• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Let me also suggest Bad Obsession Motorsport and to some extent, b is for build (the later gets things wrong a lot but he isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty on a task he hasn't done before)

Bad obsession though, combine British humor with sexual innuendoes and a real skill for fabrication and problem solving and you get a mix of entertaining, educational and interesting viewing, the only real downside is that the video releases are spaced months apart, but at last it's not an insane marathon to catch up.

They're currently completely gutting and overhauling a mini and slapping a Celica ST185 3SGTE engine into it.

Cool, I'll check them out!

I actually have a list of internet based shows that I religiously keep up these days and I honestly don't even watch TV anymore besides news or sports. It's sorta insane tbh.

One thing we learned in training yesterday is that the average household income of a Porsche owner is $517k, which is far higher than the next competitor, which was Jaguar at $227k. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi were all the same around high 190s, low 200s.

Lexus was at the bottom with $147k.

Really helps understand the mindset of the buyer. We don't need to lower the prices on our cars because they are exclusive and the customers obviously have the money to spend.

But at the same time the customer is used to being treated with extreme respect and hospitality and have very high standards so we really need to step it up compared to most sales individuals.

Those numbers have to be combined HHI income.

I saw customer FI data back when I worked at the MB dealer and the average income per person was right around $100k. It was only on joint purchases that I saw where the number reached the 200 mark.

Seeing numbers like these and knowing their buying habits is really interesting actually. I remember one of the finance guys say that the reason why people get bad experiences dealing with car dealerships is coz the customers overestimate their own worth and that obviously puts the sales guy in a position where he's not really able to help you out.

One of the reasons why Carmax and other no-haggling dealers are super successful is that the setting a firm price essentially eliminates those customers who are overestimating. Essentially if you come in to a dealership with a number in mind that isn't low-balling it, they actually will try their best to work with you. But if you low-ball them right out of the gate, then you're essentially a non-buying customer just wasting time.

That said though, bad service is just bad service no matter how much cash you've got. That's just something that happens everywhere.

Pinewood

One thing we learned in training yesterday is that the average household income of a Porsche owner is $517k, which is far higher than the next competitor, which was Jaguar at $227k. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi were all the same around high 190s, low 200s.

Lexus was at the bottom with $147k.

Really helps understand the mindset of the buyer. We don't need to lower the prices on our cars because they are exclusive and the customers obviously have the money to spend.

But at the same time the customer is used to being treated with extreme respect and hospitality and have very high standards so we really need to step it up compared to most sales individuals.

Jesus, Im in the wrong field
country

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Oh yeah. I've seen them, I just want them to take the wrap off already. I don't know if theyre hiding something nice under that junk wrap, and, more concerning, what's its engine(s)?

Pretty sure engine was a confirmed 3.0L I6 with ~400HP.

ShowDog

My understanding of the s2000 is that the factory engine is so highly tuned and wrung out that getting more hp out of it is really difficult and expensive
Is that a myth?

Absolutely true if you leave it N/A, but they can be boosted for easy power gains. The engine takes it fine up to a point but the rest of the drivetrain needs to be beefed up if you go over ~350 hp.

Anybody ever scared of their cruise control or am I just crazy?

I've been driving a normal car the last few days due to a long drive for work but today I took my Miata coz it's the last day I'll be working at this spot.

I turn on CC on my Miata and I feel like it can run away from me lol. Whereas on the normal car(a previous gen Mazda6 sedan), I feel like I could sleep with the CC on and Not worry about it.

KRaZyAmmo

Anyone know what a SR20DET non modified version of a S13 Coupe is going for these days? I'm curious. Also I think what Showdog said of the F20C is true of SR20DET, although I do know that if you stick with stock internals with the SR20 ~300hp is all it can handle until you start needing internal upgrades.

Anybody ever scared of their cruise control or am I just crazy?

I've been driving a normal car the last few days due to a long drive for work but today I took my Miata coz it's the last day I'll be working at this spot.

I turn on CC on my Miata and I feel like it can run away from me lol. Whereas on the normal car(a previous gen Mazda6 sedan), I feel like I could sleep with the CC on and Not worry about it.

