• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Baki

Maybe it's an age thing, but they definitely don't get the benefit of the doubt from me because I have 0 reasons to believe they are technical wizards. I've already pointed out previous generations, but if you want I can always point out to the fact that devs who look to take advantage of more powerful hardware than the PS3, have produced better looking games than Sony's 1st party studios.

There's a lot of talented people out there in the dev community, spread to studios across the globe. People are out of their minds if they think that Sony just managed to hire them all. Again either look at history or at current reality.

Sonys first party efforts last gen were technically impressive. Just look at what Sony Cambridge put out or the Getaway. Not to mention jak and dexter and god of war.

Reiko

Banned
Maybe you could point one out that you consider to be something unparalleled. It's not like I'm saying they aren't good, I'm just saying it's not like Konami did something that was impossible for any other developer to do. Square could have done the same thing given the same scenes to work with, so could Capcom.

Time and money (lots of money) to devote to the games is what you're seeing--talent too, but that still requires money. The SH games in particular make liberal use of shadows or simple plain backgrounds for at least half of the screen to shore up the system's limitations. A lot of what I've seen in those cutscenes look good, but much if it's just aesthetics, because so much of them still look decidedly PS2 era. The most impressive thing about the gif is the facial animations. But there's not much else going on.

Those cutscenes were unparallelled for their time.

Final Fantasy X had realtime cutscenes like Silent Hill 3. But the LOD management and chess piece animations on some characters were jarring.

eso76

Off topic, but how does the pi handle 1080p decoding? I was thinking about farting around with one.

Can't answer that, sorry.
I've only streamed stuff through wi-fi so far, and i don't think that would work for 1080p. Haven't tried though. I did stream a few 720p .mkv videos, they worked like a charm.

Sanctuary

Those cutscenes were unparallelled for their time.

Final Fantasy X had realtime cutscenes like Silent Hill 3. But the LOD management and chess piece animations on some characters were jarring.

FFX was the first thing that came to mind when trying to recall something that I'd already seen on the PS2 that was similar. It was also one of the very first games; so maybe if they had as many years to work with the system as what Konami had prior to SH3 you would have seen better results. I don't know how the dev teams worked back in those days, but it's pretty common now for companies as a whole to share their overall technical experience from one team to another, or simply asking for help from someone who is known to be good at something, even if they aren't specifically tasked with that project.

Reiko

Banned
FFX was the first thing that came to mind when trying to recall something that I'd already seen on the PS2 that was similar. It was also one of the very first games; so maybe if they had as many years to work with the system as what Konami had prior to SH3 you would have seen better results.

Kingdom Hearts 1&2 would be the more appropriate comparison then.

But there's still LOD issues in those cutscenes too.

Ok Junior completely ignore the portions of your post I was commenting on, you will do well here is putting it mildly.

Pulling the Junior card is unbecoming. But I'll bite...

Maybe it's an age thing, but they definitely don't get the benefit of the doubt from me because I have 0 reasons to believe they are technical wizards. I've already pointed out previous generations, but if you want I can always point out to the fact that devs who look to take advantage of more powerful hardware than the PS3, have produced better looking games than Sony's 1st party studios.

There's a lot of talented people out there in the dev community, spread to studios across the globe. People are out of their minds if they think that Sony just managed to hire them all. Again either look at history or at current reality.

KuGsj.gif

If ND and GG were able to squeeze that much blood out of the stone that is the Cell and that shitty split memory architecture. Imagine what they will do with the raw power they are going to have now.

So tell me how my comment about devs that take advantage of more powerful hardware than PS3 produce better lookings games than Sony's first party studios warrants a response like that?

Where was I saying that if given more powerful hardware Sony studios wouldn't be capable of delivering more?

If I didn't say that, why twice did you attempt mockery? It looks bad on you.

Globox_82

Banned
correct me if I am wrong but rereading the article again it sounds like there is more then one secret thing in Orbis?

However, there's a fair amount of "secret sauce" in Orbis and we can disclose details on one of the more interesting additionS.

