• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Suave

Sony is losing me with their exclusives this year - zero interest in this kind of game.

I hope for them this will be different across Europe, how popular is Smash Brothers in our region anyway? Maybe it's huge and I'm mistaken, but to me this seems to be another "american" franchise like Twisted Metal. I don't know if they can afford too many of those.

botty

Banned
i hope to GodTina. This game will be my GOTY and i havent even played it yet

scaled.php

The haters will be bitter.

ny-winning.gif

This explains a lot. Despite the SSB shell, there seems to be a lot of difference under the hood.

EDIT: Actually the impressions video pretty much compares SSB and this game.

Interesting tidbit: You can use D-pad or Analog to move around

def sim

They should have chosen a unified art direction for all the worlds instead of using each IP's individual style. The mishmash of Sony art doesn't work as well as Nintendo's.

I'm still on board, but I can't help but be bothered by the look.

zroid

Banned
yes, the one with the most KOs dealt is the winner, being KO'd deducts from your score

So it's like "Time" mode from SSB. :p

I'm still unclear as to whether you have to use Supers to KO people, or if that's just a way to guarantee it. Also, what happens if you get knocked off the stage?

prwxv3

Oh boy people are starting to say that the characters are carbon copies of smash bros characters and they stole the final smash idea. On that great DToid preview that Dale wrote it seems like no one read it and are just spouting off "Its just a copy of SB fuck you sony".

edgefusion

I think it looks awesome. I hope they have a massive character roster, I'm looking forward to seeing who else they might've snagged for it. I'm kind of down about all the hate it's getting though, yeah it's a Smash clone but it still looks like a lot of fun. I think it'll do Smash good for that 'genre' to be expanded a bit in the long run anyway. Here's to Xbox All-Stars! :p

First thoughts....

Why does Sandover Village look worse than the HD classic version?

Why is everything so brown?

Why are all the colours so muted?

Why does it all feel a bit po faced rather than irreverent and fun?

From what little we've seen so far i'd probably only buy this if it was 15.00 on PSN.

.... but then you see it in motion and it's redeemed

Thoraxes

So now it's Smash Bros. without a damage building component. Kinda weird to not have player damage be a main factor to the combat.

KingK

Everyone needs to watch these videos. The impressions videos are really long and shed a lot of light on the game, explaining the mechanics and how it feels different from Smash, etc.

zroid

Banned
So now it's Smash Bros. without a damage building component. Kinda weird to not have player damage be a main factor to the combat.

It kind of is in a way. It's ridiculously similar to Smash except the key difference being, rather than inflict damage, you increase your power meter.

But in both cases, the end result is the same. Your Supers make it easier to KO opponents, just like their damage does.

Anywho-- checking out those videos now! Prove me wrong!

darkwing

I think its awesome like some said its like a boxing match KO as many times as you can and you will win.

yup, you would like to have your special meter full al the time, makes the action more frantic lol

but it's too early, there maybe a few game modes, heck, we didn't know there was an online tournament mode lol

Parappa is going to piss a lot of people off. He seems like a massive troll character. He's able to drop his boombox which will release AP orbs to pick up. Other players can pick that up but if they get caught in the beats from the boombox it'll cause them to freeze. His Level 3 super is also the only one that is an instant kill on every character on screen no matter what.

The guys in the GT video said that the tournament that the final round of the tournament that took place there featured 3 Parappa's and 1 Kratos.

IDK, I'm thinking the "Score with Supers" mechanic is going to hold the game back in the long run. Not enough variety in how to score. Also, level 3 Supers look like auto win moves. At least most of the Final Smashes in Brawl were avoidable. Hoping for a demo before release.

Tookay

we should have PASBR vs Smash Bro garbage thread

You mean the three or so we have running aren't already?

IDK, I'm thinking the "Score with Supers" mechanic is going to hold the game back in the long run. Not enough variety in how to score. Also, level 3 Supers look like auto win moves. At least most of the Final Smashes in Brawl were avoidable. Hoping for a demo before release.

Yeah, this is an interesting twist, but I see big problems in the future resulting from the abuse/repetitiveness of it.

