• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Especially considering the version of the elemental monster they gave us in 2014, and the angry monkey they bounced off our head in 2017.

There is no way Godzilla loses this unless Kong literally rams an Oxygen Destroyer up his cornhole.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's probably a temporary KO then they team up to defeat Ghidorah while Mothra gives them blessing or some shit

Well, WB let Batman beat Superman clean in BvS.

(which is total horseshit but whatever)

they're aping a crappy comic book story so you get an even crappier comic book story

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Especially considering the version of the elemental monster they gave us in 2014, and the angry monkey they bounced off our head in 2017.

There is no way Godzilla loses this unless Kong literally rams an Oxygen Destroyer up his cornhole.

Kong could have the advantage of beeing the most famous american monster in a american movie, but I really dont see him winning. Its still more or less the big Godzilla Universe, hench the title "Monsterverse".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They are most likely full of shit, there will be no victor of Godzilla vs King Kong a 3rd party will most likely show up that they need to double team
*gasp*

Jet Jaguar is friends to all humans and children and he doesn't want to traumatize them!

What are you talking about kid's love a smiling hero
WxZDLFV.jpg

Batman winning is just fanboy wankery because of The Dark Knight Returns. He's beaten Superman in pretty much every fight since then as far as I know. Well, until Frank Miller rectified his mistake in DK3.

But by that logic... Godzilla should win? Well, we'll see, I'm sure they'll find a way to be cute about it.

Anyway, since we're talking about EVA x Jet Jaguar, I want to see Anno's version of this tortured and emo character:

latest

His inner anxieties will drown the Earth in a sea of anguish that will melt humanity. Then we shall all be reborn as larval Mothras. Do it Anno.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyway, since we're talking about EVA x Jet Jaguar, I want to see Anno's version of this tortured and emo character:

latest

Kinda
Speaking of Evangelion, I saw Shin Godzilla the other day. Was fantastic! Probably the second best Godzilla film I've seen, since the original.
I was kinda sad it went the way it did at the end. I was kinda hoping they failed due to it evolving too fast for the freeze method to stop it after it blasted the first set of trucks. Then them nuking it only to fucking super charge him and having it go into an ultimate form from absorbing the radiation with a mankind is doomed because we used nuclear weapons again message. That shit would have been impactful as fuck

I'm already working on the Kaiju OT. It should be up this week if things go to plan. Big thanks to Sephzilla for getting a ton of work with it done already and handing it to me. I'm making some film recommendations so if you want to recommend your favorite film just PM me a paragraph and I'll gladly post it along the others.

Also its pretty cool how they're filming in Mexico right now for presumably
Rodan and his encounter with Godzilla.
Nice!

Kinda
I was kinda sad it went the way it did at the end. I was kinda hoping they failed due to it evolving too fast for the freeze method to stop it after it blasted the first set of trucks. Then them nuking it only to fucking super charge him and having it go into an ultimate form from absorbing the radiation with a mankind is doomed because we used nuclear weapons again message. That shit would have been impactful as fuck

Film was already becoming of a downer, I wouldn't have minded such a shift to make it as horrific as the original film but I feel Anno wanted a more hopeful message that humans aren't as war-hungry as they were back then. That's why they were constantly focusing on avoiding collateral damage. It's a film very aware of the nuclear reactor events and I didn't mind freezing as they knew it would just feed off the nuke.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Film was already becoming of a downer, I wouldn't have minded such a shift to make it as horrific as the original film but I feel Anno wanted a more hopeful message that humans aren't as war-hungry as they were back then. That's why they were constantly focusing on avoiding collateral damage. It's a film very aware of the nuclear reactor events and I didn't mind freezing as they knew it would just feed off the nuke.
Yeah, plus in the end it's still set up to keep going. Hmm if I had to have one complaint and it's because the lack of understanding of how fucked up Shin really is it's the scene where they inspect an area where part of it's body got blown off. In the theatrical version it's looks like a chunk of his flesh was growing on the side of a building and they explain it in dialog, but the original planned shot for that scene was way more fucked up but they toned it down for being "too gross" but it matched what they were saying in that scene a whole lot more

Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah all in the same film sounds like a clusterfuck

It's been done before lol

Edit: honestly, I could see this movie playing out similarly to the Three-Headed Monster. Godzilla brawls with Rodan, maybe Mothra for a bit. Then King Ghidorah shows up and they fight it together. On one hand I'd enjoy that, but on the other I wouldn't mind something different

Yeah, plus in the end it's still set up to keep going. Hmm if I had to have one complaint and it's because the lack of understanding of how fucked up Shin really is it's the scene where they inspect an area where part of it's body got blown off. In the theatrical version it's looks like a chunk of his flesh was growing on the side of a building and they explain it in dialog, but the original planned shot for that scene was way more fucked up but they toned it down for being "too gross" but it matched what they were saying in that scene a whole lot more
Ooh the eyes yeah, that would have been pretty freaky but would have been cool to see. They showed Godzilla's gills bleeding earlier in the film, but I would have wishes they did more with the massive amounts of blood like in that clip to be like Evangelion's blood.

Good they can team up afterwards but we need a winner.

