• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Kenka

Guts doesn't necessarily have to be some embodiement of the human nature struggling against superior forces.

While human's lack of power in regard to casualty has given birth to a variety of myths, religions and superstitions over the ages, I don't see any compelling reason for Miura to reenact our long battle, as a species, against the odds in Guts' tale of heroism.

Guts doesn't necessarily have to be some embodiement of the human nature struggling against superior forces.

While human's lack of power in regard to casualty has given birth to a variety of myths, religions and superstitions over the ages, I don't see any compelling reason for Miura to reenact our long battle, as a species, against the odds in Guts' tale of heroism.

Well, I don't know why you'd tag it as an embodiment, but that IS a central theme. You don't even have to read inbetween the lines for that. Whether you boil that down to -> David vs Goliath -> Stale, whatevs.

Krammy

I stopped reading awhile ago but did they ever get off that boat?

More on topic, but what's the general consensus of the OVA's? I remember being really hyped for them when they were announced, but then being crushingly disappointed when I saw a lot of the big scenes were CGI, and even more-so when I saw there was slowdown in some of the scenes. Are they worth watching or should I stick to the manga?

Just dropping in to add my 'Hell yeah!' to the chorus praising Berserk. Hands down my favorite manga. Cannot praise it enough. Do have to wonder about the author's thoughts on women, though…

I stopped reading awhile ago but did they ever get off that boat?

More on topic, but what's the general consensus of the OVA's? I remember being really hyped for them when they were announced, but then being crushingly disappointed when I saw a lot of the big scenes were CGI, and even more-so when I saw there was slowdown in some of the scenes. Are they worth watching or should I stick to the manga?

No, the last chapter was 11 months ago. Well unless you count getting off on an island for 30 seconds.

I watched the first two again this weekend and really I find them "fine". I would not make a person new to it watch them over the anime or the manga but if you just want to see more Berserk then its all good.
The cgi takes a little getting used to but then some of the stuff like Him Vs 100 fight looks pretty nutty in places.

TnK

Best manga from Japan hands down. If only it continued at a better pace, also I feel it is losing some of its "dark" touch. It is becoming a bit too happy for my sake. It is good that Guts is getting some happiness for a change though. I will read the thread and give my thoughts on the discussions later.
My question is though, does anyone feel that the author will die before he ends the series, or if he will ever reach a proper conclusion?

Just dropping in to add my 'Hell yeah!' to the chorus praising Berserk. Hands down my favorite manga. Cannot praise it enough. Do have to wonder about the author's thoughts on women, though…

Alright, even the people from XSEED love Berserk. Good taste =D I think that he handles the women fairly well. Some questionable things do happen, but in general, there are some very strong female characters in the manga.

Killer is Dead was fun, and thanks for releasing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter <3

Meteorain

So I started reading Berserk after my initial worries were put aside.

Gotta say I am quite liking it. Its brutal as all hell though, there's literally no point being alive in that universe if you are female or a child. You're just gonna get raped and eaten :(

It's.also surprising to see the random changes from grimdark to typical manga hilarity with Puck.

I have been kinda marathoning it a bit and am currently where
Guts and crew are going to get on a boat from some dude who is trying to get hitched to Farenze.

Jarate

Banned

Gotta say I am quite liking it. Its brutal as all hell though, there's literally no point being alive in that universe if you are female or a child. You're just gonna get raped and eaten :(

It's.also surprising to see the random changes from grimdark to typical manga hilarity with Puck.

Guts and crew are going to get on a boat from some dude who is trying to get hitched to Farenze.

Oh boy, you're in for the best saga of Berserk!

I WANT TO GET OFF OF MR MIURAS WILD RIDE

I have to come to accept the fact that Berserk will never have a definite ending at this rate.

My sad concession is that I hope that one day, maybe years upon years from now, there'll be an animated adaptation that finally gets out of the goddamn golden age arc.

What were your initial worries?

I have to come to accept the fact that Berserk will never have a definite ending at this rate.