Loudninja

Parappa is going to piss a lot of people off. He seems like a massive troll character. He's able to drop his boombox which will release AP orbs to pick up. Other players can pick that up but if they get caught in the beats from the boombox it'll cause them to freeze. His Level 3 super is also the only one that is an instant kill on every character on screen no matter what.

The guys in the GT video said that the tournament that the final round of the tournament that took place there featured 3 Parappa's and 1 Kratos.
So awesome lol.

yup, you would like to have your special meter full al the time, makes the action more frantic lol

but it's too early, there maybe a few game modes, heck, we didn't know there was an online tournament mode lol
Sounds like it!
The game features a number of cool game modes for both single and multiplayer, with a focus on online play which features a robust tournament mode. Players will be able to compete against each other as well as play cooperatively. We can’t wait for you all to try it for yourself.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/see-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-in-action/

Foffy

Banned
This looks rather underwhelming. I think it's quite clear you can see the game is heavily influenced by one particular Nintendo franchise, and in that sense it looks like it's trying to just be a carbon copy of it. There are some different mechanics to be sure, but the entire outline to the game looks as if they took Smash Bros and tried to put a Sony spin it.

What I find underwhelming is it all just looks so boring. Perhaps this is because Sony has a rather weak catalog of standout characters and worlds, despite almost all of the franchises represented in the game so far to be from quality games.

darkwing

IDK, I'm thinking the "Score with Supers" mechanic is going to hold the game back in the long run. Not enough variety in how to score. Also, level 3 Supers look like auto point moves. At least most of the Final Smashes in Brawl were avoidable. Hoping for a demo before release.

not really, you can still avoid Parappa's skateboard move

Thoraxes

It kind of is in a way. It's ridiculously similar to Smash except the key difference being, rather than inflict damage, you increase your power meter.

But in both cases, the end result is the same. Your Supers make it easier to KO opponents, just like their damage does.

The main difference though is that since player-damage isn't a factor towards KOs and supers are, it'll change which characters you approach to kill first.

In this game it (seems like) doesn't really matter as much as opposed to say, killing someone with the highest damage modifier to be guaranteed a kill for points. You can potentially sit in the corner spamming the whole match, get a super and kill everyone.

zroid

Banned
IDK, I'm thinking the "Score with Supers" mechanic is going to hold the game back in the long run. Not enough variety in how to score. Also, level 3 Supers look like auto point moves. At least most of the Final Smashes in Brawl were avoidable. Hoping for a demo before release.

How do the level 1 and 2 Supers work?

In the GT video they do say that all of the Level 3's (except Parappa's) take an element of skill to wipeout all characters on screen. The guy that won the tournament with Parappa said that he actually won by doing two Level 2's and a Level 1 while everyone else was just trying to build to Level 3.

not really, you can still avoid Parappa's skateboard move

Was that his level 3? Cause Radec's and Kratos' look really tough to avoid.

In the GT video they do say that all of the Level 3's (except Parappa's) take an element of skill to wipeout all characters on screen. The guy that won the tournament with Parappa said that he actually won by doing two Level 2's and a Level 1 while everyone else was just trying to build to Level 3.

Hmmm, we'll see.

ReaperXL7

Alright, tons of stuff in the OP for now. I need to head to bed, will update more in the morning once I wake up, and get my shit together.

Looking forward to all that tasty salt that will no doubt fill this thread.

All the info sounds fantastic but this really stands out to me.

- get excited about the control, because it's outstanding. SuperBot really nailed it. It's fast, super-responsive, and never gets in the way of the crazy action. The in-air stuff is not floaty at all; jumps do what you need them to, when you need them to. I never had a problem blocking, platforming or recovering.

Thank fucking god yes!

Kyon

Banned
Cloud would be perfect for this

I'm a guy btw, and yeah I want to see some Nariko vs Kratos action.

Pop fans say ''sis" to eachother lol "dude" isnt cool anymore :p doesnt mean you are a girl or anything. Just fun talk.

Wow the tier whoring begins already

NICE LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom