• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Lulubop

Anyone else disappointed that they've gone with this semi realistic look for the Marvel costumes? It kind of mimics the movie looks but doesnt quite do it and just looks awful, like something NRS would do. They also reduced Morrigans breast size and Cpt Marvels not really packing much there either. Looks like the game is going to pander to SJWs too much as well. Modern Marvel :(

The fuck is this lol.

Do Blade and Black Panther even have a chance to get in over other characters? They were quickly dismissed in mvc3 when it came to selecting characters for that game. Wasn't it like "why them when so and so can do that."
Blade has possibly a Netflix show coming up and Black Panther has a movie, both have a good chance of showing with Panther being way more likely.
Anyone else disappointed that they've gone with this semi realistic look for the Marvel costumes? It kind of mimics the movie looks but doesnt quite do it and just looks awful, like something NRS would do. They also reduced Morrigans breast size and Cpt Marvels not really packing much there either. Looks like the game is going to pander to SJWs too much as well. Modern Marvel :(
Morrigan's breast size is not smaller lol

Dueck

Banned
I really, really wanted 2v2 to make a comeback. In that regard, things are coming up Milhouse. I wish they'd revealed a few more fighters, or just made the officially announced handful almost entirely new to the series.

So far, so good... But we'll see.

I really, really wanted 2v2 to make a comeback. In that regard, things are coming up Milhouse. I wish they'd revealed a few more fighters, or just made the officially announced handful almost entirely new to the series.

So far, so good... But we'll see.
It's the exact same way 3 was revealed, a handful of veterans and two newcomers.

Mista Koo

But they specifically gave the Iron Patriot a new voiceline where Tony says "Ugh, I can still smell Osborn's hair gel in this" or something like that. It's clearly supposed to be Tony in the Iron Patriot armour.

I don't think Miles would be a costume, except for just a palette swap that references him (i.e. Peter Parker Spider-Man, but the costume is black with red webbing, but still the regular Spidey suit). The thing is, Miles has different powers to Parker. They're almost the same, but not quite.
I didn't know about that.

By costume I meant palette swap in the case of Miles. Although if the costumes were named instead of numbered I'd like it to refer to Miles.

Do Blade and Black Panther even have a chance to get in over other characters? They were quickly dismissed in mvc3 when it came to selecting characters for that game. Wasn't it like "why them when so and so can do that."
Black Panther has a very high chance of being in.

Cepheus

As I've said in previous threads, give me lots of Darkstalkers characters (including some of the men for once. They don't get enough love...) and some Rival Schools characters and I'll be happy. Oh, and some Street Fighter 3 characters that weren't in 4 or 5 too. I don't really follow Marvel comics/films, so I don't mind who gets in there. I'll probably just play as whichever superheroes look the coolest.

Yes, that's correct. But I'm going to go ahead and assume it is. Switch is a fresh console and all of the publishers like to support fresh consoles with their new games. This is coming out the same year the system is launching (Allegedly) and this already isn't exclusive (coming to XBONE, PS4, and PC already) so it's pretty much a guarantee in my opinion.
Marvel may foot the bill just to cash in on the Amiibo train. Heaven help the wallets of everyone if Super Smash Bros runs a new line of Amiibo on top of a hypothetical Marvel vs. Capcom line.

Gonna throw my hat into the ring.

dVTV9on.png

48 is a lot, I know, but they're porting over a bunch of stuff from UMVC3 so it might not be completely impossible.

If there's one good thing about the Fox characters sitting out the base roster, it's that it gives Capcom much more leeway to design a whole load of new Marvel characters in their place. There aren't too many new Capcom characters here because, well, most of the important ones already got into UMVC3 and Capcom hasn't really come out with many new franchises lately. Marvel on the other hand has a whole crapload of new characters to show off.

Rashid is a good bet, Capcom seems to have realised that they have a big fanbase in the Middle East.

I also imagine that they'll include someone from the new Resident Evil (and maybe swap Jill or Chris for Leon).

Waaaaaat?

Rashid is a good bet, Capcom seems to have realised that they have a big fanbase in the Middle East.

