• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Defenders - Reviews Thread

kswiston

Huh? Pretty much every major studio has been chasing it's coattails since. The set up and pay off of Avengers was absolutely a game changer.

He must have missed the DCEU. And the Dark Universe announcement. And Fox's expanded X-Men Universe announcements. And Sony's dreams of a Spider-verse. And Paramount's shattered dreams of a Transformers connected universe.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The review texts in the OP all sound terrible to mediocre. Yet the scores seem really high. What gives?

TV criticism generally sucks. There are a few good ones, but for the most part it's filled with enthusiast press who mainly do recaps for clicks and slap a score. The TV section of Rotten Tomatoes is a hot mess.

Anung

Un Rama
He must have missed the DCEU. And the Dark Universe announcement. And Fox's expanded X-Men Universe announcements. And Sony's dreams of a Spider-verse. And Paramount's shattered dreams of a Transformers connected universe.

And don't forget the MonsterVerse with Godzilla and King Kong. That one actually seems to be working out for them.

Only 8 episodes? Of all the Marvel shows to get a shorter season, Defenders is the one that gets the 8 episode treatment? That makes no sense to me.

Mrbob

I agree with others that the text doesn't match those scores. I didn't mind Daredevil season two so I'll watch this. Happy it's only 8 episodes (all these shows seasons should be 10 max) but taking 4 to get them all together seems like a waste. Marvel TV shows have too much filler, had hoped 8 episodes would trim the fat.

duckroll

Only 8 episodes? Of all the Marvel shows to get a shorter season, Defenders is the one that gets the 8 episode treatment? That makes no sense to me.

Episode counts are all dictated by the original contract Netflix and Marvel signed. The four solo series are 13 episodes per season, and the crossover series is 8 episodes. For a total initial commitment of at least 60 episodes.

This has nothing to do with creative decisions or concerns of pacing. It's all about the money deals.

JCHandsom

And the Kaiju-verse with Godzilla, King Kong, etc.

kunonabi

Cage and Danny are on point, Ritter is still killing it, Weaver continues to be a treasure, and Dawson isn't dominating the screen time? That's good enough for me.

kswiston

They peaked at DD S1.

Someone at Marvel get Drew Goddard on the line.

I think that I liked Luke Cage the best. The second half was weak, but the first half was strong enough to make up for it. It's definitely that or DD S1.

The Punisher stuff was good in DD S2, but I wasn't a huge fan of the rest. Jessica Jones was OK. I haven't watched Iron Fist yet, and am sort of annoyed that I will need to in order to have the full back story on the Avengers.

VeeP

Avengers was a game changer? Oh dear

Lol, so now it's no longer a game changer?

A lot of people didn't think Avengers would work. Having Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, etc in one movie? People literally didn't think it could be done. And after?

Now even movies like the Mummy, King Kong, and others are trying to have a "shared universe". Avengers was a game changer.

You don't have to like the movie, it's really not fun to watch multiple times, but it changed the industry.

Sojgat

Unfortunately, it also kicks off with a pitch-black fight scene starring Danny. Not the way to get people hyped, even if you are an Iron Fist apologist.

LOL Netflix Danny Rand staying shit-tier.

RangerX

Banned
The second half of Luke Cage and all of Iron Fist were rubbish so I don't have a lot of faith in this. I'll give it a shot anyway.

B.O.O.M

So what's the order of best to worst when it comes to Netflix Marvel shows? I figure I should give em a proper look before watching this.

I take Iron Fist is in last place. What about others?

Vic_Viper

Damn, this soon?

including a very cringe-worthy decision to play hip hop every time we see Luke in the first hour when no one else gets a soundtrack — we get it, guys; he’s black

HAHA I can't wait lol!

Hopefully Luke Cage and Danny Rand will form their destined bromance in this series so they can do heroes for hire soon! Both of their solo shows were the weakest of the 4 imo, but doing crossovers would be amazing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So what's the order of best to worst when it comes to Netflix Marvel shows? I figure I should give em a proper look before watching this.

Best to Worst. Dare Devil S1 > DD S2 > Luke Cage > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist.

1. Daredevil S1
2. Daredevil Season 2
3. Jessica Jones
4. Luke Cage
5. Iron Fist

I'd stop at 3 and just watch Defenders.

Beefy

Mine are:
DD 2
DD 1
JJ
LC

Iron Fist

kurahador

DD S1 > DD S2 > JJ S1 >> LC S1 >>>>> poop >> IF S1

Best part about JJ is David Tennant as the villain.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Sounds decent enough, looking forward to it.

I have genuinely enjoyed them all, even Iron Fist, it got far too much hate. My order is as follows:

Daredevil S2
Jessica Jones
Daredevil S1
Luke Cage (1st half S1)
Iron Fist
Luke Cage (2nd half S1)

Luke Cage has a notable drop in quality a little after halfway thru. Watch them in release order.

Harmen

Sounds decent, I am sure I will enjoy it enough.

I personally loved DD1-2 and JJ. LC was okay (felt low stakes and was too slow) and IF was lacking for me (was a mess and lacking the style/substance of the other shows). If this is somewhere along the line of the middle, I'll be content thought I obviously hope it will be something great alltogether.

Avengers was a game changer? Oh dear

It absolutely was.

TV critics are equivalent to video game reviewers.

Not really.

TV Critics from esteemed outlets like "We Got This covered" "This is Insider" and "411 Mania" probably aren't too much different from game critics at "Nintendo ShackHouse" "Fraghappy Reviews" and "Pwn 'Em All Gaming dot com" or whatever, though.

Sojgat

1. Daredevil
2. Jessica Jones
3. Luke Cage

Some people will tell you JJ is best, and I'd agree if it wrapped up around the tenth episode.

Pachimari

It depends who you ask. Iron Fist is better than the second half of Luke Cage, and some parts of Jessica Jones.

Optimistic for the show. Wanted to love Luke Cage, but that series crashed hard. Iron Fist was just pretty mediocre the whole way through. Hopefully this show can fix the issues both those series had.

Daredevil 1+2
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage(fist half of season)
Iron Fist
Luke Cage(second half of season)

Would more or less be my rankings.

Beefy

Think I will give this a miss, the LC hip hop shit will probably piss me off

I will watch it and get pissed off

Top Bottom