• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders re-enable native Oculus Rift support in Aliens Isolation

Why do they disable such feature ? It's like the Doom 3 Rift Version. Is it for legal reason ?

I imagine because it's just not a great experience. I assume they implemented it on a DK1 and an older version of the SDK. If I were involved in developing this game, I would have made the same decision simply because even on a DK2 it's a poor introduction to VR for consumers. It's initial wow factor is fantastic, but the game is not made for VR, there are a lot of issues here that could leave people feeling very negative about VR before it's even a consumer product if they tried to market this as a VR game. There's not a huge base of gamers with headsets now anyway so no reason to bother making a big investment in it just yet. It's a fun proof of concept, not a good product.

Krejlooc

Banned
I would disagree. It is clever and nobody discounts the effort. But just inspecting and finding something isn't modding. You need to actually modify something that isn't already available.

They are modifying the initialization file. They're not merely changing 0 to 1. They are adding arguments that weren't there before. To find and understand how to add these arguments to the ini file required the same sort of engineering that all mods go through.

wickfut

Banned
Th OP is wrong. I had to do this.

1) in ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML (found in the DATA folder) change the stereo options to:

<Setting name="Stereo Mode">
<Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/>
</Setting>

2) Set the Oculus to extended mode.

3) In the oculus configuration utility pause the service.

4) Start the game.

I think having Off and Rift with the same precedence causes an issue

That was it, it's working now.

Thank you!

Just tried survival mode, opened the airlock and the alien was stood looking at me. I got chomped in VR within 10 seconds. Intense! ha ha

tsab

hopefully they will bring an official patch to enable this in the future. Probably they cut it from the launch because of dev time.
I need to borrow an Oculus Rift dammit

Saty

The super positive responses again lead me to think that the importance of needing VR exclusives built from the ground up for it to succeed are overestimated. A well-made VR mode for 'regular' games seems to result in a tenfold more engaging and desirable game that can push the sales of the hardware of the version of the game that has a VR mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Modders won't be able to fix many of the issues because they are content issues. The game just wasn't built for VR.

sounds pretty well built though - having the 3rd person cutscenes presented as floating videos is clearly something they've considered to keep players in first person at all times.

I guess it still takes control of the camera when you get nabbed by the alien though?

GeoGonzo

Damn it, I had already decided not to buy this game and I just bought another game too...

To the wishlist it goes, and I'll keep an eye on this thread.

The super positive responses again lead me to think that the importance of needing VR exclusives built from the ground up for it to succeed are overestimated. A well-made VR mode for 'regular' games seems to result in a tenfold more engaging and desirable game that can push the sales of the hardware of the version of the game that has a VR mode.

You're listening to early adopters who are incredibly excited about VR and perhaps people reacting to quick demos designed for VR. There are plenty of non-VR games that are well suited to the Rift, but there are some significant considerations you have when making a game for VR. Many of the conventions we use in games currently translate horribly. Speed and mobility in first person, camera animation, FOV, static menus and HUDs, cinematics, input, game length... Almost everything needs to be addressed.

Most people, if you were to strap a headset on them and have them play AI in it's current state would be wowed initially, but would find it a cumbersome and probably hellish (not because it's scary mind you) experience to play the game all the way through on a DK2, even if they could get a consistent 75hz framerate. I think this Rift mode in AI is very promising, awesome in a lot of respects, but you couldn't pay me to play through it for 12-20 hours.

jimmypop

Banned
You know, this is a terrible solution, but what I'd do is repartition the harddrive with my operating system on it into two, then install two wholly separate installations of my OS on each partition. Then install the OR drivers on one OS install, and keep the other without them. Install a boot manager to let you switch between the two, and that way you can basically enable or disable OR support at boot up.

That's way more work than it should be, but it'd do the trick.

This was the solution I went with to avoid the same conflict.

Occams razor as to why it was disabled: Consumers don't have the rift yet.

So they've programmed the support, and it's ready, but turned off until CV1 arrives, when it will "magically" have a patch the same day to make it a launch title.

I guess it still takes control of the camera when you get nabbed by the alien though?

From what I read in the initial demo reviews, You can still turn your head away if you can't stomach the sight of Xenomouth piston launching at your face. :p

It's the little things..

wickfut

Banned
Just started a fresh game in VR and have a couple of issues, which are probably down to settings somewhere?

The monitors. When you view the computer screens it's like they're hung 4" away from your face. The in game FOV is in fixed mode in VR so unsure how to sort this?

The world is slightly smaller than real life. If I stand up in real life the VR floor is where my knees are. Is there a way to adjust the world scale setting?

Ensirius

So my reaction to this is:

smile-frowns1.gif

On the one hand I want this, on the other, I'm not sure I will be able to handle it.

Pikelet

I have a geforce 660 and it runs great in oculus mode when i drop the shadows to medium. It runs better than elite dangerous for me thus far, which is also playable. Was a little worried my card wouldn't do so great but i dont regret the purchase one bit.