Yeah.
And it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll be getting an SF5 character, since having a character from the recent SF installment is a staple of the versus series (MvC2 had Charlie from the then current Alpha series, TvC had Alex from SF3, MvC3 had Viper from SF4... MvCI having someone from SF5 seems likely then).

When looking through MCU stuff on Wikipedia I actually did briefly thought about including Valkyrie, a friend/love interest of Thor that's set to debut in the MCU with Thor Ragnarok and is also planned to appear in more films after.

McNum

Female reps is where I think we'll see a lot of surprises. Most everyone's list seem rather low on that front.
It's kind of a problem inherited from the MCU if that's going to be a focus from where they draw characters. Black Widow is probably the biggest name from there, Scarlet Witch is unlikely due to sort of being a mutant sometimes, and after that there's Gamora and... Sif? Extermis Pepper Potts, too. There's also Wasp, but her movie is a bit far away, still. Captain Marvel is already in.

Obviously if you take the comics into account, Ms. Marvel is a clear frontrunner, and Spider-Gwen as well as Gwenpool could be interesting picks, too. I wouldn't mind seeing She-Hulk return either.

But the problem comes from if you want most of the MCU Avengers + Ultron + Loki + Thanos, then you're filling up the Marvel side of the roster pretty fast. And not many of those will be female. To be honest, if they want to keep genders mostly balanced, the Capcom side might have to pick up the slack, if only because of the lack of approved options on the Marvel side.

I also imagine that they'll include someone from the new Resident Evil (and maybe swap Jill or Chris for Leon).

The MvC remix of Raaashiiiidoooooo is going to be bonkers if he gets in.

Don't mean to sound sexist or anything, but I have never really cared about how many female characters are in a fighting game or whatever. I just choose the options that made the most sense to me, and well, as McNum pointed out, most of the reasonable choices happen to be male.

shingi70

Banned
I know the mervhdising rights would be a bit iffy, but wouldn't scarlet witch make for a good Phoenix replacement, especially considering MCU scarlet witch is basically Phoenix.

Veedot

Ah, X-Statix. Home to glorious, popular and beloved characters such as Dead Girl, Phat and Mysterious Fanboy.

I know they aren't popular,wasn't serious about that inclusion.I j7st think it's fun to think about characters that have no chance besides just listing black panther, vision, winter soldier etc. Though I'd legitimately want to see Venus Dee Milo.

sp3ctr3

Is Hugo popular enough to get in? Huge grappler that I don't think have been in a versus game before.

He wants to be a potato. He can save the world.

Haggar is the best grappler choice, in my opinion. He's an iconic Capcom character that reps his own series. Kinda hate seeing all these roster lists without him on it, especially when they replace him with some other grappler like Alex or something.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Haggar is the best grappler choice, in my opinion. He's an iconic Capcom character that reps his own series. Kinda hate seeing all these roster lists without him on it, especially when they replace him with some other grappler like Alex or something.

This man is correct.

I don't really see the point in a grappler from Street Fighter when you can have another franchise represented with Haggar.

It's the same beef I have with having half a dozen RE reps and no Regina.

DedValve

Banned
What are the odds of us ever getting MvsC1 and MvC2 HD?

God I'd love to have the whole series up to infinite on my Playstation.

Coda

Haggar was my boy in MvC3 so it'd be great to see him return but I'd also be fine with it if he doesn't just because I'd feel an obligation to play him and not experiment with other characters.

But yooo if Gene from God Hand was in the game, a Haggar/Gene team would be so hype.

You: the animated character
CZxCIsHWYAAhfVv.jpg

the people who think old vs games are "more neutral heavy" are probably the same people who think ST is the most fair and honest street fighter
lack of exposure to what actual competitive play looks like vs. their own personal experience especially creates that kinda gap, i think

meanwhile im holding uf as sabretooth and pressing HP->HK/cr.LK->cr.HP or picking storm and doing lightning attack forever because i cant be assed to learn how to do a real storm combo
i feel like this would be a good time to learn the cyke infinite and also the stupid gimmicky sthp DDT setup (that shits cool)
also how to do guard breaks
but man thats like a modicum of effort i dont wanna put in, yknow. it also hurts that i loathe how the old vs games feel

as for the yipes vid, i hate to be that dude but i swear i remembering him talkin' about how his FG career started, specifically that he had never played a fighting game before mvc2 as he was primarily a shooter guy so his statement is actually even more confusing 'cuz he's making it sound like he was around pre-mvc2
Well, it's their bread maker, not saying every positive outlook is muddied but let's not forget top players have interest in new games doing good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Those panels remind me, if this announcement was 1 year ago I would peg Angela as a surefire inclusion in it when they were pushing her hard.

