• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I was supposed to run yesterday but I just took off. Was absolutely shot from 2 days in a row of running about what I am used to. Going to get my normal training run in today and maybe do a 1-2 mile run friday before my Saturday long/

5taquitos

I'm coming up on the end of my 5th week running every day before work, having essentially done nothing active on a regular basis for years. I feel better than I have in a long time, and my knees are finally feeling normal. I can think better during the day, and my mood is much more stable.

Loving it!

Still sub-5k, but working up.

Fisico

For me very clearly the weakest link is finding the energy to sustain intensity. Leg muscles are fine, they could carry me to go way faster than what my lung+heart or energy burning capacities allow me to do. Especially when it's hot and/or I'm tired. On the positive, I become rapidly aware whenever I'm brushing with my limits.

And this is what makes you want to puke when you finish a race when you gave 100%?

To be fair I forgot to mention that usually when I go all out for a race (10k, half, marathon, triathlon) I always need to wait 20-30mn before eating something after finishing because I feel like I would not be able to digest it (drinking is fine though thankfully)
So maybe that's the same kind of feeling?

Why is it that you're lacking energy? You can't stockpile before a race? Can't eat anything (powergel?) while running?

Zoe

I'm at my wit's end with shoes. Spent hours at the runner's shop today feeling confident in my purchase only to regret it later on as I spent more time in my shoes.

Some facts about me: I'm EXTREMELY flat-footed. I over-pronate according to every gait analysis I've done, but that might be due to my anatomy (bow-legged).

I recently started running and was fitted with a pair of Brooks Ravenna 7 and developed some posterior shin splints in both legs after a couple months of running (5-10 miles/week, nothing major). I realized the shoes were sized too large for me, so I returned to the shop today to get fitted for a new pair while I rest up my legs.

First thing's first: The only shoes that have EVER felt comfortable for me were a pair of New Balance Minimus Vibrams shoes with almost zero support and a pair of Saucony Guide 7s.

Today I tried on so many fucking shoes, from Ravenna 8s to New Balance 860s to Nike Air Zoom Odyssey 2, and then finally settled on the Nike LunarGlide 8s. They felt comfortable at first despite the fact that my feet felt like they were "rolling in" a bit, but several hours after wearing them from the store my feet felt tired, a little tingly, and there was this pressure on the inside of my (nonexistent) arches.

What the fuck do I do? It seems like nothing the store guys are recommending me fit well. There's always something wrong. ALL my problems disappear at the end of the day when I take my stupid shoes off, it's incredible. Might that be why I enjoyed the minimalist New Balance shoes?

I don't even know why I'm posting this, I'm just hoping one of you guys might notice something and steer me in the right direction, because it seems like I have to waste more time and money figuring this situation out, all the while jealous of every friend posting his/her running progress online. :/

Are there wear test runs in your area? That's really the best way to try out the shoes.

Fistwell

And this is what makes you want to puke when you finish a race when you gave 100%?

To be fair I forgot to mention that usually when I go all out for a race (10k, half, marathon, triathlon) I always need to wait 20-30mn before eating something after finishing because I feel like I would not be able to digest it (drinking is fine though thankfully)
So maybe that's the same kind of feeling?

Why is it that you're lacking energy? You can't stockpile before a race? Can't eat anything (powergel?) while running?
The nausea and the not eating right before or during running, I think that's got to do with blood flow diverted away from the stomach and into the legs.

The energy thing, I have (like most people) a cruise-control instinct telling me roughly how hard I can push for the distance I'm running. But I do find it difficult to keep right on that edge. I'm able to do it when it counts, but it's mentally tiring. Outside of races, and depending on general fatigue, even dumb tempo runs can be a struggle.

But overall, it's not that I lack the energy reserves. It's the energy burning capacity that maxes out. The legs are burning, but the limiting factor is the overall general feeling of fatigue and discomfort, lungs struggling to suck in enough air, etc. I always took it for granted that this was the norm. I'm kinda weirded out that your legs would be the thing holding you back. But I think it may just be that I'm getting old at this point. ;)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Can anyone vouch for the running technique demonstrated in this video? Because I've never seen such a clear and succinct explanation of "mid-foot running." As someone who severely heel-strikes and has a long stride, I'm now certain that's the number one reason for my posterior shin splints. I cannot wait to try this new technique when I'm feeling better. I have NEVER understood how people run on their "toes" until now.