Is the NC Miata like an NB/NA where it's just a vacuum that operates the CC and not a separate throttle cable?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Quick survey - does this look intentional/deliberate to anyone?

My wife woke up to a pretty big tree limb jammed into the side of the tire. Surely ruined. But she drove on it last night and she said it was 100% fine - no issues whatsoever. Just seems like it has to be really piss-poor luck or someone did it for kicks. I would guess the former, but would love other's thoughts just out of curiosity. The "rubbing" on the tire makes it almost certainly just poor, crappy luck. (Also, ignore the wheel damage - that's from a while back).

33463583771_7295029df6_b.jpg

... There's only like 10,000 miles on those tires, too. Fortunately, I *THINK* I splurged on the "insurance" at Firestone. I think...

http://jalopnik.com/theres-already-a-quarter-million-dollar-bentley-bentayg-1793492026

Anyone else smell bullshit? I feel like the original owner of this car had it setup to be stolen. But that's just me.

And yeah, Edd China is the man. I use to love watching Wheeler Dealers so much. Hopefully he just gets his own show.

He did say he wants to do more stuff on his YT channel so I honestly hope we see more videos of just him doing his thing. It was literally the only reason I watched the show.

My wife woke up to a pretty big tree limb jammed into the side of the tire. Surely ruined. But she drove on it last night and she said it was 100% fine - no issues whatsoever. Just seems like it has to be really piss-poor luck or someone did it for kicks. I would guess the former, but would love other's thoughts just out of curiosity.

33463583771_7295029df6_m.jpg

I honestly don't see how it could be deliberate. It would take quite a lot of force to get a stick into the tire like that. I would have to guess just really shit luck. There is also damage on the rim around the same location which makes me think she might have run up on something.

My wife woke up to a pretty big tree limb jammed into the side of the tire. Surely ruined. But she drove on it last night and she said it was 100% fine - no issues whatsoever. Just seems like it has to be really piss-poor luck or someone did it for kicks. I would guess the former, but would love other's thoughts just out of curiosity.

... There's only like 10,000 miles on those tires, too. Fortunately, I *THINK* I splurged on the "insurance" at Firestone. I think...

Might've happened yesterday and she just didn't notice. If someone was going to damage the vehicle why would you use a tree branch instead of a knife? My money is on bad luck.

Did she park near any shrubbery or anything lately? Kind of looks like the tire might have backed onto the branch, and then the branch broke off when driving away. I dunno though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Might've happened yesterday and she just didn't notice. If someone was going to damage the vehicle why would you use a tree branch instead of a knife? My money is on bad luck.

Did she park near any shrubbery or anything lately? Kind of looks like the tire might have backed onto the branch, and then the branch broke off when driving away. I dunno though.

Yeah, this is almost certainly my guess, too.

I didn't think I had any reason to be concerned, so glad first impressions are similar to mine. Just didn't want to be sitting on my hands while I'm a 1,000 miles away if I was just naive.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, this is almost certainly my guess, too.

I didn't think I had any reason to be concerned, so glad first impressions are similar to mine. Just didn't want to be sitting on my hands while I'm a 1,000 miles away if I was just naive.

No way anybody could penetrate a tire fast enough to not have it deflate really, really quick with an object that large. That's just some sort of shit luck.

Also extremely dangerous to drive on a punctured sidewall. That tire WILL blow with the branch just poking around there.

Skel1ingt0n

No way anybody could penetrate a tire fast enough to not have it deflate really, really quick with an object that large. That's just some sort of shit luck.

Also extremely dangerous to drive on a punctured sidewall. That tire WILL blow with the branch just poking around there.

Coo-cool. I don't disagree. Glad I'm not naive.

And yeah, absolutely. Told my wife to leave it in the driveway and I'll throw in the spare and take it up to Firestone when I return home Fri.

She's driving to her social work job in the Hellcat, lol, since I took the Fusion to the airport.