I imagine because it's just not a great experience. I assume they implemented it on a DK1 and an older version of the SDK. If I were involved in developing this game, I would have made the same decision simply because even on a DK2 it's a poor introduction to VR for consumers. It's initial wow factor is fantastic, but the game is not made for VR, there are a lot of issues here that could leave people feeling very negative about VR before it's even a consumer product if they tried to market this as a VR game. There's not a huge base of gamers with headsets now anyway so no reason to bother making a big investment in it just yet. It's a fun proof of concept, not a good product.
It was definitely coded for the dev kit 2. It works with the camera and positional tracking which the dev kit 1 never had. It appears to be using a version of the SDK that predates the Oculus service, but definitely one that had implemented proper support for the DK2.

This isn't a consumer ready version of the game. There would need to be a lot more work done to get there, in just five minutes I noticed the hilarious lack of any leg animation when going down a ladder and the weird position of the motion tracker, but its very impressive all the same and absolutely the way I am going to play the game.

Tankshell

Just to add to all the other comments, I gave this a quick whirl during lunch break, works a treat. Very smooth, no judder (at max settings no less!), full 6DOF tracking, no weird rendering issues or crashes.

Will be playing the entire game through now in the DK2 starting tonight!

Faith

Does it induce motion sickness when the camera is moved by the game? For example when the Alien kills you.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'd say half of the FPS experiences still make me really sick in the DK2. HL2 is the worst offender.

Technolust, I'm fine with.

I wonder if this one will make me sick too. I'll try it out after work.

Amazing news. I'm still waiting for my DK2, but I'll stop where I'm at in the game and wait the the Rift.

The motion scanner is in an annoying place, but its still usable.

I'd be great if there were some plain text values for moving the tracker/gun around. Have you peeked?

Tankshell

Absolutely. That video above was running on a single 980gtx being down sampled from 4K.

The motion scanner is in an annoying place, but its still usable.

In the DK2 demos they gave ealier in the year, the motion scanner was decoupled from where you looked.... it would be strange for them to remove this ability, so I reckon it could just be another xml config file setting somewhere to re-enable it.

EDIT - video: http://youtu.be/QqGjzfCcvuE?t=37s

unmeaty

Neo Member
This might make me pick this game up. My DK2 hasn't gotten any use since my ROG Swift came in, mostly due to the fact that the Oculus drivers cause compatibility issues with G-Sync.

Anyone know if that's fixed now?

I have this monitor on backorder, so this is particularly relevant to me.

A solution I have seen from an Oculus dev is uninstalling just the Oculus display driver and NOT the runtime. You should then be able to use the Rift in extended mode and not have issues running non-Rift games on the ROG.

Hopefully this is something that will be addressed, if not by Oculus then perhaps Nvidia. With their VRdirect software coming soon(ish?) they have a stake in getting G-Sync to play nice with the Rift.

Does it induce motion sickness when the camera is moved by the game? For example when the Alien kills you.

Well, it didn't for me, but I've had a lot of headset time, and I only played for five minutes. I hope to report back a lot more on this later tonight, but I won't be playing it until 8pm EDT at the earliest.

I have this monitor on backorder, so this is particularly relevant to me.

A solution I have seen from an Oculus dev is uninstalling just the Oculus display driver and NOT the runtime. You should then be able to use the Rift in extended mode and not have issues running non-Rift games on the ROG.

Hopefully this is something that will be addressed, if not by Oculus then perhaps Nvidia. With their VRdirect software coming soon(ish?) they have a stake in getting G-Sync to play nice with the Rift.

I'll be Gsyncing tomorrow night most likely, so I'll be trying to figure this out too. Between disabling the service and doing something like described, there's probably something that can be done. Still, the only crashes I've had on my PC have been from forgetting to disable SLI and trying to run something in VR. The first crash took out NVidia's drivers completely, and the second crash ate my save files for The Pinball Arcade, while simultaneously making steam forget I had a second folder configured.

Krejlooc

Banned
The most hilarious thing in the world to me is leaning in waaaaay too personal when people are talking to you in the game. Like putting your eyeballs right next to their teeth, looking up so you can see the roof of their mouth, looking into their nostrils, etc. Like way closer than you'd ever get to a person during normal conversation.

The way the NPCs just keep talking like nothing is wrong and their eyes follow you cracks me up.

Metiphis

Is there ANY way to mirror it on OBS but a flat NON double vision, you know like a normal game so the audience doesn't want to kill themselves.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is there ANY way to mirror it on OBS but a flat NON double vision, you know like a normal game so the audience doesn't want to kill themselves.

nope, and you wouldn't want to do any processing on the image in the first place because VR is such a resource hog.

fionel

Th OP is wrong. I had to do this.

1) in ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML (found in the DATA folder) change the stereo options to:

<Setting name="Stereo Mode">
<Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/>
</Setting>

2) Set the Oculus to extended mode.

3) In the oculus configuration utility pause the service.

4) Start the game.

I think having Off and Rift with the same precedence causes an issue

Yes, listen to this man. This worked for me and my DK2. Didn't even have to restart the service nor putting the oculus back to direct mode.

Unfortunately there's juddering though :(

Metiphis

My computer is a beast

Alien Isolation in VR still punishes it.

Should be fine

Case: NZXT Phantom 820 – Matte Black

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77 Extended ATX Motherboard

Video: Two EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 2GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler in SLI

PSU: NZXT Hale90 V2 1200W ATX Fully Modular

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k Overclocked to 4.8ghz

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Closed-Loop Liquid

RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident X Series DDR3 2400

SSD: Two Seagate 600 Series 240GB SSD

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD

MIC: Heil PR 40

Top Bottom