• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has From Software not ported/re-released Metal Wolf Chaos?

metal-wolf-chaos.jpg

18-girls_pw_style-img433x600-1197652464girls12.14__69_.jpg

021811_president_obs01--article_image.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmPZScztok

Why is this not a thing happening right now?

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, It's a shame it never came here. I remember playing the demo that was hidden on an OXM demo disc back in 2004, and it was amazing.

Speevy

Banned
I think a lot of last-gen. games are great candidates for cross-platform digital release, even ones of somewhat questionable quality.

Blinx, Voodoo Vince, this, the Otogis for sure.

jono51

Banned
I think a lot of last-gen. games are great candidates for cross-platform digital release, even ones of somewhat questionable quality.

Blinx, Voodoo Vince, this, the Otogis for sure.

Definitely agree with you there. Most of the xbox 1 exclusives games would be great to see either as a straight DD port or a HD re-release, some more than others (Rallisport Challenge 2, that means you!).

jkh13

Neo Member
It's odd, I have this game and all the dialogue and a lot of the text is already in English already. It would have been easy for them to release it overseas... I guess they didn't think it would sell enough to justify distributing it overseas in the end.

I always assumed that releasing a game in 2004 about the American President trying to kill the Vice President at a time where the Vice President was basically living in a bunker (and also kind of an asshole) was probably not worth it.

Tain

I was really disappointed by this game when I finally got to play it. I really don't think there's a good game underneath all the wackiness, but I'll probably never know for sure given how unbelievably boring the first few stages are.

Tizoc said:
Didn't this game require like 20 buttons or some such?

No. Control-wise, it's an extremely simple third-person shooter.

cj_iwakura

The Xbox seems to have had a handful of interesting Japan-only exclusive games that are next to impossible to find any information on...
Wreckless 2
Shin Megami Tensei Nine

Let me stop you right there; NINE is a horrible mess. Trust me, it was best off in Japan.

Now Metal Wolf Chaos, losing that was a crime.

The urban myth goes that FROM shopped it to US publishers,and was laughed out of the office.

Didn't this game require like 20 buttons or some such?

That's Steel Battalion.

Let me stop you right there; NINE is a horrible mess. Trust me, it was best off in Japan.

Now Metal Wolf Chaos, losing that was a crime.

The urban myth goes that FROM shopped it to US publishers,and was laughed out of the office.

That's Steel Battalion.

What about the other three? Magatama in particular looks really slick.

vireland

Why is this not a thing happening right now?

I can't answer why it didn't come before, but I can answer why it hasn't come now. We've been after this on and off for three years.

From's firsthand, direct response is that they feel the storyline will offend Americans.

I know, you're saying "What?!!!" because the storyline is AWESOME, and having the Vice President be the bad guy and the President kicking butt in a mech is insanely great. It's no more disrespectful than the Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter movie, and that movie will gross millions of dollars in America without a second thought. It's definitely nowhere near as disrespectful as some of the stuff that's been said and done in our own political process.

We're working to help them see that, but I don't know if we'll eventually succeed because it's been so long and there's been no movement. This is, however, one of my "personal mission" games. It *has* to come out. And I put the acting on the level of Disaster: Day of Crisis and EDF 2017, I wouldn't change a thing. Effortless B-movie awesome.

As Vic said, the publishers must have felt that the story and Japanese attitude shown in-game would be considered disingenuous to Americans, which is rather pretentious to say after this year's political season. I think that a game as good as this one deserves a true American release someday, and releasing it now would be the perfect way to satire the political climate in the United States as it stands currently.

Either way, the game's great and From Software deserves some financial support for their incredibly catalogue of mecha games.

cj_iwakura

I can't answer why it didn't come before, but I can answer why it hasn't come now. We've been after this on and off for three years.

From's firsthand, direct response is that they feel the storyline will offend Americans.

I know, you're saying "What?!!!" because the storyline is AWESOME, and having the Vice President be the bad guy and the President kicking butt in a mech is insanely great. It's no more disrespectful than the Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter movie, and that movie will gross millions of dollars in America without a second thought. It's definitely nowhere near as disrespectful as some of the stuff that's been said and done in our own political process.

We're working to help them see that, but I don't know if we'll eventually succeed because it's been so long and there's been no movement. This is, however, one of my "personal mission" games. It *has* to come out. And I put the acting on the level of Disaster: Day of Crisis and EDF 2017, I wouldn't change a thing. Effortless B-movie awesome.

Slap 'From the makers of Demon's Souls' on the cover. Put 'RICHARD!!!!' on the back.

Instant money.

vireland

Slap 'From the makers of Demon's Souls' on the cover. Put 'RICHARD!!!!' on the back.

