• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
But You can play every vc game you own on your wii u at no charge, the upgrade fee is for additional features

The "You can play them in Wii mode for free" argument is pretty thin. Rebooting into Wii mode (and back when you're done) takes a pretty significant amount of time. It's fine if you're playing one game straight through, but it doesn't work if you're just looking for a little 5 minute jam session.

The "it's only 30 cents" argument works for some and not for others. On one or two games, those charges are not substantial. On the other hand, if you have many VC games (and many on GAF do--I stopped buying around 2007-2008 and I have 35-50 VC games), it adds up. It's more of a principle thing. The most direct comparison is the quality upgrade/de-DRM fee on iTunes, which also sucked for the same reason, except the old iTunes songs still worked fine and didn't require a segmented BC mode like the VC games in Wii Mode would.

I'd also add that most of us re-bought a lot of physical games on VC. I mean, I own SMB on NES. I rebought it on VC. Nintendo is now reselling it on 3DS VC. Can I have an option, even if it costs more, to just buy SMB once and for all?

I think it gets a little more problematic when you look at the big picture. I have maybe 1500 games right now, across all platforms--and probably almost 1000 of them are digital. That ratio is going to keep getting more lopsided. So I'm extremely nervous about trends in digital content which require me to spend more to "maintain" the games I own.

entremet

Lol holy shit they are releasing 3DS and wii u versions of roms and charging separately for them!?! Icing on the cake. So, so, so painfully out of touch. Wow. It's funny that in that other thread about DLC and "complete" games Nintendo was constantly brought up as this company that has admirably resisted the allure of nickle and diming their consumers. Remember that next time you are buying Super Mario Bros. for the 7th time.

They are separate. Nintendo still has no unified account system across devices like Apple or Sony.

How many times am I gonna rebuy Super Mario Brothers lol.

I do this to myself tho:
NES-packin
SNES-All Stars Version
GBC-Super Mario Deluxe
VC-NES Virtual Console
Wii-Part of Mario Anniversary

SmokyDave

Why do people keep using this as an example? Did you get added features going from PSP->PS3/Vita versions?

Yup. Vita scales PSP games and allows for all manner of control re-mapping. They're 'upgraded' versions!

It should be the emulator doing that stuff, not the ROMs. The idea that you're paying for 'upgraded' games is nonsense unless Nintendo are doing things inefficiently.

Taurus

The "You can play them in Wii mode for free" argument is pretty thin. Rebooting into Wii mode (and back when you're done) takes a pretty significant amount of time. It's fine if you're playing one game straight through, but it doesn't work if you're just looking for a little 5 minute jam session.

The "it's only 30 cents" argument works for some and not for others. On one or two games, those charges are not substantial. On the other hand, if you have many VC games (and many on GAF do--I stopped buying around 2007-2008 and I have 35-50 VC games), it adds up. It's more of a principle thing. The most direct comparison is the quality upgrade/de-DRM fee on iTunes, which also sucked for the same reason, except the old iTunes songs still worked fine and didn't require a segmented BC mode like the VC games in Wii Mode would.

I'd also add that most of us re-bought a lot of physical games on VC. I mean, I own SMB on NES. I rebought it on VC. Nintendo is now reselling it on 3DS VC. Can I have an option, even if it costs more, to just buy SMB once and for all?

I think it gets a little more problematic when you look at the big picture. I have maybe 1500 games right now, across all platforms--and probably almost 1000 of them are digital. That ratio is going to keep getting more lopsided. So I'm extremely nervous about trends in digital content which require me to spend more to "maintain" the games I own.
I agree with you, especially the bolded part. This is something Nintendo should definitely put effort into.

hongcha

Did you get added features going from PSP->PS3/Vita versions?

Yep. More options on vita, you can map LR to the right analog stick, which is really nice for games that used LR for the camera. You can map buttons to the touch screen too. Also much better picture quality, of course.

Yeah Stump, it's come to the point where we shouldn't trust Nintendo's digital commerce policy. Sony offers much more value when you purchase old games from them, you can be confident that those purchases will stay with you across new consoles and Nintendo is giving us the middle finger in that regard.

Shoyz

Did Iwata even use the word trial? I don't understand why people assume this is a trial. It's a 30th Anniversary Event / Quasi-Ambassador Campaign

Something about it being called the 'Trial Campaign', and him saying "So I hope you will try out these games during the campaign period to see if you would be interested in buying a particular game."

zroid

Banned
I would have loved if they gave the upgrades for free, but the extent of the discounts make me not mind too much. I have no major issue paying $1.50 each to re-buy my SNES games.

evanmisha

Something about it being called the 'Trial Campaign', and him saying "So I hope you will try out these games during the campaign period to see if you would be interested in buying a particular game."

Okay, those are good reasons to assume it would be a trial. derp

entremet

What you have to purchase games twice?

To clarify, you can transfer you VC games and play them in Wii mode on your Wii U, free of charge.