AlphaSnake

Guys, there's a base F-Type V6 6MT for sale 80 miles away and 200 miles away. Both new. They want 61K for them. I've closed AutoTrader to stop myself from searching for newer MT Jags (I wanted to see if X-Type 3.0s ever came in MT, aside from the shitty 2.5s). The answer was no.

But because I didn't filter my search, I was exposed to listings of primarily MT F-Types. I need to step away from my PC. It would be a massive downgrade from my XKR in seemingly every way, to be honest. A 6MT F-Type would have to be my 3rd car. Not a daily.

Q60 2.0 turbo is exactly everything that is wrong with the Auto industry right now.

Companies charging outrages prices for an engine, 4 cylinder's that aren't worth a damn pulling a 4000 lb curb weight car.

Audi does it, Infinity does it, Lexus does it, Mercedes does it, BMW does it (although their 2,0 actually is nice).Jesus, even mustang has a 4 banger now.

What is going on, so many cars are $40,000 with an engine that is crap.

My choices at $30,000 have all disappeared. What happened to affordable G35's?

My options now are sub 200 hp cars like MX5, Fiat, its crazy.

Guys, there's a base F-Type V6 6MT for sale 80 miles away and 200 miles away. Both new. They want 61K for them. I've closed AutoTrader to stop myself from searching for newer MT Jags (I wanted to see if X-Type 3.0s ever came in MT, aside from the shitty 2.5s). The answer was no.

But because I didn't filter my search, I was exposed to listings of primarily MT F-Types. I need to step away from my PC. It would be a massive downgrade from my XKR in seemingly every way, to be honest. A 6MT F-Type would have to be my 3rd car. Not a daily.

I have the same problem with Buells, just can't seem to stop buying them. Luckily they are a fair bit cheaper than F-Type Jags.

Still, while I know you're coming here for help n all, in no way would I describe a friggin' F-Type as a 'downgrade' - compared to anything really. Plus that V6 version sounds beautiful.

My wife woke up to a pretty big tree limb jammed into the side of the tire. Surely ruined. But she drove on it last night and she said it was 100% fine - no issues whatsoever. Just seems like it has to be really piss-poor luck or someone did it for kicks. I would guess the former, but would love other's thoughts just out of curiosity. The "rubbing" on the tire makes it almost certainly just poor, crappy luck. (Also, ignore the wheel damage - that's from a while back).

Yeah, it seems like she may have drove too close to the curb or backed up over a curb with a bush or shrub with branches protruding since there's damage to the wheel alloy/rim near the branch puncture.

Hopefully it'll be ok.

AlphaSnake

Q60 2.0 turbo is exactly everything that is wrong with the Auto industry right now.

Companies charging outrages prices for an engine, 4 cylinder's that aren't worth a damn pulling a 4000 lb curb weight car.

Audi does it, Infinity does it, Lexus does it, Mercedes does it, BMW does it (although their 2,0 actually is nice).Jesus, even mustang has a 4 banger now.

What is going on, so many cars are $40,000 with an engine that is crap.

My choices at $30,000 have all disappeared. What happened to affordable G35's?

My options now are sub 200 hp cars like MX5, Fiat, its crazy.

Yeah, I hear you. The Merc and Infiniti one are the same engine, unfortunately. But at least they're super cheap to modify and get V6 power out of. The Mustang's 4-banger can be had with 350HP/410TQ directly from Ford with a full warranty for an extra $700 and an intake is included in that cost. It's a pretty awesome deal.

I have the same problem with Buells, just can't seem to stop buying them. Luckily they are a fair bit cheaper than F-Type Jags.

Still, while I know you're coming here for help n all, in no way would I describe a friggin' F-Type as a 'downgrade' - compared to anything really. Plus that V6 version sounds beautiful.

The XKR is literally an F-Type V8R with an extra pair of seats. The advantages are it can fit a child or a child seat in the rear. It has the 510HP V8 vs. the 340HP V6 of the base F-Type (granted that is easily tuned to 410HP...but the XKR can be tuned to 610HP by the same software for the same money).