Instant money.

Money doesn't seem to be their concern on this. They're really thinking it will offend America to the point where they stop buying From games, which is ridiculous.

Tizoc

The dialog in the OP's video would make sense to Japanese people, especially if it was in Japanese.
In English...epic is too small a word to describe just how amazing it is.

Wonder if it's possible to release it in Asia and Europe for PS3 and 360 at least?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I really hope you succeed. I'm European so I might not be offendable in this regard but I feel this game could really develop a cult hit status.

Ultrabum

This game is too American for America.

You sir are wrong, in fact, it could be more America. Like bald eagle rockets and ballistic missiles that fly from the baseball hall of fame exploding into supermodels and apple pie.

Or maybe just more eagles >.>

cj_iwakura

Worse thing is, Xbox isn't region free, and I never modded mine.

This is the only Japanese game I wish I could play.

vireland

But I thought Icarus Daedalus was the one running for the nomination here!

Good luck, Vic. Are you thinking of finding a way to publish the game under the Gaijinworks label or to convince another publisher to do the same?

We've been working with Monkeypaw more and more, so it would be one label or the other. I've given up getting other publishers to see what awesome is for imports and we're pretty much going full steam ahead in conjunction with Monkeypaw. Our Kickstarter for another multiplatform game (up, waiting for me to press the Launch button) was supposed to be up this past week, but the President of Monkeypaw had a family emergency and had to fly out so that's delayed for a week or so.

But I really, honestly don't know if From can have their mind changed on this one. We've been asking for a long time.

Kuroyume

Banned
Good question. The game is somewhat more popular on Youtube. Could have be be big on XBLA with a demo. It's something I wonder about when I think of Phantom Dust. Such a great game that everyone ignored even at the cheap release date price. I wonder if the marketplace was around at the time with a demo would the game have taken off.

cj_iwakura

We've been working with Monkeypaw more and more, so it would be one label or the other. I've given up getting other publishers to see what awesome is for imports and we're pretty much going full steam ahead in conjunction with Monkeypaw. Our Kickstarter for another multiplatform game (up, waiting for me to press the Launch button) was supposed to be up this past week, but the President of Monkeypaw had a family emergency and had to fly out so that's delayed for a week or so.

But I really, honestly don't know if From can have their mind changed on this one. We've been asking for a long time.

I'm pretty sure all the good will the Souls games have bought them will easily let people overlook the President piloting a mech in the fight for justice.

Also, is this related to the megaton you've been teasing?

shuri

Banned
The first level is awesome, and then the game turns into shit as you keep running out of ammo all the time and the flaws of the game really show.

You know, theres a reason why it was never ported..

jay

If only someone in the industry who has tried to get the game released would shed some light on this.

It's a little funny that From thinks anyone here who doesn't reside on message boards would even know who they are. It's harder to boycott a company you've never heard of.

massoluk

Banned
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
1. Change the characters to Obama and Biden look-a-like.
2. Bring to US
3. Profit

The first level is awesome, and then the game turns into shit as you keep running out of ammo all the time and the flaws of the game really show.

Yeah, and if you've read some of the posts in this thread, you'll see that was not one of the reasons.

Dylan

I can see the business meeting now:

"Guys, we have two massive hits with the Souls series on our hands. We have people petitioning for a PC release. And message boards everywhere are full of blood thirsty fans clamoring for a sequel.

I think the direction we need to take is obvious: Metal Wolf Chaos HD, gentlemen."

"Guys, we have two massive hits with the Souls series on our hands. We have people petitioning for a PC release. And message boards everywhere are full of blood thirsty fans clamoring for a sequel.

I think the direction we need to take is obvious: Metal Wolf Chaos HD, gentlemen."

Eh. To each their own, I find Metal Wolf about 1,000x more entertaining than Demon's Souls. So that's why I made a thread about Metal Wolf, and not Demon's Souls.

There's been enough of those already.

androvsky

A Kickstarter for an import? o_O

Anyway, I do understand From's reluctance a bit since it's hard to tell when you're dealing with a different culture what the difference between awesome over-the-top tropes and horribly insulting stereotypes are. Since they made the president the hero, I don't think they'll have much trouble, assuming the story doesn't have a crazy twist towards the end.

squidyj

Man, and I thought the pigeon dating sim that transformed into a jrpg and then into a survival horror was weird.

vireland

But the point is they wouldn't even have to affect their production line at all. We were offering to handle the port completely with just them overseeing as executive producers. Since we didn't really want to change the core game or acting, etc, it was pretty much a straight port and re-skinning. Not a big deal. The mindset is the problem.

Top Bottom