Fistwell

Can anyone vouch for the running technique demonstrated in this video? Because I've never seen such a clear and succinct explanation of "mid-foot running." As someone who severely heel-strikes and has a long stride, I'm now certain that's the number one reason for my posterior shin splints. I cannot wait to try this new technique when I'm feeling better. I have NEVER understood how people run on their "toes" until now.
Why hello there. I don't know who the old chubby guy is and I honestly did not watch more than 5-10s. Instead, I'll link this video on running form which is fine overall, although sage canaday is kind of annoying and the chick running has a lil' junk in the trunk. And out of memory he gets into his usual bullshit rant about 'ideal' cadence at the end which makes my blood boil ("180 steps a minute is the magic number that fits all body types all segment lengths all speeds it's magic!!!"). But! Decent foot striking form is demonstrated, complete with easy to pick up form drills and hot tips.

Nobody in their right mind runs on their toes. Fore-foot strike makes initial ground contact around the ball of the feet.

Best of luck!

panda-zebra

developed some posterior shin splints in both legs after a couple months of running (5-10 miles/week, nothing major).

10 miles a week after recently starting could well be major. Shin splints - too much too soon and bad form (for me when I started almost 2 years ago it was too much running too soon and heel striking in shoes with a large heel-to-toe drop).

but several hours after wearing them from the store my feet felt tired, a little tingly, and there was this pressure on the inside of my (nonexistent) arches.

Pressure on nerves as maybe your feet aren't used to taking a hammering there. Stick with it and push harder and that tingling might well turn into proper numbness. I've suffered with stuff like this as well. I find the flatter and less supported the shoes I wear, the better my feet feel and the less likely I am to get numbness/tingling. Add in regular easy foot massages and rotate shoes often if you can.

ALL my problems disappear at the end of the day when I take my stupid shoes off, it's incredible. Might that be why I enjoyed the minimalist New Balance shoes?

Not massively surprised. The most enjoyable run I completed recently was in the sunshine by the beach running barefoot over the smooth, weathered concrete of the promenade. Within the first few strides I could feel myself getting more on the forefoot and running more naturally. Not a great difference to how I normally run in my various Altras, but notably different. Surprisingly it felt really good and I pushed it a little on the return, going as fast as I can in shoes with none of the expected pain and skin-scraping I imagined I'd suffer. It was only a little trot but it opened my eyes a bit. I used to laugh at the idea of it, but there's a guy in my club who runs one of the Hull parkruns barefoot. Regularly wins in in the 17s. I've decided to try to get maybe 1km in here and there barefoot, have to find some suitable places though, too much broken glass and dog shit around here.

How about this - fuck those guys trying to tell you how "wrong" your physical shape is and their plans to force your body into their idea of what it should be with lumps of foam and rubber, go grab yourself the cheapest pair of wide, minimal shoes you can and give those a really nice and easy go instead.

Yes I run with the Dallas Running Club. This is my 4th "season" training with them (second year). I started with a PR of 2'20" for half when I first started training with them and am down to a 1'43" PR now. I am now planning to at least drop below 1'40" this December.

Strangely enough my weight has basically been flat over a year but I do think I am a bit more muscular. To be honest I think my body type is more suited toward triathlons than pure distance running because my calves/thighs are pretty big hahaha. I am going to work my weight down with a better diet this season and see what happens.
Do you pay to be in the club? And what event is your PR for?

Good luck with the diet! I would join a triathlon but I am afraid of the depths and I can't bike.

So frustrating not knowing how to bike.

Fistwell

Getting weird feels in left knee and both shins. Swapped yesterday's workout for easy miles, taking today off. Don't fail me now you old, frail, stupid body.

Fistwell

Doesn't feel too serious but I'm monitoring it carefully. Just wish I could train hard and not have to worry! I'll reduce mileage if I have to, but I'll be cranky about it. ;3

panda-zebra

Getting weird feels in left knee and both shins. Swapped yesterday's workout for easy miles, taking today off. Don't fail me know you old, frail, stupid body.

Oh no :( Do you have sports massages? Found those helpful when I was upping miles and had similar niggles. They're nice to have 4 or 5 days before a race, too. Have massage, take a couple of days off everything, ease back in. £15 for 30 minutes near here, worth it.

Ran on the treadmill for the first time the other day and wow it's a big difference so much easier to maintain a pace on the treadmill since it's set for you. I ran for much longer than I usually do.