The F-Type handles better than the XKR, for sure, but it's also less refined inside. The Bowers/Wilkins audio in the XKR is by far the best audio I've ever heard in a car short of a Bentley Mulsanne I've rode in. The standard Meridian audio in the F-Type will pale, as I have it in my '16 XF -- it's a good system, but not the choral wonder that is the Bowers/Wilkins.

I have thought of even a new Z06. And I looked at Vipers...but the redline of the Viper is so damned low. And the Corvette is...eh...a Vette.

Anyone know what a SR20DET non modified version of a S13 Coupe is going for these days? I'm curious. Also I think what Showdog said of the F20C is true of SR20DET, although I do know that if you stick with stock internals with the SR20 ~300hp is all it can handle until you start needing internal upgrades.

Mainly depends on the condition of the rest of the car. You can get a gutted s13 with an sr20det for under $4k, where if you want something nice, you'll be paying more.

Also, sr20's can make more than 300hp on stock internals. Main thing is proper tuning.

KRaZyAmmo

Mainly depends on the condition of the rest of the car. You can get a gutted s13 with an sr20det for under $4k, where if you want something nice, you'll be paying more.

Also, sr20's can make more than 300hp on stock internals. Main thing is proper tuning.

I see. I guess I'm just keep lurking Craiglist, other car forums, and people with S chassis just keep learning more bout it and trying to plan my build ahead of time for when I do eventually try to find and get a S13 Coupe. Anyone have any idea how much it is to import a car from Japan? (just wondering. Just using this as a last resort if I can't find a good conditioned or gutted S13 Coupe)

So, the Ferrari 308! - As mentioned in the last OT, been on at the owner over email for the last few years on and off about selling it, last weekend he finally caved and we promptly arranged for me to drive down and check it over, which was supposed to be yesterday (Thursday), it's a roughly 450km drive, which on the toll roads is about 6 hours of driving depending on traffic, so I set off at 8am, hoping to arrive there around 2pm, ended up arriving at 3pm because a huge section of the expressway in Aichi was moving really slowly.
My friend just flew from London to Japan specifically to inspect a R34 Nismo Z-Tune that came up for sale. Inspected the car and then were told they don't want to sell it any more...

matmanx1

My friend just flew from London to Japan specifically to inspect a R34 Nismo Z-Tune that came up for sale. Inspected the car and then were told they don't want to sell it any more...

I got a little bit sick to my stomach for your friend when I read this. Oh man, what a kick in the soft parts...

Evo X

The HHI study was conducted by a third party in 2015 so it doesn't include the base Macan, which I'm sure lowered that statistic. Also not sure if outliers such as Seinfeld, Leno and other celebrities and wealthy people raised that average quite a bit.

I think the specific numbers weren't the point, but the disparity between competitors and a demonstration of the level of luxury and expectations many potential buyers will expect from us.

On another note, going to PEC on Friday! Super excited to check it out. Will ask what kind of discounts I can get on a group outing for GAF while I'm there. Lol

No Love

Banned

V6 F-Type sounds like crap IMO. Hear them in person everyday. Super meh

I see. I guess I'm just keep lurking Craiglist, other car forums, and people with S chassis just keep learning more bout it and trying to plan my build ahead of time for when I do eventually try to find and get a S13 Coupe. Anyone have any idea how much it is to import a car from Japan? (just wondering. Just using this as a last resort if I can't find a good conditioned or gutted S13 Coupe)

imported s13's are usually in the $8k - $12k range depending on condition and engine. Right now most of the ones imported probably have ca18 engines, as the sr20's didn't come until 1991 model year cars..

If this is a project car, you could always just buy a standard 240sx with a KA24, then turbo it. Turbo ka's can be quite reliable when done properly. That and better parts availability. I have an SR20, and getting parts for it can suck sometimes. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I would just turbo a KA.

I hope he at least got a vacation out of it.

GHG

V6 F-Type sounds like crap IMO. Hear them in person everyday. Super meh

It's one of the best sounding cars on the road IMO.

Maybe your ears are broken?
Or maybe mine are? Even if they are, I don't care, I like the feeling a good exhaust note gives me.

KRaZyAmmo

imported s13's are usually in the $8k - $12k range depending on condition and engine. Right now most of the ones imported probably have ca18 engines, as the sr20's didn't come until 1991 model year cars..

If this is a project car, you could always just buy a standard 240sx with a KA24, then turbo it. Turbo ka's can be quite reliable when done properly. That and better parts availability. I have an SR20, and getting parts for it can suck sometimes. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I would just turbo a KA.
I plan on it being a project car, But for now just planning it out until I get the actual car. Also I hear from a friend that Sr20s have rocker arm issues. Is that true?

I plan on it being a project car, But for now just planning it out until I get the actual car. Also I hear from a friend that Sr20s have rocker arm issues. Is that true?

Not really. If you're racing the car or just spending a lot of time near redline, its possible that a rocker arm could fall off. There are rocker arm stoppers though which are just plates that sit above and make sure they cant fly off. I don't have them on my car. I did re-shim the rocker arms when I did my timing chain though.

If you're building an SR20, you might as well buy them anyway, they're not too expensive.

these
f77e08a3-30ba-4db2-863b-85e1a0d06e6b_zpsbadfdd9d.jpg

that go here
IMAG0072.jpg

No Love

Banned
It's one of the best sounding cars on the road IMO.

Maybe your ears are broken?
Or maybe mine are? Even if they are, I don't care, I like the feeling a good exhaust note gives me.

Just have higher standards than most people. My M5 shits on 98% of the cars around me and there is a massive variety of anything you could imagine. Vettes,GTR's,F Types,Mustangs, M4's, GT500's, Aston Martins, Audi R8's, you name it, it's probably here. Only cars around me that sound on the same levels are a GT3 and a twin turbo Gallardo. ITB'd V8 with headers makes crazy exotic sounds, who would've thought?

I find that most people don't really know what a good exhaust note sounds like, and certain motors have a massive harmonic advantage.

Futaba

HKS is gonna try to take the Tsukuba Circuit record back from Under Suzuki with a new time attack ZN6 build GTS800. It's built specifically FOR Tsukuba circuit.

fuck me that's a lot of heavy modification to the engine bay, just look at those strut towers!

I feel for him I really do, that's a long assed flight to get denied like that, certainly makes me feel a little better about my experience, though not in a great way :(

Infiniti's previous VQ engine IMO is still one of the best sounding V6's to ever exist.

It sounded so unique to my ears I could literally tell you when an Infiniti was nearby without looking.

Sadly they killed off whatever thing that made it sound like that and the new Infiniti engines are just total pieces of trash. It honestly sounds like a Gran Turismo engine to me these days lol.

No Love

Banned
Infiniti's previous VQ engine IMO is still one of the best sounding V6's to ever exist.

It sounded so unique to my ears I could literally tell you when an Infiniti was nearby without looking.

Sadly they killed off whatever thing that made it sound like that and the new Infiniti engines are just total pieces of trash. It honestly sounds like a Gran Turismo engine to me these days lol.

VQ engine sounds like garbage. Terrible annoying exhaust note. The harmonics are so weak and hollow and approaching a flatuent rasp. IMO Honda J series engine blows it out of the water for exhaust note when both have an exhaust. BMW's S50 and S52 sound 10x meaner.

Xdye7

not bad with a nice cam

ok depending on exhaust, generally just loud

alright, nothing special

for people who think loud is good

lol

see above

Aston Martins

V12's sound great

Audi R8's

both sound fine, v10 especially

you name it, it's probably here

you sure did the variety of cars in SoCal justice by naming off half a dozen modern cars found in any city with a half decent economy. No mention of exotics rarely seen anywhere else? Or even the more common v12 lambos and ferraris? Older cars? Straight piped m5's that can be picked up by any kid or schmuck with 10 grand sound so good bro

sound excellent being driven to whole foods never breaking 2k rpm or valet parked at the beach/mall. Extra points if it's an RS and purple

twin turbo Gallardo

dang who would've thought they sound better than a stock 2008 rental

I find that most people don't really know what a good exhaust note sounds like, and certain motors have a massive harmonic advantage.

You have exquisite taste my dude. Sound isn't subjective in the slightest. What music do you listen to, so we can follow in your all knowing footsteps and hope to become truly enlightened.

Looking forward to what $100k+ car you're sure to be picking up next and of course further improving with e85 and bolt ons for a guaranteed 420whp and torque increase. Will you sell your handful of mint bmws that were so reluctantly let go by their previous owners and acura typically driven by single women in menopause from San Pedro? Or you think they'll make good beaters?

Anyway jokes aside, I'm impartial to the mk4 Jetta with a nice 3" exhaust. Sure you lose some feet pounds of torque, but the extra power increase in the top end of the speedo where the variable timing kicks in makes up the difference. Don't even get me started on the further improvements with a cone air intake cold filter and throttle booster

J-Rzez

Pretty sure engine was a confirmed 3.0L I6 with ~400HP.

Hmm. While I was hoping it would be the I6 (smoothnwas) and not their V6, I kinda expected a bit more than that out of it. Now, if the car handles amazing, and is priced correctly to said power and handling that will be interesting. I'm just worried about both of those.

Its weird but I kind of was hoping for more. But again, price-to-performance ratio. If they release a 400hp car that isn't one of the best handling cars out there for 50-60k base, its DoA.

So many questions need to be answered.

Out of all the possible Japanese sports cars, I just want the Supra more to live up to its name and be awesome. The MKIV maybe my fav cars obtainable here in the states during the 90s that wasn't an exotic. Maybe I just secretly want Toyota to have a pulse again.

You have exquisite taste my dude. Sound isn't subjective in the slightest. What music do you listen to, so we can follow in your all knowing footsteps and hope to become truly enlightened.

Looking forward to what $100k+ car you're sure to be picking up next and of course further improving with e85 and bolt ons for a guaranteed 420whp and torque increase. Will you sell your handful of mint bmws that were so reluctantly let go by their previous owners and acura typically driven by single women in menopause from San Pedro? Or you think they'll make good beaters?

Anyway jokes aside, I'm impartial to the mk4 Jetta with a nice 3" exhaust. Sure you lose some feet pounds of torque, but the extra power increase in the top end of the speedo where the variable timing kicks in makes up the difference. Don't even get me started on the further improvements with a cone air intake cold filter and throttle booster

lmao. all so true.

GHG

not bad with a nice cam

alright, nothing special

lol

see above

V12's sound great

you sure did the variety of cars in SoCal justice by naming off half a dozen modern cars found in any city with a half decent economy. No mention of exotics rarely seen anywhere else? Or even the more common v12 lambos and ferraris? Older cars? Straight piped m5's that can be picked up by any kid or schmuck with 10 grand sound so good bro

sound excellent being driven to whole foods never breaking 2k rpm or valet parked at the beach/mall. Extra points if it's an RS and purple

You know, I was going to reply by saying "sound is subjective", but this is far, far better.

matmanx1

The HHI study was conducted by a third party in 2015 so it doesn't include the base Macan, which I'm sure lowered that statistic. Also not sure if outliers such as Seinfeld, Leno and other celebrities and wealthy people raised that average quite a bit.

I think the specific numbers weren't the point, but the disparity between competitors and a demonstration of the level of luxury and expectations many potential buyers will expect from us.

On another note, going to PEC on Friday! Super excited to check it out. Will ask what kind of discounts I can get on a group outing for GAF while I'm there. Lol

Do it!!! Looking forward to your impressions of PEC. I loved it. It's a Porsche fan's playground.

No Love

Banned
not bad with a nice cam

alright, nothing special

lol

see above

V12's sound great

The only joke I see here is you. You sure spent a lot of time on that post. Sorry that I didn't want to be your private message friend on GAF and didn't want to talk with you about Evos. I don't really waste time with chumps in that scene anymore.

I didn't think you'd lash out so strongly, little guy. Next time I won't write my opinions about stuff that upsets you so much and causes you to spend a bunch of time trying to pick apart someone's opinion.

Oh man its been awhile since we had some auto-gaf drama.

Just filled up the NB and im getting 29mpg average.
Not bad considering half of the tank was me ripping on it.

Top Bottom