• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS production stops

The NDS, like the Wii, was proof that Nintendo isn't exactly nuts when they push a vision about games.

DS Lite was PERFECT - played all DS games, played all GBA games, perfect form factor. Remember when the DS was supposed to be a joke against the PSP?

Godspeed, NDS...that era of GBA into NDS from say, 2002 - 2010 was the pinnacle of handheld gaming for me.

Inotti

Awesome!

Does anyone fancy diagnosing my DS Lite problem?

I can't get a charge on it at all. It's just a dead brick at the moment. Tried several chargers, nothing - the orange charge indicator light doesn't even come on.

To me that seems like the internal battery has died. Is it possible to replace it? If so, is it affordable?

I miss my DS Lite (white) so much, I took it everywhere and would love to get it fixed. It's not the same running the games on an emulator ;_;

It either has one of it's fuses blown or the charging connector is broken. Anyway both fixes require some soldering skills.

I repair consoles as a hobby. ^^ I have 4 perfectly working ds lites (Zelda limited edition, nintendogs LE, transparent pink and black/white/pink hybrid that i made from spare parts) at the moment because I have fixed them but not bothered to sell yet.

Mit-

Hmm, I've been wanting one of those matte blue DSi's. Halting production has me worried that their price will never drop and will instead go up. I just wanted to pay like $80 for one instead of $100.

JordanN

Banned
It had good games with one of the worst graphics ever made (tying next to the PS1).

Now it's just my alarm clock.

Haunted

DYcX3.png

Wow...I have three of them, one phat and two lites (had to get that gold Zelda DS lite). They all still work, and I use them all at different places in my house. What a great system.

Cipherr

The legend. What a great handheld man.

I laaaaaaughed at the concept when it was first leaked that it would have 2 screens, and I chortled when I saw the DSFat for the first time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Holy crap on those numbers, I dont see the 3DS doing them at all, maybe 75%?? of the total.

such a great system :)

Good night, sweet prince.

I've been going back and buying the games I missed on it. I bought Hotel Dusk and Cory in the House several weeks ago, and next on my list are 999 and the Dragon Quest games.

Holy crap on those numbers, I dont see the 3DS doing them at all, maybe 75%?? of the total.

such a great system :)

If that were true the 3DS would hardly be a failure. Just a slightly less astronomical success.

The DS was fantastic. I still remember it was my first system I bought with my own money, Super Mario 64 DS and Warioware Touched. Looking back the launch lineup was so awful, but then I saved all my pocket money to buy Nintendogs. I really, really loved it. Then it introduced me to Animal Crossing... has a remake of one of my favourite games of all time (Heart Gold)...

It was pretty damn good in retrospect. 3DS is looking to be even better for me though.

well you know what I mean, the DS set the bar so high then burnt it down on it's way out.

Yeah the DS doing so well didn't really give the 3DS much of a chance. In fact, how well the DS had been doing gave everyone on GAF (and everywhere really) collective amnesia that the first two years of the DS were pretty terrible.

Just bought Dragon Quest XI actually, so I'm not done buying games for it either. With the games being so widely available, I'll be collecting for years no doubt.

Hmm, I've been wanting one of those matte blue DSi's. Halting production has me worried that their price will never drop and will instead go up. I just wanted to pay like $80 for one instead of $100.

If you're in the US, the matte blue DSi (non XL) was only in a bundle so the only way to get it is used. So I guess you might want to grab one if you can.

Here's a pic of mine:

But yeah, RIP Nintendo DS. You let me play Ouendan, all of Phoenix Wright, Tetris DS and a whole slew of games while also letting me play GBA games. So thanks for that.

Def Jukie

Fantastic system. Got a DS Lite right when they were available and later got an XL. Such a great, diverse library of games available for it. I think I have about 40 games or so. The 3DS is shaping up to be a fine successor to it and at least people will still be able to play DS games on the newer hardware. One area that you really can't fault Nintendo with is backwards compatibility. Full BC support on both of their current systems.

Add me to the list of people that still buys games for the system. Last week got Thor God of Thunder and yes, believe it or not the DS version is the only good version.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah the DS doing so well didn't really give the 3DS much of a chance. In fact, how well the DS had been doing gave everyone on GAF (and everywhere really) collective amnesia that the first two years of the DS were pretty terrible.

Just bought Dragon Quest XI actually, so I'm not done buying games for it either. With the games being so widely available, I'll be collecting for years no doubt.

I justt purchased a white DS so I can play my GBA games on it, I will also get some cheap games I didn't get the first time Around

also have to post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

as for the first two years i completely forgot how bad it was.

Fey

Banned
ib1T1SfjbyQnd8.gif

Truly my favourite system. I can't believe how long its reign was. I've been buying games for this thing since I was 10!

Still have my red phat DS that came with Mario Kart. All these years and I'm still playing great DS/GBA games just like when I got it as a Christmas present.