Still prefer running outside though.

Fistwell

Oh no :( Do you have sports massages? Found those helpful when I was upping miles and had similar niggles. They're nice to have 4 or 5 days before a race, too. Have massage, take a couple of days off everything, ease back in. £15 for 30 minutes near here, worth it.
I probably have something like that somewhere around, but germany is difficult, google-map-ing "sportsmassage" I get beauty salons and thai massage places. But yeah, something like that would probably be good.

KeRaSh

For me very clearly the weakest link is finding the energy to sustain intensity. Leg muscles are fine, they could carry me to go way faster than what my lung+heart or energy burning capacities allow me to do. Especially when it's hot and/or I'm tired. On the positive, I become rapidly aware whenever I'm brushing with my limits.

My legs are in way better shape than anything else. It's like I skipped anything BUT leg day... I wish my stamina was better. That's really the only thing holding me back.

Getting weird feels in left knee and both shins. Swapped yesterday's workout for easy miles, taking today off. Don't fail me now you old, frail, stupid body.

How old are you?

/edit:

Why hello there. I don't know who the old chubby guy is and I honestly did not watch more than 5-10s. Instead, I'll link this video on running form which is fine overall, although sage canaday is kind of annoying and the chick running has a lil' junk in the trunk. And out of memory he gets into his usual bullshit rant about 'ideal' cadence at the end which makes my blood boil ("180 steps a minute is the magic number that fits all body types all segment lengths all speeds it's magic!!!"). But! Decent foot striking form is demonstrated, complete with easy to pick up form drills and hot tips.

Nobody in their right mind runs on their toes. Fore-foot strike makes initial ground contact around the ball of the feet.

Best of luck!

I can't really sustain a true forefoot strike for more than a few hundred meters. At that point my calves start killing me.
I'd say I'm more of a midfoot striker...

kottila

I probably have something like that somewhere around, but germany is difficult, google-map-ing "sportsmassage" I get beauty salons and thai massage places. But yeah, something like that would probably be good.

Go to a sports therapist or physiotherapist that deals with runners. They will detect any muscular imbalances in your body and give you the necessary tools to fix them. they also give massages

Bluenoser

Just joined the Strava club. Wish I had known sooner that it existed, but oh well. Any extra sources of motivation and encouragement are always welcome.

I should be able to hammer out a decent run tonight, as the weather has cooled down temporarily. This summer heat has been killing me.

Fisico

The energy thing, I have (like most people) a cruise-control instinct telling me roughly how hard I can push for the distance I'm running. But I do find it difficult to keep right on that edge. I'm able to do it when it counts, but it's mentally tiring. Outside of races, and depending on general fatigue, even dumb tempo runs can be a struggle.

But overall, it's not that I lack the energy reserves. It's the energy burning capacity that maxes out. The legs are burning, but the limiting factor is the overall general feeling of fatigue and discomfort, lungs struggling to suck in enough air, etc. I always took it for granted that this was the norm. I'm kinda weirded out that your legs would be the thing holding you back. But I think it may just be that I'm getting old at this point. ;)

I wonder, in fact sometimes I think that maybe I don't know how to run
(lol)

I mean how do you know you gave 100% of what you could give in a long race (10k, half, marathon)?

So far I encountered two type of races

1) I target a time, I follow the right tempo but at some point I somehow feel it's becoming too hard and that I may not reach it, usually I go a bit slower and finish the race suffering and below my target but not by far (my first half 1h43 instead of 1h40, my first marathon 3h39 instead of 3h30, 38mn20 instead of sub 38 at my last 10k etc...)
The reason that makes it hard are often due to a lack of experience in the distance at first and a lack of energy (didn't eat enough before/while my first half/marathon), or when it's too hot (my last 10k, one glass of water at 5k clearly wasn't enough for the race)

2) I target a time, I follow the pace and by the last quarter of the race I feel confident that I should reach it and even be able to beat it, I might then accelerate progressively
Funnily enough it happened at my 2nd 10k (45 -> 43.38), my 3rd and 4th half and my second marathon.
But I don't know how much is due to better preparation, and how much just to my race pace improving as time pass on and I continue to train regularly
Except for 10k (which at this point I almost consider as a "sprint") I also feel like I could have continue for a few more k at the pace I ran.

