• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

B.O.O.M

Well it leaked like only 4 hours before the deadline so it's no biggie I say

SO FRIGGIN HYPED!

I wonder what Gaia meant when she said no longer bound by 'blood'?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
It fails terribly in every game. The guy kills all of the innocent and the guilty alike in his reckless rampages. He is a colossal asshole, and one of the biggest selfish pricks in any video game. He has no regard for the consequences of his actions and is sympathetic to no one.

Every time he starts to cry about his family it's the most disingenuous bullshit. You cannot make this character sympathetic. He's a psychopath.

Look, I'm not saying they need to make Kratos a sunshine and lollipops kind of character. In fact, being a giant asshole selfish prick can be fun. But don't give me a reckless psychomatic murdering maniac and try to sell me that he's misunderstood or his actions are justifiable or something. That's stupid.

I do not want a sympathetic Kratos. All rage and no tears make for a great character.

BHK3

Banned
I don't understand, IS this another prequel?

I knew they didn't have shit to go off of, what the hell are they even doing now?

Ridley327

It really does sound like GOW1 though, unless I'm forgetting parts of the story.

I don't disagree with this assertion, which would make this game even more disappointing. Maybe they felt that they had the technology to do the battle against the Barbarians as gameplay and thought, "Hey, why don't we just do everything in the first game over?" and went from there.

def sim

Kratos could very well be the single most unappealing, morally reprehensible character in all of videogaming.

Constantly blaming others for his problems; I wonder who actually finds such a child-like trait appealing?

It's also silly that he gets rewarded for his hubris.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I don't disagree with this assertion, which would make this game even more disappointing. Maybe they felt that they had the technology to do the battle against the Barbarians as gameplay and thought, "Hey, why don't we just do everything in the first game over?" and went from there.

Honestly, basing it on the whole war before he killed his family would be better than this. Or maybe I'm wrong.

apana

It really does sound like GOW1 though, unless I'm forgetting parts of the story.

This also sounds good. I just still think Greek mythology is more popular than Norse.

I still think there is a strong chance this game is a retelling. Instead of Greek Mythology they could say this is the Roman interpretation of Kratos and I would be satisfied.

B.O.O.M

He doesn't blame others, he just kills them.

Seriously the character of Kratos is absolutely Perfect for GOW franchise. People will always complain about something or the other I suppose

Hale-XF11

I think I've had my fill of GoW. I skipped on whatever the last generic title was that came out. It's probably a safe bet that this will be just another iteration with a few tweaks here and there. Yippity hoo-ha.

Gsak

I still think there is a strong chance this game is a retelling. Instead of Greek Mythology they could say this is the Roman interpretation of Kratos and I would be satisfied.

The trailer mention Olympus. Not a trace of retelling/re-imagined.

jett

D-Member
Constantly blaming others for his problems; I wonder who actually finds such a child-like trait appealing?

It's also silly that he gets rewarded for his hubris.

In GOW1 he doesn't blame anyone but himself, which is why he attempts to kill himself at the end. I've always considered the first game to have by far the best plot in the series. It's actually pretty decently thought out.

I'm really interested to see if Santa Monica or whoever's working on it have made even further improvements on their GOW3 engine.

Should look absolutely incredible.

In GOW1 he doesn't blame anyone but himself, which is why he attempts to kill himself at the end. I've always considered the first game to have by far the best plot in the series. It's actually pretty decently thought out.

It was decent, but he was still an annoying protagonist.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really interested to see if Santa Monica or whoever's working on it have made even further improvements on their GOW3 engine.

Should look absolutely incredible.

Visually, even if it looked inferior, I'd still be pleased. GOW3 is one of the best looking game of all time. Would've been #1, if it wasn't for some of the special effects.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think I've had my fill of GoW. I skipped on whatever the last generic title was that came out. It's probably a safe bet that this will be just another iteration with a few tweaks here and there. Yippity hoo-ha.

Ghost of Sparta is actually quite good, definitely better than Chain of Olympus and even better than the PS2 games in some ways, I think.

BHK3

Banned

he also tries it in CoO, and in GoS, and does it finally in 3. It's almost a running joke. What the hell is this game going to be about? Breaking Kratos down even further into some raging asshole that just wants to kill everything while occasionally lamenting the loss of his family for 5 seconds? GoW 1 does have the best story because Kratos seems the most human, with real reasons to his rage and quest.

Top Bottom