• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

lol I can just imagine the guys at SSM sitting around a table brain storming ideas for the plot

"So what do we know about Kratos? He's angry, he's vengeful?"

"Umm how about a story where he is angry and aims to avenge his family?"

"That's brilliant! And original!"

But if it's a prequel, who does he have to avenge? Would be funny if this is like really young Kratos and he is all jive and cracks jokes. And then he kills his family.

KingK

Is it on Netflix yet? That's how I watched the first three seasons.

Not yet. Probably not until season 5 starts later in the summer, unfortunately.

Also, I'm still kinda shocked that they're milking the franchise with another prequel. I know I shouldn't be, but I expected better from SSM. Especially when there are so many obvious places you could take the series that would feel fresh and exciting, like Norse or Egyptian mythology. My first impressions based on that teaser are that this is purely a cash grab and they're out of new ideas, and I was expecting a lot more than that.

Hopefully they'll at least mix up the gameplay a bit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, Ghost of Sparta was an interquel between GoW 1 and 2. It addressed some stuff about Kratos's past, like his brother, but it's not an origin story.

Turns out I confused Ghost of Sparta with Chains of Olympus, but the latter is just a stone's throw away from being an origins story rather than an origins story in itself.

Edit:
You mean chains of olympus? GoS wasn't a origins story.

Precisely. ;)

It is left ambiguous on purpose. Dev commentary said they
wanted Kratos to be rewarded for his sacrifice, becoming the aspect of death(grim reaper). Who would be responsible for killing future would-be gods.

I would love it if Kratos was a fish-out-of-water that wakes up in a Norse mythology inspired world, or Egyptian, Indian, something like that. And then we see a version of Kratos that isn't just some pissed off rageaholic with zero empathy (till the very end of the last game).

I'd like to see Kratos trapped in other mythologies, forced to fight other gods in worlds that he cannot fully understand in order to free humanity or something... learn some humility and fight for honour, justice, stuff like that instead of just vengeance.

RedSwirl

I'm guessing this is gonna be about the time Kratos spent working for Ares.

Anyway, if we're still on Greek mythology, I'd like to add that Amazons still haven't appeared in any of the games. Just some food for thought.

I would love it if Kratos was a fish-out-of-water that wakes up in a Norse mythology inspired world, or Egyptian, Indian, something like that.

I'd rather they just do that with a new protagonist who fits in with each setting. If it were me I'd use the Tyrfing saga (Hervarar saga ok Heiðreks) as the basis for a new GOW setting.

Major plot hole with the Sisters of Fate, Kratos should have went back in time to stop himself from slaughtering his family. The level design was great in the second game so I went with it.

I just hope this game makes me forget the Pandora child and awful level design of God of War 3. I will wait till I see some signs of improvement. I would rather a tight polished 8 hour game over a rushed 10-15 hour game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe I haven't played the Origins Collection yet. Where can I find that for cheap pronto?

Ricky_R

I'm excited about a new GOW, but being a prequel seriously takes that excitement way down.

Oh well... Can't have everything my way, can I?

It would be hilarious if this was what Sony wanted to close their E3 press conference with.

Doubt it, since they were going to announce it tomorrow. Unless they were planning on just announce the game without the teaser.

BHK3

Banned
Turns out I confused Ghost of Sparta with Chains of Olympus, but the latter is just a stone's throw away from being an origins story rather than an origins story itself.

Edit:

Precisely. ;)

Yeah, neither game is really an origin story but together they are.

I can't believe I haven't played the Origins Collection yet. Where can I find that for cheap pronto?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457688

I usually see a copy here pop up from time to time, where I got mine for $20~.

Cheska

I love me some Kratos, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this game. I was honestly satisfied with God of War 3 and if this is just going to be another rehash than color me disappointed :(

Man this is gonna be so fucking awesome. We'll probably get to play as Kratos before he murdered his family as well. We'll get to see him rise to become the youngest Captain in Spartan history and play their battle against the Barbarians.

One thing I do want to understand from the description is that it will be the most ambitious GOW game from Sony ever. That intrigues me from a story and gameplay perspective.

Anyways this game will be a series prequel, dating even before Chains of Olympus. Obviously from the trailer it will be how he turned on Ares after he was tricked into killing his family. I just wonder what that will entail exactly. I really hope it's more large battle focused where you are commanding an army against the hordes of Ares. That would definitely be ambitious and would probably be what Spartan Total Warrior should have been.

All in all, I'm fucking pumped as shit!!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT RELEASE?

neptunes

The GoW game featuring his brother would probably end up on vita.

I can't see Sony risk releasing a main GoW entry on PS3 that doesn't feature kratos.

Ricky_R

Man this is gonna be so fucking awesome. We'll probably get to play as Kratos before he murdered his family as well. We'll get to see him rise to become the youngest Captain in Spartan history and play their battle against the Barbarians.

One thing I do want to understand from the description is that it will be the most ambitious GOW game from Sony ever. That intrigues me from a story and gameplay perspective.

Anyways this game will be a series prequel, dating even before Chains of Olympus. Obviously from the trailer it will be how he turned on Ares after he was tricked into killing his family. I just wonder what that will entail exactly. I really hope it's more large battle focused where you are commanding an army against the hordes of Ares. That would definitely be ambitious and would probably be what Spartan Total Warrior should have been.

All in all, I'm fucking pumped as shit!!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT RELEASE?

Yeah... How can the gameplay be more epic than GOW3's when he's not supposed to be a God or as raged as he was in the trilogy.

Bebpo

Banned
The thing about it being "most ambitious"

If they're talking about gameplay, I wonder if it'll be a new style. Like open world or something combined with online elements.

Oh, and I finally want the Hekatonkheires to make it into this game! They're the best villians in Greek Mythology, have yet to be used in any of the GOW games and the closest you get to Lovecraftian entities in that pantheon.

Knock yourselves out, brah.

Oh, hey that's where Vanille's summon is from in FFXIII.

GeoramA

It's rather thin for a reveal, don't you think?

I was expecting some gamplay scenes to be honest...
You don't remember the GoWIII reveal? Exact same thing, only it was at E3 and yes, people complained.

I'd say Sony was smart showing this now and not at E3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
programming wiz @ SSM
Br0Rw.png

The GoW game featuring his brother would probably end up on vita.

I can't see Sony risk releasing a main GoW entry on PS3 that doesn't feature kratos.

They could...come up with another character instead of overextending one? Then balance the dev budget so it doesn't cost $6 billion yen to make and it's not as big of a risk.

Gsak

Just so things are clear. Look like the order (chronologically) the games are set is this, from "oldest" to "newest":

GOW: Ascension
GOW: CoO
GOW 1
GOW: Betrayal
GOW: GoS
GOW 2
GOW 3

jett

D-Member
I'd say it looks worse on an HDTV, where all the amazing visuals show and the shitty lightning stands out prominently.

Eh I disagree, I think all of the visual effects in GOW3 look great.

And even if you count the lightning as a negative, it still eats every other console game for lunch. It's just not better, it fucking obliterates everything around it.

siEFF.jpg

Kmvsa.jpg

owJQK.jpg

Jq01G.jpg

yPjkD.jpg

VDbpm.jpg

Qb5oo.jpg

BmSOe.jpg

4qu2c.jpg

gVyWY.jpg

You're welcome to disagree, but let be perfectly clear: I don't care.

sheeit I just made myself hype for this game, if only for the visuals

BHK3

Banned
http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/04/god-of-war-ascension-box-art-leaked.html

Is this the game they have showed to 2 guys and the girl on the tester ? I guess so. The teaser is available at thte link in case you are interested

Nice gif
ibluXZ2ImpeF52.gif

Just so things are clear. Look like the order (chronologically) the games are set is this, from "oldest" to "newest":

GOW: Ascension
GOW: CoO
GOW 1
GOW: Betrayal
GOW: GoS
GOW 2
GOW 3

And none of it makes sense except for 1.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Well yeah, the graphics are amazing. It's just those effects, like I said.

neptunes

They could...come up with another character instead of overextending one? Then balance the dev budget so it doesn't cost $6 billion yen to make and it's not as big of a risk.

A new character? Unless it's set in the same universe (and that would be hard given the story arc) then it may as well be a new IP called something else. GoW and kratos go hand in hand.

Strike

Eh I disagree, I think all of the visual effects in GOW3 look great.

And even if you count the lightning as a negative, it still eats every other console game for lunch. It's just not better, it fucking obliterates everything around it.

Best image quality on consoles this gen.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
God. Now I can officially get hyped for E3.

The GOW3 trailer still gives me chills when I see it. I can only imagine what the Ascension gameplay trailer will look like. SSM = Gods.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, GoW3 looks incredible. If this game is on par with it artistically, it'll still be a joy to play even if the plot is creatively bankrupt.

Top Bottom