Like what should be the state you're supposed to finish in exactly in order to know you gave 100%?
I imagine it's closer to 2) than 1), but the fact I'm not exhausted by the end make me think that maybe my target time is maybe too high and I should have go for a more ambitous target?

Anyway I imagine it's a rather thin line between the two anyway and that reaching the "perfect" equilibrium is something is very hard to manage

Age might play its part too, I might as well get as more benefit from my age as I can
Soon 27 wouhou

panda-zebra

I mean how do you know you gave 100% of what you could give in a long race (10k, half, marathon)?

I suppose you can say you gave close to 100% but doubt even the best of the best manage to rinse everything they have at the perfect time for the perfect performance. Suppose it depends on any particular runner's confidence in their ability at any given distance they are running.

The way I go at 10k and half for PB isn't to pick a target time, figure out a pace and attempt to stick to it, rather just go out and push as hard as I dare for as much of the time as possible, kicking my arse into gear if I feel it getting anything like comfortable and not sufficiently hurty. A 5k and I constantly feel like I have to be hurting, just got to deal with it. After easing into a 10k kind of just push a little below that where it feels not unpleasant but hardly enjoyable, very similar for a half now, maybe not a year ago.

Marathon is the only race I've attempted with any real plan, a target time in mind both times I ran it. It's not fun to be constantly checking the watch and trying hard not to do all kinds of calculations on potential finish times, trying not to go too fast is weird and trying not to mess things up fuel-wise and just generally, it's all pretty stressful. Must be great for those people who can just go off feel and put in a great well-paced effort, but doubt that would ever be me at this distance given you have to fuel it, it's just not one fuck with and I don't dare go attempt it like like a half - seen lots of people walking from 18 miles doing just that! Probably why flat road marathons just don't have much appeal right now, trails with climbs that don't come with the hassle and expectation of exactly 26.2 miles of paved streets seem like a better way to enjoy running to me but still having that feeling of achievement :)

Fistwell

I mean, I know if I gave it all I have if I have nothing left after the finish line. It's never literaly a 100%, but I'm typically messed up enough by the end that I know I could not have given it much more without flaming out and having to slow down.

What pace I can stick with, I instinctively know on a 10K. I've raced and TT'd it enough to not have to think about it (although the last one I did I had to make myself slow down a bit a cple of Ks in). It's a combination of knowing what time or pace range I should be capable of, given previous races and current training/fitness, and seeing how I feel at target pace on the day. I'm a little more tentative on a semi, less of a natural distance for me. I'm worried for the upcoming M that I'll either be too conservative or not conservative enough. Better the former (or less painful), but I'd hate finishing with too much left in the tank. But, again, probably better that than to crawl the last 6 miles and rage-quit running altogether. :)

I think there's a point when your running when you know its either a pain that'll pass, like a stitch or whatever, and you just have to power through it, and when its painful because you've gone too far and its time to cool down.

Fistwell

Yes, true, but it's also a matter of saving energy, that your reserves last for the expected duration. On your last 5K, you could have run the first K hella faster. But you'd have been shit out of gas for the next 4. The longer the distance, the more you need to hold back initially and save for later. It can be a tricky balance to strike.

Edit: I'm high on not running today and having had two beers woooo!

Just joined the Strava club. Wish I had known sooner that it existed, but oh well. Any extra sources of motivation and encouragement are always welcome.

I should be able to hammer out a decent run tonight, as the weather has cooled down temporarily. This summer heat has been killing me.

Oh man- tell me about that summer heat lol. Bought a Fenix 3 HR at the end of May right before summer, and with the heat waves we've had in NorCal I've seen my heart rate jump anywhere between Z2 for an easy run to Z5 the very next day then back to Z2 the day after that for same pace thanks to the varying heat and humidity.

Fun stuff lol.

Bluenoser

Oh man- tell me about that summer heat lol. Bought a Fenix 3 HR at the end of May right before summer, and with the heat waves we've had in NorCal I've seen my heart rate jump anywhere between Z2 for an easy run to Z5 the very next day then back to Z2 the day after that for same pace thanks to the varying heat and humidity.

Fun stuff lol.

Yeah trying to do a HR run right now is almost useless. Trying to stay around 150bpm is next to impossible.

I'm in a more moderate climate (eastern Canada) but the summer heat is crazy, and very humid here. I've bailed on a lot of running days due to the humidex. I can't enjoy it if I can't breathe.

There is a Gaf Running Club? Awesome. Wish I had known sooner too. First time poster in this thread. Can I join? I always need motivation and support.

Yeah trying to do a HR run right now is almost useless. Trying to stay around 150bpm is next to impossible.

I'm in a more moderate climate (eastern Canada) but the summer heat is crazy, and very humid here. I've bailed on a lot of running days due to the humidex. I can't enjoy it if I can't breathe.

My policy is <95d I run outside. Anything more than that? Screw it, it's elliptical or indoor biking day :).

There is a Gaf Running Club? Awesome. Wish I had known sooner too. First time poster in this thread. Can I join? I always need motivation and support.

Sure can. Just hop onto Strava if you already have an account and look for the Gaf group!

Do you pay to be in the club? And what event is your PR for?

Good luck with the diet! I would join a triathlon but I am afraid of the depths and I can't bike.

So frustrating not knowing how to bike.

Its like 55 a year but you get 10 free races a year. It's like another 40-50 for training but its so worth the cost.

Fistwell

Went out to check the Munich M course on my long run.
nn2c.jpg
on2c.jpg
Missed a cple of turns, completely fudged up the loop around Km 33-36, so went a bit beyond 42, but generally got the gist of it. Not that hilly at all, only noticed one small climb. Glad to report knee and shins held up fine. Felt both once, at around Km 18, then nothing. Tried to put in a few marathon pace Kms on tired legs at the end, managed a few in the 4:20-4:30/K range but nothing spectacular. Legs are tiiired right now. But it's all ok, only need a cheeky 3K sometime tomorrow to wrap up weekly mileage. Now beers then napZZzzzzZZzZ.

Missed a cple of turns, completely fudged up the loop around Km 33-36, so went a bit beyond 42, but generally got the gist of it. Not that hilly at all, only noticed one small climb. Glad to report knee and shins held up fine. Felt both once, at around Km 18, then nothing. Tried to put in a few marathon pace Kms on tired legs at the end, managed a few in the 4:20-4:30/K range but nothing spectacular. Legs are tiiired right now. But it's all ok, only need a cheeky 3K sometime tomorrow to wrap up weekly mileage. Now beers then napZZzzzzZZzZ.

Good, good. Have you decided on a feeding strategy yet? How are the stations along the course, enough of them and well spaced?

Fistwell

Good, good. Have you decided on a feeding strategy yet? How are the stations along the course, enough of them and well spaced?
It's the V's and E's in yellow circles. One is drinks only the other drinks + food (gels, fruits, sauerkraut, wurtz, etc.). I plan to start with one or two powerades and a crapton of gels. I'll swap out powerades for whatever they have at the drink stations ("isotonic sports drinks," we'll see what that is) as I empty them. I'll probably stick to my own gels.

panda-zebra

That's a proper effort both in terms of the run and getting so close tothe route. Now you've seen the course and done the distance (and more) has to give you a good boost.

Legs are tiiired right now. But it's all ok, only need a cheeky 3K sometime tomorrow to wrap up weekly mileage. Now beers then napZZzzzzZZzZ.

Nah, forget that, the rest would do you more good - more carb load and snoozing again!

It's the V's and E's in yellow circles. One is drinks only the other drinks + food (gels, fruits, sauerkraut, wurtz, etc.). I plan to start with one or two powerades and a crapton of gels. I'll swap out powerades for whatever they have at the drink stations ("isotonic sports drinks," we'll see what that is) as I empty them. I'll probably stick to my own gels.

Don't risk their drinks without trying. I got such a foul bright red one at the mid-week race, disgusting with a catalogue of coded additives. Wouldn't have looked out of place with those xb1x doritos!

And lol Germany, fucking sausage as you marathon? hahaha. fruit though :thumbsup:

sixghost

I'm at my wit's end with shoes. Spent hours at the runner's shop today feeling confident in my purchase only to regret it later on as I spent more time in my shoes.

Some facts about me: I'm EXTREMELY flat-footed. I over-pronate according to every gait analysis I've done, but that might be due to my anatomy (bow-legged).

I recently started running and was fitted with a pair of Brooks Ravenna 7 and developed some posterior shin splints in both legs after a couple months of running (5-10 miles/week, nothing major). I realized the shoes were sized too large for me, so I returned to the shop today to get fitted for a new pair while I rest up my legs.

First thing's first: The only shoes that have EVER felt comfortable for me were a pair of New Balance Minimus Vibrams shoes with almost zero support and a pair of Saucony Guide 7s.

Today I tried on so many fucking shoes, from Ravenna 8s to New Balance 860s to Nike Air Zoom Odyssey 2, and then finally settled on the Nike LunarGlide 8s. They felt comfortable at first despite the fact that my feet felt like they were "rolling in" a bit, but several hours after wearing them from the store my feet felt tired, a little tingly, and there was this pressure on the inside of my (nonexistent) arches.

What the fuck do I do? It seems like nothing the store guys are recommending me fit well. There's always something wrong. ALL my problems disappear at the end of the day when I take my stupid shoes off, it's incredible. Might that be why I enjoyed the minimalist New Balance shoes?

I don't even know why I'm posting this, I'm just hoping one of you guys might notice something and steer me in the right direction, because it seems like I have to waste more time and money figuring this situation out, all the while jealous of every friend posting his/her running progress online. :/
This sounds a lot like my situation.

The only thing that ever made me understand midfoot/forefoot landing technique was running barefoot occasionally and watching this video before I ran. I was lucky enough to have a stretch of sidewalk/street near my house that is extremely clean and free from crap like rocks and other debris. Even then it turned out to be a really stupid idea, because I hurt myself when I stepped on a thorn or something and couldn't walk for a few days. The whole experience completely sold me on minimal running shoes through. I bought some Merrell Trail Gloves to run at a nature preserve near me, and a pair of Merrell's Bare Access for running on pavement and I love both of them. My feet and knees feel considerably better during and after long runs now. I don't know if it is the flatter shoes or the change or running motion or both. The arches in my feet have even started to strengthen a little bit.

I would absolutely not recommend running barefoot unless you can do it at an indoor track or treadmill, and even then you should only be running like .25 or .5 miles at first. Doing it outside was not the smartest thing in the world to do, but it helped me a ton. Also, don't get obsessed with the idea of forefoot landing. Forcing myself to do that results in a really awkward, short stride. The thing that clicked with me was landing mid-foot (meaning your entire foot touches the ground at the same time) slightly in front of your hips with your knee slightly bent.. It's hard to explain in text, so if you are interested you should watch that video. That guy has the most beautiful running stride I've ever seen.

Fistwell

That's a proper effort both in terms of the run and getting so close tothe route. Now you've seen the course and done the distance (and more) has to give you a good boost.
Yah I'm feeling pretty OK about it. What little marathon pace I squeezed in there in latter parts wasn't super fun but it was comfortable enough. A few more tune-up workouts over the last month and a proper taper, I'll be ready.

Nah, forget that, the rest would do you more good - more carb load and snoozing again!
lol noone will stop me from completing target weekly mileage! But in all seriousness, legs feel better already after a short nap (skipped the beers, went straight for the ZZzzZZs). An easy 3K tomorrow won't kill me.

Don't risk their drinks without trying. I got such a foul bright red one at the mid-week race, disgusting with a catalogue of coded additives. Wouldn't have looked out of place with those xb1x doritos!

And lol Germany, fucking sausage as you marathon? hahaha. fruit though :thumbsup:
Yeah I should pick up the phone and ask what specifically they'll have. You can bring your own the day before, they set it up for you. But I'd rather be able to pick a random one than stressing about having to hunt down mine and waste time.

The sausage (and sauerkraut) were a joke. ;)

That said, I would not put it beyond the locals! :)

panda-zebra

The sausage (and sauerkraut) were a joke. ;)

That said, I would not put it beyond the locals! :)

haha ffs, I should have realised with the sauerkraut, but maybe they can get that stuff squeezed into gel tubes. I can totally see some people scoffing sausages as they run though. If it was there they just would. I'm sure I know a few who wouldn't be able to resist in fact.

I'm also extremely flat-footed - no arch at all, pretty much. There are only a few shoes that work for me. My number one is the Asics Gel Kayano. I've never worn a more comfortable shoe for my feet. If the Kayano is out of your price range there's also the GT-2000. I use the Asics DS Trainer for races.

I did 10k today (which I checked to ensure it was definitely 10k) and that was easy enough after wrecking myself on wednesday. I've seen people round here smoking while running, 5 or 6 times now, I'm wondering if its a trend I'm unaware of. Like running with either lit cigarettes or vaping, its weird.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm also extremely flat-footed - no arch at all, pretty much. There are only a few shoes that work for me. My number one is the Asics Gel Kayano. I've never worn a more comfortable shoe for my feet. If the Kayano is out of your price range there's also the GT-2000. I use the Asics DS Trainer for races.

Will look into those!

Do you wear inserts with them?

fester

Banned
I did 10k today (which I checked to ensure it was definitely 10k) and that was easy enough after wrecking myself on wednesday. I've seen people round here smoking while running, 5 or 6 times now, I'm wondering if its a trend I'm unaware of. Like running with either lit cigarettes or vaping, its weird.

I'd call that more than just "weird", it completely defeats the health benefits you're trying to obtain by running in the first place.

panda-zebra

I'd call that more than just "weird", it completely defeats the health benefits you're trying to obtain by running in the first place.

There's health benefits? Never been as sore and broken as I have been since I started running. And my jeans don't fit over my calves anymore. It's practically ruined my life.

I've seen people vaping before running a few times, even one of my clubmates. But not actually during. You can read about replacing one addiction with another, but stacking them probably gives the best buzz.

Fistwell

There's health benefits? Never been as sore and broken as I have been since I started running. And my jeans don't fit over my calves anymore. It's practically ruined my life.
Look at this drama queen over here. :)

I've seen people vaping before running a few times, even one of my clubmates. But not actually during. You can read about replacing one addiction with another, but stacking them probably gives the best buzz.
It's baffling to me. I used to smoke...a pack a day for 10 years, I understand the addiction. I would smoke after 'sport', but felt bad about it. Seeing how difficult it is to improve fitness, I don't get smoking and running. I have a friend who does that. He's also about 15Kg overweight. He lays down those complicated training plans to improve, but how about losing the cigs and not stuffing your face? He's more interested in the idea of himself running than actually getting anywhere. /rant

Luxorek

Hi, everyone! On a whim today I decided to see if there's an OT for running here on Neogaf and lo and behold, there is. It's cool to see so many people running and sharing their experiences.

I picked up running recently after more than two year break. I started mid July and do three to four runs every week. I'm in a pretty good shape, but needed to burn some fat... and some time too.

Here are my times after 1,5 month. I have time till mid September before going to sea for work, so I hope to improve my 3k, 5k and 10k before then. I will attempt another half-marathon distance, probably next weekend.

Times measured with Endomondo app. I will probably invest in a Garmin watch soon, Vivoactive HR most likely to help improve my pace.

Hi, everyone! On a whim today I decided to see if there's an OT for running here on Neogaf and lo and behold, there is. It's cool to see so many people running and sharing their experiences.

I picked up running recently after more than two year break. I started mid July and do three to four runs every week. I'm in a pretty good shape, but needed to burn some fat... and some time too.

Here are my times after 1,5 month. I have time till mid September before going to sea for work, so I hope to improve my 3k, 5k and 10k before then. I will attempt another half-marathon distance, probably next weekend.

Times measured with Endomondo app. I will probably invest in a Garmin watch soon, Vivoactive HR most likely to help improve my pace.

Welcome aboard.

Thats damn good for a few months work.

panda-zebra

Look at this drama queen over here. :)

jffdql.jpg

He's more interested in the idea of himself running than actually getting anywhere. /rant

Hmmm yep they're not in short supply... burn your ears off with all their plans and goals but something blindingly obvious that will help improve *everything* and... nope.

My brother smokes still sometimes and drinks heavily when he has to go to Russia and Cyprus for work, says they don't understand the concept of "no thanks". Blames it on the culture and his job that requires him to be in that kind of situation, but I don't buy that completely, I think he knows he can get by in ultras with lots of walking and plodding. His 5k & 10k times have gone to shit.

Ugh, having a stretch of energy issues.

I've pushed myself up a step in my lifting routine for the first time in a while over the past two months. In conjunction with this I lowered the carb totals in my diet, and substituted more fat and protein, and added a couple hundred more calories usually in avocado and nuts, but it's just not working.

I'm not more hungry, but I'm constantly feeling trashed and depleted. I'm also burning out around 10k on my runs. The fitness level is there, I was running killer times and feeling strong before the change, but now my legs feel sluggish from the jump, and whole body is feels like jelly at 8k, and by 10 I'm just out of gas.

Haven't been able to get close to my previously usual 15k and weekend 21. Also starting to feel winded and really fighting through my lifting sessions now too.

Anyone else gone through this? Does your body adapt or is the heavy carb diet essential with this kind of routine?

Top Bottom