My sad concession is that I hope that one day, maybe years upon years from now, there'll be an animated adaptation that finally gets out of the goddamn golden age arc.

Well... He's 47 now. Unless something tragic happens or he retires we should have an ending. When is another matter.

I have more hope of AOIAF not ending than this.

Randam

such an awesome manga.
the visuells, the story and of course guts.

i started with the max version of the manga. 2 volumes in 1.
but switch to the normale version after berserk max volume 5, because it was so slow.

and damn, the normal version was expensive to purchase.
because of the max version, the old normale volumes dont get reprinted and some of them are extremly rare.

i am now at volume 35, but didnt even remove the plastic from the last 2.
i think the last one i read was 30, or 31.

i realy need to reread it.

cyborg009

Banned
His assistants are listed by name at the end of each volume. Checking Volume 28 shows 4 assistants and an editor.

Oh my bad.

The women shown in the series is pretty accurate for the time right? Or is it about when we were introduced to trolls and what they did to them.

Riposte

I really don't think so. If you follow it normally, throughout the entire Golden Age arc there is a sense of dread that just lingers because you know somethings going to happen. You seen the fallout of the ending, but you don't know what caused it. I think it really works,

I believe it softens the blow of the arc's end. Nevermind knowing the fallout, the moment at the end, even down to choice being made, isn't some unparalleled height of madness (at the end of a long, painful descent where things are becoming increasingly bizarre) because we've already seen something like it in explicit detail. And if it makes sense, it also lessens the connection to Guts slightly. It is all about his lifelong struggle and nothing starts it off better than the conditions of his birth.

UrbanRats

Berserk was great, but i really think he should've wrapped up before it turning into loot quest.

After the crazy inquisitors part, i would've gone for an ending.

Granted we got some cool visual stuff and some neat ideas, like the crazy alive armor, but the tonal shift was jarring for me, and now i lost interest in whatever shape the story has taken, sounding more like D&D than the dark low fantasy thing it had started as.

Band of the Hawk has done so much damage.

xzEHvUt.jpg
What is this referring to?

Because in Italy they're translated as Gatsu, Grifis, Caska and i don't remember the little girl, but something like the name in the image.
And Zodd is Zodd.

ALOOOONG time ago, I saw this PS2 game (Japanese only) on youtube.

Someone took all the cutscenes and edited in different Berserk game music to put together a fun little movie collection

http://youtu.be/IFcQ-cN1PKc?t=19s

Unfortunately, it being Jpn only means no English subs, but those familiar with the source material can follow along.

UrbanRats

I have that game (the Korean edition, actually).
It's kind of a repetitive hack and slash, but if you like Berserk, it's quite amazing.

The animations are just flat-out perfect in giving you the feel of being Guts, swinging the DragonSlayer or shooting the arm-cannon.

And the fights with Zodd and Grunbeld are some epic shit indeed.

Best manga from Japan hands down. If only it continued at a better pace, also I feel it is losing some of its "dark" touch. It is becoming a bit too happy for my sake. It is good that Guts is getting some happiness for a change though. I will read the thread and give my thoughts on the discussions later.
My question is though, does anyone feel that the author will die before he ends the series, or if he will ever reach a proper conclusion?

Alright, even the people from XSEED love Berserk. Good taste =D I think that he handles the women fairly well. Some questionable things do happen, but in general, there are some very strong female characters in the manga.

Killer is Dead was fun, and thanks for releasing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter <3

I pushed Berserk at the office for years. :) I think the boss will eventually just have to read it. And cheers for the game support! It's really appreciated.

Pardon? Could you clarify that a bit.

Sure. And before anyone gets too defensive about this, it's just an observation on the lingering camera attention to that sort of violence. I really like his main female characters a lot, especially in the latter half of the series
(Farnese, Schierke, Luca especially)
.(Not sure what's spoilery for people, so just tagging anything with potential)

Off the top of my head:

Tentacle monsters have their way with Casca before the pivotal rape by Griffith.