AND IT BETTER FUCKING BE GODZILLA

Godzilla's got this.

He only lost to Kong in the first crossover because Kong was more popular and well known at the time since Godzilla hadn't had a film since Godzilla Raids Again, which came like six months after the original film.

Daingurse

Kong is gonna need to raise his power level up massively if he wants to even give Godzilla a decent challenge. Can't wait to see how big "King" Kong will be, because I just don't see how this is gonna be fair lol.

Snaku

Banned
Kong is gonna need to raise his power level up massively if he wants to even give Godzilla a decent challenge. Can't wait to see how big "King" Kong will be, because I just don't see how this is gonna be fair lol.

Really? Did you watch Skull Island? Kong is gonna dance circles around G.

tumblr_m44sfq9q4W1qbvnpqo1_400.gif

Sephzilla

Godzilla is beating Kong because

1) Godzilla is more popular
2) Kong already has one W against Godzilla

I don't see how you could do a sequel to Shin

That's literally the most broken version of godzilla if it progressed any further it would be instant game over. It's power is hilariously off the charts and the only way they beat it was due to it barely learning to regulate its energy which it was evolving to do last second
Bits of Shin Godzilla break off and create new monsters (gimme Shin Biollante). Japan decides to defrost Godzilla to stop him.

Daingurse

Bits of Shin Godzilla break off and create new monsters (gimme Shin Biollante). Japan decides to defrost Godzilla to stop him.

Lol. I'd love to see that scenario. If Shin Godzilla is the lesser evil in any capacity, then shit must have REALLY escalated.

Really? Did you watch Skull Island? Kong is gonna dance circles around G.

Even so, it's gonna be rough. Kong needs to size up a LOT. Even at similar heights, Godzilla would be significantly beefier than Kong, while still being a skilled and intelligent grappler and having more natural weapons than Kong (the fire breath obviously, but also never undervalue that tail).

But in all likelihood, while Kong will grow more, he's still going to end up significantly smaller than Godzilla, and that size disadvantage is going to be ROUGH.

Basically if Kong wins they're probably going to have to pull out some major plot hacks, plus have humanity on Kong's "side".

I just want to see if they'll have Kong try a jawbreaker move on Godzilla

I can see Kong going all Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on Godzilla, using the environment as weapons. The big female muto did quite a lot of damage to Godzilla in 2014, and I imagine Kong will be at least as big and strong as that, as well as being way more agile and not just mindlessly charging.

Probably one of my most anticipated films. Loved the hell out of 2014 Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island.

Also can't what to see Thomas Middleditch in a summer blockbuster. Man, first time I saw him was in a CollegeHumor video lol.

For me this and pacific rim 2 are gonna be great popcorn flicks and great for background noise

As a child, Godzilla toys were my most cherished things. Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah being my favorites. Godzilla vs. Kong was one of the few VHS I owned, the rest of my Godzilla movies were tv recordings on blank vhs cassettes.

Regardless of the quality in the storytelling for these films, seeing these guys on screen again means everything to me.

Sephzilla

Godzilla 2 is definitely pretty high on my list of movies I want to see given that I'm a pretty huge fan of the franchise.

On that note, I'm still pissed that a good chunk of the Showa Era movies still haven't hit bluray. We're so close to having the entire Godzilla franchise on a single medium.

Godzilla vs Kong is set after 2 in the modern day.
No, ours is more in continuity with the sequel to Godzilla right now. They’re doing Godzilla 2 with Mike Dougherty directing, so our film is in [the] present day. We have a couple characters from Godzilla 2 in ours, but it’ll be interesting to see how Kong has fared over the years. You see him in that film and he’s just constantly under attack. Things are going wrong and there’s probably been lots of human intervention since then. It’ll be interesting to see a more rugged, a bit more aged Kong in this film.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wonder if rodan is gonna get rocked by Godzilla or ripped apart by Ghidorah to show how dangerous he is.

Like have Godzilla struggle a bit vs Rodan only for Ghidorah to just slaughter it shortly after

I don't think I can express how immensely disappointed I will be if it doesn't appear at all.

It HAS to appear. I don't care how cheesy and out of place it is. It's core to the experience of Mothra.

I don't think there's a single movie Mothra appears in where the song isn't referenced in some way.

Pray that they get Giacchino for the soundtrack and not Desplat again. You know Giacchino is the only one that would bring Godzilla's theme in an epic way and will put mothra's song somewhere, because he is the composer out there that really loves working with original themes of older stuff and make tributes of them (the speed racer ost is a think of beauty, respecting not only the american theme but also the japanese, not even adding that the credits of cloverfield are an authentic ode to Ifukube's work).

Desplat is going to go again the fucking boring no melody whatsoever route. Its clear he doesnt like to make blockbusters like harry potter or godzilla so i dont know why directors keep bringing them for those type of movies. He is amazing at other types of movies, but not blockbusters.

Desplat's Godzilla score was pretty good, I thought. I liked it.

Huge shame not getting THE THEME in there, but it worked really well for that film.

Blablurn

Cant wait for the first trailer. Dont show us fucking shadows anymore or shades of something behind crumbling buildings.

I WANNA SEE SHIT GETTING REKT

Top Bottom