If you want Gamepad support/Miiverse Integration, you need to repurchase them, at $1/1.50. The Wii U VC will be treated as another platform and Nintendo will be trickling out the catalog again!

mdtauk

To clarify, you can transfer you VC games and play them in Wii mode on your Wii U, free of charge.

If you want Gamepad support/Miiverse Integration, you need to repurchase them, at $1/1.50. The Wii U VC will be treated as another platform and Nintendo will be trickling out the catalog again!

Sounds reasonable to me!

This is exactly my concern. After the debacle surrounding the Virtual Console upgrade to Wii U, it's going to make me very hesitant to further invest in VC titles. I want those older games playable on the game pad so bad, but I've already bought 50+ virtual console titles. And because I transferred my VC titles to my launch system, and then sold my launch system after that after deciding that it wasn't for me at the time, I won't even be able to get the discount-- despite my purchases being tied to my Club Nintendo account.

Some defenders are going to yell at me for doing the transfer and then selling the console, but fuck them. That should not be something I should have to worry about as a consumer that has already purchased those games, and a consumer who has an account that reveals which games I did in fact already purchase. It's been such a headache when it didn't need to be, and another thing is, at the very least, they could have told us about this. The system launched just two short months ago, and I seriously doubt that they just now decided on this information. Or maybe they did.

At any rate, simply being more open about this information to begin with could have made me hang on to my system, but even still, that shouldn't be a factor in my console management. What if they redesign the Wii U and I want that one? What if I want a different color? Oh too bad, I've already transferred my VC library to my current system.

Why do people keep using this as an example? Did you get added features going from PSP->PS3/Vita versions?

Using the new game pad you just shelled out money for should not be considered some grand new feature. Transferring your titles to your new system that you just shelled out money for so that you can have a single, unified library rather than having to go back and forth between wii u and some half ass emulated "Wii compatibility mode" should not be some expensive new feature. Expecting the stores game library to carry over day 1 instead of having to wait until Nintendo gets around to porting it...again...is not a new feature.

The Hermit

Goddamn you Nintendo.

At least get goddamn Genesis and N64 games too. This is a joke, right?

My only hope is that they'll unify VC purchases between 3DS and Wi- bbwhahahahahahahahha.

:/

Yeah, thisis bulshit. As long as Nintendo doesn't create a real NIND, this is just pipe dream. Which really sucks, since I expected that when they announced the eShop in the WiiU.

I think (this is just making assumptions, I have no idea how much work goes into remaking a game to be rereleased on a new system) making the older games HD would require considerably more work than what Nintendo is trying to do with the VC games.

I guess I just need to think of these Wii U releases as DLC for the VC games.

This is a good point, but you should also consider that HD remakes are usually sold for full (or a higher percentage) of a games original price. The Wii U VC releases, are sold at a fraction of the original price. In other words, the Wii U VC releases take a fraction of the work an HD remake does, but they are only charging a fraction of the price :p

I also want to add, that there are a lot of things Nintendo screws up. Personally, I don't think this is one of them. Now, we can get into the discussion regarding purchases being tied to the console and I completely agree that they should be tied to an ID.

Well, if you look at my last post, as long as you at least have the option to play those original DL games, I don't have a problem with it.

The point I was making is, if the games are emulated then there is no reason in the world for them not to work on the Wii U.

While I quoted you, it seems that a lot of people are under the same impression. In the end, you don't have to pay any extra and will still be able to play your games on Wii U. You only pay for the added features.

entremet

I was really hyped about the VC since I didn't have to worry about connecting all these old systems, troll ebay or CL, but man has the implementation sucked.

Ideally I'd want:
A unified license for all Nintendo systems going forward. I don't want to buy Super Mario Brothers again!
End this trickling nonsense.
Better pricing. Nintendo prices seem crazy in a post App store world.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wish the Wii U transfer process was 'selective' in what you could bring over from the Wii. I only want my Virtual Console titles transferred over, not my Wii saves. But it apparently is all, or nothing.

Qurupeke

Nintendo said:
Classic Games for 30 Cents! To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of the Famicom in Japan (which was known as the NES in the United States), Nintendo is making one NES or Super NES game available each month now through July at the anniversary price of just 30 cents. Each game will be available at that price for 30 days, and the first is the NES game Balloon Fight, which is now available in the Nintendo eShop for Wii U.

From NOA.

I wish the Wii U transfer process was 'selective' in what you could bring over from the Wii. I only want my Virtual Console titles transferred over, not my Wii saves. But it apparently is all, or nothing.
That is such a pain. I was able to pick and choose what dsi ware I wanted to transfer over to 3ds, why not wii->Wii u?

Jazzem

PAL Virtual Console 50Hz...

Well that's money they won't be getting from me, absolutely ludicrous. Why can't they follow M2's example and allow us to switch between different region versions of games?