Casca's rape itself lasted a looooong time, if I recall.

Women raped/bred with trolls to become host to their offspring after which they're torn apart from the inside when the baby trolls claw their way out.

Pregnant women used in the Kushan Empire as hosts to birth their monster army.

Etc.

The violence in Berserk usually has a point, and it's not like
men are exempt from rape in the series (or sexual abuse a la Griffith's sort)
, but when it's a woman it seems to get extra attention that makes it seem more sexualized. I suppose that's pretty normal for a seinen series and very normal for that time period/setting, but it definitely gives me an eh feeling as woman. That's all. Still my favorite series.

Oh my bad.

The women shown in the series is pretty accurate for the time right? Or is it about when we were introduced to trolls and what they did to them.

Pretty accurate for the time, I guess, but add in the fantasy element and it gets bumped up to new heights. :p

Check out Berserk figure website called ''ArtOfWar''. They're overpriced now but their older statues are great. They're actually rare now.

Hmm, they don't seem to have much in stock, but thanks anyway. Will keep it in mind.

ALOOOONG time ago, I saw this PS2 game (Japanese only) on youtube.

Someone took all the cutscenes and edited in different Berserk game music to put together a fun little movie collection

http://youtu.be/IFcQ-cN1PKc?t=19s

Unfortunately, it being Jpn only means no English subs, but those familiar with the source material can follow along.
Damn, that game still looks really good. But wow, is the combat as clunky as it looks?

LaneDS

I'll post from these links instead.

I have this;
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/31028

This;
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/93516

This;
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/5561

This;
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/31249

Similar to this;
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/30911

And some other smaller ones. Pretty expensive though.

Oh wow, I've got this one you listed: http://myfigurecollection.net/item/5561 and I guess I didn't realize the rarity of it (at least it seems rare?).

I'd like a Berserker armor figure or statue... time to Google.

Subscribed!!

Berserk is the worst, since I saw the anime and read the manga...every anime/manga looks childish and stupid :( (except Blame!)

I'm now watching the movies...meh,3d is awful and the lack of Susumu Hirasawa on the ost is unbeliable, for me 50% of berserk is the music.

TTOOLL

Subscribed!

Can someone clarify how the movies relate to the anime? I've read the manga but haven't seen the anime nor the movies. Where should I start?

Tacitus_

Sure. And before anyone gets too defensive about this, it's just an observation on the lingering camera attention to that sort of violence. I really like his main female characters a lot, especially in the latter half of the series

Off the top of my head:

Tentacle monsters have their way with Casca before the pivotal rape by Griffith.

Women raped/bred with trolls to become host to their offspring after which they're torn apart from the inside when the baby trolls claw their way out.

Etc.

, but when it's a woman it seems to get extra attention that makes it seem more sexualized. I suppose that's pretty normal for a seinen series and very normal for that time period/setting, but it definitely gives me an eh feeling as woman. That's all. Still my favorite series

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I'm just going to disagree since the world is extraordinarily shitty for pretty much everyone involved.

Sure. And before anyone gets too defensive about this, it's just an observation on the lingering camera attention to that sort of violence.
I don't hold it against the series--and I have only watched the anime, which I absolutely love--but I definitely felt a tendency that, whenever things started to turn south, I knew an inevitable and uncomfortable
"Let's-try-to-rape-Caska"
scene would roll out that would make me cringe more than any of the other violence. It would never actually happen, of course, but I always knew, deep down, that it would maybe be followed through with one day...
and then it did. The monsters also seemed to sexually abuse her, too, and that spike-headed thing was getting dangerously close to vaginal territory. I didn't necessary feel that way about the getting-raped-by-Femto scene, but what came before definitely bordered being gratuitous for me.

Man, I really need to start the manga.

dan2026

The women in berserk get no more brutalised than the men. A lot of the violence is more sexualised though.

However I remember at least two times, men getting raped as well.

So the berserk universe really is sn equal oppertunity shithole

UrbanRats

Subscribed!!

