECAUSE WE DIDN'T GO ANY FASTER.

Luminaire

That feel when the healer tells you to do big pulls and you do and then the DPS don't AOE meaning said big pulls were pointless BECAUSE WE DIDN'T GO ANY FASTER.
Last night.

Temple.

I'm WHM.

Both DPS single target no matter the pull size.

I eclipse them in dps on both mobs and bosses.

Tears of blood.

rubius01

Healer asks for big pulls. Healer goes into MAXXX DEEPS MODE!!!!! Die on first pull after popping all cds. Die on second pull. Ok. Start doing normal pulls. Die on a normal pull. Healer tells me to pull more. I say nope, don't trust your healing. Healer gets pissy and whiney and calls me a shitty tank
he's not wrong......

Top Bottom