These days...well not ao much.

Neoxon

It's kind of a problem inherited from the MCU if that's going to be a focus from where they draw characters. Black Widow is probably the biggest name from there, Scarlet Witch is unlikely due to sort of being a mutant sometimes, and after that there's Gamora and... Sif? Extermis Pepper Potts, too. There's also Wasp, but her movie is a bit far away, still. Captain Marvel is already in.

Obviously if you take the comics into account, Ms. Marvel is a clear frontrunner, and Spider-Gwen as well as Gwenpool could be interesting picks, too. I wouldn't mind seeing She-Hulk return either.

But the problem comes from if you want most of the MCU Avengers + Ultron + Loki + Thanos, then you're filling up the Marvel side of the roster pretty fast. And not many of those will be female. To be honest, if they want to keep genders mostly balanced, the Capcom side might have to pick up the slack, if only because of the lack of approved options on the Marvel side.
As mentioned before, unless Capcom gets really creative, there isn't much that Spider-Gwen can do that Peter can't (unlike Miles, who has a few extra abilities), & I can't see Gwenpool getting in unless she was made before Marvel gave Capcom the green-light for Fox characters as DLC. As for potential females in MvC:I besides Captain Marvel, even without Scarlet Witch (;_;), there's...
  • Black Widow
  • Gamora
  • Wasp
  • Lady Sif
  • Valkyrie
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Jessica Jones
  • Quake
  • Mockingbird
  • Elektra
  • She-Hulk
  • Medusa
  • Crystal
  • (Cloak &) Dagger
  • Squirrel Girl
  • Miss America Chavez
  • Misty Knight
  • Spider-Woman
  • Moon Girl (& Devil Dinosaur)
...and a ton of others.

If Wolverine and Magneto are DLC due to dumb corporate politics that's going to annoy a lot of people. Core MvC characters cut from the roster to be sold off as DLC.

Neoxon

If Wolverine and Magneto are DLC due to dumb corporate politics that's going to annoy a lot of people. Core MvC characters cut from the roster to be sold off as DLC.
It's either that or no Fox characters at all, so Capcom likely took what they could get. The base roster was likely decided when the Fox ban was in full effect, so at least Capcom was able to capitalize on Marvel's improved relationship with Fox for DLC.

Yeah, it's gonna annoy people, but it's better than the alternative.

This has to be satire, right?

It's either that or no Fox characters at all, so Capcom likely took what they could get. The base roster was likely decided when the Fox ban was in full effect, so at least Capcom was able to capitalize on Marvel's improved relationship with Fox for DLC.

Yeah, it's gonna annoy people, but it's better than the alternative.

I'll believe it when I see it. Not having Wolverine in the game Day 1 is complete nonsense.

Let's take the second most popular Marvel character behind Spiderman, who has been in 100% of the MvC games, and just not add him. But then sell him later. Genius idea from Disney right there. Certainly won't affect sales at all.

Neoxon

I'll believe it when I see it. Not having Wolverine in the game Day 1 is complete nonsense.

Let's take the second most popular Marvel character behind Spiderman, who has been in 100% of the MvC games, and just not add him. But then sell him later. Genius idea from Disney right there. Certainly won't affect sales at all.
Then you haven't seen pretty much every Marvel game since Contest of Champions. Marvel had no qualms with leaving the X-Men & Fantastic Four out of games. They didn't change their tune until very recently, which is likely how Capcom (supposedly) got Marvel to let them do Fox characters as DLC. The info on what the hell is going on is in the OP. MvC:I was likely in development for a while, so the base roster was probably made while the ban was in full effect. There wasn't much that Capcom could do in that regard.

Also, unfortunately, Wolverine isn't that popular, anymore. He's still up there, but Iron Man has pretty much overtaken Wolverine in that regard (& Rocket may be on his way to do the same, if he hasn't already).

Top Bottom