Berserk is the worst, since I saw the anime and read the manga...every anime/manga looks childish and stupid :( (except Blame!)

I'm now watching the movies...meh,3d is awful and the lack of Susumu Hirasawa on the ost is unbeliable, for me 50% of berserk is the music.

Eh, Berserk is pretty awesome, especially the visual design of it, but there areplenty of other mangas that are more "mature".

cyborg009

Banned

Off the top of my head:

Etc.

, but when it's a woman it seems to get extra attention that makes it seem more sexualized. I suppose that's pretty normal for a seinen series and very normal for that time period/setting, but it definitely gives me an eh feeling as woman. That's all. Still my favorite series.

Pretty accurate for the time, I guess, but add in the fantasy element and it gets bumped up to new heights. :p

Wow I forgot about Luca she was amazing. We can also add Isma, Flora, and maybe Lady Vandimion.

But I can add to your observation like when
Casca got raped in "Winter Journey" along with the events that occurred after that.

Farnese almost gets raped by the Horse and then almost gets cut in half by Guts sword.

What chapter is the horse bit in? I cant remember that to save my life..oh god the troll bit was so fucked up, seriously questioned what I was reading when I hit that bit.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I posted this a couple months ago in the AnimeSuki forum:

The first time I watched Berserk was way back in 1999 shortly after Oriental Light and Magic studios adapted the story into an anime and was released stateside on dvd by AnimeWorks. I was totally blown the FUCK away by the series and couldn't believe how good it was.

Since then, I have waited very patiently for a continuation of the original TV series, with the hope of Oriental Light and Magic doing a direct follow up to the events of the 'Golden Age' arc. Sadly, this never happened and instead we've been introduced to three shitty CGI-esque movies that do neither the Manga or the Anime justice.

I cannot express how **painfully** depressing it has been waiting for SOMETHING positive to happen with regards to a new TV series. How hard can it be for OLM or whoever is in charge of the anime property, to simply greenlight a new 25-50 episode TV series project directly following the Golden Age arc?

Has anyone heard A*N*Y*T*H*I*N*G*? Not even rumors? This is something I'm desperately hoping for! And please don't recommend reading the manga. I don't read manga. Nothing against manga readers but it's just not my cup of tea. I get stimulated by watching anime, not by reading pages in a book(or onscreen by today's standards).

Man, it just breaks my heart knowing it's been 15 years and still, no Berserk TV series.

R.I.P Berserk TV series :(

UrbanRats

What chapter is the horse bit in? I cant remember that to save my life..

Basically
she tortures Guts, at a camp where he's held captive, but he manages to escape and takes her with him (i don't remember why, maybe as a hostage) however night comes and a dark spirit basically possesses the horse they're riding first and Farnese after it.
--
Personally i never watched the TV series.
I watched a couple of episodes after i was well into the manga, and dropped it immediately, as most of what i found interesting about the manga's visual flair, wasn't there.

Nibel

I'm now at the Demon Feast

The manga is superior in every way, holy shit

Much better dialogue, new characters (Wayld) and much more details

And the art is incredible

You're making me feel kind of guilty for telling people to watch the anime first. I still think of both the anime and reading the manga along the soundtrack to be my favorite and most memorable experiences in consuming fiction in any way, shape or form. But maybe the big Golden Arc collapse would be more powerful in manga form over the anime for a first time Berserk reader.

Yonafunu

The things I'd do to be able to go through Berserk fresh again...
Cherish it my man. CHERISH IT.

I'm re-reading it right now with the reprints I got from Amazon (initially read it on mangafox). The translation is immensely better with the Dark Horse books. I'm enjoying it even more than when I first got through all the volumes.

It's weird how much darker the start is than the current arc with Farnese and friends. I hope Guts turns full bloodhound and kills them all. Would be glorious

Dahbomb

I think Berserk was at its darkest from the end of Golden Arc (Eclipse) to the Conviction/Retribution arc plus a little bit after.

Top Bottom