Respawn

Banned
Not going to lie: I like the new post-Kutaragi Sony. Vita is an excellent piece of hardware and Orbis sounds no different. Both seem to be plenty powerful, focused on videogames but not overly expensive. Just reasonable design all around. I hope it pays off for Sony, they deserve a break for backing us gamers while other companies seem to have a different agenda.

yup

SgtCobra

Underwhelming specs? 4GB of ram isn't really something I think is future proof, open world games are going to have problems a la PS3 no?
Durango is using 8GB minus OS (which just can't be 3GB, that's just too much)
And after reading that the PS4 version of Planetside 2 would need some adjustments and removal of some effects...bleh.
Can somebody put my concerns to rest?

Reiko

Banned
Underwhelming specs, 4GB of ram isn't really something I think is future proof, open world games are going to have problems a la PS3.
And after reading that the PS4 version of Planetside 2 would need some adjustments and removal of some effects...bleh.

Stop taking incomplete/incorrect specs as gospel.

Underwhelming specs? 4GB of ram isn't really something I think is future proof, open world games are going to have problems a la PS3 no?

Devs think it's a big jump, one even thinks a quantum leap. Let's trust in them, and what little of next gen has been shown.

Sanctuary

Kingdom Hearts 1&2 would be the more appropriate comparison then.

But there's still LOD issues in those cutscenes too.

Despite the LOD issues, FFX still had some damn impressive cutscenes for such a comparatively early game. What made it somewhat annoying though was how Square still insisted on combining prerendered scenes with in game engine rendering.

I want to see real time rendering on the new systems that looked as good as the prerendered scenes in FFX. We will probably see it too, or at least something extremely close to it (I remember when the PSX was doing prerenders, and I was wondering how long it would be until we saw those from an in game engine).

Also, this 4GB whining is ridiculous. Even today most modern PC games don't even use 4GB of ram, and they still have the OS to contend with. 4GB for a dedicated gaming machine is plenty large.

Then again most video cards are sitting at 1GB minimum of Vram, and I don't know what the equivalent of that is for the PS4 architecture.

omonimo

Banned

Jeez, why people continues to think 4GB of GDDR5 are comparable/worst to 8 GB DDR3? It's really ignorant & stop to use Crytek claims for that, what has said Crytek is generic & incomplete about the RAM.

velociraptor

Sony should really add 2GB DDR3 extra I think. 4GB isn't enough.

Reiko

Banned
Despite the LOD issues, FFX still had some damn impressive cutscenes for such a comparatively early game. What made it somewhat annoying though was how Square still insisted on combining prerendered scenes with in game engine rendering.

I want to see real time rendering on the new systems that looked as good as the prerendered scenes in FFX. We will probably see it too, or at least something extremely close to it (I remember when the PSX was doing prerenders, and I was wondering how long it would be until we saw those from an in game engine).

Agreed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Where was that said about Planetside 2, out of curiousity?

Re. RAM, I think 4GB is this gen's 512MB. Bethesda went from Morrowind to Skyrim on the same type of jump. Indeed, the PS3->PS4 jump will effectively be bigger than Xbox->360 given the woes Bethesda had with PS3's memory architecture.

Jeez, why people continues to think 4GB of GDDR5 are comparable/worst to 8 GB DDR3? It's really ignorant & stop to use Crytek claims for that, what has said Crytek is generic & incomplete about the RAM.

There's no right way to look at it right now. TFLop vs Tflop, RAM vs RAM, Special Sauce vs Secret Sauce...

Each of us looks at it and draws conclusions. His reasoning that 8GB of ram vs 4 GB of ram is completely different than yours, yet he doesn't seem any more wrong.

No. PS4 RAM is about double(?) the speed of the 720's.
Am on the assumption that any OS over say 225MB for the Durango will start to put it behind the Orbis. Not the case for all games, am just talking about the general effect.

Am also under the assumption that open world games are just expanded versions of what you get in a linear game. They all have their needs and the open world feature just means some things have to be scaled back.

Planetside 2 meanwhile is a different matter; its not that things are getting removed as such but the game needs to be optimised to the device. Only certain PCs will get it running at full pelt, the PS4 won't have the graphics card for that game I'd suggest (?).

Meanwhile you'll see exactly the same on Durango.

But who knows, maybe am being unfair on Durango but as it stands it seems very messy and like a big trade off for that OS has been made.

Where was that said about Planetside 2, out of curiousity?

Re. RAM, I think 4GB is this gen's 512MB. Bethesda went from Morrowind to Skyrim on the same type of jump. Indeed, the PS3->PS4 jump will effectively be bigger than Xbox->360 given the woes Bethesda had with PS3's memory architecture.

compared to last gen it's 8x. i mean sony is reserving the entire ps3 ram just for the os, to put it in perspective.

and xbox is 16x, i guess ram is the one spec we were not remotely let down in.

Sanctuary

I really don't see how 4GB of faster ram vs double that of the slower is going to make a huge difference either way in an open world type of game. It just means the faster ram will have to be dumping it's cache more often, but it shouldn't matter at all. It's not like a single game would be using all of a system's ram for one location. For most games I'd rather have faster ram anyway vs a larger amount. It makes it easier to work with across more genres.

eso76

i like how a lot of people were saying expecting more than 2GB in next gen consoles was unrealistic only a few months ago and now 4GB is not enough.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Not that I think this is at all necessary because GDDR5 is really fast, but wouldn't it be a huge boost (and dirt cheap) for Sony to just throw in 1GB of DDR3 to handle the OS so that all 4GBs of GDDR5 could be used for games?

omonimo

Banned
There's no right way to look at it right now. TFLop vs Tflop, RAM vs RAM, Special Sauce vs Secret Sauce...

Each of us looks at it and draws conclusions. His reasoning that 8GB of ram vs 4 GB of ram is completely different than yours, yet he doesn't seem any more wrong.

For nothing, with all respect. 8 GB of RAM not means anything, especially at half speed. & edram doesn't solve this issue magically, remember of the tiling; you can't state something like 8 GB it's all when even you don't know the rest of specs, not has sense.

Devs think it's a big jump, one even thinks a quantum leap. Let's trust in them, and what little of next gen has been shown.

Thing is... what little of next gen has been shown was shown on hardware that's 60-70 percent faster than what's rumored to be in ps4. So it isn't representative at all.

kinggroin

Banned
Really sucks so many of you are hung up on raw numbers rather than what those numbers mean exactly.

8>4 in the world of computing tech doesn't necessarily hold true nor does it tell the whole story.

Let's say best case scenario is that Durango allocates 6 GB for games. The much faster Orbis ram can help offset raw size differences by swapping faster.

And thats not to speak of games that won't even utilize the full 4GB pool (3.5GB) let alone 6 or 8. In those cases, Orbits will have a fantastic advantage here.

No. PS4 RAM is about double(?) the speed of the 720's.
Am on the assumption that any OS over say 225MB for the Durango will start to put it behind the Orbis. Not the case for all games, am just talking about the general effect.

Am also under the assumption that open world games are just expanded versions of what you get in a linear game. They all have their needs and the open world feature just means some things have to be scaled back.

Planetside 2 meanwhile is a different matter; its not that things are getting removed as such but the game needs to be optimised to the device. Only certain PCs will get it running at full pelt, the PS4 won't have the graphics card for that game I'd suggest (?).

Meanwhile you'll see exactly the same on Durango.

But who knows, maybe am being unfair on Durango but as it stands it seems very messy and like a big trade off for that OS has been made.
My modest pc runs it full pelt easily.

Seems not only Durango has compromises if we are honest,

I'm thinking that neither machine will take much forward for a PC gamer but both will have great games.

Globox_82

Banned
i like how a lot of people were saying expecting more than 2GB in next gen consoles was unrealistic only a few months ago and now 4GB is not enough.

I was not one of them. I expected around 6-8 gddr3 ram. of course people call you crazy whe you say stuff like that.

For nothing, with all respect. 8 GB of RAM not means anything, especially at half speed. & edram doesn't solve this issue magically, remember of the tiling; you can't state something like 8 GB it's all when even you don't know the rest of specs, not has sense.

Well you can't state 4 GB of ram is better than 8GB of ram just because it's faster. We really will have to wait to see what's better. Devs will show it, Devs will talk about it, we will know.

Until then, it being better for us...I mean how can we even say that? It is true that Crytek wants 8GB, we will see how that goes for example. Settling the matter in our heads means nothing for the real world.

Thing is... what little of next gen has been shown was shown on hardware that's 60-70 percent faster than what's rumored to be in ps4. So it isn't representative at all.

Devs knew the target specs, so we shall see. If it's a shit jump, there's always PC (and Oculus Rift is coming).

omonimo

Banned
Really sucks so many of you are hung up on raw numbers rather than what those numbers mean exactly.

8>4 in the world of computing tech doesn't necessarily hold true nor does it tell the whole story.

It's this the point.
Well you can't state 4 GB of ram is better than 8GB of ram just because it's faster. We really will have to wait to see what's better. Devs will show it, Devs will talk about it, we will know.

Until then, it being better for us...I mean how can we even say that? It is true that Crytek wants 8GB, we will see how that goes for example.
I'm not saying 4 GB double faster of 8 GB are superior but realistically talking will be quite on par. You really overstimate the PR Crytek sensationalistic claims. Most of the time is so generic that not means anything, I remember something about Avatar in real time for the next generation or Crysis 2 is like CG on console time ago.

In B3d are discussing about possible orbis secret sauce being 2 more shader CUs attached to the CPU for GPGPU processing tasks.This would add 200 gigaflops to the 100 gigaflops of the jaguar fpus for a total of 300 gigaflops for the cpu part, near 80 more than cell.

This would be huge if true. The PS4 would be a real monster then and Durango seems like it's going to suffer due to slow ram.

THE:MILKMAN

You're right, but insiders here have said/hinted that Durango has something that is so good Microsoft are suggesting to third parties that it would match a 680 in the real world.

I really want to know what the magic thing is.

Until then, it being better for us...I mean how can we even say that? It is true that Crytek wants 8GB, we will see how that goes for example. Settling the matter in our heads means nothing for the real world.

Devs knew the target specs, so we shall see. If it's a shit jump, there's always PC (and Oculus Rift is coming).

Well, if the rumors of Durango overbloated OS are true this means Durango is going to have only 6Gb for games, and thus 4GB of DDR5 at 192GB/sec. are much better than 6Gb of DDR3 at 68Gb/sec. in my opinion.

You're right, but insiders here have said/hinted that Durango has something that is so good Microsoft are suggesting to third parties that it would match a 680 in the real world.

Yeah but now rumors are suggesting that PS4 has some additional task-specific hardware.

omonimo

Banned

Knowing Orbis is the only without official numbers leaked yet, we can only hope for the better too.

GHG

Gold Member
I really hope the rumors about the GPU are wrong. Nobody should be getting excited by mobile hardware in a console. :|

This.

And paired with a netbook CPU, its really not that impressive from the point of view of the spec sheet.

Don't get me wrong, these rumored components will be great for things like price, heat, noise, power consumption and if arranged correctly, reliability. It will be interesting to see the size of these consoles because I think for one of the few times, we will have console boxes that are smaller than their previous-gen counterparts. In a closed platform, I'm sure developers will be able to do a lot with the hardware and quickly due to them being instantly familiar with the architecture. We'll end up seeing some impressive games, no doubt about that, but the hardware is not exactly bleeding edge.

This is a stark contrast to the previous generation when the Cell was nothing like anyone had ever seen before. Of course the con of this was the fact that developers had a hard time getting to grips with it, but in terms of theoretical peak power, it was a monster at the time and it had everybody saying "wow".

Of course, the dynamics of the gaming market have now changed. The competition from Microsoft is fierce, so there is a fear that if they don't keep things simple they could be left behind early on in the new generation. Of course, the economy is different as well, a $600 console would get nowhere in today's market (of course, the die-hards would still buy it but thats about it). Also, more significantly, the PC platform is more profitable than ever for developers with the digital distribution platform taking off. This means that developers want to be able to make games across multiple platforms, including the PC at reduced dev costs. That is exactly what these new consoles (if the rumors are correct) will give them.

So yeh, all in all, its very logical and it makes sense, but its not all that exciting. From day-one, most mid range PC's should be able to outperform these boxes on exactly the same games. And this time, there's no "untapped" power to play with. It just all seems a little "safe".

Why are people arguing about RAM amounts and CPU clocks? The main disappointment here is the weak GPU sported by both the machines. They should both at a minimum have gone for something with the power of an overclocked 7870.

Top Bottom