• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ignoring fake news by medical professionals, Trump looks directly at sun

Yes during the total eclipse portion, you can look at it without protection.

Outside of that, you can't. DC wasn't in the total eclipse path...

Loudninja

No you cant do some of you think the sun does not damage you eyes or something?

I am so confused by some of these posts.

Edit: Nvm read you postt wrong my bad!

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, you can. During a total eclipse it's fine without glasses, it's any other time that's a problem.

If you are within the path of totality, remove your solar filter only when the moon completely covers the sun’s bright face and it suddenly gets quite dark. Experience totality, then, as soon as the bright sun begins to reappear, replace your solar viewer to look at the remaining partial phases.

That said, Trump was not in the path of the total eclipse. He should have always worn glasses.

LordKasual

Banned

I am so confused by some of these posts.

During a total eclipse, there really isn't any light coming directly into your eyes.

That's why it's a total eclipse.

We didn't have a total eclipse though, it was more like 97% or something, but the sun in the sky was...well, still a sun. So looking at it would obviously be really stupid.

People probably tell you not to stare directly at it without protection during a total eclipse too because once it moves, you're once again looking directly at a sun

Yeah, but you can momentarily glance at a partial and it's no worse than briefly looking at the sun normally. Of course you sure as shit shouldn't stare.

Loudninja

Yeah, you can. During a total eclipse it's fine without glasses, it's any other time that's a problem.

That said, Trump was not in the path of the total eclipse. He should have always worn glasses.
I am dumb read his post wrong lol.

Hollycat

Doesn't the moon not completely cover the sun? It's dangerous 100% of the time.
It can cover everything but the corona I think? Its still bright as heck but I'm not an expert on blindness caused by intense light. I would think its still not the bestest for you but not awful?

Dishwalla

Banned
image.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Doesn't the moon not completely cover the sun? It's dangerous 100% of the time.

There's a two minute window where it's safe to look at if you're in the path.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's incredible that there's still people here questioning it when you can very easily Google it and find reputable sources which will verify that it's completely safe to look at an eclipse during totality.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It would be great if this affected his vision of the teleprompter tonight and he went off script and went rogue

Outside of the path of totality, yes. Within it, you can view it uncovered just fine. In fact, if you leave your glasses on during 100% totality, you won't see a thing.

Yep exactly. The cool part is the totality, too, it was way crazier looking than I imagined! Partial eclipse is kind of neat as well, but wow!

You literally see nothing but black during the totality with the glasses, and it's not hard to tell when it's time to look away because bright rays gradually begin to peak out. Got to stare at it for almost two whole minutes where I am.

Kind of ridiculous that an elementary school here wouldn't let kids take off their glasses during totality. I know they're trying to protect their eyes but they didn't get to see shit.

kikiribu

I mean, nothing happened to him, so I guess he can now keep bragging about how science is fake and how he did what no one would dare to do.

mo60

It would be great if this affected his vision of the teleprompter tonight and he went off script and went rogue

It would be way to soon for him to feel the effects of any damage to his eyes. If he damaged his eyes we would know by tommorrow. That is if he damaged his eyes by looking at the solar eclipse earlier today.

I mean, nothing happened to him, so I guess he can now keep bragging about how science is fake and how he did what no one would dare to do.

Just wait a few more days. :)

kikiribu

It would be way to soon for him to feel the effects of any damage to his eyes. If he damaged his eyes we would know by tommorrow. That is if he damaged his eyes by looking at the solar eclipse earlier today.

Just wait a few more days. :)
Hmm, why would it take that long though, especially at his age?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I've looked directly at the sun several times in my life and my eyes are still fine. Is light during the eclipse amplified or something (gravitational effects?).

I've looked directly at the sun several times in my life and my eyes are still fine. Is light during the eclipse amplified or something (gravitational effects?).

It's mostly a matter of people staring at it too long instead of glancing at it, going, "Ow" and then looking away.

mo60

Hmm, why would it take that long though, especially at his age?

It takes like 12-24 hours for someone to notice eye damage from staring at a solar eclipse without the proper eye protection. We may not actually know if he damaged his eyes until sometime tommorrow or even later then that if the white house is trying to protect the info from leaking.

Trump looking up at the eclipse is the most impressive thing ever!

Fox News host Tucker Carlson joked Monday night that President Trump’s looking at the solar eclipse without proper eye protection was “perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done.”

“Almost the entire country saw 60 percent of the sun covered up by the moon. Even the president saw it, but in a move that is not a complete surprise, he looked directly at the sun without any glasses,” the “Tucker Carlson Tonight” host said. “Perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done.”

We know he's not joking.

televator

Hey Trump you shouldn't... err... miss out on that eclipse bro. Take a good and long look. Go ahead and ignore the scientists. What do they know, amirite? Just keep looking and I hope you do go blind you Nazi sympathizing fuckwad.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson joked Monday night that President Trump's looking at the solar eclipse without proper eye protection was ”perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done."

”Almost the entire country saw 60 percent of the sun covered up by the moon. Even the president saw it, but in a move that is not a complete surprise, he looked directly at the sun without any glasses," the ”Tucker Carlson Tonight" host said. ”Perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done."

We know he's not joking.
Fucking dumbass doctors and scientists! Thinking they are so smart! That will show them and how climate change is wrong.
/s

Fox News host Tucker Carlson joked Monday night that President Trump’s looking at the solar eclipse without proper eye protection was “perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done.”

“Almost the entire country saw 60 percent of the sun covered up by the moon. Even the president saw it, but in a move that is not a complete surprise, he looked directly at the sun without any glasses,” the “Tucker Carlson Tonight” host said. “Perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done.”

We know he's not joking.

If we're lucky this is the only thing he ever accomplishes and when the history books are written, under the sad footnote of his presidency in the accomplishments column it will say, "he stared at the sun and didn't go blind".

HotHamBoy

We know he's not joking.

It's certainly the most impressive thing that Trump's ever done.

hirokazu

It's still not really advised because most people aren't good at telling when the moon moves out of the way enough to need eye protection again. That can vary based on the eclipse and your location. You're best off catching a glimpse of it with the naked eye just to get a see and then putting your eye protect back on to prepare for totality to end.

It's still not really advised because most people aren't good at telling when the moon moves out of the way enough to need eye protection again. That can vary based on the eclipse and your location. You're best off catching a glimpse of it with the naked eye just to get a see and then putting your eye protect back on to prepare for totality to end.

You won't see anything with glasses on during totality. You'll know it's time to put the glasses back on because it no longer looks mind blowing.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I looked at an eclipse when I was in grade 1. Dumb kid for sure. However, I have better than 20/20 vision now. Did I just get lucky?

Did I end up losing xray vision?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I looked at an eclipse when I was in grade 1. Dumb kid for sure. However, I have better than 20/20 vision now. Did I just get lucky?

Did I end up losing xray vision?
If you are young the damage will heal and damage only occurs if you look for more than 5 minutes.

Top Bottom