Discounts for those who purchased games on the Wii VC.

wstAMJq.png

Somnid

Someone has to maintain them, whether it's some guy working weekends on an emulator or a company maintaining a download service. As soon as there's no money or at least volunteer work it falls apart. We can maintain them at the same level using general compatibility techniques. You may not like that Wii VC games work in compatibility mode and don't use new more convenient features but they didn't regress, it's the same as it always was. So yeah, you should think about this because it's a huge miscalculation to think being digital makes it perpetually free to maintain, it just removes physical problems. If Intel/Windows moves to something that's not X86 your Steam collection is fucked. Hell, many are moving into post-PC and you'll need to rebuy all the software on your iPad if it even exists there.

But this isn't anything new. We've always had compatibility issues between hardware and there's nothing we can ever do about it. Someone will have to rebuild from the ground up. Whether that's developers or Nintendo who work for money or a dedicated fan community that donates thousands of hours to the cause.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No. You can play all your stuff in Wii mode like always.

The discounts at least are pretty significant. Upgrade each NES title you own for $1.00, or SNES title for $1.50. It's an acceptable compromise, considering they do offer "enhanced" features like off-tv and Miiverse, and obviously had to be totally reprogrammed.

I'm okay with this. For my collection, I can update everything for probably about $20-$30. I imagine it's still going to be a slow drip though when it does start this Spring, so my wallet won't be hit all at once. I'm sure I'll actually be excited to see Game X finally in stores again, actually.

Question on that 30 cent promotion, starting with Balloon Fight today. So is that like, a glorified rental, or will they let us *keep* it at that price?
Yep, agree with this. Everyone would love it if they were free for past owners obviously, everyone would also love it if they were free even if you didn't own them already, but you can still play your old versions and basically just pay for the new features, if you want, so it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

GRW810

Sheesh, some people want everything for nothing. I wonder how generous you guys would be if you were running a business?

"So you filled you're car up with petrol, drive around for a little while and now you want to top up? Sure, have extra fuel for free, you already paid for that fill tank."

Or, I don't know. Couldn't think of a better comparison. But expecting Nintendo to sit there and recode software, paying employees and funding resources, and then give it to you for free is incredibly ignorant.

Should I have got OoT 3D free because I owned the original and they just added 3D?

The biggest issue I have with the moaners is if you don't want to pay it, don't. Just play the games on Wii or Wii mode. If you really want the Miiverse integration or off-TV play, you're acknowledging the very additions that are costing you loose change.

netBuff

I'm more concerned about the fact that the NES Wii U VC title "Balloon Fight" now available on the eShop still seems to be the 50Hz version for European customers. If this continues, I won't buy a single VC title as I'm not interested in inferior versions of games easily better emulated elsewhere.

pixlexic

Banned
I will wait and see if the next Xbox and ps4 even let's you play your xbl and psn games in anyway before I make any statements of the 30 cents matters or not.

at lest with the wii u you can play everything you bought off the wii shop in wii mode.

zroid

Banned
don't really want Balloon Fight seeing as I already have the 3DS Ambassador release... ehhhhhhh 30 cents what the fuck =\

What about your NES copy of SMB isn't "once and for all" might i ask?

evanmisha

So are we really getting one game a month?

Atleast until the VC launch. The monthly schedule is for the Anniversary Event pricing.

What I'm really curious about is whether Balloon Fight will disappear from the eShop in a month only to return full price at the VC launch, or if it will stay on the eShop at full price.

EDIT: It'll probably disappear. The discount price capability thing is probably bundled in the spring system update.

Sheesh, some people want everything for nothing. I wonder how generous you guys would be if you were running a business?

"So you filled you're car up with petrol, drive around for a little while and now you want to top up? Sure, have extra fuel for free, you already paid for that fill tank."

Maybe the worst analogy in GAF history.

N64 and other platforms that werent announced are obviously coming.

Anyone think they might bring DS games out on the VC, and emulate using gamepad/tv?

Ein Bear

PAL Virtual Console 50Hz...

Well that's money they won't be getting from me, absolutely ludicrous. Why can't they follow M2's example and allow us to switch between different region versions of games?

Seriously. I'm not spending money on gimped, 50hz versions of games in 20 fucking 13.

mackattk

This is exactly my concern. After the debacle surrounding the Virtual Console upgrade to Wii U, it's going to make me very hesitant to further invest in VC titles. I want those older games playable on the game pad so bad, but I've already bought 50+ virtual console titles. And because I transferred my VC titles to my launch system, and then sold my launch system after that after deciding that it wasn't for me at the time, I won't even be able to get the discount-- despite my purchases being tied to my Club Nintendo account.

Whoa... what?

Or, I don't know. Couldn't think of a better comparison. But expecting Nintendo to sit there and recode software, paying employees and funding resources, and then give it to you for free is incredibly ignorant.

Its not free if you already paid for it. They are going to sell these games as VC for the Wii U. They will make a lot of money if they gave these games that their customers already paid for for "free" or not. If I was running a business, I would want my customer to be happy and loyal, and to keep coming back. Exploiting them for a buck a game is not the way I would run my business.

I won't even touch your analogy.

Top Bottom