Definitely one of the most magnificent gaming systems ever.

Neff

Absolutely the most overrated gaming platform of all time, imo.

Its dedicated Mario was poor, its dedicated Zeldas were poor to middling, Metroid Hunters was Metroid in name only, other classic franchises never materialised, and the best games for it were ports, the biggest of which was crippled by the hardware's inability to support its controls.

I'll concede that Mario Kart DS was a masterpiece, but I mainly used the thing for GBA games.

3DS is magnitudes better at this early stage alone.

Absolutely the most overrated gaming platform of all time, imo.

Its dedicated Mario was poor, its dedicated Zeldas were poor to middling, Metroid Hunters was Metroid in name only, other classic franchises never materialised, and the best games for it were ports, the biggest of which was crippled by the hardware's inability to support its controls.

I'll concede that Mario Kart DS was a masterpiece, but I mainly used the thing for GBA games.

3DS is magnitudes better at this early stage alone.

I'll have to agree. The NDS succeeded because of unanimous third party support, even from those that didn't usually go in for handhelds. The actual Nintendo support wasn't very dedicated, at all.

3D Land already trumps anything Mario related they released, and LttP2 is already set to destroy PH and ST.

Any tips on picking up a Zelda-edition DS Lite? I've seen them on eBay and Amazon and the like, but apparently fakes are a problem (gold painted DS Lites with triangle stickers on them) and I can't really tell what to trust.

Hell of a little system. Godspeed you glorious abomination.

Mit-

If you're in the US, the matte blue DSi (non XL) was only in a bundle so the only way to get it is used. So I guess you might want to grab one if you can.

Here's a pic of mine:

But yeah, RIP Nintendo DS. You let me play Ouendan, all of Phoenix Wright, Tetris DS and a whole slew of games while also letting me play GBA games. So thanks for that.

Well actually, that's Metallic Blue, the color that I REALLY want, but I'm not going to ever get one in good condition without paying over $200.

The last models they manufactured for America were "Matte Blue" and "Matte Red". They had a very limited distribution last holiday season, and then started popping up in most all stores in January/February.

My only worry is that they're some newer, even cheaper quality DSi's, and I can't seem to find any reliable reviews/analysis of the things, but I figured what the hell. The color looks solid, and it's matte and not shiny (like the limited orange/green systems).

My favorite system of all time, right in front of PS1.

Awesome, and I still play it even today.

I was a hardcore doubter in the DS until I played Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. Then I never looked back.

We should be so fortunate to get a system that even comes close to approaching the same levels. I like 3DS but its nowhere near as awesome as DS was.

My favorite system of all time, right in front of PS1.

Awesome, and I still play it even today.

We should be so fortunate to get a system that even comes close to approaching the same levels. I like 3DS but its nowhere near as awesome as DS was.

I dunno about that. As has been said previously, first party stuff for the 3DS is already leagues better than the stuff that came out on DS, and it's getting better practically with every Nintendo Direct.

Third party stuff has been pretty good (REvelations, KH3D, some other stuff), though perhaps not as strong as the DS...still, all I really care about is Layton Vs Wright and Ace Attorney 5 getting localized.

Plus VC and eShop stuff...

I'm fairly confident the 3DS will have a library nearly as great as the DS in the end.

Ondore

It had a real good innings. TWEWY, 2 rounds of Pokemon, 999, Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick, Radiant Historia...

RIP DS

Inotti

I dunno about that. As has been said previously, first party stuff for the 3DS is already leagues better than the stuff that came out on DS, and it's getting better practically with every Nintendo Direct.

I'd take DS's third party support over 3DS's first party support anyday. Really, DS's game library is unbelivable.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 3DS. I just don't think it will ever be as awesome as good old DS. :)

Neff

GBA has jack shit on DS. Half of best GBA games were SNES ports anyway.

2 original high-quality Metroids, Minish Cap, MKSC, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity and the best Metroidvania Castlevania after SOTN can take a bow.

I better take extra special care of my XL, I still have a backlog of 15 or so games for it. It's been a stellar system for graphic adventures, story-based games, strategy, and RPGs. It was never going to compete with consoles on 3D graphics and cinematic production values, and developers knew it, so they catered to its strengths by having gorgeous art, well-designed touch interfaces, innovative use of 2 screens, and accessible pick-up-and-play games.

I remember reading from some gamers after the initial announcement that touch was just a gimmick. Oh, how wrong they were. This was the system that showed new intuitive forms of gameplay and interacting with a game that were only possible with touch. Don't get me wrong, dedicated buttons are still a must for a great deal of game types (which is why most phone games are just frustrating to me), but DS games wisely used touch to enhance, rather than replace controls, which resulted in some of the most seamless and immediate gameplay experiences I've ever had.

Top Bottom